The RRB Group D exam is one of the most anticipated recruitment exams in our country. On the behalf of the Railway Recruitment Board (RRB), the Railway Recruitment Cell (RRC) conducts this RRB Group D recruitment exam. Here we have provided the complete details about this RRB Group D recruitment 2019-20.
RRB Group D 2019-20 – complete details
In this RRC Group D recruitment 2020, candidates will be selected for the posts like Assistant Pointsman, Hospital Assistant, Assistant Bridge, etc. Here we have provided the very important details of this recruitment process. Candidates check your eligibility status and do your Railway Group D apply online process. Before that check the tentative dates of various events related to the RRB Group D 2020 recruitment.
RRB Group Date Exam Date – latest update
As per the official notification released by Indian railways on 5th September 2020, the CBT 1 of RRB/RRC Group D exam would start from 15th Dec 2020. More than 1 lakh vacancies were announced for various RRB group D posts in 2019. This is one of most awaited exams in India, with more than 2 crore applicants have applied for it.
The tentative dates for submitting your RRB Group D online application, admit card release, exam, and other related events are available here.
|RRB Group D Recruitment 2019-20 Tentative Dates|
|Release of Notification||March 2019|
|Online Application||Mar to April 2019|
|Exam Date||15 December 2020|
|Result||To be announced|
RRB Group D notification
RRB ALP notification contains all the important information needed by the candidate about the examination process and job profile. It contains various details which are given below
- Important dates
- Eligibility criteria
- Selection process
- Application fees
- Exam pattern
- Apply online guidelines
- General instructions etc
RRB Group D Apply Online
For Railway Group D apply online process, follow steps given here as per the notification. With the official notification, you can refer to the apply online dates.
- Log in to the official website of RRB.
- You can see the apply online link in the careers section. Click the apply online link and start your registration process.
- In the registration process provide details of your personal information.
- After completing registration, get the login credentials. Use it and open your RRB Group D online application form.
- Complete your application form without leaving any of the mandatory fields empty.
- Upload the scanned documents at necessary places.
- Submit your application and pay the application fee through online or offline mode.
Complete details of RRB Group D Application Status
- Photograph of size 35mm X 45mm (JPG/JPEG format) with name and date printed on it.
- It should be scanned with 100 DPI.
- The permissible size of the photograph must range between 20-50 KB.
- The SC / ST should upload the scanned copy of their SC / ST certificates (JPG / JPEG format, 50kb – 100kb). It is to avail the free travel facility (Second Class Railway Pass).
In the table the RRB Group D application fee details are available. You can pay the application fee through internet banking or debit/credit cards or SBI Bank Challan Payment mode or Post Office Challan Payment mode.
|Category of Candidate||Application Fee|
|Candidates other than the fee concession category||Rs.500 (Rs.400 will be refunded duly on appearing in CBT)|
|SC / ST / PWD / Female / Ex-Serviceman / Minorities / Transgender /|
/ Economically backward class
|Rs.250 (This fee of 250 will be refunded duly deducting bank charges, on appearing in CBT).|
RRB Group D Vacancy
The RRB Group D 2019-20 notification, complete vacancy details are provided. It contains RRB Group D region-wise vacancy list. You can easily check the category vacancy available for each post.
- RRB Group D 2019 vacancy – 103769
In the previous Railway Group D recruitment conducted in 2018, a total of 62907 vacancy were announced.
As per the Railway Group D notification 2020, the candidates have to satisfy a set of eligibility norms. Only then they can participate in this selection process. The list of RRB Group D 2020 eligibility criteria are,
- Age Limit
- Educational Qualification
Here the list of people belonging to various nations who can apply for RRB Group D recruitment are given. In this list, other than Indian Citizens, all others should provide the eligibility certificate.
- Citizens of India or Bhutan or Nepal
- a Tibetan refugee who came over to India, before the 1st January 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- Persons of Indian origin migrated from Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Burma, East African Countries of Zambia, Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
The RRB Group D age limit details are,
- Minimum Age – 18 years
- Maximum Age – 33 years
Also, the age relaxation is available for the candidates as per the category.
|ST / SC candidates||5 years|
|OBC (Non-creamy layer) candidates||3 years|
|Ex-Servicemen candidates with a minimum of 6 months of continuous service after the attestation||Up to extent of service|
in Defence + 3 years
|PWD candidates||UR||10 years|
|OBC (Non-creamy layer)||13 years|
|SC / ST||15 years|
|Candidates have ordinarily been domiciled in the State of Jammu & Kashmir during the period from 01.01.1980 to 31.12.1989||5 years|
|Candidates serving Group ‘D’ and Erstwhile Group ‘C’ Railway Staff, Substitutes|
and Casual Labour in Railways with 3 years of minimum service (Either in continuous or broken spells)
|OBC (Non-creamy layer)||43 years|
|SC / ST||45 years|
|Candidates working in Quasi Administrative offices of the|
Railway organization such as Co-operative Societies, Railway Canteens, and Institutes
|Up to the period of service rendered|
(or) 5 Years, whichever is lower.
|Women candidates, who are widowed, divorced or judicially separated from husband but not remarried||UR||35 years|
|OBC (Non-creamy layer)||38 years|
|SC / ST||40 years|
|Course Completed Act Apprentices who are applying for posts with minimum qualification of ITI / Course Completed Act Apprenticeship.||will be relaxed up to the extent of Apprentice Training undergone by them under the Apprentice Act 1961.|
|Candidates those who have started Act Apprentice under the Apprenticeship Act before the age of 25 years||UR||35 years|
|OBC (Non-creamy layer)||38 years|
|SC / ST||40 years|
The Railway Group D educational qualification details are,
- ITI / 10th Pass from NCVT / SCVT recognized institutions or its equivalent Or National Apprenticeship Certificate (NAC) provided by NCVT.
- 10th Pass + National Apprenticeship Certificate (NAC) provided by institutions recognized by NCVT / SCVT.
- Candidates awaiting for final exam results of the prescribed qualification SHOULD NOT apply.
- Diploma / Engineering Degree will not be accepted in place of completed Act Apprenticeship / ITI.
- Graduate Act Apprentice is not accepted in place of Completed Act Apprenticeship.
RRB Group D Salary & Allowances
If you are preparing for this exam, you must know the RRB Group D salary and allowances. The entry-level Grade Pay for each post in Railway Group D is fixed.
The RRB Group D Pay Scale i.e. the basic salary of candidates selected in RRB Group D recruitment as set by RRB is rupees 18000/- per month. Check the details below
|RRB Group D Salary – Railway Group D Salary Structure (Level 1 as per 7th CPC Pay Matrix)|
|RRB Group D Pay Scale||Pay Band||Grade Pay||RRB Group D Grade Pay – Entry Level|
Apart from the above pay-scale, RRB Group D employees are entitled to various allowances as well. These are mentioned below:
- Dearness Allowance (DA)
- House Rent Allowance (HRA)
- Transport Allowance (TA)
- Allowance for Night Duty
- Overtime Allowance (OTA)
- Daily Allowance, Mileage Allowance beyond 8 km
- Compensation in case of Holidays
- Fixed Conveyance Allowance
- Conveyance Allowance to Doctors
- Special Compensatory Allowances for candidates from (Tribal/Scheduled Area)
- Special Allowance to Railway School Teachers
- Special Allowance for child care such as educational Allowance and allowance for women with disabilities
The RRB Group D house rent allowance for different posts varies as per the city posted. The table given below explains the percentage of HRA allowed depending on the job location of the candidate.
|HRA in RRB Group D Salary|
|Category of Cities||HRA (after 7th Pay Commission)|
|X Tier I||24%|
|Y Tier II||16%|
|Z Tier III||8%|
RRB Group D: Posts & Job Profile
RRB Group D Level 1 Post
Go through the table below to know the salary of RRC Group D Level 1 Post after the implementation of the 7th pay commission.
|Name of the Post||Department||Payscale|
|Assistant (Workshop)||Mechanical||Rs. 18,000/- (Level 1 of 7th Pay Commission Pay Matrix) plus allowances as admissible|
|Assistant Depot (Stores)||Stores|
|Assistant Loco Shed (Diesel)||Mechanical|
|Assistant Loco Shed (Electrical)||Electrical|
|Assistant Operations (Electrical)||Electrical|
|Assistant Signal & Telecom||Signal and Telecommunication (S and T)|
|Assistant Track Machine||Engineering|
|Assistant TL & AC||Electrical|
|Assistant TL & AC (Workshop)||Electrical|
|Assistant Works (Workshop)||Engineering|
|Track Maintainer Grade IV||Engineering|
RRB Group D Job Profile & Promotions
The recruitment of RRB Group D includes various technical and non-technical posts. The job profile of various RRB Group D employees differs as per the hierarchy level of different railway departments. Candidates who join RRB Group D based on their performances are promoted to higher posts. Also, candidates become eligible for departmental examinations after 3 years of service.
The RRB Group D Job profile along with various RRB Group D Posts and Promotion hierarchy are mentioned below:
|RRB Group D Job Profile & Promotion|
|RRB Group D Posts & Department||RRB Group D Job Profile||RRB Group D Promotion|
|Assistant Workshop – Mechanical||· Preventive and breakdown maintenance of coaches and wagons take place in the workshop department.|
· Employees are posted in a carriage and wagon workshop
· Ensures the security and maintenance of coaches.
· A section (eg: a Bogie shop, Wheel shop or Furnish shop, etc.) is allotted to the Assistant workshop.
|Assistant C&W (Carriage and Wagon)|
|· Trip schedule Maintenance|
· Addressing the issues of BPC (Brake Power Certificate)
· Pit line Maintenance
· Intermediate Overhaul Maintenance
· ART (Accident Relief Train) Maintenance
|Assistant Bridge – Engineering||· To assist the seniors in the construction of new bridges under railway authority.|
· Ensure the availability of materials required in proper quantity and quality and act as a helping hand in designing the overall construction.
|Assistant Loco Shed (Diesel) – Mechanical||· Taking care of the overhauling of diesel locomotives.||Section Engineer|
|Assistant Depot (Stores)||· Procurement and supply of components to major mechanical, electrical, signal, and telecom workshops for maintenance of coaches, wagons.|
· Assistant (Depot) also supplies spare parts to major diesel and electric locomotive sheds.
|Depot Material Superintendent Grade I|
|Assistant Loco Shed – Electrical||· The electrical SSE in electrical is responsible for working on the TRS sheds engaged in overhauling and assembly level maintenance of 25KV AC electric Locos in electrical loco sheds.||Section Engineer|
|Assistant Pointsman – Traffic||· To handle switches or railroad points|
· To control the lever to direct the train to the required tracks
|Assistant Operations – Electrical||· Ensures electrical supply and assists the operation manager.|
· Under the supervision of a senior engineer, he does the maintenance of electrical appliances of the train and station.
|Assistant Signal & Telecom – S&T||· Works under the supervision of the senior officer.|
· To provide signals to the trains as per the situations.
· Part of the panel interlocking system. 4. Also hands over the token to the driver after granting line clearance to enter the block section.
|Assistant TL & AC (Train Lights & AC) – Electrical||· To look over the TL & AC (Train Lights and AC).|
· To look over the proper functioning of the train’s electrical appliances and connections eg: proper functioning of signal LEDs, AC controllers, power Supplies, stabilizations, etc.
|Assistant Track Machine – Engineering||· Repairs the machines under the supervision of seniors.|
· Also ensures the availability of tools/ gadgets required for the effective working of the track machine.
|Assistant TL & AC (Workshop) – Electrical||· To ensure the availability of tools and gadgets required by assistant TL & AC Engineers.|
· To look over the maintenance of lights, bulbs, fans, AC ducts, temperature control of ACs, stabilizations & all other electrical appliances.
|Assistant Works – Engineering||· Enrolled in the manufacturing department of all kinds of rail assets like manufacturing of coaches, every appliance of trains, platforms sheds, etc.|
· They have to create new designs for the betterment of Indian Railways.
|Assistant TRD (Traction Distribution) – Electrical||· Responsible for the maintenance of electrical assets like electrical locomotives, Electrical Multiple Units (EMUs), and Mainline Electrical Multiple Units (MEMUs).|
· Responsible for all technical and organizational matters connected with the efficient maintenance and operation of the power supply installations, OHE, and RC equipment.
|Assistant Works (Workshop) – Engineering||· To assist the seniors in manufacturing|
· To ensure the availability of materials (tools and gadgets) required.
· Handles all the fitting and welding work in manufacturing under the supervision of their seniors.
|Track Maintainer Grade IV||· Maintaining tracks|
· Will have to walk along the track checking the condition of the track, attend to minor works like tightening/providing clamps, joints, etc.
· Keep an eye over the breakdown of tracks
· Provides proper, safe and smooth track to the trains
· Look over every repair and maintenance of the track line.
|Hospital Assistant – Medical||· Providing proper care to the ailing passenger during treatment|
· Taking care of medical aids & their requirements in the stations
· Cleaning Medical Equipment.
Read more about RRB group D Salary and Job profile details here
The RRB Group D selection process includes,
- Computer-Based Test (CBT)
- Physical Efficiency Test (PET)
- Document Verification
RRB Group D Exam Pattern
The RRB Group D exam pattern for the computer-based test is given below.
- Total mark for the exam is 100.
- The total exam time duration is 90 minutes.
- The negative mark for each wrong answer is 1/3rd of the mark assigned to each question.
- From the CBT, candidates will be shortlisted for the Physical Efficiency Test (PET).
|Railway Group D CBT Exam Pattern|
|Sections||No. of Questions||Total Time Duration|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||30|
|General Awareness on Current Affairs||20|
|Physical Efficiency Test|
RRB Group D Syllabus
|Name of Subject||Topics|
|Mathematics||Number system, LCM, HCF, BODMAS, Age Calculations, Ratio and Proportion, Decimals, Fractions, Time and Distance, Percentages, Mensuration, Time and Work, Simple and Compound Interest, Algebra, Profit and Loss, Elementary Statistics, Geometry and Trigonometry, Square root, Calendar & Clock, Pipes & Cistern, etc.|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||Syllogism, Analogies, Coding and Decoding, Alphabetical and Number Series, Mathematical operations, Relationships, Jumbling, Interpretation and Sufficiency, Venn Diagram, Data Conclusions, and Decision making, Analytical Reasoning, Similarities and Differences, Classification, Directions, Statement – Arguments and Assumptions, etc.|
|General Science||The 10th standard level syllabus covering Physics, Chemistry, and Life Sciences.|
|General Awareness on Current Affairs||Sports, Culture, Science & Technology, Personalities, Economics, Politics, and any other subjects of importance.|
Full RRB Group D Syllabus
Here we have provided the preparation tips for all the sections of the RRB Group D CBT exam.
General Intelligence & Reasoning:
In the reasoning section, practice will make you perfect. Even if it is an easier topic, don’t ignore the practice. Only then you can find the areas where you make mistakes. Syllogism, inequalities, coding-decoding, direction sense, etc topics that will gain you marks very easily. Railway Group D 2020 mock test practice, will help you to convert all your weak zones into the strong zones.
For this topic, you have to cover the basic topics of school standard physics, chemistry, and life science.
- For each day, cover certain topics from physics, chemistry, and life science.
- On long term preparation, you can easily cover more than 90% of the topics.
- Revise all the concepts that are confusing in nature.
- Attend RRB Group D mock tests and improve your subject knowledge.
- Practice with previous year question papers.
In this section, more calculations and complex formulas are involved. So learn all the basic maths operations and practice them rigorously. Additionally, learn more short cut methods which will save time for you. Speed and accuracy are more important. So, don’t get panic during this section. Only RRB Group D 2020 mock test practice helps you to develop accuracy, speed, and time management skills.
General Awareness on Current Affairs:
For the Railway Group D exam, focus more on this section. Because this is the section in which many candidates will fail to score mark. So study well and revise all the data regularly. In free time attempt more quizzes. f you score more in this section, then your success probability will be higher.
RRB Group D Admit Card
The RRB Group D admit card will release on the official website. To download your admit card, follow the steps given below.
- Go to the official website of RRB.
- In the careers section, click the RRB Group D 2020 exam admit card download link.
- Give the details of your registration number and password.
- Enter the captcha code and press the login button.
- Take a printout of the RRB Group D admit card. Without the exam admit card, you cannot take part in the exam.
RRB Group D Previous Year cut off
Before the RRB Group Previous year exam analysis, check out the previous year RRB group D cut off depending upon the region and category. This will give you a hint of the marks required to be scored in the exam to get qualified for the next stage.
RRB Group D Previous Year Exam Analysis:
The overall level of mathematics questions asked in railway group d exam is moderate. You have sufficient time to attempt 25 questions of this section. Take a look at the average number of questions asked from each topic:
|Topic||No of Questions||Level|
|Pipe & Cistern||1||Easy-Moderate|
|Time and Work||2||Easy|
|Time, Speed and Distance||2||Easy|
|DI (Pie Chart)||2||Moderate|
Railway Group-D General Intelligence & Reasoning Exam Analysis
General Intelligence & Reasoning section in RRB Group D exam is considered to be easy. It is not calculating and you can easily attempt 25 questions in 25-30 minutes. Check out the distribution of questions:
|Topic||No of Questions||Level|
|Odd one out||3-4||Easy|
|Statement & Conclusion||2||Easy-Moderate|
Railway Group-D General Science Exam Analysis
In Railway Group-D Exam 2018, questions from Science were directly based on basic concepts and were of easy-Moderate level. No formula applying questions were the part of the exam.
- How many water molecules are present in washing soda?
- One question from Newton’s law.
- One question on the pH level of salt
- one question on reproduction of the plant.
- Which of the following is the heaviest planet?
- One question from ohm’s law.
- Which of the element is the last in the list of Newland Octaves?
- What is the critical angle of Diamond?
- Which gas is used in an electric bulb?
- Which virus affects bacteria?
- What is the pH value of blood?
- How many elements are present in the 18th group?
- What is the formula of Hard Water?
- What is the chemical formula of Carbon Monoxide?
- One question from Flemings left-hand rule.
|Topic||No of Questions||Level|
General Awareness On Current affairs Exam Analysis
In the General awareness section, the questions are usually asked from the current affairs of the past year. You must be well versed with the major events of the past year before appearing for this section.Some important you have to prepare like- Important days, Sports, Founders of Organisations, Current Affairs, Awards, National and internal News, Static GK.
RRB Group D Result
The Railway Group D result will release on the official website. After the completion of each stage, the candidates will wait for the result status. The first result of the recruitment is for the Computer-based test. The candidates passing in this result will take part in the physical efficiency test. The merit list will release after the completion of the physical efficiency test.
Regional RRB Website Links
|Ahmadabad||Click Here to Apply|
|Ajmer||Click Here to Apply|
|Allahabad||Click Here to Apply|
|Bangalore||Click Here to Apply|
|Bhopal||Click Here to Apply|
|Bhubaneshwar||Click Here to Apply|
|Bilaspur||Click Here to Apply|
|Chandigarh||Click Here to Apply|
|Chennai||Click Here to Apply|
|Gorakhpur||Click Here to Apply|
|Guwahati||Click Here to Apply|
|Kolkata||Click Here to Apply|
|Mumbai||Click Here to Apply|
|Patna||Click Here to Apply|
|Ranchi||Click Here to Apply|
|Secunderabad||Click Here to Apply|
RRC Railway Group D Recruitment – Click Here for Official Website
Here we have added some FAQs related to the RRB Group D 2020 recruitment.
Q: What is the RRB Group D 2019-20 selection process?
A: The section process involves a computer-based test, Physical efficiency test, and document verification.
Q: What is the total mark for the RRB Group D online Computer-based exam?
A: The total mark for the computer-based test (CBT) is 100.
Q: Is there any sectional time for the RRB Railway Group D Computer-Based Test?
A: For this test, there is no sectional time limits. In the given 90 minutes you can swap between the sections.
Q: What is the negative mark for the RRB Group D Computer-Based Test?
A: 1/3rd of marks assigned to the question will be deducted for each wrong answer.
Q: In RRB Group D Computer-Based Test, how many sections are available?
A: The test includes 4 sections – Mathematics, General Science, General awareness on current affairs, and General Intelligence & Reasoning.
Q: What is the permissible age limit for RRB Group D 2020 recruitment?
A: 18 to 33 years.
Q: I belong to Bhutan. Can I apply for the Railway Group D 2020 recruitment exams?
A: Yes you can apply. You should have the eligibility certificate provided by the government.
Q: What is the Railway Group D 2020 application fee?
A: The RRB Group D application fee is,
- SC / ST / PWD / Female / Ex-Serviceman / Minorities / Transgender / Economically backward class – Rs. 250.
- Other candidates – Rs.500.
Q: What is the age relaxation for SC / ST candidates in RRB Group D 2020 recruitment?
A: For SC / ST candidates, 5 years of age relaxation is available.
Q: What is the RRB Group D basic pay scale?
A: The selected candidates will get basic pay of Rs. 18000/- per month.
Note: Keep following us, as IBPS Guide publishes the important government notifications at the right time with a detailed and essential description of eligibility criteria. Don’t miss any important notifications.