Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Karan Johar unveils his wax statue at Madame Tussauds Singapore
- Bollywood filmmaker Karan Johar has unveiled his wax statue at Madame Tussauds in Singapore with his mother Hiroo Johar.
- He became India’s first film-maker to have a wax statue at Madame Tussauds in Singapore.
|Singapore Capital||Singapore City|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
‘Experimental learning’ to be punch line for CBSE in 2019-20
- The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has come up with a new idea in order to replace rote learning with practical learning. The idea is to have a unique punchline every year by CBSE. This year, the punchline that CBSE will be using is ‘experimental learning’. This has been confirmed by the CBSE secretary Anurag Tripathi.
- CBSE has also launched a new App called ‘Shiksha Vani’ for disseminating the information to all its stakeholders. The mobile App is available for download only on the android platform as of now.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Phayeng Village Becomes India’s 1st Carbon-Positive Settlement
- Phayeng Village in Imphal West district of Manipur has become India’s first carbon-positive settlement.
- A village is given carbon-positive tag if it sequesters more carbon than it emits, slowing accumulation of greenhouse gases (GHGs) and mitigating effects of climate change. Phayeng Village is scheduled caste village of the Chakpa community.
- It provides 100% funding to activities under it which are implemented in project mode.National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) nodal implementation agency for these projects.
|CM||N Biren Singh|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
BSNL gets licence for in-flight connectivity
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has received the In-Flight Connectivity license from the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) for enabling in-flight and maritime connectivity (IFMC) within Indian airspace.
- BSNL and Inmarsat, which is the satellite partner of BSNL, also operates the GX Aviation service will be able to offer in-flight connectivity to airlines. With this facility users can send messages, surf the internet and/or tweet, when a flight is at a minimum height of 3,000m in Indian airspace.
- Presently any form of internet connectivity for both domestic and international flights is not available on Indian flights.After, this facility enabled, users will still have restricted amounts of data available for their uses, applicable for all airlines.
|Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)|
|BSNL CEO||Sri Anupam Srivastava|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Vikram Kirloskar takes charge as CII President
- Vikram Kirloskar took charge as the new President of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- Kirloskar is the Chairman and Managing Director of Kirloskar Systems Ltd, and Vice Chairman of Toyota Kirloskar Motor.
- He takes over from Rakesh Bharti Mittal, Vice Chairman, Bharti Enterprises.
Nasscom appoints Keshav Murugesh as Chairman
- IT industry body Nasscom has appointed WNS Global Services Group CEO Keshav Murugesh as its Chairman for 2019-20. He takes on the position from his previous role as Vice Chairman of Nasscom, succeeding Rishad Premji (Wipro) Chief Strategy Officer and Board Member).
- Nasscom also appointed Infosys COO UB Pravin Rao as its Vice Chairman for 2019-20.
Miss India runner up Sana Dua to be election dept’s brand ambassador in J-K
- Femina Miss India 2017 runner up Sana Dua will be the brand ambassador of Jammu and Kashmir election department for general polls.
- Dua, the first runner up of the beauty pageant, has voluntarily offered her services for educating, creating awareness and motivating the electorate of J-K for exercising their franchise to ensure greater participation in the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections.
- She is an advocate by profession and an enthusiastic social activist.
Lori Lightfoot Will Become Chicago’s First Black Female Mayor
- In a historic election two black women competing to become mayor of the nation’s third-largest city, voters in Chicago chose Lori Lightfoot to become the first black woman and the first openly gay person to lead the city as its mayor.
- Lightfoot, a former federal prosecutor and relative political newcomer, trounced her opponent, Toni Preckwinkle, president of the Cook County Board of Commissioners and chair of the county’s Democratic Party
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPS
Sahulat App Launched To Facilitate Elderly Voters In Rajouri
- Sahulat’, a mobile app aimed to facilitate voting by elders has been launched in Jammu and Kashmir’s Rajouri district. District Election Officer Mohammad Aijaz Asad launched the Android-based application to reach out to the voters who are 90 years old or above.
- Rajouri district, which is part of the Jammu parliamentary constituency, goes to polls along with Baramulla constituency in the first phase on April 11.
- The voters can request for the facilities like the provision of wheelchair, vehicle for transportation and any helper who will assist them during casting of vote.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
BSE, India INX become first Indian exchanges to sign MoU with Moscow Exchange
- BSE (earlier known as Bombay Stock Exchange) and India International Exchange (India INX) have signed a memorandum of understanding with Moscow Exchange (MOEX) to connect investor community and companies in both countries besides allowing a capital formation platform.
- With this, BSE and India INX has become the first Indian Exchanges to enter into the MoU with Moscow exchange and will facilitate the development of channels of communication.
- The MoU will help to boost professional intermediaries in both markets to share their know-how and expand their client network in their home market and abroad.
Saudi Arabia’s King Salman grants Iraq $1 billion to build sport city
- Saudi Arabia will fund the construction of a $1 billion sports city in Iraq as well as open four consulates.
- Riyadh has been courting Baghdad in efforts to boost economic and trade ties and fend off Tehran’s influence in the region.
- The sports city would be located in Baghdad.
- There are 13 agreements which are ready to be signed.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
London’s Law University honours Shah Rukh Khan with a doctorate degree
- The Badshah of Bollywood, Shah Rukh Khan, has added yet another feather to his cap. The actor was conferred an honorary doctorate in Philanthropy by The University of Law, London.
- Earlier, Shah Rukh Khan had received two honorary doctorates from The University of Edinburgh and The University of Bedfordshire.
Dr. Sohini Sastri honoured with D. Litt
- Indian Astrologer Dr Sohini Sastri has been honoured with ‘D. Litt in Astrology’ by National American University, USA. The announcement was made at an event held in Mumbai recently at Classique Club.
- Other prominent personalities who were also awarded Doctorates at the same event includes Bollywood singer Mohit Chauhan and choreographer Terence Lewis.
- Last year, Sohini was honoured with Doctorate in Astrology by Victoria Global University, USA for her immense knowledge and contribution towards Astrology. She is also a receipt of ‘Champions of Change Award’
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MERGER AND ACQUISITION
Lakshmi Vilas Bank approves merger with lndiabulls Housing Finance
- Private lender Lakshmi Vilas Bank has approved a scheme of amalgamation with lndiabulls Housing Finance.
- For every one share of Rs 10 each, shareholders of Lakshmi Vilas Bank will receive 0.14 equity share of Rs 2 each of Indiabulls Housing Finance.
- The merged entity’s net worth will be Rs 19,472 crore, with 14,302 employees and a loan book of Rs 1.23 lakh crore.
- The merger is subject to approval from shareholders, Competition Commission of India (CCI), National Housing Bank (NHB) and National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT)
|Lakshmi Vilas Bank CEO||Parthasarathi Mukherjee|
|Tagline||The changing face of prosperity|
Government sells enemy shares worth Rs. 1,150 crore in Wipro
- The government sold enemy shares worth around Rs. 1,150 crore in IT firm Wipro to Life Insurance Corporation and two other state-owned insurers.
- Enemy property refers to the assets left behind by people who migrated to Pakistan or China and are no longer citizens of India.
- According to block deal data available with BSE, the Custodian of Enemy Property for India sold more than 4.43 crore Wipro shares at a price of Rs. 258.90 per share.
- Apart from Life Insurance Corporation (LIC), General Insurance Corporation and The New India Assurance Corporation have bought the shares.
- The Department of Investment and Public Asset Management has been authorised to sell the shares.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Book Kundan: Saigal’s Life & Music by Sharada Dutt
- The genius of K L Saigal, his timeless compositions and the golden era of Indian cinema have been brought alive in a book on the legendary singer.
- Kundan: Saigal’s Life & Music, authored by documentary filmmaker and former DDG of Doordarshan Sharad Dutt, has been transcreated in English by Jyoti Sabharwal of Stellar Publishers. Dutt won the National Award (Swarna Kamal for best book on cinema) in 2005 for the original book in Hindi.
- The book released on the 115th birth anniversary of Saigal.
Afridi autobiography ‘Game Changer’ to hit stands on April 30
- Shahid Afridi’s biography is called Game Changer and its hitting shelves on April, 30th. That certainly is good news for fans and book readers alike.
- The book has been penned by Wajahat Saeed Khan, a journalist.
- Game Changer is a book about one of the most famous people in modern cricket history. Even after retirement, Shahid Khan Afridi remains one of the biggest brands in Pakistan. The cricketer-turned-philanthropist is regarded as one of the most charitable celebrities globally.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Padma Shri Dr. V G Patel passed away
- Padma Shri Dr. Viharidas Gopaldas Patel, fondly known as VG, a noted economist and hailed as the ‘Father of Entrepreneurship Movement’ in the country, has passed away.
- An eminent economist and international figure in the sphere of entrepreneurship, small industry policies and growth managemen
- His book “The Seven Business Crisis & How to Beat Them” (reissued as When the Going gets Tough) is a best seller. Equally acclaimed are “Managing India’s Small Industrial Economy” and “Entrepreneurship Development Programme in India and its Relevance to Developing Countries”.