Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
- PravasiBharatiya Divas observed on 9 Januaryto mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community towards the development of India.
- The day commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to Mumbai on 9 January 1915.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Private FM channels allowed to carry All India Radio news
- Minister of State (IC) for Information & Broadcasting and Youth Affairs & Sports, Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore (Retd.) launched the sharing of All India Radio News with private FM broadcasters.
- Private FM channels can now carry All India Radio News free of cost on trial basis up to 31st May this year.
- News Services Division of All India Radio has permitted its news bulletins in English and Hindi to be carried in unaltered form by Private FM Channels as per certain terms and conditions.
|PrasarBharati Chairperson||A. Surya Prakash|
|CEO||Shashi Shekhar Vempati|
Lok Sabha passed Citizenship Amendment bill
- The Lok Sabha has passed the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill
- The Bill seeks to amend the Citizenship Act, 1955 to make illegal migrants who are Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsis and Christians from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan, eligible for citizenship.
- The bill relaxes this 11 year requirement to 6 years for persons belonging to the all the six religions from the three countries.
- Under the 1955 Act, requirements for citizenship by naturalisation is that the applicant must have resided in India during the last 12 months,
NHAI to collaborate with Oil Marketing Companies for issuance of FAS Tags
- Indian Highways Management Company Ltd. (IHMCL), a company promoted by NHAI, is signing MoUs with state-run Oil Marketing Companies (IOCL, BPC, and HPC).
- It will ensure availability of FASTags at petroleum outlets across India.
- In the first phase, the tags will be available across 50 Fuel Station in Delhi NCR, which will subsequently be expanded to outlets across India.
- IHMCL has been mandated to implement the National Electronic Toll Collection Program (NETC) in the country. The company launched the program under the brand name “FASTag” in April 2016
- IMHCL is also planning the launch of two mobile applications MyFASTag and IHMCLPOS. These apps will enable customers to link the FASTags with their preferred bank account, recharge the FASTag via UPI platform, and also ensure that the tags are bank neutral
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
VikramMisri takes charge as India’s new envoy to China
- Vikram Misri, took charge as India’s new envoy to China
- A 1989 batch India Foreign Service (IFS) officer, Misri 54, replaced Gautam Bambawale who retired in November last year.
- Prior to this appointment, Misri served as Indian envoy in Myanmar.
- He has served in various capacities at the headquarters of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) as well as in the Prime Minister’s Office.
Pranav R Mehta Becomes the First Indian to Head Global Solar Council
- A visionary in the field of Solar Energy and the chairman of National Solar Energy Federation, ShriPranav R Mehta, has taken over as the president of Global Solar Council (GSC) from January 1, 2019.
- The Global Solar Council (GSC) was launched on December 6, 2015, following the historic United Nations Climate Change Conference (UN COP 21).
- The Global Solar Council came into being as International Coalition of more than 30 nations, utilising maximum solar energy, decided to harness the renewable energy for the greater good.
|Global Solar Council Headquarters||Washington D.C., USA.|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: COMMITTEE
RBI forms committee to boost digital payments
- Reserve Bank of India has constituted a High Level Committee on Deepening of Digital Payments to encourage digitisation of payments and enhance financial inclusion.
- The five-member committee headed by UIDAI’s former Chairman Nandan Nilekani.
- The committee also include RBI’s former Deputy Governor Mr. H.R. Khan and Former Secretary, Ministry of Information Technology, Mrs. Aruna Sharma among others.
- The committee will review the existing status of digitisation of payments and suggest ways to bridge any gaps in the ecosystem.
- The committee will also undertake cross country analysis to identify best practices that can be adopted to accelerate digitisation of the economy and financial inclusion through greater use of digital payments.
|RBI 25th Governor||Shaktikanta Das|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Low budget debut ‘The Rider’ as best picture of 2018
- The National Society of Film Critics chose Chloe Zhao’s low-budget debut feature, The Rider, as best picture of 2018.
- Director Alfonso Cuaron’s “Roma” won the most awards as best picture runner up, best foreignlanguage film and for best cinematography. Cuaron also got the award for best director.
- The film critics society was founded in 1966, electing its voting critics from newspapers and other major U.S. media outlet
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Indian Army signed MOU with Punjab National Bank
- A MoU was signed between the Indian Army and PNB on the Defence Salary Package.
- The signing ceremony was chaired by the Adjutant General, Lt Gen Ashwani Kumar and was attended by top dignitaries of PNB headed by Mr Naveen Kumar.
- Salient features of the improved and updated MoU are free ‘RAKSHAK PLUS’ Scheme for serving pers and veterans, overdraft facility range from Rs 0.75 to 3.0 lakhs, multicity ‘At Par’ cheques, instant credit of outstation cheques, preferential allotment of lockers at concessional AMC and free SMS alerts.
|Chief of Staff of Indian Army||General BipinRawat|
|PNB MD & CEO||Sunil Mehta|
|PNB Headquarters||New Delhi.|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
India is set to become world’s third largest consumer market: World Economic Forum
- India is set to become the world’s third largest consumer market behind only USA and China by 2030.
- The report titled ‘Future of Consumption in Fast-Growth Consumer Market – India’ also noted that growth of the middle class will lift nearly 25 million households out of poverty.
- Consumer spending in India is expected to grow from 1.5 trillion US dollar at present to six trillion US dollar by 2030.
- The report stated that, with the annual GDP growth rate of 7.5 percent, India is currently the world’s sixth largest economy.
|World Economic Forum Headquarters||Cologny, Switzerland|
|World Economic Forum Executive chairman||Klaus Martin Schwab|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
First Global Aviation Summit to be held in Mumbai on Jan 15
- The first ever two day Global Aviation Summit 2019 with the theme of ‘Flying For All’ will open on January 15, 2019 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- The summit organised by the Ministry of Civil Aviation along with FICCI, the first GAS-2019 will discuss how to ride this strong tailwind of growth and pave the way forward for the aviation sector.
- The summit is supported by International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), Federal Aviation Administration of US (FAA), International Air Transport Association (IATA), CiviI Air Navigation Services Organisation (CANSO), Airports Council International (ACl) and Association of Asia Pacific Airlines (AAPA).
|Minister of Civil Aviation||Suresh Prabhu|
|Constituency||Andhra Pradesh, Rajya Sabha|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Indian Navy set new navy base in Port Blair
- Indian Navy’s new airbase INS Kohasa, set to boost Andaman archipelago defence, 100 miles north of Port Blair in the strategically located Andaman and Nicobar islands.
- The facility was earlier known as INS Shivpur and has been renamed as INS Kohasa after the extension of facilities at the base
- This will be India’s fourth air base and the third naval air facility in the archipelago.
- The base will initially operate choppers and Dornier short-range surveillance aircraft.
Chief of the Naval Staff
|Admiral Sunil Lanba|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Second edition of Khelo India Youth Games inaugurated in Pune
- The second edition of Khelo India Youth Games officially inaugurated in Pune, Maharashtra
- More than 9000 players from different states will participate in 18 different games at Khelo India Youth Games
- Khelo India Youth Games is a part Khelo India which is the revamped national programme for development of sports in India.
- Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG), formerly Khelo India School Games (KISG), held annually in January or February.
|Governor||Chinamani Vidyasagar Rao|
|Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports|
|Minister of State (I\C)||Col Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore|
|Constituency||Andhra Pradesh, Rajya Sabha|
Egypt to host 2019 Africa Cup of Nations
- Egypt will host the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) has announced.
- It will be the fifth time Egypt to host the African Cup of Nation.
- Egypt beat South Africa, the only other nation to bid, by 16 votes
- Original host nation Cameroon was stripped of staging duties because of slow preparations.
- Egypt will use eight stadiums during the tournament, hosting in five different cities: Alexandria, Ismailia, Port Said, Suez and the capital Cairo.
|President||Abdel Fattah el-Sisi|