Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
International Day of Radiology
- The International Day of Radiology is an annual event promoting the role of medical imaging in modern healthcare.
- It is celebrated on November 8 each year and coincides with the anniversary of the discovery of x-rays.
|Theme 2019||Sports Imaging (Musculoskeletal Radiology).|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Thaawarchand Gehlot Visits ‘Shilpotsav -2019’
- Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment, Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot visited the “Shilpostav- 2019” to encourage the artisans at Dilli Haat, INA, in New Delhi.
- Shilpostav- 2019 is the annual fair of artisans from across the country, belonging to the weaker sections of the society, which began on 1st November and will continue till 15th November 2019.
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is working towards empowering disadvantaged and marginalized artisans nationwide and in continuance of this, Shilpostav has been organized every year.
- The range of products in this fair include – silk sarees, durries, readymade garments, Terracotta products, Jute Products, dress materials, Kashmiri shawls/stoles, leather, cane & bamboo products, hand embroidery, bead products, pearls, imitation jewellery, lakh products, decorative candles, wood carving, block printing, wooden toys, tie & dye, wood, marble artefacts and handloom etc.
Indian Railways launches 3 online applications for all-India rollout to strengthen IT enablement
- Indian Railways has launched three applications for all-India roll out to strengthen its IT-enabled services which will help ensure proper monitoring of projects being undertaken by Railways.
- The applications, namely CRS Sanction Management System, Rail-road crossing GAD approval system and TMS for construction aim at beefing up IT-enabled services.
- The CRS Sanction Management System is an important aspect in construction, maintenance and up-gradation of railway assets.
- Whereas Rail-road crossing GAD approval system will expedite preparation, processing and approval of general agreement drawings related to the construction of Road Over Bridges and Road Under Bridges.
- Application TMS for construction has been developed for new assets being constructed by the construction organization.
|Ministry of Railways & Ministry of Commerce and Industry|
India’s maternal mortality rate declines by 6.2 per cent in a year
- India’s maternal mortality rate declined by 8 points in one year from 130 per lakh live births in 2014-16 to 122 per lakh live births in 2015-17, (registering a 6.2% decline) as per the latest special bulletin on MMR released by the Registrar General of India
- with this persistent decline, India is on track to achieving the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) set for reducing the MMR by 2025 which is five years ahead of the fixed time-line of 2030.
- India recently launched the ‘Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan’ (SUMAN) programme for zero preventable maternal and newborn deaths.
- Eleven states have already achieved the ambitious target of MMR of 100 per lakh live births by 2020 set under the National Health Policy 2017.
- These states are Kerala, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand, Telangana, Gujarat, Uttarakhand, West Bengal, Karnataka and Haryana.
- Seven states — Karnataka, Maharashtra, Kerala, West Bengal, Odisha, Rajasthan, Telangana — have shown decline in MMR that is greater than or equal to the national average of 6.2%.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Irdai directs Reliance Health Insurance to stop selling new policies
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (Irdai) has directed the standalone health insurance arm of Reliance Capital — Reliance Health Insurance — to transfer its entire portfolio to Reliance General Insurance, and stopped it from selling new policies.
- The regulator has also directed Reliance Health Insurance, which commenced operations in October 2018, to transfer all the investments pertaining to policyholders, along with its financial assets.
- Irdai noted that Reliance Health Insurance was facing solvency issues, as its solvency margin was reported at 106 per cent in the June quarter (Q1FY20), well below the regulatory requirement of 150 per cent. Since then, the solvency margin has dipped further to 77 per cent as of August and 63 per cent in Q2FY20.
- Reliance Capital, the holding company of both Reliance General and Reliance Health Insurance, proposed to merge Reliance Health Insurance into Reliance General after it failed to bring in new investors for its health insurance arm.
|IRDAI- Regulatory and Development Authority of India|
|Chairperson||Subhash Chandra Khuntia|
Exim Bank gives USD 30 mn line of credit to Ghana
- The Export-Import (Exim) Bank has provided a USD 30 million line of credit to Ghana for potable water project in the country.
- Exim Bank has entered into an agreement with Ghana for a line of credit (LoC) of USD 30 million (about Rs 210 crore) for financing rehabilitation and up-gradation of potable water system in Yendi, Ghana.
- Under the arrangement, financing of export of eligible goods, works and services from India would be allowed subject to their being eligible for export under the Foreign Trade Policy of India and whose purchase may be agreed to be financed by the Exim Bank.
- Out of the total credit by Exim Bank under the agreement, goods, works and services of the value of at least 75 per cent of the contract price shall be supplied by the seller from India and the remaining 25 per cent of goods and services may be procured by the seller for the purpose of eligible contract from outside India
- Under the LoC, the terminal utilisation period is 60 months after the scheduled completion date of the project.
|Export–Import Bank of India|
|EXIM bank CEO||David Rasquinha|
|Ghana Currency||Ghanaian cedi|
|Ghana President||Nana Akufo-Addo|
RBI increases household income limits for borrowers of NBFCs and MFIs
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has increased the household income limits for borrowers of Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs) and microfinance institutions (MFIs) from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 1.25 lakh for the rural areas with an aim to strengthen credit to those in the bottom of the economic pyramid.
- Similarly, the limit has been increased from Rs 1.6 lakh for urban or semi-urban areas to Rs 2 lakh
- Further, the limit on total indebtedness of the borrower has been increased from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 1.25 lakh
- With the revision to the limit on total indebtedness, the limits on disbursal of loans have been raised from Rs 60,000 for the first cycle to Rs 75,000, and from Rs 1 lakh for the subsequent cycles to Rs 1.25 lakh
|RBI Governor||Shaktikant Das|
RBI Deputy Governor
|BP Kanungo, N S Vishwanathan, and Mahesh Kumar Jain|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Devendra Fadnavis resigns as Maharashtra CM
- Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis has finally resigned and met Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari to submit his resignation papers.
- This comes just hours before the deadline for government formation in Maharashtra ends with the current assembly session coming to an end on November 9.
|Maharashtra Governor||Bhagat Singh Koshyari|
Google India appoints former Star and Disney head Sanjay Gupta as new Country Manager
- Google India has appointed Sanjay Gupta as its new country manager and vice president of sales and operations.
- Gupta succeeds Rajan Anandan, who left Google to join Sequoia Capital India as its managing director.
- Gupta, the former Star and Disney India managing director, will contribute to Google’s efforts to expand the internet ecosystem in the country
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Mr. Kumar Mangalam Birla Conferred ABLF Global Asian Award
- Kumar Mangalam Birla, Chairman of the Aditya Birla Group received the prestigious ABLF Global Asian Award at a grand ceremony in Dubai.
- He has been awarded for being a “Powerful individual whose business footprint and commitment to excellence have engaged international interest and attention.
- The previous recipients of the award include among others Late Dhirubhai Ambani, Mr. Lakshmi Mittal, H.E Mohamed Ali Alaber (Chairman- Emaar), H.E Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum (Chairman-Emirates).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
Prakash Javdekar to attend 15th meeting of Governing Council of SACEP in Dhaka
- Union Minister Prakash Javdekar to attend 15th meeting of Governing Council of South Asia Co-operative Environment Programme, SACEP in Dhaka.
- India will put forward the demand for clean technology at affordable cost and liberal financing from developed countries to developing countries during the forthcoming Madrid Meeting on Climate Change.
- The SACEP is an inter-governmental organization which was established in 1982. Its member countries Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka aim to promote and support protection, management and enhancement of the environment in the region.
- The 14th meeting of the SACEP Governing Council was held in March 2018 in Colombo.
27th Conference of Central and State Statistical Organizations (COCSSO) to be held on 11th-12th November 2019 at Kolkata
- Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) is organizing 27th Conference of Central and State Statistical Organizations (COCSSO) during 11-12thNovember 2019 at Kolkata.
- The Conference will be inaugurated by Shri Pravin Srivastava, Chief Statistician of India cum Secretary, MoSPI on 11thNovember, 2019.
- The Conference, a major national annual event, provides a platform for discussion and improved coordination between the Central and State Statistical agencies for enhancing the efficiency of the Indian Statistical System.
- The theme of this year’s Conference “Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)”, has been chosen for intensive and focused discussions aimed at filling the data gaps and improvement of timelines/quality in SDG monitoring.
- MoSPI, which is responsible for monitoring the progress of SDGs, has developed the National Indicator Framework (NIF) for monitoring country’s progress on SDGs, in consultations with Central Ministries and State/UT Governments. It has also released the NIF Baseline Report 2015-16 setting the benchmark for measuring SDGs progress up to 2030.
|Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation|
|Union Minister||Rao Inderjit Singh|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
India adds over 1100 start-ups in 2019, continues to be 3rd
- Adding over 1,100 start-ups in 2019, India continues to reinforce its position as the third largest start-up ecosystem across the world, taking the total number of tech start-ups to 8900-9300 in the last five years.
- The IT industry body also said that Indian startup ecosystem is geared up for “10X” growth trajectory by 2025.
- As per the “Indian Tech Start-up Ecosystem” released by NASSCOM, the Indian start-up ecosystem continues to be the third-largest in the world with a total of 24 Unicorns. (unicorn is a start-up with >$1Bn valuation).
- China is on top with 206 Unicorns and US is on second with 203 unicorns.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHOR
Arundhati Roy, Salman Rushdie’s books among BBC’s 100 ‘novels that shaped our world’
- The British Broadcasting Corporation announced a list of ‘100 Novels That Shaped Our World’. A panel of leading writers, curators and critics compiled the list for the network.
- The panel comprised Stig Abell, editor of theTimes Literary Supplement, Syima Aslam, director of the Bradford literature festival, authors Juno Dawson, Kit de Waal and Alexander McCall Smith, and journalist Mariella Frostrup.
- The books were divided into 10 categories– identity, love, sex and romance, adventure, life, death and other worlds, politics, power and protest, class and society, coming of age, family and friendship, crime and conflict and rule breakers.
- Pakistani author Kamila Shamsie and British-Pakistani writer Mohsin Hamid were also on the list for their booksHome Fire and The Reluctant Fundamentalist.
Here are the books by Indian writers that were on the list:
- The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
- The Moor’s Last Sighby Salman Rushdie
- Swami and Friendsby RK Narayan
- A Suitable Boyby Vikram Seth
- A House for Mr Biswasby VS Naipaul
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
India-Indonesia joint naval exercise ‘Samudra Shakti’ underway in Bay of Bengal
- Anti-submarine warfare corvette INS Kamorta is jointly exercising with Indonesian warship KRI Usman Harun, a multi-role corvette, in the Bay of Bengal as part of an ongoing bilateral exercise ‘’Samudra Shakti’.
- The joint exercises include, manoeuvres, surface warfare exercises, air defence exercises, weapon firing drills, helicopter operations and boarding operations.
- KRI Usman Harun arrived at Visakhapatnam on November 4 to participate in the second edition of Ex ‘’Samudra Shakti’’
|Indonesia Currency||Indonesian rupiah|
|Indonesia President||Joko Widodo|
IAF releases multiplayer version of ‘Indian Air Force – A Cut Above’ game
- The Indian Air Force has launched the multiplayer version of its interactive mobile game which lets users experience the thrill of flying a combat aircraft.
- The multiplayer version of the game named “Indian Air Force – A Cut Above” was launched by Vice Chief of Air Staff Air Marshal Harjit Singh Arora
- The first version of the mobile game was launched on 31 May 19 and has been downloaded by more than 2.2 million online users since then
- The game, available for Android and iOS, is a combat simulator which lets the players choose from an array of fighter aircraft, including Tejas, Rafale Mirage-2000, Su-30 among others.
- The multiplayer version has two modes – team battles, where players team up, and death match, a free for all where the last man standing is the winner
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Indian Bank sign MoU with Muthoot Microfin to serve MSME
- Indian Bank has signed a memorandum of understanding with Muthoot Microfinance to serve micro, small and medium enterprises.
- Under the memorandum of understanding, the bank and the non-banking finance company will jointly lend to the MSME borrowers
- Indian Bank general manager-MSME Sudhakar Rao exchanged documents with Muthoot Microfin deputy CFO Praveen T in the presence of the bank’s managing director and CEO Padmaja Chunduru
|Indian Bank CEO||Padmaja Chunduru|
|Indian Bank Headquarters||Chennai|
|Indian Bank Tagline||Your Own Bank|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
India to host 2023 FIH Men’s World Cup, Spain, Netherlands to co-host 2022 Hockey Women’s World Cup
- The Executive Board of the International Hockey Federation announced that India would be hosting the Men’s Hockey World Cup in 2023. Spain and Netherlands have been confirmed as the co-hosts for the 2022 FIH Hockey Women’s World Cup.
- The Men’s Hockey World Cup would be played from January 13-29, 2023 while the Women’s World Cup would be played from July 1-17, 2022. The venues for the tournaments will be announced by the host nations.
|International Hockey Federation (FIH)|
|FIH Headquarters||Lausanne, Switzerland|
|FIH President||Narinder Batra|
Rohit Sharma becomes 1st Indian male cricketer to play 100 T20I
- Rohit Sharma became the first Indian man and second in world cricket to complete 100 T-20 Internationals
- He reached the milestone when he led the team in the second match against Bangladesh at the Saurashtra Cricket Association Stadium.
- Shoaib Malik with 111 games from Pakistan is the only player to have played more than 100 T20 Internationals.
- India women’s captain Harmanpreet Kaur was the 1st Indian player to the landmark.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Renowned Bengali Author and Padma Shri Awardee Nabaneeta Dev Sen Passes Away
- Renowned Bengali author Nabaneeta Dev Sen passed away at 81 years following a prolonged illness.
- She had published more than 80 books in Bengali. Her first collection of poems ‘Pratham Pratyay’ was published in 1959. In 1959, she married Amartya Sen, an economist and academician, who was later awarded the Nobel prize in 1998.
Former Mohun Bagan General Secretary Anjan Mitra Passes Away
- Former General Secretary of Mohun Bagan club Anjan Mitra passed away following multiple problems, he was 72.
- A chartered accountant by profession, Mitra was an ardent football and Mohun Bagan fan since his childhood, and remained associated with the famous club as an administrator for three decades. He served as the club general secretary for 23 years, before stepping down last year.