Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try the Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
World Biofuel Day
- World Biofuel Day is observed on August 10 annually to create awareness about the importance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels and highlight the various efforts made by Government in the biofuel sector.
|Theme 2019||“Production of Biodiesel from Used Cooking Oil (UCO)”|
International Youth Day
- International Youth Day is observed annually on August 12th. It is meant as an opportunity for governments and others to draw attention to youth issues worldwide.
- During IYD, concerts, workshops, cultural events, and meetings involving national and local government officials and youth organizations take place around the world.
|Theme 2019||“Transforming education”|
World Elephant Day
- World Elephant Day is observed on 12 August annually
- The day was observed to make people understand to preserve and protect the giant animal elephant
- The first international Elephant Day was celebrated on 12 August, 2012
- Bringing the world together to help elephants is the main motto of the day
Vikram Sarabhai’s 100th Birth Anniversary
- India is celebrating the 100th birth anniversary of scientist and innovator Dr. Vikram A Sarabhai.
- He was considered to be the father of India’s space program
- Sarabhai established the Indian National Committee for Space Research in 1962, which was later renamed the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
15-km long national flag unfurled in Raipur, Chhattisgarh
- Thousands of students and members of several social organisations unfurled a 15-km long national flag by forming a human chain in Raipur, Chhattisgarh
- The event, organised by VasudhaivKutumbakam Foundation, entered the Champions Book of World Records (for the longest tricolour)
|Chhattisgarh Capital||Atal Nagar|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
India in US list of major illegal drug producing, transit countries
- US President Donald Trump has designated India among the over 20 major drug transit or illicit drug producing countries.
- Trump said that a country’s presence on the list is not necessarily a reflection of its government’s counter-narcotic efforts or level of cooperation with the US.
- The countries identified in the list are Afghanistan, The Bahamas, Belize, Bolivia, Burma, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, India, Jamaica, Laos, Mexico, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Panama, Peru and Venezuela.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
West Bengal heads GDP growth rate recording 12.58 per cent during 2018-19
- West Bengal is at the top of the list of states for GDP growth rate recording 12.58 per cent during 2018-19.
- Bengal is followed by Andhra Pradesh which has recorded GDP growth of 11.02, Bihar with 10.53 and Telangana 10.5 per cent respectively. Goa is at the bottom of the list with 0.47 per cent growth rate.
|West Bengal Capital||Kolkata|
|West Bengal CM||Mamata Banerjee|
|West Bengal Governor||Jagdeep Dhankhar|
‘Vriksharopan Mahakumbh’ launched with target to plant 22 crore saplings in Uttar Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched “Vriksharopan Mahakumbh”, aimed at planting a record 22 crore saplings in the state to mark the 77th anniversary of the Quit India Movement.
- The chief minister launched the drive by planting a sapling in Jaitikheda.
- The Uttar Pradesh government set a Guinness world record for maximum distribution of saplings from one point by distributing 76,824 saplings in eight hours on August 09, 2019. The previous record was held by the state of Maharashtra for distribution of 32,000 saplings from one point.
|Uttar Pradesh Capital||Lucknow|
|Uttar Pradesh CM||Yogi Adithiyanath|
|Uttar Pradesh Governor||Anandiben Patel|
Jharkhand government launches direct money transfer scheme for small farmers
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu launched the Jharkhand government’s ‘Mukhya Mantri Krishi Ashirwad Yojana’ under which money will be directly transferred into the bank accounts of farmers in the state.
- This is a Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) Scheme and hence complete amount will be directly paid to the farmer in his bank account. This is scheme apart from the benefits the farmers are getting under Centre’s PM-Kisan Yojana.
- Under the scheme, Rs 5,000 is given to those farmers having one acre or less agricultural land, Rs 10,000 to those having two acres, Rs 15,000 for having three acres, Rs 20,000 for having four acres and Rs 25,000 for having five acres of agricultural land.
- Under the Mukhya Mantri Krishi Ashirwad Yojana, approximately 35 lakh farmers will benefit and by October 3,000 crore rupees will be sent in the accounts of the beneficiaries
|Jharkhand CM||Raghubar Das|
Haryana government to roll out Mukhya Mantri Parivar Samridhi Yojana from Aug 21
- Haryana Government announced the roll-out of ‘Mukhya Mantri Parivar Samridhi Yojna’ which will provide social security to families. Under the scheme, Rs 6000 per year will be given to each eligible family.
- The scheme, which will be launched on August 21, will provide social security to people in the form of life insurance, accidental insurance and pensionary benefits.
- The eligibility for the scheme is for families having an annual income less than Rs 1,80,000 or a total landholding of fewer than two hectares.
- Under the scheme, each beneficiary family will be entitled to get Rs 500 per month.
- Life Insurance of at least one family member. The cover provided is for an amount of two lakh in case of death of the beneficiary. Premium of Rs 330 per year would be deducted from that Rs 500 per month amount provided.
- Additionally, an amount of Rs 12 per annum would be paid on account of Accidental Insurance of at least one family member under Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana.
- A contribution from Rs 55 to 200 per month will be paid automatically from the bank account as a premium for providing pension to the beneficiary under Pradhan Mantri Shram Maan-Dhan Yojana. On attainment of the age of 60 years, the pension will be given at the rate of Rs 3,000 per month.
|Haryana CM||Manoharlal Kathar|
|Haryana Governor||Satyadev Narayan Arya|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING
RBL Bank launches India’s first health-focused credit card
- RBL Bank and digital healthcare platform Practo have partnered to launch an industry first co-branded health credit card.
- This credit card is powered by Mastercard and is available on both Practo and RBL mobile apps
- The card offers benefits like unlimited and round-the-clock online consultations with experienced and qualified doctors, one free full body health check-up,
- Users can use the card to earn points that can be redeemed for availing Practo services like ordering medicine, tests and online consultations.
- The card also offers two complimentary domestic airport lounge accesses every quarter.
|RBL Bank CEO||VishwavirAhuja|
|RBL Bank Headquarters||Mumbai|
|RBL Bank Tagline||Apnoka Bank|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
B2B payments startup EnKash launches corporate credit card for SMEs
- Business-to-business payments startup EnKash launched the country’s first corporate credit card called ‘Freedom Card’ for small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
- The Freedom Card would give SMEs and startups the freedom to avail credit facility for immediate needs and to manage their liquidity.
- Currently, banks offer corporate credit cards and EnKash partners with most of them to enhance the experience.
- EnKash has come up with a corporate card to cater to the varied billing cycles as per the working capital cycles of different businesses, which is a first in India
Air India launches ‘Discover India’ scheme
- Air India introduced a ‘Discover India’ scheme valid for sale and travel up to March 31, 2020.
- The scheme is rolled out to meet the growing demand of passengers to fly to different places of tourist and religious interest within the country by the Indian diaspora and foreign tourists.
- The scheme has various benefits like cheaper flight tickets for Non-Resident Indians (NRI)s, Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) and Foreign nationals. Re-booking, which is permitted without penalty till 4 hours prior to scheduled departure. It also provides free baggage related allowance.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Manipur appoints 9-yr old girl as Green Ambassador
- Manipur government appointed a nine-year-old girl Elangbam Valentina Devi as brand ambassador for the Chief Minister’s Green Manipur Mission who was in the news recently after she sobbed inconsolably when two trees she planted were cut down.
- Recently a video surfaced over the internet in which Elangbam could be seen crying after few trees were cut due to the expansion of the road. Here love towards trees was recognized by the government and hence she has been chosen as the green ambassador of the state Manipur.
|Manipur CM||N Biren Singh|
|Manipur Governor||Padmanabha Acharya|
YES Bank appoints Anurag Adlakha as chief financial officer, replaces Ahuja
- Yes Bank announced the appointment of Anurag Adlakha as chief financial officer (CFO).
- Raj Ahuja was serving as the CFO of the company till now. He will continue to report to Chief Executive Officer Ravneet Gill.
- Ahuja will now be in charge of strategy, planning and functions of the bank. Adlakha was earlier senior group president and head of financial management & strategy.
|Yes Bank CEO||Ravneet Gill|
|Yes Bank Tagline||Experience our Expertise|
|Yes Bank Headquarters||Mumbai|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
NITI Aayog to launch the Fourth Edition of Women Transforming India Awards
- The NITI Aayog will launch the Fourth Edition of Women Transforming India (WTI) Awards in the New Delhi.
- The Women Transforming India (WTI) Awards is being organized in collaboration with the United Nations to recognize women entrepreneurs from across India. This year’s theme is ‘Women and Entrepreneurship’, in continuation of the theme for WTI Awards 2018.
- Nominations for the awards will be opened immediately after the launch. WhatsApp has collaborated with NITI Aayog for WTI Awards 2019 and will be providing support amounting to US$100,000 to the award winners.
- The Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) is a Government of India initiative by NITI Aayog to promote and support aspiring as well as established women entrepreneurs in India, assist and handhold them in their journey from starting to scaling up and expanding their ventures.
- It has more than 5,000 women entrepreneurs registered on the platform, more than 30 partners and, has committed funding of more than US$10mn for these startups.
Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship announces fourth edition of National Entrepreneurship Awards, 2019
- The fourth edition of the National Entrepreneurship Awards, instituted in a bid to recognize and encourage outstanding Indian Entrepreneurs and catalyse a cultural shift in youth for entrepreneurship by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) has opened for nominations.
- The National Entrepreneurship Awards (NEA) 2019 aim to honour outstanding young first generation entrepreneurs and ecosystem builders for their exceptional contribution in entrepreneurship development.
- There are a total of 45 specially designed awards to be bestowed – 39 Enterprise Awards and 6 Awards for Entrepreneurship Ecosystem Builders. To be eligible for these awards, the nominee must be under the age of 40 years; they must be first-generation entrepreneurs; the nominee (entrepreneur) must hold 51% or more equity and ownership of the business; and women entrants must individually or collectively own 75% or more of the enterprise.
66th National Film Awards
- The 66th National Film awards were announced by Rahul Rawail, head of the Jury for feature films
- Four hundred and nineteen films competed for the awards this year.
- The national film awards are given in 31 categories. An Award for film friendly state has been instituted this year. Uttara khand won this year.
|Best non feature film||Son Rise by Vibha Bakshi and
The Secret Life of Frogs by Ajay and Vijay Bedi
|Best Educational Film||Sarala Virala|
|Best Feature Film||Hellaro (Gujarati film) directed by Abhishek Shah|
|Best Director||AdityaDhar for Uri : The Surgical Strike|
|Best Actor||Ayushmann Khuranna for Andhadhun and Vicky Kaushal for Uri : The Surgical Strike|
|Best Actress||Keerthy Suresh for Mahanati|
|Best Supporting Actor||Swanand Kirkire for Chumbhak|
|Best supporting actress||SurekhaSikri for BadhaaiHo|
|Best Action Direction||KGF Chapter I|
|Best Choreography||Padmaavat for Goomar|
|Best Film for National Integration||Ondalla Eradalla (Kannada)|
|Best Cinematography||MJ Radhakrishnan for Olu (Malayalam)|
|Best Popular Film||Badhaai Ho|
|Best film on Environment issues||Paani|
|Best Debut Film of a Director||Naal (Marathi)|
|Best film on Social Issues||Padman|
|Best Child artist||P V Rohith (Kannada),
Sameep Singh (Punjabi),
Talha Arshad Reshi (Urdu)
Shrinivas Pokale (Marathi)
|Best Children’s Film||Sarkari Hiriya Prathamika Shaale Kasaragod|
|Best Special Effects||KGF|
|Special Jury Award||Award shared by Sruthi Hariharan, Joju George for Joseph, Savithri for Sudani From Nigeria, Chandrachood Rai|
|Best Film on Environment Conservation/Preservation||Paani|
|Best Rajasthani Film||Turtle|
|Best Tamil Film||Baaram|
|Best Marathi Film||Bhonga|
|Best Hindi Film||Andhadhun|
|Best Urdu Film||Hamid|
|Best Telugu Film||Mahanati|
|Best Bengali Film||Ek Je Chhilo Raja|
|Best Assamese Film||Bulbul Can Sing|
|Best Punjabi Film||Harjeeta|
|Best Original Screenplay||Chi La Sow|
|Best Adapted Screenplay||Andhadhun|
|Best Lyrics||Nathichirami (Kannada)|
|Best Music Direction (Songs)||Sanjay Leela Bhansali for Padmaavat|
|Best Music Direction (Background score)||Uri|
|Best Sound Design||Uri|
|Best Female playback Singer||Bindhu Malini for Mayavi Manave from Nathichirami (Kannada)|
|Best Male Playback Singer||Arijit Singh for BhinteDhil|
|Best Make-Up artist||Awe|
|Best Production Design||Kammara Sambhavam (Malayalam)|
Lionel Messi wins UEFA Goal of the Season award
- Lionel Messi has won UEFA’s Goal of the Season prize for the third time in five seasons
- Only goals from UEFA club or international fixtures in 2018-19 were eligible for consideration
- Messi came first in the vote on UEFA’s website for his spectacular free-kick against Liverpool in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final at Camp Nou.
- Ronaldo came second for a strike against his former club Manchester United for Juventus in the group stage
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHOR
ShriAmit Shah launches ‘Listening, Learning and Leading’, the book based on Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu’s two years as Vice President of India
- Union Minister for Home Affairs, ShriAmit Shah launched the book ‘Listening, Learning and Leading’ in Chennai today. This book is based on Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu’s two years in office. The book captures glimpses of the Vice President’s 330 public engagements across the country during this period.
- The book gives a glimpse of his life after assuming the office of the Vice President of India. The book captures glimpses of the Vice President’s 330 public engagements across the country.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
3rd International Electric Vehicle (EV) Conclave held in Manesar
- 3rd International Electric Vehicle (EV) Conclave was held in Manesar, Gurugram. The Minister of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises, Arjun Ram Meghwal, inaugurated the conclave.
- It was organized by the International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT) in association with India Energy Storage Alliance (IESA).
- The Conclave was held to create a knowledge-sharing platform to ensure flow of information at all levels in the automotive sector.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Army launches ‘Mission Reach Out’ in Jammu
- The Army has launched “Mission Reach Out” in Jammu to ensure basic necessities and essential services are available in the region post the abrogation of the provisions of Article 370 and reorganisation of Jammu and Kashmir.
- A high level “Mission Reach Out” conference to review the prevalent situation in the region was held in the Nagrota Military Station.
- The Corps commander lauded the absolute synergy between the Army, civil administration and other security establishments in maintaining peace, harmony and a conducive environment.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Sourabh Verma wins Hyderabad Open title
- Sourabh Verma clinched the Men’s Singles title in the Hyderabad Open.
- The 26-year-old Sourabh from Madhya Pradesh had won the Slovenian International in May this year. He had also won two Super 100 titles at the Dutch Open and Russian Open last year.
- Top seeds Ashwini Ponnappa and N Sikki Reddy, however, finished runners up in women’s doubles.
Bajrang Punia wins gold at Tbilisi Grand Prix
- India’s top wrestlers Bajrang Punia wins gold at Tbilisi Grand Prix
- Bajrang Punia prevailed 2-0 over Iran’s Peiman Bibyani in the 65 Kilogram category final of the men’s free style competition in the capital city of Georgia.
- It is fourth gold for the Bajrang after standing atop the podium at Dan Kolov, Asian Championship and Ali Aliev tournament.
Rafael Nadalwins 35th ATP Masters 1000 Title at Montreal Open 2019
- Rafael Nadal defeated Medvedev 6-3, 6-0 to win his fifth title at the ATP Montreal Masters
- It was his 35th Masters 1000 title
- Nadal won his first Canadian title in 2005 and also repeated in 2008, 2013 and 2018
Chennai Lions beat Dabang Delhi to win the Ultimate Table Tennis (UTT) title
- Chennai Lions defeat Dabang Delhi to clinch the Ultimate Table Tennis crown
- In the men’s singles Tiago Apolonia of Portuguese beat G. Sathiyan
- Women’s Singles: Petrissa Solja beat Bernadette Szocs
Surya Shekhar Ganguly secures victory at Belt and Road China Hunan International tournament
- Surya Shekhar Ganguly played some sparkling chess to win the Belt and Road China Hunan International tournament at Tongguanyao. The 36-year-old ONGC staffer from Kolkata.
- The 36-year-old ONGC staffer, finished unbeaten with seven points from nine rounds (five wins and four draws) to collect 27.5 Elo points and $50,000 at the tournament regarded as one of the richest chess events globally.
- The second seed Yu Yangyi of China and 5th seed Amin Bassem of Egypt scored 6 points each to be placed second.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Freedom fighter Dayanidhi Nayak passes away at 95
- Noted freedom fighter Dayanidhi Nayak, who struggled against the British Government during the Quit India movement,passed away at the age of 95.
He was one of the 32 freedom fighters from Panimora. He joined the Quit India movement against the British government and was a devout follower of Mahatma Gandhi. He was the youngest freedom fighter from Panimora.
/ 5. Reviews