Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
World Homoeopathy Day
- The World Homoeopathy Day 2019 will be observed across the world on April 10
- The day is observed to commemorate the birth anniversary of the founder of Homoeopathy, Dr. Christian Fredrich Samuel Hahnemann.
- A two day convention is being organised on 9-10th April 2019 by the Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy (CCRH), an autonomous research organisation, Ministry of AYUSH on the occasion of the World Homoeopathy Day at Dr. Ambedkar International Centre in New Delhi.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
London becomes first city to implement 24×7 pollution charge zone
- London became the first city in the world to implement a special Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) that would charge an entry fee for older vehicles if they do not meet the emission standards.
- The Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) will help address London’s toxic air health crisis that currently leads to thousands of premature deaths annually, and increases the risk of asthma, cancer and dementia
- Motorists who drive into the zone in a vehicle that does not meet the new emission standard (petrol-run vehicles that do not meet Euro 4 standards and diesel-run vehicles that do not meet Euro 6) will have to pay a daily charge.
Google Launched First Drone Delivery Service in Australia
- Google’s parent company Alphabet was launched its first public drone delivery service in Canberra, Australia
- Alphabet made its first delivery after getting approval from the country’s civil aviation authority
- Wing, the company’s drone delivery arm, was testing drone delivery in Australia since 2014 and delivered medicines, chocolate to 3,000 homes in the last 18 months
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
SBI cuts interest rates on home loans
- The State Bank of India has re-priced home loans up to Rs 30 lakh by 10 basis points.
- Accordingly, the interest rate on housing loans of such size will now be in the range of 8.6 to 8.9 per cent.
- The new one-year marginal cost of funds-based lending rate is down to 8.50 per cent now from 8.55 per cent. This is the first reduction by SBI in over 17 months.
|State Bank of India Headquarters||Mumbai|
|State Bank of India Tagline||The Banker to every Indian|
|State Bank of India Chairperson||Rajnish Kumar|
RBI issues guidelines for banks to set up currency chests
- The Reserve Bank of India came out with guidelines for banks to set up new currency chests, which include a minimum area of 1,500 square feet for the strong room.
- For those situated in hilly/ inaccessible places, the strong room/ vault area of at least 600 sq ft.
- Besides, the new chests should have a processing capacity of 6.6 lakh pieces of banknotes per day.
- For those situated in the hilly/ inaccessible places, the capacity of 2.1 lakh pieces of banknotes per day.
- An RBI appointed committee had recommended that the apex bank should encourage banks to open large currency chests with modern facilities and Chest Balance Limit (CBL) of at least Rs 1,000 crore.
- This has been done on the recommendation of Shri D.K. Mohanty Committee.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Government manages to meet revised fiscal deficit target of 3.4% of GDP
- The Government has managed to meet the revised fiscal deficit target of 3.4 per cent of the GDP after it cut last minute expenditure and rolled over fuel subsidies to make up for the shortfall in tax collection.
- The interim Budget presented in February revised upward the fiscal deficit target to 3.4 per cent from 3.3 per cent of GDP estimated earlier for 2018-19.
- The direct tax collections fell short by 50,000 crore, GST collections has touched Rs. 1.06 lakh crore in March and the gross GST revenues has achieved the target of Rs. 11.47 lakh crore.
IMF cuts India GDP growth forecast to 7.3% for 2019-20
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) cut India’s GDP growth forecast for 2019-20, following similar action by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- In India, growth is projected to pick up to 7.3% in 2019 (2019-20) and 7.5% in 2020 IMF said in its World Economic Outlook report.
- Both ADB and RBI last week cut their 2019-20 growth projection for India to 7.2% from 7.4% earlier.
- The Central Statistics Office (CSO) to trim its 2018-19 forecast to 7% in February from 7.2% estimated in the previous month.
Dream 11 becomes the first Indian gaming company to be a unicorn
- Dream 11 an online gaming firm has received secondary investment by Stead view Capital. With this Dream11’s valuation has become more than $1 billion and hence making it the first Indian gaming company to enter the Unicorn club.
- Dream11 is also the official fantasy cricket partner of IPL 2019. MS Dhoni is the brand ambassador of Dream11
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Karnam Sekar to take over as MD, CEO of Indian Overseas Bank
- Karnam Sekar, MD and CEO of the Dena Bank, will take over as MD and CEO of Indian Overseas Bank from July 1. His term will end in June next year. He will work as officer on special duty and whole-time director with IOB till the end of June this year.
- R A Sankara Narayanan, former MD and CEO of Vijaya Bank, will move to Canara Bank in the same position. His term will end in January 2020.
- R K Yaduvanshi, executive director at Dena Bank, will move as executive director of Punjab National Bank.
- Nageshwara Rao, executive director at Vijaya Bank, will move to Syndicate Bank as officer on special duty and full-time director.
- Murali Ramaswami, another executive director at Vijay Bank, will move to Bank of Baroda.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING AND INDEX
India tops remittances list, received $79 billion in 2018
- According to the latest edition of the World Bank report, India has retained its top spot on remittances.
- India was followed by China ($ 67 billion), Mexico ($ 36 billion), the Philippines ($ 34 billion), and Egypt ($ 29 billion).
- Remittances grew by more than 14 percent in India.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
World Economic Forum Mena 2019
- The World Economic Forum on the Middle East and North Africa is being held at the Dead Sea. It is the tenth such meeting in Jordan and the 17th in the region.
- The Dead Sea meeting will highlight long-term responses to encouraging economic growth, humanitarian crises, sustainability, health care, energy, water, gender equality, the future of jobs and cybersecurity.
|WEF Chairman||Klaus Schwab|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
BSE, HDFC Bank tie up to strengthen startup platform
- The BSE has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with HDFC Bank with an objective to strengthen the BSE Startups platform.
- The exchange had launched the startup platform on December 22, with an aim to encourage entrepreneurs to get listed and raise equity capital for their growth and expansion.
- BSE is the first exchange to have launched the Start Up platform. The idea was to help entrepreneurs look beyond the conventional channels of raising capital and enable them to list on the stock exchange to further enhance the credibility of the firm.
|HDFC Bank CEO||Aditya Puri|
PFS partners USICEF for financing solar projects
- Infrastructure finance company PFS has joined hands with the US-India Clean Energy Finance (USICEF) to leverage funds for solar projects in India.
- It is an innovative facility which presents PFS with an opportunity to finance and deploy high-impact development projects which can contribute in achieving India’s distributed energy target of 40 GW by 2022.
- PFS has sanctioned 3 distributed solar power projects with a total debt of Rs 242 crore.
- Climate Policy Initiative (CPI)manages USICEF that was founded in partnership with the Indian Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, OPIC(Overseas Private Investment Corporation), IREDA (Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Ltd.) and leading U.S. Foundations in 2017.
India gets its first ‘Cold Spray’ SMART lab with IIT Madras-GE collaboration
- IIT Madras in collaboration with General Electric (GE) established India’s first ‘Cold Spray’ SMART (Surface Modification and Additive Research Technologies) Laboratory. With this, IIT Madras is now the only academic institution in India, which has a first-of-its-kind High-Pressure Cold Spray(HPCS) facility.
- The lab has been set up with the Government of India’s support under its ‘Uchchatar Avishkar Yojana’ (UYAY).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
India, Singapore joint military exercise Bold Kurukshetra-2019 kicks off in Babina
- Armed forces of India and Singapore kicked off a joint military exercise, ‘Bold Kurukshetra–2019’, in Jhansi’s Babina Cantonment.
- The three-day exercise is aimed at bolstering cooperation against terrorism, developing defence technology and improving maritime security.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Actress Nadja Regin passed away
- The Serbian actress Nadja Regin passed away at the age of She appeared in two Bond films “From Russia with Love” and “Goldfinger,” She wrote a novel, named ‘The Victims and the Fools’, which was published under her full name Nadja Poderegin.
/ 5. Reviews