Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
World Hindi Day
- World Hindi Day is celebrated on January 10 every year, marking the anniversary of first World Hindi Conference which was held in 1975,
- First World Hindi Conference inaugurated by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
|USEFUL INFO||11th World Hindi Conference was held in Mauritius|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Andaman to be First Island to operate seaplanes under UDAN- 3
- According to the Ministry of Civil Aviation, islands in Andaman will soon be connected by seaplanes.
- The ministry has approved operations on 13 water aerodrome routes, under the regional connectivity scheme Ude Desh ka Aam Nagrik (UDAN).
- Five are from Andaman, while the others are from dams in Gujarat and coastal areas in Kerala.
- UDAN-RCS, UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik) is a regional airport development and “Regional Connectivity Scheme” (RCS) of Government of India,
|Minister of Civil Aviation||Suresh Prabhu|
|Constituency||Andhra Pradesh, Rajya Sabha|
|Andaman And Nicobar Capital||Port Blair|
|Governor||Admiral D K Joshi|
University Grants Commission to set up CARE to refine and strengthen research publication
- UGC decided to set up Consortium for Academic and Research Ethics (CARE) to refine and strengthen research publication.
- With an aim to refine and strengthen the University Grants Commission (UGC) approved list of journals
- The good quality Research Journals in disciplines under Social Sciences, Humanities, Languages, Arts, Culture, Indian Knowledge Systems etc., will be maintained by CARE and referred to as ‘CARE Reference List of Quality Journals’.
- UGC has constituted a Committee under the Chairmanship of Prof. P. Balram, to review its quality mandate relating to promotion of Research and to review the existing M.Phil/ Ph.D Regulations.
|UGC Headquarters||New Delhi|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
PM Modi inaugurated infrastructure projects in Solapur, Maharashtra
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched road and underground sewerage system projects developed at an investment of Rs 1,100 crore in Solapur.
- Modi inaugurated the four laned section of Solapur – Tuljapur – Osmanabad of NH-211 (New NH-52).
- Modi also laid the foundation stone for 30,000 houses under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, the total cost of the project is Rs 1811.33 crore.
|Governor||Chinamani Vidyasagar Rao|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Sri Lanka’s Central Bank gets $400 million swap from RBI
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank stated that the Reserve Bank of India has agreed to provide USD 400 million under a swap arrangement to boost the island nation’s reserves.
- The RBI has agreed to provide the funds under its SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) Swap Facility
|Central Bank of Sri Lanka (CBS)|
|Governor||Dr. Indrajit Coomaraswamy|
|Reserve Bank of India|
RBI makes changes in Gold Monetisation Scheme
- The Reserve Bank of India has changed its Gold Monetisation Scheme (GMS), 2015 to make charitable institutions, Central Government, State Government or any other entity owned by Central Government or State Government eligible to deposit under the scheme.
- The government had launched the GMS in 2015 to mobilise the gold held by households and institutions in the country.
- The scheme allows banks’ customers to deposit their idle gold holdings for a fixed period in return for interest in the range of 2.25-2.50%.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: COMMITTEE
SEBI constitutes ‘Research Advisory Committee (RAC)
- Security and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has constituted a “Research Advisory” committee which will assist in formulating policy to undertake research relevant for development and regulation of capital markets.
- The committee headed by Dr. Sankar De and comprising of prominent financial economists and market practitioners as members.
- In order to strengthen its research function and enhance its linkage to policy making, SEBI has constituted a ‘Research Advisory Committee’.
|Security and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Polavaram project enters Guinness Book of World Record
- The Polavaram multipurpose irrigation project entered the Guinness Book of World Records by pouring 32,000 cubic metres of concrete in 24 hours during the work of dam construction
- Work on the project, being undertaken by the private sector Navayuga Engineering Co Ltd, is being conducted with extraordinary speed to make the dam ready for irrigation purposes by June.
- The project beat the existing record of 21,580 cubic metres which was achieved by Abdul Wahed Bin Shabib, RALS Contracting LLC and Alfa Eng. Consultant (all UAE), in Dubai between May 18 and 20 in 2017.
- Polavaram Project is an underconstruction multi-purpose irrigation project on the Godavari River in Andhra Pradesh.
|Andhra Pradesh Capital||Hyderabad, Amaravathi|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
IRCTC offers free travel insurance for air travellers
- The Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation has announced that passenger booking air ticket using its website irctc.co.in can avail free of cost travel insurance of Rs 50 lakh.
- IRCTC tied up with Bharti AXA General insurance company to provide free travel insurance.
- This facility will be available for passengers irrespective of the class of tickets and for both domestic and international flights. The insurance will provide them financial protection against accidental death and total or permanent disability
- The premium for insurance will be borne by the IRCTC to secure its passengers from any untoward incident during the journey
|IRCTC Headquarters||New Delhi|
|Bharti AXA General insurance Headquarters||
|MD & CEO||Sanjeev Srinivasan|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Mary Kom attained number one position in AIBA rankings
- M C Mary Kom has attained number one position in the International Boxing Association’s (AIBA) latest world rankings.
- Mary Kom is placed top of the charts in the 48kg weight division with 1700 points.
- The 36-year-old will have to jump to 51kg in pursuit of her 2020 Olympic dream as 48kg is not yet included in the Games roster
|International Boxing Association (AIBA)|
|AIBA Headquarters||Lausanne, Switzerland|
World Bank pegs India’s growth rate at 7.3% for current fiscal
- India’s GDP is expected to grow at 7.3% in the fiscal year 2018-19, and 7.5% in the following two years
- According to Global Economic Prospects report released by the World Bank, India will continue to be the fastest growing major economy in the world.
|2018 – 19||2019 – 2020|
|World Bank Headquarters||Washington, D.C., United States|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Malala Yousafzai pens new book on refugee girls
- Nobel Peace Prize winner and Pakistani activist Malala Yousafzai pens a new book, titled ‘We Are Displaced: My Journey and Stories from Refugee Girls Around the World.
- Charting her experiences travelling the world and visiting refugee camps.
- The 244-page book along with eight pages of colour inserts is priced at Rs. 399
- Malala Yousafzai and Kailash Satyarthi shared 2014 Nobel Peace Prize.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCHEMES AND PROGRAM
Global Report on Trafficking in Persons Launched
- UN office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) released a latest Global Report on “Trafficking in Persons”.
- According to the latest Global Report on Trafficking in Persons, The number of human trafficking victims is on the rise, while armed groups and terrorists are trafficking women and children to generate funds and recruit,
- The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime is a United Nations office that was established in 1997, as the Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention by combining the United Nations International Drug Control Program (UNDCP) and the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Division in the United Nations Office
|UNODC Headquarters||Vienna, Austria|
|Executive director||Yury Fedotov|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Hockey India removed Harendra Singh as coach of India Men’s Team
- Indian men’s hockey coach Harendra Singh was sacked from the position and offered the task of helming the junior squad by the national federation.
- In the interim the team will be overseen by Hockey India High Performance Director David John and current Analytical Coach, Chris Ciriello.
- Harendra Singh was brought in as men’s coach in May 2018 after Sjoerd Marijne was moved back to the women’s camp.
|Hockey India Headquarters||New Delhi|
|President||Mohammad Mushtaq Ahmed|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Sydney and Brisbane Chosen to Host ATP Cup In 2020
- The debut of the ATP Cup will take place in January 2020.
- Australian cities Sydney and Brisbane have been announced as the first two host locations for the newest team event in men’s tennis.
- With more than 100 players from 24 nations vying for $15 million in prize money and 750 ATP Ranking points,
|ATP Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Chairperson||Chris Kermode|
Mohamed Salah Named as African Footballer ofthe Year
- Liverpool and Egypt forward, Mohamed Salah is the 2018 Confederation of African Football Player of the Year, for second consecutive year he has won the award.
- Houston Dash and South Africa forward Thembi Kgatlana was named Women’s Player of the Year.
- The African Footballer of the Year award, presented to the best African footballer each year, has been conferred by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) since 1992.
/ 5. Reviews