Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
PM Modi, Nepal PM to jointly inaugurate Motihari-Amlekhganj cross border petroleum Pipeline
- PM Modi and Nepal’s PM K.P.Sharma Oli will jointly inaugurate Motihari-Amlekhgunj cross border petroleum products pipeline through video conference
- The 69 kms-long pipeline is the first-ever cross-border petroleum product pipeline in the South Asia region
- The pipeline from Motihari in Bihar to Amlekhgunj in Nepal has been constructed by India in just 15 months.
- It has been constructed at the cost of around 350 crore rupees which are entirely borne by Indian Oil Corporation.
|President||Bidya Devi Bhandari|
UNESCO, Rajasthan government join hands to promote state’s intangible cultural heritage
- UNESCO New Delhi signed a partnership agreement with the Department of Tourism, Government of Rajasthan, to promote community-based responsible tourism based on the rich Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) of the state.
- The project will be implemented in the districts of Jodhpur, Barmer, Jaisalmer and Bikaner and seeks to spur the socio-economic growth of selected artist communities.
- The project will focus on cultural heritage and traditions, such as pottery, weaving and other crafts, as well as music traditions, in order to create community-led and community-benefitting tourism opportunities
- The project plans on developing 10 cultural hubs across the four districts of the state
- Rajasthan is also home to 3 UNESCO World Heritage sites in India. The Walled city of Jaipur was inscribed on UNESCO’s World Heritage List, last July.
|Rajasthan CM||Ashok Gehlot|
|Rajasthan Governor||Kalraj Mishra|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
India announces $ 1 Mn Disaster Relief Aid for Bahamas
- India announced a humanitarian assistance of USD 1 million to help people in The Bahamas affected by Hurricane Dorian.
- The death toll from the calamity has risen to over 40 and is likely to increase even more, even as search and rescue teams are still trying to reach out to Bahamian communities isolated by floodwaters and debris in the wake of Hurricane Dorian.
|Bahamas Currency||Bahamian dollar|
|Bahamas Prime Minister||Hubert Minnis|
India Pavilion inaugurated at 44th Toronto International Film Festival
- The High Commissioner of India to Canada Vikas Swarup inaugurated the India Pavilion at the 44th Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) 2019
- The inauguration of India Pavilion at TIFF will provide a platform to showcase Indian Cinema in the overseas market and facilitate new business opportunities.
- TIFF provides the ideal platform for the global outreach of the 50th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) 2019
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Kerala to set up country’s first global trade centre for women
- In a major initiative to accelerate women entrepreneurship and secure gender parity, Kerala will set up the country’s first International Women’s Trade Centre (iWTC), in consonance with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), in Kozhikode.
- A key project of the state’s Gender Park under the Department of Social Justice, it is envisaged as a safe space away from home for women to harness their entrepreneurial capabilities, set up or expand their businesses and get their products marketed globally.
- The first phase of iWTC, being executed under the Gender Park’s “Vision 2020”, is scheduled to be completed by 2021.
- While creating a safe and sustainable environment for the growth of industry, business, trade and lifestyle, iWTC will also have a dedicated space for cultural expressions of women to promote and showcase performing arts and cultural forms like dance, music and theatre.
|Kerala CM||Pinarayi Vijayan|
|Kerala Governor||Arif Mohammad Khan|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
IPPB rolls out of Aadhaar-enabled payment services (AePS)
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has rolled out Aadhaar enabled payment system (AePS) services.
- IPPB has now become the single largest platform in the country for providing interoperable banking services to the customers of any bank.
- Union Minister for Communications and IT Ravi Shankar Prasad today announced the rollout of AePS services on IPPB’s first anniversary.
- With AePS services, any person with a bank account linked to Aadhaar can perform basic banking services such as cash withdrawals and balance enquiry irrespective of the bank they hold their account with.
- To avail these Aadhaar enabled payment services, a customer can simply authenticate his/her identity with fingerprint scan and Aadhaar authentication to complete a transaction.
|India Post Payments Bank (IPPB)|
|IPPB CEO||Suresh P. Sethi|
|IPPB Headquarters||New Delhi|
|IPPB Tagline||Aapka Bank Aapke Dwaar|
India &ADB sign $200 million loan to improve rural connectivity in Maharashtra
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $200 million loan to upgrade rural roads to all-weather standards in 34 districts of Maharashtra
- The project will improve the condition of about 2,100 kilometers (km) of rural roads to all-weather standards, with climate resilience and safety features
- Provision of contractual maintenance for 5 years following construction has also been provided under the project
|Asian Development Bank (ADB)|
|ADB President||Takehiko Nakao|
|ADB Headquarters||Mandaluyong, Philippines|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Rajiv Kumar appointed as MD of Microsoft India R&D
- Microsoft has appointed Rajiv Kumar as the new managing director of Microsoft India (R&D) Pvt Ltd (MIRPL).
- Kumar, who is currently the company’s Experiences and Devices (E+D) group, succeeds Anil Bhansali and will be relocating to Redmond, United States(US).
Justice VikramNath Appointed as Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court
- President of India has appointed Justice Vikram Nath as Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court.
- The Collegium on 8th April, 2019 had recommended that Mr. Justice VikramNath, senior-most Judge from Allahabad High Court be appointed as Chief Justice of the Andhra Pradesh High Court.
- Justice Anant Surendraray Dave who was the acting chief justice of the Gujarat HC as Gujrat HC had been without a regular chief justice since November 2018 as the then Chief Justice R S Reddy was elevated to the Supreme Court (SC).
23-Year Old Anupriya Lakra Becomes First Woman Pilot From Odisha’s Maoist-Hit Region
- Twenty-three-year-old Anupriya Lakra, a tribal woman from Odisha’s Maoist-hit Malkangiri district to become the first female pilot from the backward region.
- She will join a private airline as a co-pilot.
Madras HC Chief Justice VK Tahilramani resigns
- High Court Chief Justice(HC-CJ) of Madras, Vijaya Kamlesh Tahilramani resigned from her post after being transferred to Meghalaya HC.
- The resignation of Tahilramani who was appointed as the CJ of Madras in August 2018, comes after the reconsideration appeal of her transfer was rejected.
- AK Mittal, Meghalaya HC was announced to be transferred to the Madras HC in place of Tahilramani.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOUR
Noted Odia writer Dr.Pradeep Dash to receive 40th Sarala Puraskar
- Noted Odia writer Pradeep Dash will be conferred with the 40th edition of prestigious Sarala Puraskar for his poetry work Charu Chibar O Charjya
- The annual award, comprising a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh and a citation, will be presented at a special function to be held on October 26.
- Two more notable personalities of Odisha will be honoured for their valuable contribution in the field of music and art. While Pandit Harmohan Khuntia will be awarded ‘Ila Panda Sangeet Samman’, Lalat Mohan Patnaik will receive ‘Ila Panda Chitrakala Samman’,
- They will receive a cash award of Rs 1,50,000 each along with citations, the award committee
- The annual SaralaPuraskar instituted by eminent Odia industrialist Late Bansidhar Panda and Late Ila Panda in 1979, has been continuously awarded by Indian Metals Public Charitable Trust (IMPaCT)
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
‘Fortune Turners: The Quartet That Spun India To Glory’ launched
- Book titled ‘Fortune Turners: The Quartet that spun India to glory’ on spin quartet written by Aditya Bhushan and Sachin Bajaj was launched in New Delhi. It is published by Global Cricket School.
- It reveals the careers of the famous four spinners of Indian cricket team- Bishan Singh Bedi, Erapalli Prasanna, Bhagwat Chandrashekhar, and S. Venkataraghavan, who dominated Indian bowling in the 1960s-70s and were instrumental in some of the team’s famous victories of the time.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
International conference on energy efficiency begins in New Delhi
- An international conference Augmenting Nature by Green Affordable New-habitat (ANGAN) focussed on energy efficiency in the buildings sector began.
- The Conference is being organised by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) under the aegis of the power ministry in collaboration with GIZ under the Indo German Technical Cooperation.
- The international conference will provide a platform to deliberate on inter-dependence between organizations, sustainability and feedback loops for better resource efficiency.
- As part of this event, an exhibition on energy efficient building material suppliers, technology suppliers, research institutions and universities displayed latest things in the building energy efficiency sector is also displayed.
First helicopter summit held in Dehradun
- The Ministry of Civil Aviation organised India’s first-ever helicopter summit.
- The Indian Air Force was invited at the summit to talk on the “role of IAF helicopters in MEDEVAC (Medical evacuation) at the national level”.
- Theme: Expanding connectivity through helicopters
- The conclave was attended by Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat, the Aviation Secretary, and the Chief Secretary of Uttrakhand, amongst others.
|Uttarakhand CM||Trivendra Singh Rawat|
|Uttarakhand Governor||Baby Rani Maurya|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
India ranked fourth in global malaria cases in 2017: Lancet report
- India ranked fourth in the global incidence of the deadly mosquito-borne disease malaria in 2017, with four per cent of the cases worldwide reported in the country, according to a report published in The Lancet journal.
- Of the 219 million cases of malaria reported globally in 2017, nearly 10 million were from India, making it the fourth most affected by the disease — only behind the African countries Nigeria, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Mozambique.
- The report was compiled by more than 40 experts including malariologists, biomedical scientists, economists, and health policy experts, assimilating existing evidence with new epidemiological and financial analyses.
- The authors used new modelling techniques and estimated how prevalent and intense malaria could be in 2030 and 2050.
Mumbai ranks 5th position in Knight Frank’s Asia Pacific Co-living Index
- Mumbai occupies the fifth position in the Asia Pacific Co-living Index by Knight Frank while New Delhi is ranked 11th and Bengaluru 19th
- The report titled “Insights on Co-living – An Asia-Pacific Perspective.”
- Beijing, Tokyo, Shanghai and Hong Kong occupy the top four ranks in that index
- The report covers 20 major Asia-Pacific cities classified into six key attributes like- Tech & Financial Hub, Venture Capital Deals & Growth, Housing Affordability, University Population, General Population & Human Development Index, and Quality of Life
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
US Open 2019
- Rafael Nadal beats Daniil Medvedev to win 19th Grand Slam title. Rafael Nadal won his 19th Grand Slam title after holding off Russian Daniil Medvedev’s exhilarating fightback in one of the greatest US Open finals.
|Men’s Singles||Rafael Nadal|
|Women’s Singles||Bianca Andreescu|
|Men’s Doubles||Juan Sebastián Cabal
|Women’s Doubles||Elise Mertens
|Mixed Doubles||Bethanie Mattek-Sands
Mo Farah and Brigid Kosgei wins record sixth straight title
- Kenyan athlete Brigid Kosgei broke the world record for the fastest half-marathon by a woman as she finished the 2019 Great North Run in 1 hour, four minutes and 28 seconds.
- This was 23 seconds faster than the previous record, set by fellow Kenyan Joyciline Jepkosgei in 2017.
- In men’s elite race, Mo Farah won the title for a record sixth successive year finishing in 59 minutes 7 seconds.
- The Great North Run is the biggest half marathon in United Kingdom held annually.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Actor, Kathak Dancer Veeru Krishnan Passes Away
- Actor-Kathak dancer Veeru Krishnan, known for his work in films such as Ishq, Hum Hain Rahi PyarKe and Raja Hindustani, passed away.
- Krishnan mostly appeared in supporting roles in films in the 1990s.
Senior Odisha journalist Dilip Satpathy passes away
- Senior journalist Dilip Satpathy passed away. He was 56.
- Satpathy was the Resident Editor of national English daily Business Standard, Bhubaneswar edition. He had started his career as a reporter with Sun Times, a broadsheet published by Sambad group.
- Satpathy later joined Business Standard as State Correspondent before being elevated to Resident Editor of its Bhubaneswar edition.
Freedom fighter Heeralal Sharma passed away
- Freedom fighter Heeralal Sharma has passed away
- Sharma, who took active part in freedom struggle and was also jailed for two years
/ 5. Reviews