Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
National Safe Motherhood Day
- National Safe Motherhood Day (NSMD) is observed annually on 11 April to raise awareness about the proper healthcare of women and maternity facilities to pregnant and lactating women.
- This day also focus on reducing anaemia among women, institutional delivery, for better pre and post natal health care etc. which are necessary for mothers.
- National Safe Motherhood Day is an initiative of the White Ribbon Alliance India (WRAI), to enforce that women must have the availability and adequate access to care during Pregnancy childbirth and postnatal services.
- At the request of WRAI, an alliance of 1800 organizations, in 2003, the Government of India declared April 11th, the anniversary of Kasturba Gandhi’s birth, as National Safe Motherhood Day.
|Theme 2019||‘Midwives for Mothers’|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
India builds maternity hospital in Nepal
- India has built a 25-bed maternity hospital in Nepal. The hospital has been built under the Government of India’s Small Development Projects Scheme.
- Indian Ambassador to Nepal Manjeev Singh Puri inaugurated the Chandra Narayan Yadav Memorial Maternity Hospital in Siraha district.
- It will also help in reducing maternal and child mortality rate.
- Health is one of the core areas of cooperation between India and Nepal. Several health posts, nursing campuses maternity centres, eye hospitals, naturopathy hospitals have been undertaken under the Government of India’s Small Development Project scheme.
|President||Bidya Devi Bhandari|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
NGT imposes Rs. 100-crore penalty on Andhra Pradesh government over illegal sand mining
- The National Green Tribunal has slapped an interim penalty of Rs 100 crore on the Andhra Pradesh government for inaction to prevent illegal sand mining in the state.
- The tribunal headed by Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel who is the chairperson of NGT directed the state government to deposit Rs 100 crore ‘environment compensation’ with the Central Pollution Control Board (CPSB) within a month.
|Andhra Pradesh Capital||Hyderabad, Amaravathi|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Government retains GPF interest rate at 8% for Apr-Jun quarter
- The government has retained the interest rate for General Provident Fund (GPF) and other related schemes at 8 per cent for the April-June quarter.
- The interest rate on GPF was at 8 per cent in the January-March quarter of 2018-19.
- The interest rate will be applicable on provident funds of central government employees, railways and defence forces.
Irdai asks insurers to share status of claims with policyholders from Jul 1
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has advised all the insurance company to devise a framework to share the status of claims by developing a tracking mechanism for policyholders so as to enable them to know the status of their claim.
- Insurance companies will have to inform about claim settlement status to policyholders at various stages of processing from July.
|IRDAI- Regulatory and Development Authority of India|
|Chairperson||Subhash Chandra Khuntia|
HDFC AMC ranked 1st in terms of Assets
- India’s asset management companies (AMCs) own assets under management (AUM) worth Rs24.46 trillion, according to data released by the Association of Mutual Funds in India (Amfi).
- HDFC Asset Management Co. Ltd has claimed the top spot with an average AUM of Rs3.42 trillion, overtaking ICICI Prudential Asset Management Co. Ltd with an average AUM of at Rs3.20 trillion.
- Out of the total industry assets, a huge 82.7% is owned by the top 10 AMCs, who have owned around 80% of the industry assets over at least three years now.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Netanyahu set for fifth term as Israeli PM
- Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu looks all but certain to stay in office for a record fifth term after his biggest election challenger, Benny Gantz, admitted defeat.
- With more than 99 percent of votes counted, Netanyahu’s Likud tied with Gantz’s Blue and White, gaining 35 seats each
- Number of right-wing parties has expressed their support for Netanyahu, a coalition between Likud and smaller right-wing parties could form a 65 seat majority.
|Israel Currency||Israeli new shekel|
|Israel President||Benjamin Netanyahu|
Vikram Nath appointed as first chief justice of new Andhra Pradesh HC
- Senior judge of Allahabad high court, Justice Vikram Nath, was appointed as the first Chief Justice of Andhra Pradesh High Court.
- A collegium of Supreme Court comprising Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi and judges S A Bobde and N V Ramana recommended the name of Justice Nath as the chief justice of the AP High Court.
- The new high court for Andhra Pradesh was created on January 1 this year, following the bifurcation of a combined high court for AP and Telangana, which had been operating from Hyderabad since June 2, 2014, when the two Telugu states got separated.
Algeria’s interim president Abdelkader Bensalah
- Algeria’s parliament confirmed Abdelkader Bensalah as the new interim president of the country, following lat week’s resignation by the ailing Abdelaziz Bouteflika.
- Bouteflika’s resignation, fuelled by protests that have lasted over a month, means Algeria has a new president for the first time in 20 years
- Bensalah has served as a lawmaker, ambassador, civil servant and senator, but it is his role as upper house speaker which paved the way for his appointment to the presidency.
Navratna Cool ropes in Varun Dhawan as the new face of the brand
- Navratna, one of the power brands of Emami Limited has roped in Bollywood heart throb & actor Varun Dhawan to endorse Navratna Cool.
- The popular actor, known for his massy youth appeal and versatility is going to add freshness to Navratna Cool as its new brand ambassador.
Lapin confirmed as Haiti’s new prime minister
- Haiti’s President Jovenel Moise confirmed Jean-Michel Lapin as the country’s new prime minister.
- He succeeds Jean-Henry Ceant. Lapin is the third Premier under President Moise since he came to office in February 2017.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
India’s population grew at 1.2 % average annual rate between 2010 and 2019
- India’s population grew at an average annual rate of 1.2 per cent between 2010 and 2019 to 1.36 billion, more than double the annual growth rate of China, according to a report by the United Nations Population Fund.
- India’s population in 2019 stood at 1.36 billion, growing from 942.2 million in 1994 and 541.5 million in 1969.
- India’s population grew at average annual rate of 1.2 per cent between 2010 and 2019, the UN sexual and reproductive health agency said in the State of World Population 2019 report.
- According to the report, in India, total fertility rate per woman was 5.6 in 1969, dropping to 3.7 in 1994 and 2.3 in 2019.
- India’s population composition in 2019, the report said 27 per cent of the country’s population was in the age bracket of 0-14 years and 10-24 years each, while 67 per cent of the country’s population was in the 15-64 age bracket.
- Six per cent of the country’s population was of the age 65 and above.
- The report noted that Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR) in the country dropped from 488 deaths per 100,000 live births in 1994 to 174 deaths per 100,000 live births in 2015.
|United Nations Population Fund|
|Executive Director||Natalia Kanem|
|Headquarters||New York, United States|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Virat Kohli, Smriti Mandhana Named Wisden’s Leading Cricketers Of 2018
- Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli and women’s cricketer Smriti Mandhana were named the Leading Cricketers in the World in the 2019 edition of the Wisden Cricketers.
- Kohli has won the honour for an unprecedented third year in a row while it’s the first time Smriti has won the honour. Afghanistan spinner Rashid Khan was named the Leading T20 cricketer for the second year in a row.
- Kohli was also named as one of Wisden’s Five Cricketers of the Year alongside English cricketers Jos Buttler, Sam Curran, Rory Burns and Tammy Beaumont.
- Wisden has been awarding cricketers since 1889 and it is considered one of the most prestigious honours in the sport.
Shot putter Manpreet Kaur banned for 4 years for dope flunk
- Asian champion shot putter Manpreet Kaur has been banned for four years by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) for flunking four dope tests in 2017. The period of suspension would begin from July 20, 2017, the date of her provisional suspension, according to an order of the anti-doping disciplinary panel (ADDP) of the NADA.
- Manpreet tested positive four times in 2017. The first was at the Asian Grand Prix at Jinhua, China on April 24, followed by Federation Cup in Patiala (June 1), Asian Athletics Championships in Bhubaneswar (July 6) and the Inter-State Championships in Guntur (July 16). She won gold in all these meets.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Former Kerala Finance Minister K M Mani passed away
- Kerala Congress veteran and former state Finance Minister K M Mani has passed away
- He had been an MLA of Pala assembly constituency for nearly five decades. Mani was a member of the house for 54 years and a minister in the state cabinet for 25 years.