Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
29th Indian Paint Conference – 2019 inaugurated in Agra
- 29th Indian Paint Conference – 2019 inaugurated in Agra, Uttar Pradesh
- This would be the largest trade show of the estimated INR 500 billion (50,000 Crore) Indian Paints & Coatings industry.
- The theme of the Conference is ‘Paints Pe Charcha – Naye Aayaam’.
- Apex body of the country’s paint industry – Indian Paint Association (IPA)
Rajyavardhan Rathore launched National Youth Parliament Festival 2019
- Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Col Rajyavardhan Rathore launched the National Youth Parliament Festival 2019 at New Delhi.
- The theme of the festival is Be the Voice of New India and Find solutions and contribute to policy
- The Ministry has decided to organise the youth festival at every district of the country so that the youth between the age group of 18 to 25 years can participate and discuss and debate about how to make a New India.
- The festival will be held at District, State and National level to select the best speakers, maximum of 50 best speakers from the digital screening and 50 best speakers from walk in process will be shortlisted by the screening committee to participate in the District Youth Parliament.
|Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports|
|Minister of State (I\C)||Col Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
US launched new innovation initiative at Raisina Dialogue 2019
- The United States Chamber of Commerce’s Global Innovation Policy Center (GIPC) launched a new innovation initiative at the Raisina Dialogue in New Delhi. The initiative, titled “Fair Value for Innovation”.
- That will examine economic underpinnings that would enable breakthrough innovation, and explore how policymakers can harness innovation capital in India and around the globe through research, advocacy, partnerships, and programs.
- The Raisina Dialogue is India’s most influential conference on geopolitics and geo economics, convened by the Observer Research Foundation and the Indian Ministry of External Affairs in New Delhi.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Gujarat becomes 1st state to implement 10% quota to EWS
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has announced that his government will implement the 10 per cent reservation for economically weaker sections of the general category with immediate effect.
- His announcement comes less than a week after Parliament passed a constitutional amendment bill to facilitate 10 per cent reservation for upper castes in higher education and employment.
- The 10% quota will be applicable for higher education and govt job, Not applicable for recruitment/admission that have already started.
|Governor||Om Prakash Kohli|
The Bhopal Literature and Art Festival inaugurated at Bharat Bhavan
- Bhopal’s first literature festival organised by the Society for Culture and Environment inaugurated at Bharat Bhavan
- The literary event will see participation by over 70 writers and artists attending the festival.
|Madhya Pradesh Capital||Bhopal|
Sikkim launches ‘One Family, One Job’ scheme
- Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling launched the ‘One Family One Job’ scheme which entitles one government job for every family in the state.
- Sikkim has become the first state in the country to carry out such an exclusive programme for the people who would now be entitled to state government employee benefits.
|CM||Pawan Kumar Chamling|
Odisha launched free LED bulb distribution scheme
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the ‘Ama Ghare LED’ (LED bulbs in our houses) scheme which will benefit about 95 lakh families in the State. Each beneficiary family will get four LED bulbs free of cost under the scheme.
- LED bulbs (9-watt each) will be distributed to the beneficiaries registered under the National Food Security Act (NFSA) and the State Food Security Scheme (SFSS).
- Distribution of the bulbs will be started at the PEETHA (Peoples Empowerment – Enabling Transparency and Accountability of Odisha Initiatives) schemes on January 15.
- Odisha Power Transmission Corporation Limited (OPTCL) will be implementing the scheme and the bulbs will be distributed through camps and PDS outlets across the State.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Ashok Chawla Resigned as NSE Chairman
- Ashok Chawla has resigned as the chairman of the National Stock Exchange of India (NSE)
- The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) informed a special CBI court that it has got sanction from the government to prosecute five people current and former bureaucrats in the Aircel-Maxis case including Chawla.
|National Stock Exchange of India (NSE)|
TCS appoints Daniel Hughes Callahan as Independent Director
- India’s largest IT services company Tata Consultancy Services has appointed Daniel Hughes Callahan as an Additional and Independent Director.
- Callahan has been appointed as an Additional and Independent Director for a period of five years with effect from January 10, 2019,
- He was the Chief Administrative Officer and Head of Operations and Technology at Citigroup and was a member of Citi’s Operating Committee until November 2018
- Prior to joining Citi in 2007, he held senior level positions in IBM Japan, Morgan Stanley, and Credit Suisse.
|TCS Chairman||Natarajan Chandrasekaran|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Adi Godrej conferred ICSI lifetime award
- Industrialist and Godrej Group Chairman Adi Godrej was conferred the ICSIs Lifetime Achievement Award for ‘Translating Excellence in Corporate Governance into Reality.
- The 18th ICSI National Awards for Excellence in Corporate Governance were bagged jointly by Cipla Ltd and Dabur India Ltd and five others: ACC Ltd, Hindustan Unilever Ltd, Indian Oil Corp, Tata Metaliks Ltd and Indian Hotels Co Ltd.
- The 3rd CSR Excellence Awards went to GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd, Tata Power Co Ltd and Ambuja Cements Ltd in Emerging, Medium and Large categories respectively.
- The awards were instituted by The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI).
|Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI)|
Namita Gokhale wins Sushila Devi Literature Award
- Writer Namita Gokhale has won the Sushila De
- She was awarded in the ‘Best Book of Fiction Written by a Woman Author’ category at the inaugural edition of Bhopal Literature and Art Festival (BLF) and comes with a cash prize of Rs 2 lakh.
- Gokhale, also the co-founder of the Jaipur Literature Festival.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
4th meeting of the Council for Trade Development and Promotion (CTDP) in New Delhi
- Union Minister for Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu, chaired the 4th meeting of the Council for Trade Development and Promotion (CTDP) in New Delhi
- Suresh Prabhu informed that the Government of India has formulated an Agricultural Export Policy for the first time with a focused plan to boost India’s agricultural exports to USD 60 billion by 2022.
- CTDP was constituted in July 2015, to ensure a continues dialogue with State Governments/UTs on measures for providing International Trade enabling environments. It also seeks to create a framework for making States/ UTs active partners in boosting India’s export.
|Minister for Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation||Suresh Prabhu|
|Constituency||Andhra Pradesh, Rajya Sabha|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Economist Intelligence Unit 2018 Democracy Index
- Norway topped and India has ranked at 41st placeon the Economist Intelligence Unit’s annual Global Democracy Index.
- The EIU Democracy Index provides a snapshot of the state of world democracy for 165 independent states and two territories.
- The Democracy Index is based on five categories: electoral process and pluralism; civil liberties; the functioning of government; political participation; and political culture
- Based on their scores on 60 indicators within these categories, each country is then itself classified as one of four types of regime: full democracy; flawed democracy; hybrid regime; and authoritarian regime.
|Economist Intelligence Unit|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Albie Morkel announced retirement from all formats of cricket
- South African all rounder Albie Morkel announced his retirement from all forms of cricket, putting an end to nearly 20-year of professional cricketing career.
- Morkel played one Test, 58 ODIs and 50 T20Is for his country, scoring 1412 runs and picking up 77 wickets across formats.
|South Africa Capital||Cape Town, Pretoria|
|Currency||South African rand|
Maharashtra tops the medal tally with 37 golds at the Khelo India Youth Games in Pune
- Maharashtra had 111 medals in its kitty with 37 gold, 31 silver and 43 bronze. Delhi continues to follow second with 35 gold and Haryana too maintains its third position with 29 gold.
- Ten year old Abhinav Shaw became the youngest gold medallist in shooting, He teamed up with Mehuli Ghosh to help West Bengal win the 10 m air rifle mixed team event.
Bengaluru Raptors clinch PBL title
- Bengaluru Raptors beat Mumbai Rockets 4-3 in the final of the Premier Badminton League (PBL) at the Kanteerava Indoor Stadium in Bengaluru to win their maiden title.
- Kidambi Srikanth, Vu Ji Trang (Trump match) and men’s doubles pair of Mohammad Ahsan and Hendra Satiawan won their matches for Bengaluru Raptors.
/ 5. Reviews