Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
128th Birth Anniversary of Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar
- India celebrated Ambedkar Jayanti on April 14, 2019, to commemorate the 128th birth anniversary of the architect of the Indian Constitution, Dr BR Ambedkar Often called as Babasaheb, he was born on 14 April 1891.
- He was independent India’s first law and justice minister as well as a founding father of the Republic of India.
- Ambedkar was posthumously conferred with the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award, in 1990.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Vice President releases postage stamp, Rs. 100 coin to commemorate 100 years of Jallianwala Bagh massacre
- Commemorating the 100 years of Jallianwala Bagh massacre, Vice-President of India M Venkaiah Naidu released the commemorative postage stamp at the Jallianwala Bagh memorial.
- The Vice-President also released coins of Rs 100 with ‘Centenary of Jallianwala Bagh Massacre’ written on it and the memorial drawn on it.
- The postage stamp also bears the image of the Jallianwala Bagh memorial and one of the stamps is dedicated to the martyrs who lost their lives in the massacre.
- It took place on 13 April, 1919 at Amritsar and is also known as Amritsar massacre. On this day, British troops under the Command of Gen Dyer fired on a large crowd of unarmed Indians in Amritsar in Punjab of India. Several hundred peoples were killed and many hundreds were wounded.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
First-of-its-kind ‘Voter Park’ inaugurated in Gurugram
- India’s first-of-its-kind ‘Voter Park’ was inaugurated in Gurugram, aimed at increasing voter awareness and educating people about the electoral process.
- Haryana Chief Electoral Officer Rajeev Ranjan inaugurated the park in Vikas Sadan building complex.
- At the park, voters will get information about the polling process and the history of elections in the country.
|CM||Manohar lal Kathar|
|Governor||Satyadev Narayan Arya|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
21st ASEAN-India Senior Officials Meeting held at New Delhi
- The 21st ASEAN-India Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM) was held from 11-12 April 2019 at New Delhi.
- India congratulated Thailand on its assuming the Chairmanship of ASEAN for 2019 and welcomed its role as Country Coordinator of the ASEAN-India dialogue partnership for the period 2018-2021.
- The Meeting decided to impart urgency to Cooperation in Renewable Energy and hold an ASEAN-India Conference on Renewable Energy in 2019. The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) and ASEAN Centre for Energy (ACE) would be the co-partners for this project.
- The ASEAN-India partnership is being implemented through the ‘Plan of Action (2016-20) to implement the ASEAN-India Partnership for Peace, Progress and Shared Prosperity’.
Spring Meetings of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank Group
- The Spring Meeting 2019 of the Boards of Governors of the World Bank Group (WBG) and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) was held between April 8-14, 2019 in Washington DC, US.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and Economic Affairs Secretary Subhash Chandra Garg represented India in the meeting.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Mohammed Ishtaye sworn in as new Palestine Prime Minister
- New Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammed Ishtaye and his cabinet members were sworn in before President Mahmoud Abbas at his headquarters in the West Bank city of Ramallah
- Ishtaye will serve as the minister of interior and minister of Waqf, or religious affairs, until two new ministers are named.
- The new government consists of 24 ministers from the Palestine Liberation Organization, or PLO, Abbas’ Fatah Party, the Palestinian People’s Party, the FIDA party and the Palestinian Popular Struggle Front, in addition to independent figures.
|Capital||Ramallah, East Jerusalem|
|Israeli new shekel, Jordanian dinar, Egyptian pound|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Jailed Reuters journalists in Myanmar win U.N. press freedom prize
- The 2019 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano Press Freedom Prize, which honours the defence and promotion of press freedom, is being awarded to Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo as a tribute to their courage and commitment to freedom of expression, according to a press release from UNESCO.
- The two journalists had been working on stories about a military crackdown and alleged human rights violations in Rakhine state in Myanmar when they were arrested.
- They were also named as TIME’s Person of the Year, along with three other journalists and a news organization.
Scientist Dr A K Singh conferred with Lifetime Achievement Award
- Dr A K Singh was conferred with Lifetime Achievement Award during 4th APJ Abdul Kalam Innovation Conclave at Chandigarh University, Mohali.
- Dr A K Singh, director at Life Sciences, DRDO, was honoured with Lifetime Achievement Award for his rich contribution in the field of life sciences, aerospace and aeronautics.
- The conclave was organised by the university to mark World Creativity and Innovation Day.
- Dr Singh joined DRDO in 1988 and worked on various R&D projects. He has developed a “Diagnobact” kit, for detection of infectious lesion. He has also introduced and nurtured pharmacosyntigraphy
John Moore won the World Press Photo of the Year award
- A photo of a 2-year-old girl crying near the US-Mexico border has won the World Press Photo of the Year award.
- The image, titled “Crying Girl on the Border,” was taken by Getty photographer and Pulitzer Prize-winner John Moore on June 12 near McAllen, Texas.
- The Netherlands-based World Press Photo organization announced the award at a ceremony in Amsterdam.
- Dutch/Swedish photographer Pieter Ten Hoopen has won the World Press Story of the Year for the image of movement of thousands of Central American migrants who joined a caravan heading to the United States border between October and November 2018.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Stratolaunch Flies World’s Largest Plane for the First Time
- Stratolaunch, the private launch company founded by the late billionaire Paul Allen, has just flown the world’s largest aircraft for the first time.
- The massive airplane, which has a wingspan bigger than a football field and is designed to launch rockets from the air, took off on its maiden test flight from the Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
UAE to host world’s foremost Artificial Intelligence Summit
- UAE is set to host the world’s foremost Artificial Intelligence,AI Summit to empower global dialogue on the future of government, business and society
- The inaugural ‘AI Everything’, AIE will take place at the Dubai World Trade Centre, between 30th of this month and 1st of next month.
- The two day event will be hosted by the UAE National Programme for Artificial Intelligence, with the support of International Telecommunication Union( ITU), and the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO), and in strategic partnership with Smart Dubai
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Airtel merger with TTSL
- Bharti Airtel has confirmed that it has received in-principal approval from the telecom department for merger with Tata Teleservices (TTSL), subject to the condition that Sunil Mittal firm provides bank guarantees of about Rs. 7,200 crore.
- Manoj Sinha, telecom minster has conditionally approved the merger and that letters mentioning the guarantees were sent to Tata Teleservices Limited and its listed unit Tata Teleservices Maharashtra (TTML).
CMFRI, ISRO ink MoU to protect smaller wetlands
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the CMFRI and the Space Applications Centre of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- As per the MoU, the two institutes aim to identify and demarcate wetlands, and restore the degraded wetlands through suitable livelihood options like coastal aquaculture.
- The app will be used for real-time monitoring of the wetlands and giving advisories to stakeholders and coastal people.
- The collaborative move was part of a national framework for fisheries and wetlands recently developed by the National Innovations in Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA) project of CMFRI.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPS
Airtel, FLO launch ‘My Circle’ app for women’s safety
- Bharti Airtel in collaboration with FICCI Ladies Organisation launched a mobile app, My Circle, to help women in case they face any problem or a panic situation.
- The application is carrier agnostic which would work on phones with any telecom service network, both Airtel and non-Airtel.
- “My Circle app enables women to send SOS alerts to any five of their family or friends in 13 languages including English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Marathi, Punjabi, Bangla, Urdu, Assamese, Oriya, and Gujarati”.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS
Rowley Jefferson’s Journal Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid
- Jeff Kinney, an eminent author has emerged out with a new book titled “Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid: Rowley Jefferson’s Journal”. The book is written from the opinion of Rowley Jefferson, the best friend of ‘Diary of a Wimpy Kid’ supporter Greg Heffley.
- This book is Jeff Kinney’s first outside of his “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” series.The book is written in Kinney’s trademark humour. It will also mark around 350 black-and-white illustrations.
Autobiography of Social worker Sankurathri Chandrasekhar released
- ‘Ashakiranam,’ an autobiography of noted social worker Sankurathri Chandrasekhar, was released at a function.
- Religious scholar Chaganti Koteswara Rao released the book while writer and literary critic Vadrevu Veeralakshmi Devi reviewed the work. Penned by Dr. Chandrasekhar in English with title ‘A Ray of Hope’ the autobiography was translated into Telugu by Godavarthi Satyamurthy.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Lewis Hamilton wins the 2019 Chinese Grand Prix
- Lewis Hamilton won the Chinese Grand Prix to seize the overall lead from his Mercedes team mate Valtteri Bottas in Formula One’s 1,000th world championship.
- The win was the 75th of Hamilton’s career, second in a row after his lucky triumph in Bahrain and sixth in China.
Meena Kumari Maisnam clinches gold in Boxing World Cup
- India finished with 5 medals in the Boxing World Cup which concluded at Cologne, Germany.
- Meena Kumari Maisnam continued her fine run to win gold in the 54 kg.
- Reigning youth world champion Sakshi (57 kg) and India Open champion Pwilao Basumatary (64 kg) settled for the silver. Pinki Rani (51 kg) and Parveen ( 60 kg) won bronze.
FC Goa pip Chennaiyin FC to win 2019 Super Cup
- The 2019 Super Cup was the second edition of the Super Cup, the main club knockout football competition in India. The competition is sponsored by Hero MotoCorp and is officially known as the Hero Super Cup.
- FC Goa emerged as champions of the 2019 Super Cup as they pipped Chennaiyin FC 2-1 in a tense affair at the Kalinga Stadium, Odisha.
2019 Singapore Open Complete Winners List
The 2019 Singapore Open, was a badminton tournament which took place at Singapore Indoor Stadium in Singapore from 9 to 14 April 2019.
|Men’s Single||Kento Momota (Japan)||Anthony Sinisuka Ginting (Indonesia)|
|Women’s Single||Tai Tzu-ying (Taiwan)||Nozomi Okuhara (Japan)|
|Men’s Double||Takeshi Kamura and
Keigo Sonoda (Japan)
|Mohammad Ahsan and Hendra Setiawan (Indonesia)|
|Women’s Double||Mayu Matsumoto and Wakana Nagahara (Japan)||Kim Hye-jeong and Kong Hee-yong (South Korea)|
|Mixed Double||Dechapol Puavaranukroh and Sapsiree Taerattanachai (Thailand)||Tan Kian Meng and Lai Pei Jing (Malaysia)|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Renowned Hindi poet Pradeep Choubey passed away
- Hindi poet Pradeep Choubey has passed away
- Choubey, known for his humorous poetry, is survived by his daughter and son, the latter living in Mumbai
- He quit his job at Dena Bank to pursue his passion of poetry