Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try the Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
World Organ Donation Day
- Every year on August 13, World Organ Donation Day is celebrated across the India
- The day was dedicated to motivate people to pledge to donate their organs.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Newly-Discovered Lake in Nepal Likely to Become World’s Highest
- A newly-discovered lake in Nepal is likely to set a new record of being the world’s highest lake replacing Tilicho, which is situated at an altitude of 4,919 metres in the Himalayan nation and currently holding the title.
- The Kajin Sara lake in Manang district was discovered about a few months ago by a team of mountaineers. It is located at Singarkharka area of Chame rural municipality.
- As per the measurement of the lake taken by the team, it is located at an altitude of 5,200 metres, which is yet to be officially verified. It is estimated to be 1,500-metre-long and 600-metre-wide.
|Nepal Currency||Nepalese rupee|
|Nepal President||Bidya Devi Bhandari|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
HardeepPuri launches SwachhSurvekshan 2020
- ShriHardeep Singh Puri, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Housing & Urban Affairs launched theSwachhSurvekshan 2020 (SS 2020), the fifth edition of the annual cleanliness survey conducted by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
- Alongside, theSwachhSurvekshan 2020 Toolkit, SBM Water PLUS Protocol and Toolkit, Swachh Nagar – an integrated waste management app and AI enabled mSBM App were also launched.
- The event also saw the release of a special SwachhSurvekhan theme song featuring KanganaRanaut, singers KailashKher and Monali Thakur. ShriDurgaShanker Mishra, Secretary, MoHUA, Shri V.K. Jindal, Joint Secretary & Mission Director and representatives from serval urban local bodies were also present at the launch.
|Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Civil Aviation||Hardeep Singh Puri|
Target to provide skill development to 10 lakh youth under SAMARTH scheme
- Union Textiles Minister SmritiIrani stated that under SAMARTH scheme (scheme for capacity building in textile sector)targets to train 10 lakh persons (9 lakh in organised and 1 lakh in traditional sector) over a period of 3 years (2017-20), with an outlay of Rs. 1300 crore.
- The guidelines of the scheme were released on 23rd of April 2018
- The Scheme is intended to provide demand driven, placement oriented National Skills Qualifications Framework (NSQF) compliant skilling programmes to incentivize and supplement the efforts of the industry in creating jobs in the textiles sectors
|Minister of Women and Child Development; and Minister of Textiles||
|Constituency||Amethi, Uttar Pradesh|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
India, Russia to Boost Ties to Achieve $30 Billion in Bilateral Trade By 2025
- India and Russia have called for diversifying and deepening of economic ties in priority sectors to meet the bilateral trade target of $30 billion by 2025.
- An agreement was also signed between Amity University and Russia’s Far East Federal University to enhance relations and develop academic and cultural exchange in areas of education and research. An agreement was also concluded on the establishment of representative offices, Centre for Yoga, and Pushkin Centre for Russian Language and Cultural Studies.
- The chief ministers of Haryana, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh and Goa also sought Russian investments and collaborations in energy, agriculture and food processing sectors.
India-Russia bilateral trade stood at $8.3 billion in 2018-19.
|Russia’s Currency||Russian Rouble|
|Russia’s President||Vladimir Putin|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Karnataka launches E-Step to empower student start-ups
- The Department of IT, BT and S&T in Karnataka, through Karnataka Innovation and Technology Society (KITS), has launched the E-Step, an initiative to empower student start-ups.
- E-Step focuses on boot camps, mentoring and training programmes which cover various aspects of entrepreneurship.
- E-Step, an initiative from Start-up Cell, is a specially crafted for students/start-ups/entrepreneurs to understand the basics of entrepreneurship from experienced trainers.
|Karnataka CM||B. S. Yediyurappa|
Kolkata to get world’s first museum on ChaitanyaMahaprabhu
- The world’s first museum dedicated to the life and teachings of 16th-century saint and social reformer, ChaitanyaMahaprabhu is ready to be inaugurated at the city’s BaghbazarGaudiya Math.
- Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee will inaugurate the technically-enabled ‘Sri ChaitanyaMahaprabhu Museum’ built to preserve information related to the great saint.
|West Bengal Capital||Kolkata|
|West Bengal CM||Mamata Banerjee|
|West Bengal Governor||JagdeepDhankhar|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
BoB links home loan product to RBI’s repo rate
- Indian multinational, public sector bank, Bank of Baroda (BoB) has linked its home loan product to RBI’s (Reserve Bank of India (RBI)repo rate after State Bank of India (SBI).
- With this, home loans at BOB will be available at repo rate linked interest rate starting at 8.35%, thus passing on the further benefit of 10 basis points to the present MCLR rated pricing.
|Bank of Baroda CEO||P. S. Jayakumar|
|Bank of Baroda Headquarters||Vadodara|
|Bank of Baroda Tagline||India’s International Bank|
Indian Bank inks pact with Cholamandalam MS General Insurance
- Indian Bank has signed a corporate agency agreement with Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company for distribution of its insurance products to bank customers.
- According to the agreement, Cholamandalam MS General Insurance (a Murugappa Group company), would sell its range of insurance policies to customers of Indian Bank.
|Indian Bank CEO||PadmajaChunduru|
|Indian Bank Headquarters||Chennai|
|Indian Bank Tagline||Your Tech-friendly bank|
|Cholamandalam MS General Insurance headquarters||
Aditya Birla Health Insurance and Axis Bank ink bancassurance pact
- Aditya Birla Health Insurance (ABHI) has entered into a bancassurance partnership with Axis Bank
- Through this partnership, Aditya Birla Health Insurance will offer health insurance solutions to the Axis bank’s customers across its 4,094 branches and digital channels
- Aditya Birla Health Insurance is a subsidiary of Aditya Birla Capital, has completed two years of operations as of end March 2019
- Aditya Birla Health Insurance also ties up with KarurVysya Bank for bancassurance
|Axis Bank CEO||Amitabh Chaudhry|
|Axis Bank Headquarters||Mumbai|
|Axis Bank Tagline||BadhtiKanaamZindagi|
India contributes $1 million to UN Special Purpose Trust Fund
- India has contributed one million US Dollars to the United Nations Special Purpose Trust Fund for the Resident Coordinator System.
- The Special Purpose Trust Fund (SPTF) is a specific fund housed within the UN Secretariat established to receive, consolidate, manage and account for all contributions and financial transactions of the new Resident Coordinator system in a transparent and effective way
- India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador – Syed Akbaruddin
- The SPTF web portal, displays in real time all commitments, contributions and expenditures recorded for the fund
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
OYO to offer complimentary insurance cover up to ₹10 lakh to its guests
- Hospitality firm OYO has partnered ACKO General Insurance to launch complimentary insurance cover for guests at booking price for its properties across India.
- The guests will get insurance against accidental death, baggage loss and accidental medical expenses for the entire duration of their stay in a particular city.
- The insurance cover will be applicable to bookings made via OYO app, website, mobile website, direct bookings as well as walk-ins. The offering will be extended to other categories and booking channels in the coming days.
- The complimentary insurance package offers Oyo guests insurance coverage uptoRs.10 lakh for protection against accidental death, baggage loss (coverage uptoRs 10,000), accidental medical expenses (coverage uptoRs 25,000) amongst other benefits like OPD treatment
Ola acqui-hires Bengaluru-based AI startup Pikup.ai
- Ride-hailing firm Ola has acqui-hired Pikup.ai, a Bengaluru-based artificial intelligence start-up. Co-founded by Inder Singh and RitwikSaikia
- ai uses autonomous technologies like computer vision and sensor fusion to provide seamless AI-powered solutions for businesses.
- As part of the deal, the team at Pikup.ai will join Ola
- Acqui-hires is the process of acquiring a company primarily to recruit its employees, rather than its products or services.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOUR
PriyamChatterjee becomes first Indian chef to win French honour for reinventing the gastronomic scene
- PriyamChatterjeebecame the first Indian chef to be awarded the ‘Chevalier de l’Ordre du MériteAgricoleto’ by the government of France to recognise his contribution towards reinventing the gastronomic scene in India.
- Chatterjee (30) is best known for revisiting the traditional dishes from his native state of West Bengal and giving it a French twist.
- The award, instituted in 1883, the ‘Ordre du MériteAgricole’ (Order of Agricultural Merit) is a distinction bestowed by the French Republic for outstanding contributions, among others, to agriculture, agro-food industry and gastronomy.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
J-K to host 3-day Global Investors Summit in Srinagar from October 12
- Jammu and Kashmir government will host a three-day Global Investors Summit from 12th October in Srinagar
- The Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) will be the national partner for the investors meet.
- An MoU has been signed by Jammu and Kashmir Trade Promotion Organisation (JKTPO) and CII for organisation and management of the event
- Two Union Territories Jammu and Kashmir, and Ladakhwill come into existence on October 31 the birth anniversary of SardarVallabhbhai Patel.
|Jammu & Kashmir Capital||Jammu & Srinagar|
|Jammu & Kashmir CM||Vacant|
|Jammu & Kashmir Governor||Satya Pal Malik|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
GRSE launches its 5th fast patrol vessel for Indian Coast Guard
- Miniratna Category 1 defence PSU and premier warship builder Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) launched the Fifth Fast Patrol Vessel (FPV) for the Indian Coast Guard at Raja Bagan Dockyard Unit of GRSE Kolkata.
- This ship, to be commissioned as ICGS KanaklataBarua, is the last in the series of Five FPVs built by GRSE.
- The ship is 50m long, 7.5m wide and has a displacement of around 308 tons. These FPVs are designed for a maximum speed of 34 knots with an endurance of more than 1500 nautical miles and come with an efficient hull form developed in-house and proven after extensive model testing.
- The FPV designs are an improvisation on the Inshore Patrol Vessels built by GRSE for the Indian Coast Guard in 2013 and are well suited for patrolling, anti-smuggling, anti-poaching, and rescue operations.
Japanese Maritime Self Defence Ship Visits Kochi
- A missile destroyer, JS Sazanami of the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF), is on a two day goodwill visit to Kochi from 13 August 2019.
- The visiting team were also given a conducted tour of the Anti-Submarine Warfare School and the Naval Offshore Patrol Vessel, INS Sunayna.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Women’s cricket, beach volleyball and Para table tennis confirmed as events at Birmingham 2022
- Women’s Twenty20 cricket, beach volleyball and Para-table tennis have been included in the 2022 Commonwealth Game scheduled to be held in Birmingham, England.
- However, this time shooting and archery events will not take place in the 2022 Commonwealth Game.
- The last time cricket was played in Commonwealth Games was in the year 1998 that was held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It was 50 over men’s cricket in which South Africa won the Gold Medal.
Wesley Sneijder declares retirement from professional football
- The Netherlands’ most-capped player Wesley Sneijder announced his retirement from football, bringing down the curtain on a trophy-laden career that spanned 17 years.
- The 35-year-old, who played 134 times for his country, made the announcement while speaking to the YouTube channel of his hometown club FC Utrecht after having bought a corporate box at their stadium.
Djokovic remains at top of ATP rankings
- Wimbledon 2019 champion Novak Djokovic remains to be at the top of the ATP rankings while Rafael Nadaltakes the second position.
India U-19 cricket team beat Bangladesh by 6 wickets, win tri-series
- India’s U-19 cricket team defeated Bangladesh in finals by 6 wickets at the County Ground, Hove in United Kingdom (UK) and clinched the Under-19 Tri-Series 2019 Title.
- Tri-nation series between India, Bangladesh and England was held from July 21-August 11, 2019 in England.
- The captain of Indian U-19 team was PriyamGarg and of U-19 Bangladesh team was Akbar Ali.
Cricket Australia launched new transgender inclusive policy
- Cricket Australia has announced a new guideline which enables transgender players to play the game of cricket at the highest levels.
- The decision aligns in accordance with the International Cricket Council’s (ICC’s) gender recognition policy and gender diversity guidelines.
- The policy sets out a testosterone limit for transgender and gender-diverse players who want to play for state and national women’s teams.
- Transgender cricket player Erica James, from New South Wales, played a key role in helping Cricket Australia on forming new guidelines
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Argentina defenderJose Luis Brown passed away
- Argentina’s 1986 World Cup-winning Football playerJose Luis Brown has passed away
- He was Known to his friends as Tata,
- Brown made 36 appearances for Argentina and scored the first goal in their 3-2 World Cup final victory over West Germany in 1986.
/ 5. Reviews