Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
- Army Day is celebrated on 15 January every year in India.
- It is 71st Army Day
- Army Day is celebrated on 15 January every year in India, in recognition of Field Marshal Kodandera M. Cariappa’s (then a Lieutenant General) taking over as the first Commander in Chief of the Indian Army from General Sir Francis Butcher, the last British Commander-in-Chief of India, on 15 January 1949.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Government launched ‘Womaniya on Government e Marketplace’ initiative
- The Union Government launched the ‘Womaniya on Government e Marketplace (GeM)’, an initiative to enable women entrepreneurs and Women Self-Help Groups (WSHGs) to sell handicrafts, handloom, accessories, and other products directly to Government departments and institutions.
- GeM is an online platform of the ministry for procurement of goods and services by government departments, public sector units, and other agencies.
- GeM was setup in 2016 and has 731,431 product categories, with 180,862 registered sellers and 32,114 government buyers.
|Government e Marketplace (GeM) CEO||Radha Chauhan|
Government Launched two National level Initiatives in the field of science communication
- The Department of Science and Technology (DST) along with Doordarshan (DD), Prasar Bharati launched two science communication initiatives, DD Science and India Science
- Union Science & Technology Minister, Dr. Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the initiative.
- DD Science is an one hour slot on Doordarshan National channel, which will be telecast Monday to Saturday from 5 pm to 6pm.
- India Science is an internet based channel, which is available on any internet-enabled device, and will offer live, scheduled play and video-on-demand services.
Madras HC Forms Committee to Weed out Invasive Plant Species
- The Madras High Court has set up an expert committee to find a solution to root out invasive species of plants from the Western Ghats.
- Committee will be headed by Cherukuri Raghavendra Babu, chairman of Expert Committee on Invasive Species, National Biodiversity Authority, Chennai
- It has also directed the panel to file a report on the ways to weed out such species within two months.
|Madras High Court Chief justice||Vijaya Tahilramani|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
India’s largest startup ecosystem inaugurated in Kerala
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated a 1.8 lakh square feet facility housing incubation set ups across a string of segments in modern technology.
- The Integrated Startup Complex under the Kerala Startup Mission (KSUM) includes the ultra modern facilities of Maker Village that promote hardware startups, the BioNest that promotes medical technologies, BRINC which is the country’s first international accelerator for hardware startups.
- The Kerala state government intends to expand its incubation space further and after the completion of three more projects, Kerala will have a total startup and incubation space of 5 lakh Sq ft. This will be one of the largest incubation facilities in the world.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
ICICI Bank appointed, B Sriram, Rama Bijapurkar as independent directors
- Private sector ICICI Bank inducted former SBI Managing Director B Sriram on its board as independent director and management consultant Rama Bijapurkar was also appointed as director.
- Both were appointed for 5 years, subject to the approval of shareholders
- Sriram retired as the managing director of IDBI Bank in September 2018. Prior to IDBI Bank, he was the managing director of SBI.
|ICICI Bank Headquarters||Mumbai|
|Tagline||Hum Hain Na!|
|MD & CEO||Sandeep Bakhshi|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Stephen Constantine Resigned as Coach of Indian Football Team
- Stephen Constantine resigned from his position of Indian football team’s head coach after the Blue Tigers suffered an exit from the group stage of the AFC Asian Cup 2019.
- This was his second stint as the coach of the Indian football team, the first time being back in 2002 when he managed the team for three years.
- He returned to the seat after taking over for a second time in 2015, succeeding Dutch Wim Koevermans.
Manu Sawhney appointed as new ICC CEO
- The International Cricket Council appointed media professional Manu Sawhney as its new chief executive officer, replacing incumbent David Richardson, who will step down after the World Cup.
- Sawhney, the former CEO of Singapore Sports Hub and Managing Director of ESPN Star Sports, will join the organisation
|International Cricket Council|
|Headquarters||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
CWG Boxing Gold Medallist Mohammed Ali Qamar Appointed as Women’s Boxing Team Coach
- Mohammed Ali Qamar, India’s first Commonwealth Games gold medal winner in boxing, has taken over as chief coach for the country’s women pugilists.
- He replacing veteran Shiv Singh.
- Qamar has become the youngest person to get the top job.
- He won a gold medal in the 2002 Manchester Commonwealth Games in the light flyweight category.
|International Boxing Association (AIBA)|
|AIBA Headquarters||Lausanne, Switzerland|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
PM Narendra Modi receives Philip Kotler award for outstanding leadership
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, received the first ever Philip Kotler Presidential award, in New Delhi.
- The Award focuses on the triple bottom line of People, Profit and Planet. It will be offered annually to the leader of a Nation.
- According to the award citation, Modi was selected for his “outstanding leadership for the nation”.
- The Citation mentions initiatives such as Make in India, Startup India, Digital India, and Swachh Bharat.
- Philip Kotler is a world renowned Professor of Marketing at Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management.
Yu Wensheng wins Franco German human rights award
- A detained Chinese rights lawyer Yu Wensheng has won a European human rights award for his “exceptional contribution” to the protection and promotion of human rights.
- Yu Wensheng, who is in pre trial detention on subversion charges, has been held incommunicado by authorities in Jiangsu’s Xuzhou city for more than a year.
- His wife Xu Yan received the Franco German Prize for Human Rights behalf of her husband from the French and German ambassadors to China.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: COMMITTEE
Government constitutes Group of Ministers for boosting the Real Estate Sector under GST
- Government has constituted a seven-member Group of Ministers (GoM) to boost the real estate sector under the GST regime
- Deputy Chief Minister of Gujarat Nitin Patel will be the convener of the GoM.
- Finance Ministers of Maharashtra, Karnataka, Kerala, Punjab and Uttar Pradesh and the Panchayat Minister of Goa will be the members.
- It will analyse tax rate of GST and suggest a composition scheme for residential construction units.
- The committee will examine legality of inclusion and exclusion of land or any other ingredient, in composition and suggest valuation mechanism.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
9th International Micro irrigation conference inaugurated in Aurangabad
- Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, is organised the 9th International Micro Irrigation Conference at Aurangabad in Maharashtra.
- The conference is held in association with International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID), Indian National Committee on Surface Water (INCSW) and WAPCOS Limited, a CPSE under the Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation.
- The theme of the conference is “Micro Irrigation and Modern Agriculture”.
|International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID),|
Global Aviation Summit 2019 inaugurated in Mumbai
- The Union Minister of Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu on January 15, 2019 inaugurated the Global Aviation Summit 2019 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- The theme of the Global Aviation Summit 2019 is ‘Flying for all especially the next 6 Billion’.
- The two-day summit is being organised by the Union Ministry of Civil Aviation, Airport Authority of India (AAI) in association with the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
|Minister of Civil Aviation||Suresh Prabhu|
|Constituency||Andhra Pradesh, Rajya Sabha|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
8 year old Kartik Singh becomes youngest to win Junior World title in golf
- Gurgaon’s 8-year-old Kartik Singh has won the under 8 category at the Kids’ Golf World Championship organised by US kids Golf in Malaysia, which makes him the youngest Indian to win the title.
- He finished 8th at the US kids junior world championship 2017, Pinehurst, the USA in 7 year category.
Shakil Ahmed sets world record in Indoor rowing
- Asian Cup Gold medallist Shakil Amed set up a world record in indoor rowing by completing 1,00,000 (one lakh) metres in above 40 years category.
- Shakil began his record setting indoor rowing feat in Salt Lake stadium complex and achieved the milestone of covering 1,00,000 metres of simulated distance in 10 hours.
1st National EMRS National Sports Meet, 2019 Began at Hyderabad
- The 1st National Level Sports Meet for the students of Eklavya Model Residential Schools (EMRS) was inaugurated by Shri Jaswantsinh Sumanbhai Bhabhor, Minister of State for Tribal Affairs at G.M.C Balayogi Stadium, Hyderabad
- The Minister also launched an app ‘EMRS Sports Meet’ dedicated on the occasion. The event has a participation of 1777 students comprising of 975 boys and 802 girls representing 20 States of the country.
- Government has decided to establish EMRS in every block with more than 50% or more tribal population and 20,000 or more tribal persons by the year 2022 thereby around 462 schools will be set up in addition to the 288 EMRSs already sanctioned.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
Fields Medal-Winning Mathematician Sir Michael Atiyah passed away
- Sir Michael Atiyah, a British mathematician who received the 1966 Fields Medal, also known as the ‘Nobel for Mathematics,’ passed away.
- Atiyah, who was based at Oxford and Cambridge, among several universities, during his career, is best known for his contribution to a branch of mathematics called topological K-theory and the Atiyah Singer index theorem.
Malayalam filmmaker Lenin Rajendran passed away
- Veteran filmmaker and chairman of Kerala State Film Development Corporation Lenin Rajendran passed away
- He won five Kerala state film awards in his career
- Lenin had begun his career as an assistant to director PA Backer. He directed his first film Venal in 1981.
- Weekly Current Affairs
- Monthly Current Affairs
- Daily Current Affairs in Hindi
- Daily Current Affairs Quiz
- Daily Current Affairs Quiz in Hindi