Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
World Haemophilia Day
- World Haemophilia Day is observed on 17 April every year to increase awareness about haemophilia disease and other inherited bleeding disorders.
- In 1989, World Haemophilia Day was started by the World Federation of Haemophilia (WFH) in honour of WFH founder Frank Schnavel’s birthday.
|Theme 2019||“Outreach and Identification”|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Google opens first Africa Artificial Intelligence lab in Ghana
- Tech giant Google is all set to exhibit itself as AI first company in front of the world by opening new research centers across the globe such as in Tokyo, Zurich, New York, and Paris.
- Following this idea, the company has opened its first center in Africa in Ghana capital city, Accra.
- Using Google’s AI machine app ‘Tensor Flow’, farmers analyze the issue with their plants and boost their production. Tensor Flow was outsourced by the company to help developers generate solutions to real-world problems.
|Ghana President||Nana Akufo-Addo|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
ADB committed $3 billion in sovereign loans to India in 2018
- ADB committed to provide USD 3 billion in sovereign loans to India in 2018, the highest level of assistance since sovereign operations began in the country in 1986.
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB), owned by 68 member countries, committed a total of USD 3.88 billion, including sovereign loans and co-financing during the year ended December 2018.
|Asian Development Bank (ADB)|
IDRBT sets up 5G Lab for banking, financial sector
- The Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT), an arm of Reserve Bank of India, has launched a 5G Use Cases Lab for banking and financial sector.
- The 5G technology, along with blockchain, will be progressively adopted by banks.
- 5G had already arrived in the world and the department had already launched test beds for 5G use in the academia in Hyderabad, Chennai and Bangalore to develop 5G for Indian use.
- It will also collaborate with various stakeholders including banks, government and financial institutions for 5G promotion and absorption of best practices.
IDBI Bank launches paperless account facility for NRIs
- The Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) living in nearly 40 countries will now be able to open account in IDBI Bank without submitting paper documents.
- IDBI Bank has launched ‘NRI-Insta-Online’ account opening process for NRIs residing in Financial Action Task Force (FATF) member countries.
- The person will not be required to furnish physical documents as well as KYC proofs for opening an account with the bank.
- FATF is an inter-governmental body which devices policy and sets standards to promote effective implementation of legal, regulatory and operational measures to combat money laundering, terrorist financing and other related threats to the integrity of the international financial system.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
Home Expo India 2019 begins in Greater Noida
- The 8th edition of Home Expo India 2019 began at India Expo Centre and Mart in Greater Noida.
- It covers sectors with maximum thrust and growth potential in home decor, furnishing, furniture, flooring and textiles.
- About 500 companies in permanent marts will be exhibiting their collection under these categories. The three-day exhibition has been organized by the Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts.
- Handicrafts exports during the year 2018-19 was to the tune of 26 thousand 590 crore rupees registering a growth of 15.46 per cent over the previous year.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Fincare Small Finance Bank Awarded the Celent Model Bank 2019 Award
- Fincare Small Finance Bank (SFB) has been awarded the prestigious Celent Model Bank 2019 Award in the category of Financial Inclusion, for ‘Redesigning Lending to Reach Small Businesses’.
- The award recognizes LAP (Loans Against Property) D.Lite, a tab-based solution designed and developed in-house by Fincare SFB for origination and instant underwriting of loans against property targeted at micro and small enterprises.
- Some of the other banks to receive the award in other categories include Bank of America, CIBC, Fidor Bank, HSBC, Rabobank, and Santander among others.
- Paytm Payments Bank, India has won the award under Beyond Banking category for its ‘Building a Truly Digital Bank for India’ initiative.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Punjab National Bank appoints Rajesh Yaduvanshi as Executive Director
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) has appointed Rajesh Kumar Yaduvanshi as the Executive Director of the bank.
- Yaduvanshi brings with him a diversified experience of over 3 decades in the banking industry, having held senior positions in the banking sector both in India and abroad.
- He has also worked with Dena Bank in capacity of the Executive Director.
|Punjab National Bank CEO||Sunil Mehta|
|Tagline||The name you can bank upon|
PwC appoints Padmaja Alaganandan as its new chief people officer
- PwC has named Padmaja Alaganandan as its new chief people officer. Alaganandan, who was leader-people and or ganisation at PwC earlier, takes over from Jagjit Singh.
- Alaganandan is also in the PwC’s India leadership team since January 2019.
Mithali Raj named goodwill ambassador at the Street Child Cricket World Cup
- Indian women’s cricket team captain Mithali Raj has been named the goodwill ambassador of Team India at the Street Child Cricket World Cup (SCCWC).
- She, alongside SauravGanguly and Rajasthan Royals, joins in supporting the team as they gear up for the final match at Lords, just ahead of the ICC Cricket World Cup in May this year
Redbusappoints Mahendra Singh Dhoni as brand ambassador
- Bus ticketing platform redBus announced that it has appointed cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni as its brand ambassador.
- Redbuswill reach out to its audience across the country through various media channels, both online and offline.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Commissioning of Off Shore Patrol Vessel (OPV) ICGS Veera
- Indian Coast Guard Ship Veera, the third in the series of 98 metre Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) was commissioned at Visakhapatnam by General BipinRawat in the presence of Director General Rajendra Singh, PTM, TM, Director General Indian Coast Guard and senior dignitaries of the central and state government.
- “Veera” meaning “Audacious Brave Courageous” is a projection of Indian Coast Guard’s will and commitment ‘To Serve and Protect’ the maritime interest of the nation.
- This is indigenously designed and built by Larsen & Toubro Ltd. at its shipbuilding facility at Kattupali in Chennai.
- The 98 metre long, 15 metre wide patrol vessel has a 3.6 metre draft and a range of 5,000 nautical miles. The vessel is fitted with a 30mm naval gun and will be fitted with 12.7mm Gun with FCS.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
ICC partners with UNICEF to deliver ‘One Day for Children’ at Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019
- ICC Cricket for Good, in partnership with UNICEF, announced ‘One Day for Children’ bringing together cricket’s one billion fans to help build a better world for every child.
- #OneDay4Children will use the power and reach of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019 to help children learn play and be healthy. The money raised will support UNICEF’s work for children in cricket playing nations across the world
- The campaign will conclude at the England v India game at Edgbaston on 30 June.
|ICC Headquarters||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Former Brazil football president Marin given life ban by FIFA
- Former Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) president Jose Maria Marin has been banned for life from all football activities by FIFA.
- He was found to have taken bribes in exchange for the media and marketing rights to various tournaments, including the Copa America.
- Marin, who has been informed of FIFA’s decision, has also been ordered to pay a CHF 1million fine (£760,000).
|FIFA Headquarters||Zurich, Switzerland|
/ 5. Reviews