Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : DAYS
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- International Day for the Eradication of Poverty celebrated every year on October 17
- The day promotes people’s awareness of the need to eradicate poverty and destitution worldwide, particularly in developing countries..
- The theme of this year is ‘Acting together to empower children, their families and communities to end poverty’.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : NATIONAL
CBIC launches programme to strengthen Make in India
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs has launched a revamped and streamlined programme to attract investments into India and strengthen Make in India through manufacture and other operations under bond scheme, of Customs Act, 1962.
- The scheme has been modernized with clear and transparent procedures, simplified compliance requirements ICT-based documentation and account keeping, by issue of Manufacture and Other Operations in Warehouse Regulations 2019.
- Under the scheme, the unit can import goods — both inputs and capital goods — under a customs duty deferment program. The duties are fully remitted if the processed goods are exported.
- CBIC has collaborated with Invest India to launch a dedicated microsite for providing information and promoting the scheme and for facilitation of investors. The site can be accessed at <https://www.investindia.gov.in/bonded-manufacturing>
Textiles Secretary Inaugurates Indian Handicrafts and Gifts Fair
- Textiles Secretary, Ravi Capoor, inaugurated the 48th edition of the Indian Handicrafts and Gifts Fair (IHGF) at the India Expo Centre & Mart at Greater Noida
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Theme of IHGF-Delhi Fair
- The IHGF-Delhi Fair 2019 will have knowledge seminars on various topics by expert faculties, fashion shows and ramp walks by models wearing fashion jewellery, accessories and utility items sourced from exhibitors at the Fair.
- Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH) is a nodal agency for promoting exports of handicrafts from the country to various destinations of the world and projecting India’s image abroad as a reliable supplier of high quality handicrafts goods and services
Indian Railways to become world first ‘net zero’ carbon emitter by 2030
- Railways and commerce minister PiyushGoyalannounced Indian Railways will become “net zero” carbon emitter by 2030.
- This is the part of India’s strategy to combat climate change
- India is the biggest emitter of greenhouse gases after the US and China, and is among countries most vulnerable to climate change.
- India has a rail network of around 125,000km, making it the world’s largest railway network under a single management
|Ministry of Railways & Ministry of Commerce and Industry|
Railway Minister PiyushGoyal Flags off 9 ‘Sewa Service’ Trains
- Railway Minister PiyushGoyal flagged off nine trains connecting small towns to major cities
- Nine “Sewa Service” trains were launched without any additional investment by the railways and it was an example of how to use existing resources to the maximum
- Of the nine “Sewa Service” trains, those between Delhi and Shamli, Bhubaneswar and Nayagarh town, Murkongselek and Dibrugarh and Coimbatore and Palani will run daily.
- The other trains from Vadnagar to Mehsana, Asarya to Himmatnagar, Karur to Salem, Yesvantpur to Tumkur and Coimbatore to Pollachiwill run six days a week.
- The flagging off of the Kota-Jhalawar City “Sewa Service” train has been postponed.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : STATE
Shirui Lily Festival inaugurated in Manipur
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism and Culture Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated Shirui Lily Festival, 2019 at ShiruiVangayan Ground of Ukhrul in Manipur.
- Mr Patel along with State Chief Minister N. Biren Singh inaugurated the Strength of Unity Statue as a mark of opening the third edition of the four-day state festival
- Shirui Lily is the rare, pink-white flower is only found in this area, and is also known as Siroy Lily, or LiliumMacklinae. Named after Jean Macklin, who supposedly spotted these flowers back in 1946
|Manipur CM||N Biren Singh|
CURRENT AFFAIRS : BANKING AND FINANCE
IMF slashes India’s GDP growth forecast to 6.1% from 7% for FY20
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) slashed India’s GDP growth projection for the year 2019 to 6.1 per cent, which is 1.2 per cent down from its April projections
- IMF, in its latest World Economic Outlook, projected that the Indian economy is expected to grow at 7.0 per cent in 2020.
- The World Bank in its latest edition of the South Asia Economic Focus said India’s growth rate is projected to fall to 6 per cent in 2019 from 6.9 per cent of 2018.
|International Monetary Fund (IMF)|
|IMFHeadquarters||Washington, D.C., United States|
CURRENT AFFAIRS : APPOINTMENTS
J.P.S. Chawla assumes charge as new Controller General of Accounts
- The Centre has appointed Mr Chawla, 1985-batch Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) Officer as the new Controller General of Accounts (CGA), Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure with effect from October 15 on regular basis
- He has worked for four years with the Public Sector Engineering Enterprise, Engineers India Limited (EIL), prior to joining the Civil Services. During his 34-year career he has held various cadre posts at different levels in a number of Ministries/Departments with PrasarBharti, Urban Development, Civil Aviation & Tourism and Agriculture to name a few.
- He has also served on deputation with the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) and served as Director (Finance) in the Indraprastha Power Generation Company Limited (IPGCL) and Pragati Power Limited (PPL).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Mastercard joins hands with MS Dhoni to build ‘Team Cashless India’
- Mastercard along with legendary cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni launched a nationwide initiative to accelerate the acceptance and adoption of digital payments.
- The iniative named ‘Team Cashless India’, the initiative brings consumers and merchants to the forefront of the digital payments dialogue.
- Mastercard will work together with the Confederation of All India Traders, acquirer banks and fin-tech companies to support nominated merchants to deploy digital payments acceptance infrastructure.
- To take part in ‘Team Cashless India’, anyone can either nominate merchants online or give a missed call at 9016861000.
IIT Madras to collaborate with ExxonMobil for research in Energy and Biofuels
- IIT Madras will collaborate with ExxonMobil on Research in Energy and Biofuels.
- The five-year joint-research agreement focuses on biofuels, data analytics, gas conversion and transport, and is intended towards finding low-emission solutions
- ExxonMobil has spent more than $9 billion since 2000, developing and deploying lower-emissions energy solutions.
- India is the 3rd highest producer of agro-residues globally with the surplus potential of over 230 million tonnes per year after China and Brazil
- The ‘new biofuel policy’ of Government of India targets to convert the country’s biofuel industry into a $15.6 billion economy
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING AND INDEX
India ranks 82 in World Giving Index
- India ranks 82 among the 128 countries in World Giving Index
- The survey was conducted by the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF), an international organisation that promotes giving to transform lives and communities across the world.
- USA stood at the top followed Myanmar, New Zealand and Australia.
- India at 82 on the index falls below Nepal (53), Pakistan (69), Mexico (73) and Brazil (74). At the bottom of the list are Yemen, Greece and China.
- The survey covered 1.3 million (13 lakh) people worldwide
HCL’s Shiv Nadar tops EdelGiveHurun India Philanthropy List 2019
- HCL founder and chairman Shiv Nadar has topped the EdelGiveHurun India Philanthropy List 2019 with the highest contribution of Rs. 826 crore between April 2018 and March 2019.
- The amount in philanthropy contributed by Indians in the list stands at Rs 4,391 crore with an average contribution of Rs 44 crore.
- The number of individuals who have contributed more than Rs 10 crore increased by around 90 percent, from last year’s 38 to 72 this year.
- Wipro founder AzimPremji was second with Rs 453 crore. Reliance Industries Chairman MukeshAmbani was third with Rs 402 crore
CURRENT AFFAIRS : BOOKS
Abhijit Banerjee & Esther Duflo’s new book ‘Good Economics for Hard Times – Better Answers to our Biggest Problems’ set to release in November
- Indian-American economists Abhijit Banerjee and his wife Esther Duflopenned a book together.
- The book titled ‘Good Economics for Hard Times – Better Answers to our Biggest Problems’, the book is set to release in November 2019
- Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo won the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences 2019 on October 14 “for their experimental approach to alleviating global poverty.”
CURRENT AFFAIRS : SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
First National Hindi Science writers conference inaugurated in Lucknow
- The first National Hindi Science writers conference started in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh with an aim to promote use of Hindi and other Vernacular languages in science writing.
- The conference being organised at Dr.Shakuntala Mishra National rehabilitation university was inaugurated by speaker of the state assembly HridayNarayain dixit.
- More than one thousand science writers from across the country are expected to take part in this conference which is aimed to bring all Hindi and vernacular language science writers at one platform and to promote Hindi in the field of science writing. A dedicated websiteWWW.VIGYANLEKHAN.COM has been prepared for this event
CURRENT AFFAIRS : DEFENCE
India, Japan joint Air Force exercise ‘ShinyuuMaitri’ begins in West Bengal
- The Indian Air Force will be carrying out a joint military exercise ‘ShinyuuMaitri’ with Japanese Air Self Defence Force (JASDF) from October 17 to 23.
- The exercise will be held at Air Force Station, Arjan Singh in Panagarh town in West Bengal.
- C-130 J aircraft of the Special Operations Squadron of IAF and C-130 H of Tactical Airlift Squadron of JASDF will participate in the exercise
- The focus of the exercise will be to undertake Joint Mobility and Tactical interoperability among the two forces.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Zimbabwe and Nepal readmitted as ICC members
- Zimbabwe has been reinstated as a member of the ICC, three months after being suspended for government interference in its board.
- The sanction on Zimbabwe was lifted at the ICC’s October board meetingheld in Dubai
- Nepal has also been reinstated as ICC members, although on a conditional basis. They were suspended in 2016 for breach of ICC regulations that prohibit government interference while also requiring ‘free and fair elections’.
|ICC Headquarters||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
|ICC CEO||Manu Sawhney|
PriyanshuRajawatwins men’s singles title at Bahrain International Series
- Indian shuttlerPriyanshuRajawat claimed the men’s singles title at the Bahrain International Series Badminton at Isa Town.
- Seventeen year old Rajawat beat top-seed Jason Anthony Ho-Shue from Canada in the finals 16-21, 21-7, 21-12 in the summit clash.
- Top-seeded Indian mixed double pair of JuhiDewangan and VenkatGaurav Prasad also finished at the top. They defeated Thailand’s PannawatTheerapanitnun and KanyanatSudchoeichom 21-18, 21-16 in 34 minutes to bag the gold medal.
Indian women’s football team clinches SAFF U-15 title
- India beat Bangladesh 5-3 on penalty shoot-out to win the SAFF U-15 Women’s Championship title
- Final of the SAFF U-15 Women’s Championship held at the Chalimithang Stadium in Thimphu, Bhutan