Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : NATIONAL
Livestock population in India rises 4.6 per cent to nearly 536 million
- The Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying released the 20th Livestock Census -2019showed that showed that the livestock population increased by 4.6 per cent, from 512.06 million in 2012. to over 535 million in 2019
- Total Bovine population (Cattle, Buffalo, Mithun and Yak) is 302.79 Million in 2019 which shows an increase of about 1% over the previous census.
- The total number of cattle in the country in 2019 is 192.49 million showing an increase of 0.8 % over previous Census.
- The Female Cattle (Cows population) is 145.12 million, increased by 18.0% over the previous census (2012).
- The total buffaloes in the country is 109.85 million showing an increase of about 1.0% over previous Census.
- The total milchanimals (in-milk and dry) in cows and buffaloes is 125.34 million, an increase of 6.0 % over the previous census.
- The total sheep in the country is 74.26 million in 2019, increased by 14.1% over previous Census.
- The Goat population in the country in 2019 is 148.88 million showing an increase of 10.1% over the previous census.
- The total Pigs in the country is 9.06 Million in the current Census, declined by 12.03% over the previous Census.
- The other livestock including mithun, yak, horses, ponies, mule, donkeys, camel together contribute around 0.23% of the total livestock and their total count is 1.24 million.
- The total poultry in the country is 851.81 million in 2019, registered an increase of 16.8% in the total poultry.
- The total birds in the backyard poultry in the country is 317.07 million. The backyard poultry has increased by around 46% as compared to previous Census.
- The total Commercial Poultry in the country is 534.74 million in 2019, increased by 4.5% over previous Census.
- As per the livestock census, the share of cattle is around 36 per cent, goat is over 27 per cent, buffaloes is over 20 per cent, sheep around 14 per cent and pigs around two per cent.
- Among the States, Uttar Pradesh has the highest number of livestock of 67.8 million (68.7 million in 2012), followed by Rajasthan 56.8 million (57.7 million), Madhya Pradesh: 40.6 million (36.3 million) and West Bengal: 37.4 million (30.3 million).
- Among the states, West Bengal reported the highest increase of over 23 per cent in livestock population, followed by Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar and Madhya Pradesh.
- The livestock census is conducted across the country periodically since 1919. The census usually covers all domesticated animals and headcounts of these animals are taken. The 20th Livestock Census was carried out in about 6.6 lakh villages and 89 thousand urban wards across the country.
|Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Welfare|
|Union Minister||Narendra Singh Tomar|
|Constituency||Morena, Madhya Pradesh|
Commemorative stamp on centenary of NIN released
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Harsh Vardhan released a postal stamp to commemorate the centenary celebrations of the city-based ICMR-National Institute of Nutrition (NIN) at a function held at Indian Council of Medical Research in New Delhi
- ICMR Director BalramBhragava and NIN Director R. Hemaltha were present on the occasion.
- The postal stamp has been brought out under the ‘Corporate My Stamp’ scheme of India Posts.
- About 5,000 stamps with a face value of ₹5 each have been printed and the India Posts would print an additional 1,000 sheets for sale online at e-post office and for display and sale at national and global philately exhibitions by the Department.
- A one-time award instituted to commemorate NIN’s centenary called the ‘ICMR-NIN-Centenary Award’ was also conferred on C. Gopalan,
CURRENT AFFAIRS : INTERNATIONAL
Italy to introduce web tax on digital giants from 2020
- Italy approved a new tax on digital companies, including U.S. tech giants, as part of its 2020 draft budget
- The levy, due to be introduced from next year, will oblige companies such as Facebook (FB.O), Google (GOOGL.O) and Amazon (AMZN.O), to pay a 3% levy on internet transactions
- The Italian scheme is expected to yield about 600 million euros ($662 million) a year,
- Italy’s plan is broadly in line with proposals from the OECD, which last week urged governments to redraw rules for taxing global giants.
|Italy Prime Minister||Giuseppe Conte|
UAE announces establishment of 1st graduate-level, research-based AI university in world
- UAE announced the establishment of the Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence( MBZUAI), the first graduate-level, research-based AI university in the world.
- MBZUAI will enable graduate students, businesses and governments to advance the artificial intelligence field.
The University is named after Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces
- MBZUAI will introduce a new model of academia and research to the field of AI, providing students and faculty access to some of the world’s most advanced AI systems to unleash its potential for economic and societal development.
|UAE Capital||Abu Dhabi|
|UAE PM||Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashed al-Maktoum|
CURRENT AFFAIRS : STATE
Odisha’s first Robot Restaurant opens in Bhubaneswar
- The Robot Restaurant opened at the Infocity DLF tower of Bhubaneswar claims to be the first restaurant in Eastern India where two indigenously developed robots, ‘Champa’ and ‘Chameli’ are engaged.
- Earlier Chennai and Bengaluru had introduced smart restraunts with robots machines imported from China.
- The robots are developed at a Jaipur-based start-up using SLAM (short for Simultaneous Localization And Mapping) technology, and It automatically navigates like humans, follows the routes and instructions. Not only this, after serving the food, the robots will also ask you for feedback in Odia that ‘Are you happy’,
- It has 17 kinds of censors that sense the environment, heat, even smoke, identify persons, greet and welcome people
|Odisha CM||Naveen Patnaik|
CM Kamal Nath inaugurates ‘Magnificent Madhya Pradesh’
- Chief Minister Kamal Nath inaugurated the “Magnificent Madhya Pradesh” with the aim to promote investments in the state
- Over 900 business representatives are participating in the event organised at the Brilliant Convention Centre, Indore
- Chief Minister Kamal Nath also inaugurated the Global Trade Exhibition at the Brilliant Convention Centre, Indore.
|Madhya Pradesh Capital||Bhopal|
|Madhya Pradesh CM||Kamal Nath|
|Madhya Pradesh Governor||LalJiTandon|
CURRENT AFFAIRS : BUSINESS
Reliance Industries becomes first Indian firm to cross Rs 9 lakh crore market capitalisation
- MukeshAmbani-led Reliance Industries became the first firm in India to cross the Rs 9-lakh crore market capitalisation mark
- The conglomerate was also the first to reach Rs 8 lakh crore market cap mark in August last year.
- IT giant TCS, which has seen some selling lately, was at a distant second with a market-cap of Rs 7.66 lakh crore. It was the second company to reach the Rs 8 lakh croremark.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : APPOINTMENTS
Anup Kumar Singh appointed as Director-General of NSG
- Senior IPS officer of Gujarat cadre Anup Kumar Singh has been appointed as Director-General of the National Security Guard (NSG)
- Singh, a 1985-batch IPS officer, as the DG of the ‘black cats commando’ force was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) led by Prime Minister NarendraModi
- His appointment will be from the date of joining the post and up to 30th of September, 2020.
- The NSG is a counter-terrorism unit under the Ministry of Home Affairs. It was raised in 1984.
SudhakerShukla appointed as whole-time member of IBBI
- SudhakerShuklawas appointed as Whole-Time Member, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) for a period of 05 years or upto the age of 65 years.
|Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI)|
|IBBIChairman||M. S. Sahoo|
CURRENT AFFAIRS : MOU
Home Credit India ties up with KarurVysya Bank for joint lending
- Home Credit India (HCIN)has tied up with KarurVysya Bank (KVB) for a joint lending initiative in the unsecured lending space
- Under the agreement, HCIN and KVB will disburse loans in a single amount to customers
- Home Credit India Finance Pvt. Ltd. is a local arm of the international consumer finance provider with operations spanning over Europe and Asia and committed to drive financial inclusion in India.
- Home Credit India has operations spread over 179 cities across 20 States in India.
|KVB CEO||P. R. Seshadri|
|KVB Headquarters||Karur, Tamil Nadu|
|KVB Tagline||Smart Way to Bank|
CURRENT AFFAIRS : RANKING AND INDEX
NITI Aayog launched India Innovation Index 2019
- NITI Aayog with Institute for Competitivenessas the knowledge partner released the India Innovation Index (III) 2019
- The India Innovation Index 2019, developed on the lines of Global Innovation Index (GII), looks into the innovation ecosystem of Indian states and union territories to help policymakers design policies to drive innovation across regions.
- Karnataka (1st), Tamil Nadu (2nd), Maharashtra(3rd), Telangana(4th) and Haryana(5th) have been ranked as top five states in innovation in NITI Aayog’s first Innovation Index
- Chhattisgarh (15th), Bihar (16th) and Jharkhand (17th) are at the bottom of the index among states.
- Among north-eastern& Hill states, Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand have top the index
- While Delhi, Chandigarh and Goa have topped the list among union territories in the countries.
- Delhi, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, andUttar Pradesh are the most efficient states in translating inputs into output.
- The index is based on seven pillars which include five enablers and two performance indicators
- The Enablers are the factors that underpin innovative capacities, grouped in five pillars: (1) Human Capital, (2) Investment, (3) Knowledge Workers, (4) Business Environment, and (5) Safety and Legal Environment.
- The Performance dimension captures benefits that a nation derives from the inputs, divided in two pillars: (6) Knowledge Output and (7) Knowledge Diffusion.
|NITI Aayog (National Institution for Transforming India)|
|NITI AayogCEO||Amitabh Kant|
|NITI AayogVice Chairman||Rajiv Kumar|
CURRENT AFFAIRS : SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
India to host 91st Interpol General Assembly in 2022
- India will host the 91st Interpol General Assembly in 2022 as part of celebrations of the 75th anniversary of Indian Independence.
- The general assembly of Interpol is an annual exercise hosted by member countries. All major decisions affecting general policy, the resources needed for international cooperation, working methods and finances are deliberated and discussed by representatives
- The International Criminal Police Organisation (Interpol) had hosted the general assembly, where representatives of all member countries converge, in India in 1997.
- Interpol is an international organization with 194 member states and 100 years of experience of international cooperation in policing
|Interpol Headquarters||Lyon, France|
|Interpol President||Kim Jong Yang|
Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurates 11th Nuclear Energy Conclave
- The Union Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region (I/C), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated the 11th Nuclear Energy Conclave in New Delhi
- Theme of the Conclave: “Economics of Nuclear Power- Innovation towards Safer & Cost Effective Technologies
- The Government has taken various steps to promote the scientific temper in the country, specially in the Department of Atomic Energy and Space.
- Atomic power plants were restricted in Southern India, now the Government is setting up the nuclear plants in other parts of the country. A nuclear plant is coming up in the Gorakhpur of Haryana,
- To educate the students and general public about the applications of nuclear energy, a “Hall of Nuclear Energy” was opened in PragatiMaidan in Delhi
CURRENT AFFAIRS : DEFENCE
India, Oman Begin Joint Training Exercise ‘EX EASTERN BRIDGE-V’
- Indian Air Force (IAF) kickstarted its bilateral joint exercise with Royal Air Force Oman (RAFO), named ‘EX EASTERN BRIDGE-V’ at Air Force Base Masirah.
- The IAF contingent comprises of Mig 29 UPG (upgrade) combat aircraft along with C-17 Globemaster transport aircraft.
- The Royal Air Force of Oman will be fielding Eurofighter Typhoon, F-16 and Hawk 200 combat aircraft in the exercise.
- For the first time, MiG-29 fighter aircraft will be participating in an international exercise outside India
- The last exercise, EX-EASTERN BRIDGE-IV was held in 2017 at Jamnagar, Gujarat
|Oman Currency||Omani rial|
|Oman Prime Minister||Qaboos bin Said al Said|
Defence of Andaman and Nicobar Islands exercise 2019 (Danx-19)
- Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) has conducted the second edition of Defence of Andaman & Nicobar Islands 2019 (DANX-19), a large scale joint services exercise from 14 Oct to 18 Oct 19.
- Components of the Indian Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard carried out mobilisation and field manoeuvres to validate defensive plans of Headquarters ANC towards pursuance of the Command’s responsibility, namely ensuring territorial integrity of the A&N Islands.
- In addition to internal forces from ANC, accretional forces from Mainland comprising ships and aircraft, Special Forces from the newly formed Armed Forces Special Operations Division (AFSOD), also participated in this edition.
Indian Army Launches Software OASIS to digitise recordsof the Army officers
- Army has launched a new software “Officers Automated Structured Information System” (Oasis) which has started digitising the records of the Army officers. The new software is hosted on Army’s intranet and can be accessed by the Army officers to check their details
- Before the roll out of the Oasis the records were manually preserved by Manpower Planning Directorate and the whole process of collecting the records, checking the records and keeping a track was very cumbersome.
- On the retirement of the officer, the whole data will migrate from Oasis to Retired Officers Digital Records Archive (RODRA) which holds the pension details of the retired Army officers.
- Oasis will also integrate with other department of the Army and will allow officers to access their salary slips and other details.
- Manpower Planning (MP) Directorate, is responsible for custody and maintenance of approximately 1.2 lakh service records of serving and retired officers of the Indian Army.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : BOOKS
ViswanathanAnand Pens Special Book Titled ‘Mind Master: Winning Lessons from a Champion’s Life’
- Indian Chess player, ViswanathanAnand has penned a new book titled “Mind Master: Winning Lessons from a Champion’s Life”.The book, published by Hachette
- In this book he revisits his greatest games and worst losses, his unique experiences of playing against the best minds, and the methods he employs to prepare for wins, cope with disappointments and, simply, stay in the game.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Lionel Messi wins sixth Golden Shoe award
- Barcelona captain Leo Messi received his sixth Golden Shoe as the top scorer in the European leagues
- Messi won the trophy for a third straight year after scoring 36 goals, three more than his closest challenger, KylianMbappe of Paris Saint-Germain
- Messi now has two more Golden Shoes than his great rival Cristiano Ronaldo. Luis Suarez is one of nine players on two. The award was created in 1967
England all-rounder Jenny Gunn announces retirement from international cricket
- England all-rounder Jenny Gunn has announced her retirement from international cricket.
- Gunn, who is England’s most capped player in T20Is, made 259 appearances for her country, winning three World Cups and five Ashes series.
- Gunn was a member of the England side that won the inaugural Women’s World T20 in 2009, and also featured in her country’s Women’s World Cup-winning campaign that same year.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : OBITUARIES
Renowned painter KalidasKarmakar passed away
- Internationally acclaimed painter of Bangladesh KalidasKarmakar passed away in Dhaka
- He was born on January 10, 1946, in Faridpurdistrict, he completed his graduation from the Government College of Fine Arts and Crafts in Kolkata in 1969.
- Kalidas was awarded ShilpakalaPadak in 2016 and the EkusheyPadak in 2018 by the Government of Bangladesh for his contribution to fine arts.
Cuba’s ballet legend Alicia Alonso passed away
- Legendary ballet dancer Alicia Alonso has passed away
- She founded the Alicia Alonso Ballet Company in Cuba’s capital
- By the late 1940s, she had performed major roles, particularly Giselle, in both New York and London.