Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
National Girl Child Day being observed on January 24
- National Girl Child Day is being observed on January 24
- The Women and Child Development Ministry has organised an event in Delhi to observe the anniversary of ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ scheme. Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi will be the Chief Guest.
- “Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in January 2015 at Panipat in Haryana.
- Seeing the good progress and improving trend of sex ratio at birth in 161 implementing districts, Mr Modi launched the all India expansion of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao covering all 640 districts last year.
- The scheme is a comprehensive programme to address the declining child sex ratio and related issues of empowerment of women.
|Theme 2019||‘Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow’|
Uttar Pradesh celebrates 69th foundation day on January 24
- Uttar Pradesh is celebrating 69th foundation day on January 24.
- To celebrate the occasion the main function was organised at AwadhShilp Gram in Lucknow.
- Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik and Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath along with members of state cabinet grace the occasion.
- Uttar Pradesh was earlier known as United Province but through a Gazette notification, it got its name of Uttar Pradesh on January 24, 1950.
|Uttar Pradesh Capital||Lucknow, Allahabad (Judiciary)|
|Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister||Yogi Adityanath|
|Uttar Pradesh Governor||Ram Naik|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Ayush Minister ShripadNaik inaugurates 2nd World Integrated Medicine Forum 2019
- Minister of State for AyushShripadNaik inaugurated the 2nd World Integrated Medicine Forum 2019 in Panaji, Goa.
- The central government is committed to promoting all disciplines under Ayush including homoeopathy.
- Around 150 delegates from 21 countries are participating in the event.
|Theme of the forum||Regulation of Homeopathic Medical Products; Advancing Global Collaboration|
|Union Minister of State in the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy||ShripadNaik|
Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba commissions new Naval Air Base INS Kohassa
- Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba commissioned the new Naval Air Base ‘INS Kohassa’ at Diglipur in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The new Naval Air Base will enhance our maritime capability along with keeping the northern part of Andaman sea and the area under surveillance.
- Commander-in-Chief, Andaman & Nicobar Command (CINCAN) Vice Admiral Bimal Verma was also present on the occasion.
- The new airbase, named ‘INS Kohassa’ at Diglipur, will be used to handle operations of helicopters and small aircraft like the Dornier.
- The airport at Diglipur will be utilised for both Defence and civil aircraft.
|Chief of the Naval Staff||Admiral Sunil Lanba|
|Vice Chief of the Naval Staff||Admiral Ajit Kumar|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: CABINET APPROVALS
Cabinet approves the creation of National Bench of GSTAT
- The Union Cabinet approved the creation of the National Bench of the Goods and Services Tax Appellate Tribunal.
- It will be presided over by the President and shall consist of one technical member (Centre) and one technical member (State). The National bench would be set up in New Delhi.
- It also approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Kuwait for the cooperation on recruitment of domestic workers.
- Over 3 lakh Indian domestic workers, of which 90,000 are women, in Kuwait would to be benefited by the move.
- The Cabinet also gave its nod for the extension of Delhi metro corridor from Dilshad Garden to New Bus Adda, Ghaziabad. The total distance of the extended line would be 9.41 km.
Cabinet approves signing of MoU between India and Kuwait on recruitment of domestic workers
- Union Cabinet has approved the signing of Memorandum of Understanding between India and Kuwait for cooperation on the recruitment of domestic workers.
- It provides a framework for cooperation on matters related to domestic workers deployed in Kuwait and provides safeguards for them.
- The MoU is initially valid for a period of five years and incorporates provision for automatic renewal. Around three lakh Indian domestic workers deployed in Kuwait will benefit from the decision.
|Kuwait Capital||Kuwait City|
|Kuwait Emir||Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Piyush Goyal has been named as interim Finance Minister
- Piyush Goyal has been named the interim Finance Minister and interim Minister of Corporate Affairs during Arun Jaitley’s indisposition.
- Goyal will retain his existing portfolios of coal and railways.
- Jaitley will be designated as a minister without a portfolio during his period of indisposition.
- Goyal was earlier given additional charge of the Finance Ministry in May 2018 for a period of three months when Jaitley underwent a kidney transplant at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
Ravneet Gill is new MD and CEO of Yes Bank
- Private sector lender Yes Bank announced the appointment of Ravneet Gill as its new Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) with effect from March 1, 2019.
- Gill, who will be taking the reins from the lender’s founder MD and CEO RanaKapoor, is the CEO of Deutsche Bank’s India operations.
- “The Bank has received RBI approval for its new MD and CEO, Mr.Ravneet Singh Gill for him to join on or before March 1, 2019. The Board will convene on January 29, 2019 to finalise the interim transition.”
- Kapoor is set to step down after January 31, 2019.
|Yes Bank Headquarters||Mumbai|
|Yes Bank MD and CEO||Ravneet Gill|
|Yes Bank Tagline||Experience our Expertise|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
JNPT becomes India’s only port to be ranked among world’s top 30
- The Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) has become India’s only port to get listed among the top 30 global container ports.
- “The JNPT, India’s premiere container port got listed amongst the top 30 container ports globally, as per the latest Lloyds Report.
- JNPT notched up five spots, to be 28th on the list, compared to its previous ranking.
- This is a validation of all the efforts and strategic initiatives being implemented at JNPT in order to enhance overall port efficiency
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Shikhar Dhawan becomes second quickest Indian to 5000 ODI runs
- India’s opening batsman Shikhar Dhawan became the second fastest Indian to 5000 ODI runs in the first ODI between India and New Zealand at McLean Park in Napier.
- He also became the fifth fastest overall while joining legendary left-hander Brian Lara in the list. Dhawan surpassed the likes of Sourav Ganguly and Graeme Smith while matching Lara to become the joint-fastest left-handed batsman.
- Earlier, Dhawan had become the second fastest Indian, behind Kohli, and sixth quickest overall to reach 4000 ODI runs during an ODI series at home against Sri Lanka in 2017.
- Dhawan had brought up 4000 runs in the 94th innings of his ODI career.
Former Union minister, ex-Goa Governor Bhanu Prakash Singh passes way
- Former Union minister, ex-Goa Governor and head of the Narsinghgarh royal family, Bhanu Prakash Singh passed away.He was 90.
- He was elected as an MP from Rajgarh Lok Sabha seat in 1962 as an independent candidate.
- Singh later became close to former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and joined the Congress in 1964. He became a minister in her cabinet.
- In 1991, he became the Governor of Goa.