Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
Epilepsy Awareness Day
- Epilepsy Awareness Day is observed annually on March 26th. The day has become known as ‘Purple Day’ as people are encouraged to wear the color to increase awareness of Epilepsy.
- Nearly 50 million people in the world are having Epilepsy as per the World Health Organization (WHO) which does not have a known cause.
World Theatre Day
- World Theatre Day is celebrated on 27 March annually across the world since 1962 to raise the importance of the art form ‘theatre’ and to act as a wakeup call for governments, politicians and institutions which have not yet recognised its value to the people and also have not realised its potential for economic growth
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
India achieves 84 % reduction in TB deaths among HIV patients: UN
- India has achieved an 84 per cent reduction in tuberculosis deaths among people living with HIV by 2017.
- According to the Joint United Nations Programme on the UNAIDS, it is the highest recorded decline among over 20 nations and it is also three years ahead of the 2020 deadline.
- UNAIDS is urging countries to step up action to meet the 2020 target of reducing TB deaths among people living with HIV by 75 per cent, as outlined in the 2016 United Nations Political Declaration on Ending AIDS.
- India achieved the highest reduction at 84 per cent, followed by Eritrea (83 per cent, Djibouti (78 per cent) and Malawi (78 per cent)
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Pakistan approves proposal to establish Sharada Peeth corridor
- ThePakistan government has approved a proposal to establish Sharada Peeth corridor that will allow pilgrims from India to visit the ancient Hindu temple in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (Pok).
- Sharda Peeth corridor, when opened, will be second religious tract after Kartarpur corridor (for Sikh pilgrims) in Pakistan-controlled territory that will connect the two neighbouring nations.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Yarn bank set up to help weavers in Karnataka
- A yarn bank has been set up at the Mysore Powerloom Silk Manufacturers Cooperative Society to benefit the state’s weavers.
- The bank, with aid from the Centre, will supply pure silk yarn and zari to weavers who subscribe. Currently, the weavers have to source yarn locally through agents and wholesalers.
|Governor||Vajubai Rudubai Wala|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
BoB inks MoUs with 6 firms to develop agri-digital platform ‘Baroda Kisan’
- Public sector lender Bank of Baroda will develop an agri-digital platform called ‘Baroda Kisan’ in order to provide solutions for all major agricultural requirements.
- Six companies – Skymet Weather Services, Weather Risk Management Services, BigHaat, Agrostar India, EM3 Agri Services and Poorti Agri Services — have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the bank for this project.
- The agri-digital platform will be executed byIT Centre of Excellence (ITCoE) of Bank of Baroda in partnership with IBM India.
- The platform aims to solve agricultural plights by providing reliable and customized information, inputs for use, the convenience of renting farm equipment, and market linkage for sale of agriculture produce.
|Bank of Baroda CEO||P. S. Jayakumar|
|Bank of Baroda Headquarters||Vadodara|
|Bank of Baroda Tagline||India’s International Bank|
RBI slaps Rs. 2 crore penalty on PNB
- The Reserve Bank of India has slapped a penalty of Rs. 2 crore on Punjab National Bank for non-compliance of regulatory directions with regard to SWIFT operations.
- SWIFT is a global messaging software used for sharing information on inter-bank transactions by financial entities.
- Earlier this year, the Reserve Bank had imposed penalties worth 71 crore rupees on 36 public, private and foreign banks for non-compliance with various directions on time-bound implementation and strengthening of SWIFT operations
|RBI Governor||Shaktikant Das|
RBI Deputy Governor
|BP Kanungo, N S Vishwanathan, Viral Acharya and Mahesh Kumar Jain|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
President Kovind receives Croatia’s highest civilian award
- President Ram Nath Kovind was honoured with Croatia’s highest civilian award – the Grand Order of the King of Tomislav.
- Kovind is in the European country as part of his eight-day three-nation visit to Croatia, Bolivia and Chile to further strengthen bilateral ties between India and the three countries.
- The civilian order is awarded to heads of state for their important contribution towards the development of state relations between Croatia and their respective countries.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Karur Vysya Bank appoints N S Srinath as non executive chairman
- Karur Vysya Bank has appointed N S Srinath as non-executive chairman for a period of three years.
- He was the non-executive independent director on the board of the private sector lender.
- Srinath had earlier served as an executive director on the board of Bank of Baroda and superannuated on May 31, 2012.
|Karur Vysya Bank MD & CEO||P. R. Seshadri|
|Headquarters||Karur, Tamil Nadu|
|Tagline||Smart Way to Bank|
Comoros President Azali Assoumani re-elected
- The Comoros election body declared President Azali Assoumani re-elected in a single round after an election the opposition rejected as fraudulent.
- Assoumani had won 60.77 percent. The runner up, Ahamada Mahamoudou, one of 12 opposition candidates, received 14.62 percent.
- The Comoros is a volcanic archipelago off Africa’s east coast, in the warm Indian Ocean waters of the Mozambique Channel.
Shambhu S. Kumaran appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Morocco
- Shri Shambhu S. Kumaran has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Morocco.
- Kumaran, a 1995 batch of Indian Foreign Service officer, presently working as Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Defence
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
India-Australia Naval Exercise AUSINDEX 2019 to be held in April 2019
- India and Australia will conduct AUSINDEX 2019 bilateral naval exercise off the coast of Vishakhapatnam in Bay of Bengal from April 2 to 16, 2019.
- Overall it will be third installment (edition) of bilateral naval exercise between Indian Navy and Royal Australian Navy.
- It will see participation of over 1,000 Australian defence personnel, four Royal Australian Navy ships.It includes HMAS (Her Majesty’s Australian Ship) Canberra, HMAS Success, HMAS Newcastle, and HMAS Parramatta.
- Both countries will also deploy P-8I aircraft and P-8A aircraft, which are long-range anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircrafts capable of broad-area, maritime and littoral operations.
First Indian Army mountaineering expedition to Mt Makalu flagged off
- First Indian Army Mountaineering Expedition to Mt Makalu (8485m) comprising five Officers, two JCOs and eleven OR was flagged off by Director General Military Training
- In furtherance of the objective of summiting all challenging peaks above 8000M, Indian Army is launching its maiden expedition to Mt Makalu in Mar-May 2019.
- Mt Makalu is considered amongst the most dangerous peaks and summiting the peak is considered extremely challenging due to inclement weather conditions and freezing temperatures.
- Makalu is the fifth highest mountain in the world at 8,485 metres (27,838 ft). It is located in the Mahalangur Himalayas 19 km southeast of Mount Everest.
Tata Power SED bags Rs 1,200 crore contract from defence ministry
- Tata Power Strategic Engineering Division (SED) has bagged a Rs. 1,200 crore contract from the defence ministry
- Tata Power SED has signed a deal with the Ministry of Defence to supply 23 ship-borne 3D Air Surveillance Radars to the Indian Navy over the next 10 years,
- The contract was signed under the Buy & Make (India) category of the Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) 2013
- The contract will be executed by Tata Power SED as the prime contractor with foreign OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) partner Indra Sistemas, Spain.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Apple partners with Goldman Sachs and Mastercard for Apple Card
- Apple card is a virtual credit card that can be integrated into the Wallet app of the iPhone.
- The company has partnered with Goldman Sachs and Mastercard for payment handling and processing.
- The idea behind the launch of this new service is to replace the traditional credit card with a new, smarter and secure payment method across online and offline stores.
- There is also a physical titanium credit card which does not have any other information apart from the Apple Logo and the card holder’s name below it. This also means that there is no CVV, credit card number, expiration date, and signature that are usually found on traditional cards.
- All this information is stored in a special security chip used by Apple Pay called Secure Element.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
UFC star Conor McGregor announces retirement from MMA
- IrishMixed Martial Art (MMA) fighter Conor McGregor has announced his retirement from the sport.
- He is the former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight and lightweight champion.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Social activist Ghulam Nabi Rather passed away
- Ghulam Nabi Rathar of Manigam Kangan, a social activist, passed away
- He was a retired horticultural officer, ex-chairman of Shaheen Public High School Mamigam and owner of Alamdar Public school Wussan Kangan.
Bangladeshi singer Shahnaz Rahmatullah passed away
- Eminent singer Shahnaz Rahmatullah, also known as Shahnaz Begum, has passed away
- Shahnaz Begum emerged as a notable singer in Dhaka during the mid-1960s, In the late 1960s and early 70s, she sang the memorable national song, Sohni Dharti Allah Rakhey, in addition to Jeevay Pakistan
- She was awarded Ekushey Padak award in 1992, National Film Award for best female playback singer for a movie, Chhutir Phande, in 1990, Bangladesh Shilpakala Award.