Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
International Day of Solidarity with Palestinian People
- The General Assembly in 1977 by the adoption of resolution 32/40 B declared 29 November as the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People.
- On this day, the Assembly adopted resolution 181 (II) on the partition of Palestine in 1947. It is also known as Partition Resolution.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
India gifts 2 electric vehicles to Pashupati Temple Trust to help elderly pilgrims
- The government gifted two electric vehicles to Pashupati Area Development Trust (PADT) in Nepal to help elderly pilgrims and differently-abled visiting the holy temple.
- After handing over the eco-friendly vehicles, manufactured by India’s Gayam Motor Works, Namrita Puri, president of Indian Women’s Association (IWA) in Kathmandu said that the vehicles will also create employment opportunities for two women.
- It provides a forum for the interaction with Nepali women and works to promote goodwill and friendship between the Indian and Nepali community.
- The two 8 seater electric vehicles with high-end Lithium-ion batteries were handed over to Pradip Dhakal, Member-Secretary of the PADT.
- The PADT is established to conserve and operate the Pashupatinath Temple and adjoining Area, which is enlisted as UNESCO’s World Heritage Site.
Ministry of Shipping approves Loktak Inland Waterways Project
- The Ministry of Shipping gave approval for the development of Loktak Inland Waterways Improvement Project in Manipur under the Central Sector scheme.
- The estimated cost of the project is Rs 25.58 crore. The Loktak Lake is the largest freshwater lake in the Northeast located at Moirang in Manipur.
- The project will develop the inland water transport connectivity in the Northeast States and give a boost to the tourism sector also.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
NIFTEM to conduct National Organic Festival of Women Entrepreneurs
- Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) and Ministry of Women and Child Development (MoWCD) signed a Memorandum of Understanding to organise to organise “National Organic Festival of Women Entrepreneurs”.
- The event will be planned and organized through NIFTEM, Kundli, Sonepat, Haryana which is an academic institution under the administrative control of Ministry of Food Processing Industries, Government of India.
- The festival aims to encourage Indian women entrepreneurs and farmers to connect with buyers and thus, empower them through financial inclusion, while also promoting organic food produce in India.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
RBI Announces Revised Framework On Currency Swap Arrangement For SAARC Countries
- The Reserve Bank of India, with the concurrence of the Government of India, has decided to put in place a revised Framework on Currency Swap Arrangement for SAARC countries 2019-2022, to further financial stability and economic cooperation within the SAARC region.
- The Framework is valid from November 14, 2019 to November 13, 2022. Based on the terms and conditions of the Framework, the RBI would enter into bilateral swap agreements with SAARC central banks, who want to avail swap facility.
- The SAARC Currency Swap Facility came into operation on November 15, 2012 with an intention to provide a backstop line of funding for short term foreign exchange liquidity requirements or balance of payment crises till longer term arrangements are made.
- Under the Framework for 2019-22, RBI will continue to offer swap arrangement within the overall corpus of US $ Two billion.
- The drawals can be made in US Dollar, Euro or Indian Rupee. The Framework provides certain concessions for swap drawals in Indian Rupee.
- The Currency Swap Facility will be available to all SAARC member countries, subject to their signing the bilateral swap agreements.
ADB clears $250-mn loan to help EESL expand energy efficiency investments
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a loan of USD 250 million (about Rs 1,775 crore) as part of an assistance package to EESL to expand energy efficiency investments in India.
- Activities to be undertaken by the Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) in eligible states include energy efficiency opportunities not targeted by traditional energy service company investments, such as smart meters, distributed solar photovoltaic systems, and e-vehicles.
- The total cost of the project is USD 592 million, of which the Clean Technology Fund will provide USD 46 million to be administered by ADB, and the EESL will contribute USD 296 million.
- Accompanying the loan will be a technical assistance (TA) of USD 2 million to support EESL in implementing the project, due for completion in March 2025.
ADB, India Sign $451 Million Loan To Strengthen Power Connectivity In Tamil Nadu
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $451 million loan to strengthen power connectivity between the southern and northern parts of the Chennai-Kanyakumari Industrial Corridor (CKIC), which is part of the East Coast Economic Corridor (ECEC), in Tamil Nadu. ADB is the lead partner of the Government of India for developing ECEC.
- The project is expected to help Government of Tamil Nadu meet the increasing demand for power supply from industry and commercial enterprises in the State through transfer of power from new generation facilities, including renewable energy, in the southern CKIC to the industrial hubs in the state’s northern region.
- The state is aiming to develop the northern Chennai-Tiruchirappalli area of CKIC as a manufacturing center while targeting the relatively poor southern Madurai-Thoothukudi portion for the development of renewable energy-based power generation because of the availability of wind and solar resources.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Uddhav Thackeray sworn in as Maharashtra Chief Minister
- Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray was sworn in as the 18th chief minister of Maharashtra.
- Thackeray was sworn in by Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari along with six Cabinet ministers — two each from the Sena, Congress and the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Royal Aeronautical Society honour for DRDO chief G Satheesh Reddy
- Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) London has conferred the Honorary Fellowship of the Society for the year 2019 to G Satheesh Reddy, Secretary Department of Defence R&D and Chairman DRDO.
- Reddy is the first Indian recipient of this prestigious award in over 100 years.
- The Society’s highest award is bestowed in recognition of Reddy’s pioneering technological contributions over the past three decades which has enabled the country to realise frontline military systems and world class missile technologies.
- Reddy has made outstanding contributions to Defence Research and Development and is renowned for his pioneering contributions to the Indian defence and aerospace sector.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
Two day DEFCOM INDIA 2019 seminar commenced at Manekshaw Centre, New Delhi
- The two day DEFCOM INDIA 2019 seminar commenced at Manekshaw Centre, New Delhi.
- The theme for the seminar is, “Communications: A Decisive Catalyst for Jointness”.
- The seminar is devoted to the seminal theme of leveraging communications for achieving jointness between the three services.
- DEFCOM 2019 one the first day witnessed active participation from the armed forces, industry, research and development organisations and the academia.
- It provided an excellent opportunity for the industry to understand the requirements of the Armed Forces.
- The DEFCOM exhibition showcased cutting edge communication solutions from the industry and gave officers from the three services an opportunity to gain insights on technology and industry capabilities. The prestigious DEFCOM journal was also released during the seminar.
WATEC 2019 Conference Held at Tel Aviv,Israel
- The 8th edition of the World Water Technology and Environmental Control (WATEC) Conference and Exhibition 2019 was held at David InterContinental, Tel Aviv, Israel from November 18-21, 2019.
- The focus of WATEC 2019 was “Water Stewardship and Innovation – driving global leadership in the responsible planning management, and protection of water”.
- The Minister of Jal Shakti, Shri Gajendra Singh Shekhawat represented India at the WATEC Conference.
- WATEC 2019 provided a comprehensive forum where water industry executives, academia, institutional investors, venture capitalists, analysts, and other experts have the opportunity to shape the future collaboration of the water technology arena.
1st International Conference on “Landslides Risk Reduction and Resilience-2019”
- The Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, G. Kishan Reddy inaugurated the 1st International Conference on “Landslides Risk Reduction and Resilience”.
- MoS, Shri G. kishan Reddy called for developing technology to anticipate disasters like landslides and develop infrastructure to quickly respond to minimise the damage.
- The Minister said that landslides have attracted global attention as they may cause huge havoc on communities, live stock, environment leading to huge loss of lives . On the one hand landslides effect loss of infrastructures-roads, buildings, bridges, communication systems etc, on the other, they may lead to stagnation of human activity and mobility.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
General Bipin Rawat set to be first Chief of Defence Staff
- The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Gen Bipin Rawat is the front-runner to take over as the first Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), the sole adviser to the government on all three services.
- Gen Rawat is to retire on 31 December 2019, three months before he turns 62, the upper age limit for service chiefs.
- The appointment of a new CDS is expected to be announced in December.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
China now has most diplomatic posts in the world, India ranked 12th
- The 2019 Global Diplomacy Index released by the Sydney-based Lowy Institute gives the latest statistics.
- China overtook the US in 2019 with 276 embassies and consulates worldwide, which is three more than the US.
- The study said both countries have an equal number of embassies but Beijing has three more consulates.
- The next three spots are occupied by France, Japan, and Russia.
- India is 12th among the 61 countries ranked by the Lowy Institute.
- As of 2019, New Delhi has 123 embassies and high commissions and 54 consulates globally.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Odisha to host 2023 men’s hockey World Cup
- The 2023 Men’s Hockey World Cup will be held in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced.
- India will host the Men’s Hockey World Cup for the second consecutive time after the country was picked to stage the game’s showpiece event in 2023 by the International Hockey Federation (FIH) earlier this month.
- The tournament will be held from January 13 to 29.
- The state capital is also one of the venues for the 2020 FIFA Women’s U-17 World Cup.
FIFA Rankings: India drop two places to be ranked 108
- India rank 108th in the world and 18th in Asia in the latest FIFA Rankings.
- With Belgium continuing to stand atop, followed closely by France and Brazil, the top 10 teams in the world remain unaltered with the exception of Croatia (6) doing one better over Portugal.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Former Indian Navy chief Sushil Kumar passes away
- Former Indian Navy Chief Admiral Sushil Kumar passed away following a brief illness.
- Sushil Kumar was Navy Chief from 1998-2001.
- He authored a book named “A Prime Minister to Remember- Memories of a Military Chief” which highlighted the key defence-related decisions taken by late former Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee.