Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the International Rice Research Institute in Varanasi
- Prime Minister inaugurated the International Rice Research Institute’s South Asia Regional Centre (ISARC) campus in Varanasi. The centre will serve as a hub for rice research and training in South Asia.
- The major aim of IRRI is to improve livelihood and nutrition, abolishing poverty, hunger, and malnutrition among those countries which depend on rice-based agri-food systems
- This was 6th IRRI SARC campus.
- IRRI Director General – Dr. Matthew Morell
Dharmendra Pradhan launches Ujjwala sanitary napkin initiative
- Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launched the Ujjwala Sanitary Napkin initiative in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- The Ujjwala Sanitary Napkins initiative by three oil marketing companies – IOCL, BPCL and HPCL.
- Under this programme, 100 manufacturing units will come up at the common services centres (CSCs) covering 93 blocks in all 30 districts of the stateat an estimated cost of 2.94 crore.
- The Central scheme will be a counter to the Odisha government’s Khushi scheme, in which sanitary napkins are provided free of cost to female students of government and government-aided schools in the state.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
World’s first plastic-free passenger flight takes off
- Portuguese charter airline Hi Fly made history when they flew the first flight without any singleuse plastic.
- The flight from Lisbon to Natal, Brazil was the first of four trials that won’t use any single use plastic on board.
- Many of the items on-board that are typically plastic were substituted with a more eco-friendly alternative.
China’s Chang’e-4 probe Geared to Land on Dark Side of the Moon
- A Chinese space probe Chang’e-4 is moving into position to land on the dark side of the moon for the first time,
- China launched the Chang’e-4 probe earlier this month, carried by a Long March-3B rocket. It includes a lander and a rover to explore the surface of the moon.
- The probe is carrying seeds for an experiment in cultivating vegetables in a closed environment on the lunar surface. It’s also equipped with a panorama camera and measuring devices.
Bangladesh Prime MinisterSheikh Hasina wins third straight term
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s ruling party won Bangladesh’s election with a large majority
- The Awami League won 287 of the 298 seats for which results have been declared in the 300-seat Parliament
|Prime Minister||Sheikh Hasina|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Arunachal touches record high revenue generation
- The Arunachal Pradesh government has created a record of a total revenue generation of Rs. 1,598.49 crore in 2017-18, reaching a new high in the last 30 years
- The revenue generation was Rs. 1,253.57 crore in 2016-17, registering an increase of Rs. 326.39 crore from its previous collection that stood at Rs. 927.23 crore,
|Arunachal Pradesh Capital||Itanagar|
Chariot festival celebrate in Madurai Meenakshi temple in Tamil Nadu
- The unique Chapparam (Chariot) festival, that symbolizes the importance of preserving all kinds of food and fodder, was celebrated with traditional rituals and festivities in the famous Madurai Meenakshi temple, in Tamil Nadu.
- Cooked rice, which is distributed among devotees, are taken home and preserved because it signifies prosperity for the whole year.
- Another specialty of the festival is that the chariot of Goddess Meenakshi is pulled by lady devotees alone.
|Tamil Nadu Capital||Chennai|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Banks recover Rs. 40,400 crore from defaulters
- According to the RBI Annual Report Trends and Progress of Banking in 2017-18, Banks have recovered Rs. 40,400 crore worth of bad loans through IBC, SARFAESI Act, debt recovery tribunals (DRTs) and Lok Adalats in the fiscal ended 31 March 2018.
- Banks recovered Rs. 40,400 crore worth of bad loans as against Rs. 38,500 crore recovered in FY17.
- Banks recovered Rs. 4,900 crore of bad loans through the IBC, the amount recovered through SARFAESI was Rs26,500 crore in FY18
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Government has appointed Sudhir Bhargava as new Chief Information Commissioner
- Sudhir Bhargava is Information Commissioner in the CIC, has been appointed as new chief of the panel.
- Central Information Commission Headquarters in Delhi.
Government appoints four new Information Commissioners in Central Information Commission
- The RTI body currently has three Information Commissioners as against the strength of 11, including the Chief Information Commissioner.
- President Ram Nath Kovind has cleared the appointment of Yashwardhan Kumar Sinha, Vanaja N Sarna, Neeraj Kumar Gupta and Suresh Chandra as information commissioners in the Central Information Commission.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Third edition of women’s national boxing championships held in Karnataka
- Third edition of women’s national boxing championships begins in Vijayanagara, Karnataka
- With close to 250 entries received from 31 states and institutions, pugilists will compete in all 10 weight categories.
- Boxing Federation of India, President – Ajay Singh
Smriti Mandhana wins ICC ‘Women’s Cricketer’ and ‘ODI Player of the year’ awards
- Indian opener Smriti Mandhana was named the ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year as well as the ICC Women’s ODI Player of the Year by the International Cricket Council (ICC)
- Rachael Heyhoe Flint Award for ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year – Smriti Mandhana (India)
- ICC Women’s T20I Player of the Year – Alyssa Healy (Australia)
- ICC Women’s Emerging Player of the Year – Sophie Ecclestone (England)
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
Legendary Bengali filmmaker Mrinal Sen passed away
- Legendary Bengali filmmaker Mrinal Sen passed away
- Mrinal Sen was born in May 14, 1923 Faridpur, Bengal Presidency, British India(Now in Bangladesh)
- He made his debut as a filmmaker with a feature film, “Raat Bhore” in 1955.
- Sen received the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, which is the country’s highest award in cinema, in 2003
- He was awarded Padma Bhushan – India’s third highest civilian award – in 1983.
Oscar, Grammy-winning lyricist Norman Gimbel passed away
- Norman Gimbel, an Oscar and Grammy-winning composer whose lyrics graced hit songs such as Roberta Flack’s “Killing Me Softly with His Song” and Jim Croce’s “I Got a Name,” Passed Away.
- He was born in November 16, 1927 Brooklyn, New York, U.S. In 1984 Gimbel was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.