Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try the Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
World Day against Trafficking in Persons
- World Day against Trafficking in Persons is observed every year on July 30
- In 2013, the UN member states adopted a resolution which designated July 30 as the World Day against Trafficking in Persons. They declared that such a day was necessary to “raise awareness of the situation of victims of human trafficking and for the promotion and protection of their rights.”
- The theme for World Day Against Trafficking in “Persons 2019 is Human Trafficking: Call Your Government To Action”
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
LS speaker constitutes 5 parliamentary committees
- The Congress leader in the Lok Sabha, Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, has been formally appointed Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of Parliament,that keeps a close eye on the government expenditure as sanctioned by Parliament.
- Lok Sabha member Meenakshi Lekhi (BJP) will be the Chairman of Committee on Public Undertakings that examines whether state-run companies are managed in accordance with sound business principles and prudent commercial practices.
- Former Maharashtra minister and first-term Lok Sabha member Girish Bapat has been appointed as chairman of the Estimates Committee that is tasked with making suggestions about alternative policies to bring about efficiency and economy in administration.
- The Committee for Welfare of SC/ST with BJP member Kirit Solanki as its chairman. The committee examines the reports submitted by the National Commission of Scheduled Castes and National Commission on Scheduled Tribes and ensure representation of such communities in services and posts under government control.
- Senior BJP leader Ganesh Singh has been appointed as Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Welfare of Other Backward Classes.
Indian Railways’ NFR zone introduces new ‘pink coaches’ for women passengers
- Indian Railways’Northeast Frontier Railway zone has started a unique initiative to earmark a special portion of the SLR coach with pink colour. This is done to specially help the women passengers with better safety and security.
- This special colour will help the women passenger to easily identify the coach in the platform even during rush hours.
- Eight trains in Rangiya division of the Northeast Frontier Railway have begun operations with some pink coaches, exclusively for women.
- In some trains depending on the nature of the coach the same has been earmarked both for lady passengers as well as Divyangjan.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Google partners with Cisco to roll out free high-speed Wi-Fi zones in India
- Cisco and Google announced plans to roll out free high-speed Wi-Fi zones across India with Google’s gStation.
- Cisco will work with gStation platform to provide communities around the country access to a free, open, high-quality public Wi-Fi.
- The service is already live in 25 locations in Bangalore. According to Google, it will be available in 500 locations in Bangalore over the next few months.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Maharashtra police to launch high-tech biometric scanning system
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has launched the Automated Multi-modal Biometric Identification System (AMBIS) which is a special digitized policing system to identify and track down criminals.
- Under AMBIS, a digital database of criminals consisting of their fingerprints, irises, palms and facial features will be prepared, which will help to track a criminal having a single criminal record.
- The system is said to be first-of-its-kind in the country and Maharashtra.
|Governor||Chinamani Vidyasagar Rao|
Odisha rasagola gets Geographical Indication tag
- The rasagola, a popular dessert of Odisha, has received the geographical indication tag from the Registrar of Geographical Indication
- The GI number 612 has been registered in favour of the Odisha Small Industries Corporation Limited (OSIC Limited), a government of Odisha undertaking and Utkal Mistanna Byabasayee Samiti, a traders’ organisation, in the foodstuff category
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Nilekani-Backed Sahamati Account Aggregator Could Solve Fintech’s Data Problem
- Infosys cofounder and its former chairman Nandan Nilekanibrought a phase of disruption for digital India with the work on Aadhaar and the subsequent push from IndiaStack.
- Nilekani has now introduced a new model which could change the game for the fintech ecosystem in India in the form of account aggregator.
- Nilekani debuted Sahamati, a collective of account aggregator focussed on fintech data and addressing the friction in accessing this data.
- The Sahamati framework addresses pain points and provides a digital platform for easy sharing and consumption of data between its partner entities, with user consent.
- Sahamati claims that it has in-principle approval from RBI, while other financial services regulators (FSRs) are providing the required regulatory support and guidance for the rollout.
- Sahamati’s data empowerment and protection architecture (DEPA) enables the collection and use of personal data to improve access to financial, healthcare, and other socio-economically important services in real-time. DEPA also claims to preserve the safety, security and privacy of users.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Bandhan Bank appoints Siddhartha Sanyal as chief economist
- Private lender Bandhan Bank announced the appointment of Siddhartha Sanyal as chief economist and head of research who will spearhead the bank’s research and business strategy.
- Sanyal joined Bandhan Bank from Barclays Bank Plc where he was the director and chief India economist based in Mumbai since 2010.
|Bandhan Bank CEO||Chandra Shekhar Ghosh|
|Tagline||“Aapka Bhala, Sabki Bhalai”|
Indian Federation of Sports Gaming appoints Justice A.K. Sikri as ombudsman
- The Indian Federation of Sports Gaming (IFSG) announced the appointment of Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri as its ombudsman and ethics officer.
- Indian Federation of Sports Gaming (IFSG) is India’s first self-regulatory industry body for the online fantasy sports gaming sector.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOUR
Tiruchy airport terminal shortlisted for LEAF award
- The new terminal of the international airport of trichy has been shortlisted for the Leading European Architecture Forum (LEAF) awards under the category of ‘Best Future Building Under-construction Project.
- Pascall-Watson group designed the terminal by fusing reference from local heritage and culture with a contemporary architectural language, creating a sense of place and identity for arriving and departing passengers.
- It uses natural lighting, water harvesting and ground source, among others.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
MP tops country with 526 tigers: All India Estimation report
- The All India Tiger Estimation Report 2018 revealed that Madhya Pradesh was the country’s “tiger state” with 526 of the big cats.
- The tiger population in the country has grown from 1,400 in 2014 to 2,977 in 2019.
- MP had lost the coveted “tiger state” status to Karnataka in 2011. As per the 2018 report, Karnataka is a close second with 524 tigers, followed by Uttarakhand with 442.
- The data was collected using an Android-based application- M-STrIPES ( Monitoring system for Tigers’ Intensive Protection and Ecological Status).
- The Prime Minister also released report of the 4th cycle of the Management Effectiveness Evaluation of Tiger Reserves (MEETR) with Pench Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh scoring the highest and Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve, Tamil Nadu showing the highest increment in management since the last cycle for which the latter was awarded.
San Francisco Bay Area tops Women Entrepreneur Cities Index 2019
- The San Francisco Bay Area has overtaken New York City as the most accommodative place in the world to be a female entrepreneur.
- The Bay Area’s progress this year saw New York to drop to second place, followed by London (3rd), Boston (4th) and Los Angeles (5th). The top 10 was rounded out by Washington D.C. (6th), Seattle (7th), Paris (8th), Toronto (9th) and Stockholm (10th).
- Singapore is the top Asian city at 21st rank. Bengaluru ranked at 43 is top Indian city followed by Delhi at 50.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : DEFENCE
LCU L56 commissioned into Indian Navy
- The sixth of eight indigenously built Landing Craft Utility (LCU) MK IV class ships ‘LCU L 56’ was commissioned into the Indian Navy by Vice Admiral Atul Kumar Jain, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (FOC-in-C), Eastern Naval Command, at Visakhapatnam.
- The LCU L56 is an amphibious ship with its primary role being transportation, deployment and recovery of main battle tanks, armoured vehicles, troops and equipment from ship to shore and vice-versa
- Indigenously designed and built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE), Kolkata
- GRSE (Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers) become the first shipyard in the country to have built the 100th warship.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Ellyse Perry becomes first cricketer to reach 1000 runs, 100 wickets in T20Is
- Australia all-rounder Ellyse Perry became the first cricketer of either gender to reach the rare milestone of scoring 1000 runs and taking 100 wickets in the T20 format.
- A four brought up the 1000-run milestone for the all-rounder, who had picked up her 100th wicket by dismissing England’s Nat Sciver in the World T20 final in November last year.
Tamil Nadu girl wins gold at World Deaf Youth Badminton Championship in Taiwan
- 15-year-old Jerlin Anika from Tamil Nadu’s Madurai has won the gold medal at the 2nd World Deaf Youth Badminton Championship in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Anika won a total of four medals including two silvers and a bronze.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Meghalaya Assembly Speaker Donkupar Roy passes away
- Meghalaya Assembly Speaker Donkupar Roy passed away following a brief illness at the age of 64.
- He was a former Chief Minister of Meghalaya.
Eminent Malayalam poet and translator Attoor Ravi Varma passes away
- Renowned Malayalam poet, translator Attoor Ravi Varma passed away after age-related ailments. He was 89.
- He was a recipient of Kendra Sahitya Akademi Award, Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award for Poetry and Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award for Translation and Ashan Award.