Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
- Rajasthan Dayis celebrated on 30th March every year on which the state Rajasthan came into existence as it was previously known as Rajputana.
- On 30th March 1949, Rajasthan was formed
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
NTPC to set up 25 MW floating solar power plant at Simhadri, Andhra Pradesh
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) – Simhadri is setting up a 25 MW floating solar power plant in its water storage reservoir as part of the company’s efforts to diversify into the solar segment
- NTPC-Simhadri was also setting up a flue-gas desulphurisation plant (FGD) like the other thermal stations of the company. It had four units 500 MW each.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Shanghai becomes world’s first district with 5G coverage
- Shanghai’s Hongkou has become the world’s first district using both 5G coverage and broadband gigabit network as China seeks to establish lead over the US and other countries in the race to develop next generation cellular mobile communications.
- It conducted trial runs of the 5G network, backed by telecom services provider China Mobile
- 5G is the next generation of cellular technology with download speeds that are 10 to 100 times faster than 4G LTE networks.
Zuzana Caputova becomes Slovakia’s first female president
- Zuzana Caputova has won Slovakia’s presidential election, making her the country’s first female head of state.
- A member of the Progressive Slovakia party, Caputova won 58.3% votes after results from 98.1% of the voting districts were counted. Caputova defeated European Commission Vice President, Maros Sefcovic, who was backed by the ruling party, SMER-SD.
|Prime Minister||Peter Pellegrini|
The hump-backed mahseer is now ‘critically endangered’: IUCN
- The hump-backed mahseer—a large freshwater fish also called the tiger of the water and found only in the Cauvery river basin (including Kerala’s Pambar, Kabini and Bhavani rivers)—is now “Critically Endangered”, as per the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s Red List of Threatened Species
- The fish is one of the 229 species added to the Red List last November
- Five other species have also made it to threatened categories: two wild orchids, the Arabian scad (a marine fish) and two wild coffee species found only in a few localities in the Western Ghats.
- While 31 species that were already in the Red List have been down-listed, the threat status of 12 species has increased
|International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)|
|IUCN CEO||Inger Andersen|
|IUCN Headquarters||Gland, Switzerland|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Assam’s Bongaigaon district admin develops ‘Sankalp’ app to reach out to 1st-time voter
- In Assam, the Bongaigaon district administration has developed a mobile app Sankalp to particularly reach out to the first-time voters.
- It is a special initiative has been taken to encourage the first-time voters. NIC team has developed the app.
- The first-time voters on their mobile phones, requesting them to download the ‘Sankalp’ app.
- The new voters will also be able to sign a digital ‘sankalp patra’ to cast their votes on the day of polling.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Nagaland forest guard Yimchunger honoured with an international Earth award
- A forest guard of Nagaland named Alemba Yimchunger had been conferred with the ‘Earth Day Network Star Award’ by Earth Day Network, an international environmental NGO based in United States.
- Yimchunger who works as a forest guard at Fakim Wildlife Sanctuary in Kiphire district has been honoured with the prestigious award for his efforts in conserving biodiversity in and around the wildlife sanctuary.
- The Earth Day Network Star award is a prestigious recognition of those who do excellent work in the environmental field.
- Earth Day is an annual event celebrated on 22nd April. It celebrates the earth’s environment and raises public awareness about pollution. The first Earth Day was celebrated in 1970
Rita Moreno to Receive Peabody Career Achievement Award
- The Peabody Awards board of jurors announced that Rita Moreno will receive the 2019 Peabody career achievement award.
- The actress will add the honor to her long list of awards, including an Oscar, a Tony, two Emmys and a Grammy. She is one of the 15 people to win the coveted EGOT quartet of elite awards.
- She has been appointed as the official ambassador of Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF)’s ‘Share Her Journey’
- The 78thAnnual Peabody Awards will take place on May 18 at Cipriani Wall Street in New York.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Vijay Chandok appointed as MD and CEO of ICICI Securities
- ICICI Securities appointed Vijay Chandok as an additional director and as a Managing Director and CEO of the company with effect from May 7, 2019.
- He will succeedShilpa Naval Kumar.
- Vijay Chandok, presently Executive Director of the ICICI Bank, has tendered his resignation from the board of the bank to take effect at the end of day on May 6, 2019.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Indian Navy gets combat management system for INS Vikrant
- It is the first CMS to be developed by private industry for Indian Navy and for indigenous aircraft carrier.
- Indian Navy has received Combat Management System (CMS) for first indigenous aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant.
- It has been privately co-developed by Tata Power Strategic Engineering Division and Electronics System Engineering Establishment and MARS of Russia.
- It is India’s first indigenously-built largest aircraft carrier. It is also called IAC-1. It is in its third and final phase of construction at Kochi shipyard and the sea trials are expected to begin by mid-2020.
GRSE becomes first in India to build 100 warships
- Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE) became the ‘first Indian shipyard’ to build and deliver 100 warships.
- GRSE Chairman and Managing Director,V K Saxena, formally handed over the 100th warship ‘IN LCU L-56’ to the Indian Navy.
- It had handed over its 99th warship, ‘ICGS Priyadarshini’, an advanced ‘Fast Patrol Vessel’ to the Indian Coast Guard.
- The 100th warship, a Landing Craft Utility (LCU), is the sixth of an order of eight such vessels from the Navy.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
IIT Madras converts petroleum waste toluene into useful product
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has successfully converted petroleum waste-product toluene into benzoic acid.
- Benzoic acid is used as a food preservative (E210) and medicine for fungal/bacterial infection.
- Toluene is converted into benzoic acid through selective and controlled oxidation in the presence of a catalyst — binaphthyl-stabilised platinum nanoparticles (Pt-BNP).
Tesla builds its ‘largest energy storage system in Asia’
- Tesla has developed its ‘largest power storage system in Asia’ at Osaka train station in Japan to reduce energy demand and provide emergency backup power to trains in Japan.
- It has installed a bank of 42 Powerpacks at a train station in Japan’s Osaka that can provide sufficient backup power to safely move a train and its passengers to the nearest station in the event of a power outage.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MoU
India, US renew triangular development cooperation in Asia and Africa
- India and the United States signed the First Amendment to the Statement of Guiding Principles (SGP) on Triangular Cooperation for Global Development, mainly focused on Asia and Africa.
- It renews SGP agreement, which was signed by both countries in November 2014.
- It extends its validity up to 2021. It also expands scope of capacity building activities undertaken jointly by India and US under this framework.
- India and US will continue to offer capacity building assistance to partner countries in multiple sectors, focusing primarily on agriculture, trade and investments, nutrition, health, water, sanitation, education, women empowerment, regional connectivity, clean and renewable energy, disaster preparedness and institution building.
- It will help to fulfil India-US joint commitment to work together and leverage their combined capacities to provide demand-driven development partnership.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
India Open 2019 Winners List
- India’s Kidambi Srikanth lost in straight games to former world champion Viktor Axelsen of Denmark at the Yonex-Sunrise India Open badminton tournament 2019 in New Delhi.
- The 2019 India Open was held at K. D. Jadhav Indoor Hall in India.
|Men’s Single||Viktor Axelsen||Srikanth Kidambi|
|Women’s Single||Ratchanok Intanon||He Bingjiao|
Lee Yang and Wang Chi-lin
|Ricky Karanda Suwardi and
|Women’s Doubles||Greysia Polii and Apriyani Rahayu||Chow Mei Kuan and Lee Meng Yean|
Wang Yilü and Huang Dongping
|Praveen Jordan and Melati Daeva Oktavianti|
/ 5. Reviews