Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
World Cancer Day
- World Cancer Day takes place every year on 4 February to increase awareness of cancer, and to encourage its prevention, early detection and treatment
- This year, Union for International Cancer Control, which organizes World Cancer Day, is launching a new 3-year campaign with the theme: “I Am and I Will.” ‘The campaign is an empowering call-to-action urging for personal commitment and represents the power of individual action taken now to impact the future
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
India’s tourism sector registers 19% growth in 2018
- The country’s tourism sector fetched 234 billion US Dollar revenue last year, registering a growth of over 19%
- This revenue was contributed by 87 per cent domestic and 13 per cent foreign tourists.
- According to the 2018 report of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), India is ranked third in the tourism sector
|Minister of Tourism (State) (I\C)||Alphons Kannanthanam|
Department of post to soon set up its own insurance company
- Department of post will soon set up its own insurance company which will deal with its business of two products Postal life insurance and Rural Postal Life Insurance.
- Union Minister of state for Communications Manoj Sinha stated that the proposal has been moved to Cabinet
- Target to set up Passport Seva Kendra in all Lok Sabha constituencies will be achieved by end of February
Piyush Goyal launches the IEA’s ‘The Future of Rail’ report
- Minister of Railways & Coal, Shri Piyush Goyal launched the report “The Future of Rail” of International Energy Agency (IEA)
- “The Future of Rail” the first-of-a-kind report analyses the current and future importance of rail around the world through the perspective of its energy and environmental implications.
- The report reviews the impact of existing plans and regulations on the future of rail and explores the policies that could help to realise an enhanced future of the railways.
|Ministerof Railways & Coal||PiyushGoyal|
|Constituency||Maharashtra, Rajya Sabha|
|International Energy Agency Headquarters||Paris, France|
|International Energy Agency Executive Director||FatihBirol|
PM Modi dedicates 294 km long electrified railway lines in West Bengal, to the nation
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated Railway electrification of 294-km long Andal-Sainthia-Pakur-Malda and Khana-Sainthia sections in West Bengal
- Electrification of this section will enable ease of transportation of coal, stone chips and ballast to North and North East India in a seamless manner.
- He also dedicated the twenty kilometre long Hijli- Narayangarh third line to the Nation
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Sri Lanka celebrating its 71st Independence Day
- The National Day of Sri Lanka is celebrated on 4 February to commemorate its internal political independence from British rule on that day in 1948
- The main function will be held at Galle face grounds in Colombo where President Maithripala Sirisena will be chief guest.
- Maldives President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih will attend the function as guest of honour.
- A total of 545 prisoners have been granted Presidential pardon to mark the occasion and will be released
|Sri Lanka Capital||Colombo, Jayawardenepura Kotte|
|Sri Lanka Currency||Sri Lankan rupee|
|Sri Lanka President||Maithripala Sirisena|
Pakistan Successfully Test-Fires Short-Range Ballistic Missile Nasr
- Pakistan Army successfully test-fired the short range surface-to-surface ballistic missile ”Nasr” with a strike range of about 70 km
- Nasr is a high precision, shoot and scoot weapon system with the ability of in-flight maneuverability
|PakistanPrime Minister||Imran Khan|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Indus River Dolphin declared Punjab’s State aquatic animal
- Punjab government declared the endangered Indus river dolphins, one of the world’s rarest mammals, as the state’s aquatic animal.
- The decision was taken at the a meeting of the state board for wildlife chaired by chief minister Captain Amarinder Singh
- At present, there are only around 1,800 of these in the Indus in Pakistan. Their population in the Beas is between 8 to 10.
- The chief minister also gave approval to declare the Kanjli Wetland and the holy Kali Bein River as a wildlife conservation reserve to mark the historic 550th birth anniversary of Sikhism founder Guru Nanak Dev.
|Punjab Chief Minister||Amarinder Singh|
|Punjab Governor||V P Singh Badnore|
Sikkim signs MoU with Microsoft for digital learning
- Microsoft India entered into a pact with the Sikkim state government to improve the education system in the state by boosting digital literacy and the knowledge of new-age technology among students and teachers in government schools.
- As part of the collaboration, Microsoft would support the state in integrating IT content in the state board curriculum and build student capacity besides building teacher capacity through the Microsoft Educator Network and Innovative Educator Program
|Sikkim Chief Minister||Pawan Kumar Chamling|
|Sikkim Governor||Ganga Prasad|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
Indostar Capital Finance to buy India Infoline Finance’s Commercial Vehicle Finance Business
- IndoStar Capital Finance Ltd (IndoStar) , a non-banking finance company, has signed a binding agreement to acquire the Commercial Vehicle (CV) finance business of India Infoline Finance Ltd (IIFL Finance), a subsidiary of IIFL Holdings Ltd.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Rishi Kumar Shukla appointed as new CBI director
- Former Madhya Pradesh Director General of Police Rishi Kumar Shukla has been appointed the Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation
- Mr Shukla,a 1983-batch officer, will head the CBI for a period of two years
- His appointment was made a day after the second meeting of a high-powered committee comprising PM Modi, Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and opposition leader Malli karjun Kharge
Nilambar Acharya appointed as Nepal’s ambassador to India
- Former Law Minister of Nepal Nilambar Acharya has been appointed as country’s ambassador to India
- The position of the Nepalese ambassador to India was vacant for more than a year after Deep Kumar Upadhyay resigned
- President Bidya Devi Bhandari administered the oath of office and secrecy to Mr. Acharya in Kathmandu
- Acharya had also served as Nepal’s envoy to Sri Lanka
|Nepal Currency||Nepalese rupee|
|Nepal President||Bidya Devi Bhandari|
DIPP secretary Ramesh Abhishek to hold additional charge of civil aviation
- Ramesh Abhishek, secretary of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), was given an additional charge of the Civil Aviation Ministry
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved assignment of additional charge of the post of secretary, Civil Aviation Ministry, to Abhishek,
- Choubey has been named as member of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
|Minister of Civil Aviation||Suresh Prabhu|
|Constituency||Andhra Pradesh, Rajya Sabha|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
International Spice Conference 2019 held in Hyderabad
- International Spice Conference 2019 held in Hyderabad
- The International Spice Conference aims to provide a platform for all stakeholders of the industry including the business houses, the spice associations, the policymakers, the farmers and the end users, to address and interact
- Theme of the conference is “Challenges of Change: Redefining the Value Chain”
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Defence Ministry approves procurement of 73,000 assault rifles from US
- The Defence Ministry has cleared a long-pending proposal of the Army to procure around 73,000 assault rifles from the US under fast track mode
- Defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman approved procurement of the Sig Sauer rifles which will be used by troops deployed along the nearly 3,600-km border with China
- The US-manufactured rifles will replace the Insas rifles.
|Constituency||Rajya Sabha, Karnataka|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
India’s Smriti Mandhana becomes number 1 in latest ICC women’s ODI rankings
- Indian opener Smriti Mandhana has climbed three spots in the batters’ list to become number one in the latest ICC women’s ODI rankings
- Ellyse Perry is second in the rankings, while another Aussie Meg Lanning is third. Indian ODI skipper Mithali Raj has slipped to the fifth position.
- In the ODI Bowler’s rankings, veteran pacer Jhulan Goswami is fourth, with PoonamYadav at eighth, and fellow spinner Deepti Sharma at ninth.
- Deepti is fourth in the All-rounders standings and is the sole Indian in the top-10.
Haryana Hammers beat defending champions Punjab Royals to lift PWL 4 title
- Haryana Hammers won the fourth edition of the Pro Wrestling League (PWL) as they outclassed Punjab Royals 6-3 in the summit clash at the Gautam Buddha University indoor stadium
- Riding on Aleksander Khotsianivski, Ali Shabanov, Kiran, Ravi Kumar and Anastasia Nichita’s dominating performance, the runners-up in the last three editions, Haryana Hammers, turned the tables on the defending champions Punjab Royals winning all the first five bouts of the evening to clinch the title
Pakistan’s Sana Mir becomes first Asian woman to play hundred T20Is
- Former captain of the Pakistan women team Sana Mir has become the first Asian woman to play hundred T20Is
- Sana Mir is one of Pakistan’s most senior women cricketers and has been representing the country since 2005.
- The 33-year-old reached the milestone when she walked into the field for the ongoing third and final T20I against West Indies in Karachi.
- Mir is the only sixth woman from around the world to play 100 T20Is. West Indian Deandra Dottin leads the list with 109 T20Is