Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try the Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples
- The International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples is observed on 9 August each year to frontup and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
- This event also recognizes the achievements and contributions that indigenous people make to improve world issues such as environmental protection.
- This year’s observance is dedicated to Indigenous Peoples’ Languages in view of 2019 being marked as the International Year of Indigenous Languages.
|Theme 2019||Indigenous Languages|
- On August 9 we remember when a nuclear bomb was dropped on the city of Nagasaki in Japan on the 9th August 1945, completely obliterating the city, killing over 200,000 women, men, and children.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Delhi plans 11,000 free Wi-Fi hotspots offering 15 GB data per month
- The Delhi government will appoint wireless internet service providers to install 11,000 free Wi-Fi hotspots, offering 15GB data per month to every citizen
- Tenders will soon be floated to appoint the service providers.
- According to state government estimates, the annual cost of the project will be ₹100 crore, and the services could start within the next three to four months.
|Delhi Chief Minister||Arvind Kejriwal|
|Delhi Governor||Anil Baijal|
22nd National Conference on E-Governance inaugurated in Meghalaya
- In Meghalaya, the two-day-long 22nd National Conference on E-Governance was inaugurated by Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma in the presence of Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region Dr Jitendra Singh at State Convention Centre, Shillong.
- Altogether 28 states and all Union Territories participated in the conference, which itself is a testimony of the commitment shown by state Governments across the country towards e-Governance.
- The Conference is being attended by senior government officers from across India, researchers and eminent personalities from the IT industry.
- The two-day-long Conference is being jointly organized by the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Government of India; Government of Meghalaya; NASSCOM and Ministry of Electronic and Information Technology, Government of India.
|Meghalaya Chief Minister||Conrad Sangma|
|Meghalaya Governor||Tathagata Roy|
Government sanctions over 5,000 electric buses under second phase of FAME India scheme
- Government has sanctioned five thousand 595 electric buses in 64 cities for intracity and intercity operations under the second phase of FAME India scheme.
- The objective of the scheme is to encourage faster adoption of electric and hybrid vehicle by way of offering upfront incentives on purchase of electric vehicles.
- Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises in a release said, this will give a further push to clean mobility in public transportation.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
India, Bangladesh to set up committee for optimum utilisation of water resources
- India and Bangladesh have agreed to set up a Joint Technical committee for optimum utilisation of Ganges water as being received by Bangladesh under the Ganga Water Sharing Treaty 1996.
- After the Secretary-level meeting in Dhaka yesterday, both the countries also agreed to prepare a framework for interim water-sharing agreement for eight rivers including Feni, Gumti and Teesta.
- Both the countries also discussed issues related to pollution of trans boundary rivers.
- The Secretary-level meeting was held after a gap of more than 8 years.
- It is an important step in enhancing bilateral cooperation in the water resources sector between India and Bangladesh.
|Bangladesh Currency||Bangladeshi Taka|
|Bangladesh Prime Minister||Sheikh Hasina|
Over 5 lakh Rohingya refugees get identity cards in Bangladesh
- More than 5 lakh Rohingya refugees living in Bangladesh have been issued identity documents by the UNHCR.
- The UNHCR stated that the bio-metric, fraud-proof cards are being issued jointly by Bangladeshi authorities and UNHCR to all verified refugees over the age of 12. These cards will help in establishing and safeguarding the right of Rohingya refugees to return to their homes in Myanmar.
- The current registration exercise began in June 2018 and it is scheduled to be completed during the last quarter of the current year.
- UNHCR’s Bio-metric Identity Management System (BIMS) captures bio-metric data, including fingerprints and iris scans, which secure each refugee’s unique identity as well as other important information such as family links.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Manipur tops in Breastfeeding, Infant & Young Child Feeding Practices
- Manipur has topped the rankings in Breastfeeding and Infant and Young Child Feeding Practices in the country.
- Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan released a report on Breastfeeding in New Delhi.
- Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Bihar are at the bottom positions in the report card.
- National capital Delhi is also among the worst-performing States.
- The Breastfeeding report card has been developed by devising a composite score based on three indicators namely early initiation of breastfeeding, exclusive breastfeeding for six months and complimentary feeding at 6-8 months of child’s age.
|Manipur Chief Minister||N. Biren Singh|
|Manipur Governor||Padmanabha Acharya|
Government employees in J&K told to resume duties with immediate effect
- All government employees at the divisional and district levels and those serving in civil secretariat Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, were \asked to report back to their duties with immediate effect.
- The order was issued by Chief Secretary, Jammu and Kashmir.
- The administration was asked to make necessary arrangements regarding the smooth and secure working environment for the employees.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Indian government to exempt FPIs from new tax surcharge
- The government is likely to exempt foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) from an increase in taxes that was part of the budget, news agency Reuters reported, citing sources.
- The government will either issue a notification or an executive order, which could be later submitted to parliament for approval, to exempt the foreign portfolio investors, mainly registered as trusts, from the increase in surcharge on super rich taxpayers.
- The government had earlier this week said it would soon hold discussions with representatives of foreign portfolio investors, amid continuing overseas fund outflow from the markets following the decision to impose surcharge on certain class of such investors.
- Foreign investors took $1.8 billion out of Indian equities in July alone.
Jana Small Finance Bank gets Scheduled Bank status
- Jana Small Finance Bank Ltd, which commenced banking operations in March 2018, has got the status of a Scheduled Bank.
- The Government notified this on July 27 this year, putting Jana Small Finance Bank on the list of the banks included in the second schedule of RBI Act 1934.
- Jana Small Finance bank presently operates in 260 bank branches and 338 asset centres, which is serving over 5.5 million customers across the country.
|Jana Small Finance Bank Headquarters||Bangalore|
|Jana Small Finance Bank Tagline||Likho Apni Kahani|
|Jana Small Finance Bank CEO||Ajay Kanwal|
Bank of Maharashtra and IDBI Bank cut MCLRs
- Bank of Maharashtra and IDBI Bank have cut their marginal cost of funds based lending rate (MCLR) across select tenors by 10 basis points (bps) and 5-15 bps, respectively.
- This downward revision in MCLR comes in the wake of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) cutting its policy repo rate by 35 bps from 5.75 per cent to 5.40 per cent on August 7.
- Following the reduction, the new MCLR of the Pune-headquartered public sector bank for three months is 8.30 per cent (8.40 per cent earlier), 8.40 per cent (8.50 per cent) for six months and 8.50 per cent (8.60 per cent).
- IDBI Bank has pared its three months MCLR by 5 bps from 8.40 per cent to 8.35 per cent. It has cut the MCLR on three maturity buckets by 10 bps each — six months to 8.50 per cent, one-year to 8.85 per cent and three years to 9.10 per cent. The two years MCLR has been cut by 15 bps to 8.95 per cent.
|Bank of Maharashtra Headquarters||Pune|
|Bank of Maharashtra Tagline||One Family, One Bank|
|Bank of Maharashtra MD and CEO||A. S. Rajeev|
|IDBI Bank Headquarters||Mumbai|
|IDBI Bank Tagline||Banking For All, “Aao Sochein Bada”|
|IDBI Bank MD and CEO||Rakesh Sharma|
DBS Bank India ties up with Social Alpha to incubate social entrepreneurs
- DBS Bank India has tied up with technology business incubator Social Alpha to mentor enterprises that focus on sectors such as inclusion, healthcare, and environment. DBS Bank will also give an annual programme grant of ₹1 crore.
- DBS Bank will mentor and support three ventures over the next 18 months.
- This includes Even Cargo, which has trained and employed women as delivery personnel for e-commerce firms; Trust Circle, a mental healthcare start-up that utilises mobile AI technology to improve emotional resiliency; and Incredible Devices, a medical device start-up company aimed at making safe and affordable healthcare solutions.
|DBS Bank Headquarters||Singapore|
|DBS Bank CEO||Piyush Gupta|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS
Rakesh Sinha appointed as member of Press Council
- Five Rajya Sabha members were elected unopposed to the parliamentary joint committee on office of profit.
- According to the sources, the MPs elected unopposed to the joint committee are Mahesh Poddar (BJP), K Keshava Rao (TRS), Vijayasai Reddy (YSRCP), Dola Sen (TMC) and Sasmit Patra (BJD).
- The committee has 15 members — 10 from Lok Sabha and five from Rajya Sabha. It is learnt that the members from Lok Sabha have been elected as well.
- The chairman of the committee is still to be nominated. Rajya Sabha chairman M Venkaiah Naidu nominated BJP MP Rakesh Sinha as a member of the Press Council of India.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOUR
Abhinandan Varthaman, Balakot pilots to get top military honours
- The government will, as it was expected to announce military decorations for Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman for shooting down a Pakistani F-16 during a dogfight over the Line of Control on February 27 and the Mirage-2000 pilots involved in the operation a day before that to precision bomb a terror base in Pakistan’s Balakot, two officials familiar with the development.
- Varthaman is likely to be awarded a Vir Chakra for his exploits, and the five Mirage-2000 fighter aces who dropped bombs on the terror facility of the Jaish-e-Mohammed, the Vayu Sena Medal for gallantry.
Special postage stamp to be released to commemorate golden jubilee of IFFI
- PIBA special Postage Stamp and First Day Cover will be released to commemorate the Golden Jubilee Edition of International Film Festival of India, IFFI.
- The festival will take place from the 20th to 28th November in Goa.
- Competition for designing the Postage Stamp and First Day Cover has been launched by the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting on MyGov platform.
- Those interested may log in on to www.mygov.in to participate in the competition.
- The contest is open till 15th August. The winner will receive a Certificate of Appreciation along with travel and hospitality for three nights and three days to Goa to attend the Festival.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
India, 45 others sign UN treaty on mediation in trade disputes
- India and 45 other United Nations members including the US and China, signed the Singapore Convention on Mediation, intended to help stabilise trade ties.
- The international treaty aims for the resolution of cross-border commercial and trade disputes as an alternative to court cases.
- The convention sets the standards for enforcing and invoking settlement agreements.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
World Archery suspends Archery Association of India for breaching guidelines
- World Archery, the global governing body of the Olympic sport, suspended the Archery Association of India (AAI) for breaching its guidelines by electing two parallel bodies, but allowed Indian archers to compete in the 2019 World Archery Youth Championships, slated to be held in Madrid from August 19.
- The suspension has come into effect from August 5.
|World Archery Federation Headquarters||Lausanne, Switzerland|
|World Archery Federation President||Uğur Erdener|
South Africa batsman announces retirement from all forms of international cricket
- South Africa batsman Hashim Amla has announced his retirement from all formats of international cricket.
- Amla, 36, who will continue to be available for domestic cricket as well as the Mzansi Super League, had an international career spanning 15 years.
- In all, he played 349 matches across the three formats for South Africa, making 55 centuries and 88 other scores in excess of 50 in scoring more than 18,000 runs.
Mary Kom, Bhaichung Bhutia in 12-member selection panel for national sports awards
- The national sports awards for athletes and coaches this year will be decided by a single 12-member panel, which includes six-time boxing world champion Mary Kom and former football captain Bhaichung Bhutia.
- The awards will be given away on August 29, the birth anniversary of former hockey captain Major Dhyan Chand which is celebrated as the National Sports Day.
/ 5. Reviews