Exercise Error Spotting Questions Based on NOUN
- The parliament is divided on the bill.
Explanation: The parliament is divided, it is not being divided thought of a whole, but in terms of its constituents. Hence, use plural verb. ’The parliament are divided on the bill.
- His brother committed thiefhood in his house.
Explanation: The abstract noun from common noun thief is theft, not thiefhood. ‘His brother committed theft in his house’.
- He wears glass to aid his short sighted eye.
Explanation: This sentence intends is spectacles made of glass. So we use plural ‘glasses’ . ‘He wears glasses to aid his short sighted eye’.
- The same board is used chess as well as draught.
Explanation: The game is not draught but draughts.‘ The same board is used chess as well as draughts’.
- Take care of the vixen because they are wily creatures.
Explanation: Vixen is the feminine gender of fox, not its plural. ‘Take care of the foxes because they are wily creatures’/ ‘Take care of the vixen because she is a wily creatures’.
- The Indians are a religious-minded people.
Explanation: The sentence is correct. People usually, is used as a plural. But when it means a nation, as it does here, it is used as a singular. ‘The Indians are a religious-minded people’.
- Time passes in its chariot majestically.
Explanation: In this sentence time is personified and takes masculine gender. ‘Time passes in his chariot majestically’.
- The practices of the lawyers vary from those of the doctors.
Explanation: In this sentence, it is talking of persons from different professions-lawyers and doctors. Thus practice means exercise of a profession. This meaning does not have a plural. ‘The practice of the lawyers varies from those of the doctors’.
- The bright lamps gave much lights.
Explanation: If one light gives light, do you think two lights give two lights? Light is not countable so it does not have plural form. ‘The bright lamps gave much light’.
- Devi is Anand of our chess class.
Explanation: Devi is not Viswanathan Anand . Anand here is compared with Devi. ‘Devi is the Anand of our chess class’.
- You will be promoted in the time of a year.
Explanation: Possessive is used with nouns denoting time .‘You will be promoted in a year’s time’.
- The cup’s base was rounded.
Explanation: The cup is not a living thing . so it does not take possessive sign. ‘The base of the cup was rounded.
- The Earth treats us as his children, not strangers.
Explanation: The earth is personified and it takes feminine gender.. ‘The Earth treats us as her children, not strangers’.
- The fleet of ships move at a uniform speed.
Explanation: The fleet is a collective noun. It should be in the singular. ‘The fleet of ships moves at a uniform speed’.
- Queen Elizabeth is the monarchess of England.
Explanation: Monarch does not have feminine gender. It is of common gender. ‘Queen Elizabeth is the monarch of England’.
- Aurangzeb’s religious bigotism caused severe harm to the Mughal empire.
Explanation: Aurangzeb’s religious bigotism caused severe harm to the Mughal empire.
- The tin is a precious metal.
Explanation: Tin is a material noun. A material noun does not take an article before it. ‘Tin is a precious metal’.
- The mildwoman said that she would not supply milk on holidays.
Explanation: The feminine for milkman is milkmaid, not milk woman. ‘The milkmaid said that she would not supply milk on holidays’.
- The team camped at Namkum. They followed a rigorous routine.
Explanation: Team like army is a collective noun. Collective nouns are neuter gender . so it takes the pronoun ‘it’.‘The team camped at Namkum. It followed a rigorous routine’.
- Who will win if there is a contest between the dwafrves and the giants.
Explanation: Plural for dwarf is dwarfs. ‘Who will win if there is a contest between the dwarfs and the giants?’.
/ 5. Reviews