Current Affairs 4th & 5th February 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
World Cancer Day :
- World Cancer Day is observed on February 4, 2018. Communities across the world will come together to spread and raise awareness about cancer.
- The primary goal of the day is to reduce the illness and related deaths by 2020.
|Theme 2018||We Can. I can|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Floating Island to clean up Neknampur Lake
- The Floating Treatment Wetland (FTW) was inaugurated in Neknampur Lake in Hyderabad to clean and purify the polluted waterbody.
- Plants planted on FTW can clean the lake by absorbing nitrates and other pollutants in the water.
- FTW is joint effort of NGO Dhruvansh, Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority (HMDA).
|CM||K. Chandrashekar Rao|
|Governor||Ekkadu Srinivasan Lakshminarasimhan|
Assam Govt Signs With NBCC For Twin Tower Trade Centre
- Assam Government has signed a MoU with the National Building Construction Corporation Limited (NBCCL).
- It aims to build a Twin Tower Trade Centre (65 storey) in Guwahati at an investment of Rs. 1950 crores.
- The center has enacted a pro-active ‘Act East Policy’ to elevate and harness the strengths of North- East India and reduce the isolation of the region by improving all-round connectivity and civic infrastructure.
BRO builds world’s highest motorable road:
- The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has constructed world’s highest motorable road in Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The 86-km-long road passing through Umlingla Top is at a height of over 19,300 feet.
|J &k Capital||Srinagar , Jammu|
|CM||Mehbooba Mufti Sayeed|
|Governor||Narinder Nath Vohra|
Indian Army launches Joint Training Node in Shillong:
- Indian Army launched an independent and fully-integrated Joint Training Node (JTN) at Umroi cantonment in Shillong. It aims at hosting foreign armies in joint military exercises.
- It is the first of its kind in eastern command and is different from other joint training centres in Belgaum, Varangte and Bakloh.
- JTN has been envisaged keeping in mind the conducive weather terrain offering optimal training environment, and has been developed at par with training centres of leading armies of the world.
- It will pave away for projecting the states of Meghalaya and Assam on the world map of foreign armies.
Assam got investment proposals of Rs.70,000 crore:
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has said that the state’s first-ever global investors summit ‘Advantage Assam’ has received investment commitments worth nearly 70,000 crore.
- State-owned oil major ONGC committed Rs.13,000 crore investment while Oil India pledged an investment of Rs10,000 crore. Among private companies, Reliance Industries announced an investment of Rs.2,500 crore.
Maharashtra Government Approves New Wildlife Sanctuary At Ghodazari:
- The Maharashtra government has approved Ghodazari in Chandrapur district as a new wildlife sanctuary in the state.
- The decision was taken at the 13th meeting of the Maharashtra State Board for Wildlife, chaired by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis. The sanctuary, in the North East of Tadoba, will include 159 sq km of Brahmapuri forest. This will not only save the forest but will also improve tourism in nearly 40 villages in the area.
Chinamani Vidyasagar rao
Maharashtra to become first state to have Transgender Welfare Board
- The long pending Transgender Welfare Board (TWB) will finally see light of the day with the Maharashtra government making a provision of Rs 5 crore for welfare of the community.
- Minister of State for Social Justice Dilip Kamble told that the Board will be set up in a month’s time.
- It will look after education, employment, housing, and health schemes for transgenders and protect their Constitutional and human rights.
- Maharashtra will be the first such state to have such a Board, the minister said.
Unique floating market comes up in Patuli, Kolkata:
- A unique, first-of-its-kind, floating market has come up in Patuli in Kolkata.
- The market is similar to the ones on Dal Lake in Srinagar and in Bangkok. The project is being implemented by Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA).
West Bengal Capital
Keshari Nath Tripathi
UP government with UNICEF launches DASTAK campaign:
In Uttar Pradesh, State government in association with UNICEF today launched massive door to door campaign DASTAK to eradicate deadly Acute Encephalitis Syndrome and Japanise Encephalitis disease in the state.
Uttar Pradesh Capital
Centre sanctions Rs. 61 crore 74 lakh for new project to control pollution in Sal river in Goa:
The Centre has sanctioned Rs. 61 crore 74 lakh to a new project to control pollution in Sal river at Navelim town in Goa.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : NATIONAL
New National Education Policy panel to submit report by March 31
- The HRD Ministry-appointed panel tasked with drafting a new National Education Policy will submit its report by March 31.
- Informing this, Union Minister of State for Human Resource Development Satyapal Singh said that the Ministry will deliberate on the report and thereafter suggestions of the committee will be presented to the Union Cabinet for its approval.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT SCHEMES
KUSUM scheme to encourage farmers for solar farming
- Power Minister R K Singh announced a Rs 48,000-crore Kisan Urja Suraksha Utthaan Maha Abhiyaan KUSUM scheme.
- The objective is to incentivise farmers to run solar farm water pumps and also use their baron land for generating solar power.
- It has been approved by the EFC (Expenditure Finance Committee) and the Cabinet and it will be launched next fiscal.
- It will aid total solar power generation capacity of 28,250 MW in next 10 years.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT INTERNATIONAL
New Manchester-India Partnership set up in UK to expand trade opportunities:
- A new Manchester-India Partnership (MIP) aimed at connecting Indian companies with the northern regions of England has been set up to further trade, investment, science and innovation ties between India and Britain.
- The Chair of the Manchester-India Partnership is Manchester Airport CEO Andrew Cowan.
- Minister of State in the UK Department for International Trade: Rona Fairhead.
N.Korean art troupe to perform at Olympics under sanctions exemption:
- A North Korean art troupe will likely travel by ship to stage a performance in South Korea for this week’s Winter Olympics under an exemption from bilateral sanctions.
- In May 2010, South Korea banned all North Korean ships from entering its ports and cut off most inter-Korean exchanges, including tourism, trade and aid, in response to a torpedo attack by the North on a navy ship that killed 46 sailors.
|North Korea Capital||Pyongyang|
Nicos Anastasiades becomes President of Cyprus:
- Nicos Anastasiades sworn as the president of Cyprus for 2nd consecutive time.
- Anastasiades has taken credit for steering the economy of Cyprus to recovery after it was plunged into crisis in 2013 by its exposure to debt-wracked Greece and fiscal slippage under a former left-wing administration.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
Singtel to invest $413 million in Bharti Airtel:
- Singapore Telecommunications (SingTel) said it would spend up to $413 million on shares in Bharti Telecom, lifting its stake slightly in the holding company for Bharti Airtel to just under half.
- Singtel has assembled a portfolio of stakes in regional mobile firms outside its small home market, and overseas businesses now account for about 75% of its core earnings.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT SUMMIT
2017 World Youth Forum held in Egypt
- The 2017 World Youth Forum was held at Sharam El Shiekh in Egypt. The 5-day forum was inaugurated by the President of Egypt Mr Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.
- From India, Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Col Rajyavardhan Rathore had participated in the forum.
- The forum aimed to provide platform to youth from all over the globe to engage with key global policy makers. It covered role of youth in business and innovation, challenges and making of future leaders, gender equity and women empowerment among other things.
21st World Congress of Mental Health held in New Delhi:
- The 21st World Congress of Mental Health was held in New Delhi with theme “Partnerships for Mental Health”.
- It was organised by World Federation for Mental Health in partnership with Caring Foundation and other institutions. It was inaugurated by the President of India, Ram Nath Kovind.
- This is for first time SAARC region hosted this conference. It witnessed participation of over 1000 delegates from across world. It held sessions on yoga, meditation and traditional approaches to mental health.
|Theme 2018||Partnerships for Mental Health|
Mega Food India event held in New Delhi:
- India set Guinness world record by cooking 918 kg khichdi, a traditional multi-grain dish during three day World Mega Food India event held in New Delhi.
- Mega Food India was aimed at transforming the food economy and realizing the vision of doubling of farmers’ income by establishing India as a preferred investment destination and sourcing hub.
- It was first time that India hosted such an event for the food processing sector to strengthen its position as a global food factory.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT MOU
ISA, EBRD ink pact on solar energy
- The International Solar Alliance (ISA) and European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) have signed Joint Financial Partnership Declaration for cooperation on renewable energy projects around the world.
- The collaboration between the ISA and the EBRD would also help funding of solar projects both in African and other countries.
|ISA Headquarters||New Delhi India|
|European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: FESTIVAL
1st Ever International Kala Mela Inaugurated In New Delhi:
- The Vice President of India Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu Mela was inaugurated the First ever International Kala in New Delhi.
- The International Kala Mela has been organised by the Lalit Kala Akademi in partnership with IGNCA of the Ministry of Culture. More than 800 artists from across the world took part in the Festival.
India has been invited as the Guest of Honour country for the Janadriyah festival in Saudi Arabia:
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will embark on a three-day visit to Saudi Arabia starting from tomorrow.
- The Ministry of External Affairs said that during the visit, Mrs Swaraj will be leading the Indian delegation for the inauguration of the prestigious National Festival of Saudi Arabia. India has been invited as the Guest of Honour country for the Janadriyah festival.
Saudi Arabia Capital
Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud
CURRENT AFFAIRS : DEFENCE
First defence industrial corridor between Chennai, Bengaluru:
- In the budget 2018 Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said the government will develop two defence industrial production corridors.
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said that the first corridor will link Chennai and Bengaluru and will pass through Coimbatore and several other industrial clusters.
India’s Super Computer Could Aid In Doubling Farmers’ Income:
- India’s most powerful Cray Super Computer – MIHIR – could contribute to the doubling of farmers’ income that will give more accurate weather forecasts.
- The cost of this super computer is Rs. 450 crore.
- MIHIR is housed in a badminton court-sized room at India’s weather office near Delhi, and is capable of performing jobs equivalent to more than 2,500 high-end laptops, all working in tandem.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : BOOKS AND AUTHORS
“A Century is Not Enough”: Autobiography of Sourav Ganguly:
- Former Team India captain Sourav Ganguly’s autobiography is soon-to-be-published and it is named “A Century is Not Enough”.
- The book is co-authored by Gautam Bhattacharya and published by Juggernaut Books.
- The book covers the ups and downs in more than a decade long career of the former Indian captain fondly called ‘Dada’.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
P V Sindhu was defeated by American Between Zhang in India Open 2018:
- India Open is a badminton event held annually at the Siri Fort Sports Complex, New Delhi.
- In women’s singles Defending champion P V Sindhu was defeated by American Beiwen Zhang to finish runner-up at the India Open Super 500 tournament.
IOC says no Olympics for Russians who had life bans lifted:
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has said 15 Russian athletes and staff whose life bans for doping was lifted last week, will not be invited to the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.
- In a statement, IOC said in Pyeongchang, South Korea that a special panel, Olympic Athlete from Russia Implementation Group, unanimously recommended not to extend an invitation to the 15 individuals.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
Veteran Telugu actor Lakshmi Devi passes away
- Veteran Telugu actor Lakshmi Devi Kanakala passed away on February 3 at the age of 78.
- Lakshmi used to be a popular actor in the 1980s. She is known for films such as Prema Bandham and Police Lockup.
BJP MP Hukum Singh passes away
- BJP MP Hukum Singh (79) died, almost a month after he was admitted to the J P Hospital in Noida with severe breathing problems.
- He was an MLA in Uttar Pradesh for seven terms and a minister in the state before entering the Lok Sabha in the 2014 polls.