Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
International Day of Sport for Development and Peace
- The International Day of Sport for Development and Peace (IDSDP) was observed across the world on April 6, 2019. The date commemorates the inauguration of the first ever Olympic games of the modern era in Athens, Greece in 1896.
- The day aims to spread awareness about the positive influence that sports can have on the advancement of human rights and economic development.
World Health Day
- World Health Day is celebrated worldwide every year on 7th April.
- Various programs and arrangements are managed by World Health Organisation. It was first time celebrated in 1950.
- The day is marked as global health awareness day and draw worldwide attention to a specific subject of major importance to global health each year.
|Theme 2019||Universal Health Coverage: Everyone, Everywhere|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Emirates Islamic becomes world’s first Islamic bank to launch banking via WhatsApp
- Emirates Islamic has announced the launch of Chat Banking services for customers via WhatsApp, marking a global first in the Islamic banking sector.
- The bank’s customers will now able to conduct daily banking activities via WhatsApp in a seamless and hassle-free manner.
- The Chat Banking solution, supported by Infobip, further enhances Emirates Islamic’s suite of digital banking channels and allows customers to use features such as checking account balances and temporarily blocking or unblocking of an existing card.
|Emirates Islamic Bank CEO||Salah Amin|
Priority Sector Lending Certificates volume crosses Rs. 3-trillion mark
- The priority sector lending certificates (PSLCs) volume rocketed to Rs. 3.3 trillion in FY19,up from Rs. 1.9 trillion in the last financial year and Rs. 50,000 crore in FY17.
- PSLCs are used to enable banks to achieve the priority sector lending target and sub-targets by purchasing these instruments in the event of shortfall.
- Those falling short of targets have the choice to place money with Nabard and Sidbi at low interest rates or invest in PSLCs issued by fellow lenders which carry higher coupon.
RBI tweaks LCR norms to boost liquidity
- RBI has tweaked liquidity coverage ratio (LCR) norms to provide an additional 2 per cent window to lenders.
- LCR indicates the proportion of highly liquid assets held by banks to ensure their ability to meet short-term obligations.
- RBI has extended the timeline for linking floating interest rates on personal, home, auto and MSEs loans to external benchmarks.
|RBI Governor||Shaktikant Das|
RBI Deputy Governor
|BP Kanungo, N S Vishwanathan, Viral Acharya and Mahesh Kumar Jain|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
David Malpass appointed as President of World Bank
- David Malpass, a senior US Treasury official in President Donald Trump’s administration, was unanimously chosen as the next president of the World Bank.
- He succeeds Jim Yong-Kim who stepped down on February 1.
- Kristalina Georgieva was the interim President of the World Bank during this period from February to March. She is the chief executive officer of the World Bank.
|World Bank President||David Malpass|
Praful Patel becomes 1st Indian Member of FIFA Executive Council
- The All India Football Federation (AIFF) President Praful Patel been elected as the member of the FIFA Executive Council during the 29th Asian Football Confederations (AFC) Congress in Kuala Lampur in Malaysia on April 6, 2019.
- He was one of the eight candidates competing for the spot in the election and received 38 votes out of the 46 voting members.
- India has recently acquired the rights to host the 2020 FIFA Women’s U-17 World Cup.
|FIFA Headquarters||Zurich, Switzerland|
Shaikh Salman re-elected as AFC president
- The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) held its 2019 Congress in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The main purpose of the gathering was to elect the President, Vice President, and FIFA Council members for the next term.
- AFC revealed that they have unanimously re-elected Shaikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa as President for the next term.
- The Bahraini assumed office first in 2013 and will now set to complete a ten-year tenure. He also holds the position of FIFA Vice President currently.
|AFC Headquarters||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|President||Salman Bin Ibrahim Al-Khalifa|
Justice Pradeep Nandrajog takes oath as new Chief Justice of Bombay HC
- Justice Pradeep Nandrajog took oath as the new Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court.
- He was serving as the Chief Justice of the Rajasthan High Court since March 2017, following his transfer from the Delhi High Court.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
NTPC signs Rs. 2,000 cr term loan pact with Canara Bank
- State-run power giant NTPC has inked a term-loan agreement with Canara Bank to raise Rs. 2,000 crore, which would be used to part finance its capital expenditure.
- The loan facility is extended at an interest rate linked to 3-Month MCLR of the Bank.
- In February this year, NTPC had signed a term loan agreement for Rs. 5,000 crore with State Bank of India. The loan facility from SBI was also aimed at part financing the company’s capital expenditure.
|Canara Bank CEO||vacant|
|Tagline||Together we can|
NIIF, ROADIS to create a platform to invest $2 billion in road projects
- National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) and PSP Investment owned ROADIS will together create a platform to invest $2 billion in road projects.
- The platform will invest up to $ 2 billion of equity to target Toll Operate Transfer (TOT) models, acquisitions of existing road concessions and investment opportunities in the road sector with the aim of creating a large roads platform in the country
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Neeraj, Sindhu picked for ESPN India Multi-Sport Awards
- Olympic silver medallist P V Sindhu and star javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra were named as female and male sportsperson of the year in the ESPN India Multi-Sport Awards for their achievements in 2018.
- Sportsperson of the Year (Male) – Neeraj Chopra (athletics)
- Sportsperson of the Year (Female) – P V Sindhu (badminton)
- Comeback of the Year – Saina Nehwal (badminton)
- Coach of the Year – Jaspal Rana (shooting)
- Emerging Sportsperson of the Year – Saurabh Chaudhary (shooting)
- Team of the Year – Women’s team (table tennis)
- Match of the Year – Amit Panghal vs Hasanboy Dusmatov (boxing)
- Differently-abled athlete of the Year – Ekta Bhyan (para-athletics)
- Moment of the Year – Women’s 4x400m relay
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Pradip Kumar Banerjee (football)
Tata Steel gets award at Global Slag Conference & Exhibition
- Tata Steel has been named as the ‘Global Slag Company of the Year’ at the 14th Global Slag Conference and Exhibition 2019.
- The award was presented to Tata Steel for its innovative practices in development of new applications for Steel by-products (Slag).
- The conference, held recently in Aachen, Germany, was one of the largest global annual slag event, attended by major steelmakers, steel mill service providers & associated companies.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MERGER AND ACQUISITION
Bank of India to sell 25% stake in life insurance JV SUD Life Insurance for Rs. 1,106 crore
- Public sector lender Bank of India offered to sell a 25 per cent stake in its joint venture company Star Union Dai-ichi Life Insurance Co Ltd for approximately Rs. 1,106 crore ($159.87 million).
- Star Union Dai-ichi Life Insurance Co. Ltd. (SUD Life) is a joint venture (JV) of Bank of India, Union Bank of India and Dai-ichi Life, a leading life insurance company of Japan.
- Bank of India to sell 6.49 crore shares, or 25.02 per cent stake, in Star Union Dai-ichi Life Insurance Co at a floor price of 170.50 per share.
|Bank of India CEO||Dinabandhu Mohapatra|
|Tagline||Relationships beyond Banking|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
3-day National Cardiology Conference held at Lucknow
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the National Cardiology Conference 2019 being held at Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of medical sciences.
- The 3-day conference organised by Dept of Cardiology in which leading national and international experts from Europe, USA, Japan, Singapore South Korea, Indonesia and Australia will deliberate on the latest topics of Interventional cardiology and cutting edge technology.
- The conference being held for the first time in Uttar Pradesh offers an opportunity to showcase newer innovations in Cardiology that can help deliver cost-effective cardiology care to patients.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Morocco-US joint military exercise ‘African Lion 2019’ starts In Morocco
- The Morocco-US sponsored exercise “African Lion 2019” takes place from March 16 to April 7, 2019, in Morocco
- The annual exercise involves various types of training including command, maneuvering, peace-keeping and aerial refuelling
- The drills also include training on counter-terrorism operations, land and air exercises as well as a tactical simulation
|Morocco Currency||Moroccan dirham|
|Morocco President||Saadeddine Othmani|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Complete Winners list of Malaysia Open 2019
- The2019 Malaysia Open, officially the CELCOM AXIATA Malaysia Open 2019, is a badminton tournament which takes place at Axiata Arena in Malaysia from 2 to 7 April 2019 and has a total purse of $700,000.
|Men’s Single||Lin Dan (China)||Chen Long (China)|
|Women’s Single||Tai Tzu-Ying (Taiwan)||Akane Yamaguchi (Japan)|
|Men’s doubles||Li Junhui and Liu Yuchen||Takeshi Kamura and Keigo Sonoda|
|Women’s doubles||Chen Qingchen and Jia Yifan||Du Yue and Li Yinhue|
|Mixed doubles||Zheng Siwei and Huang Yaqiong||Wang Yilu and Huang Dongping|
China wins both singles title at Asian Cup Table Tennis Tournament 2019
- The 2019 ITTF-ATTU Asian Cup was the 32nd edition of the table tennis competition held from 5–7 April in Yokohama, Japan.
- The tournament had Men’s singles and women’s singles events only, both of which were dominated by China.
- Fan Zhendong (China) and Zhu Yuling (China) won the Gold medal in Men’s and women’s single category respectively.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Malaysian golfer Irawan passed away
- Malaysian golfer Arie Irawan was found dead in his hotel room during the Sanya Championship on the Chinese resort island of Hainan.
- The 28-year-old appeared to have died of natural causes
Former SA Women all-rounder Elriesa Theunissen-Fourie passed away
- Former South Africa Women all rounder, Elriesa Theunissen-Fourie,has passed away
- She represented South Africa in three One-Day Internationals and one T20I in 2013. The medium pacer was even part of South Africa’s 2013 World Cup squad.
Noted Tamil Scholar and orator Silamboli Su. Chellappan dies
- Noted Tamil Scholar and orator Silamboli Su. Chellappan died due to age-related illness at his residence in Kalashetra Colony, Thiruvanmiyur.
- He began his career as a mathematics teacher and later obtained a doctorate in Tamil. He held posts such as director of Tamil Development and founder-director of World Tamil Research Centre.
Nobel Prize-winning biologist Sydney Brenner passed away
- Sydney Brenner, a South African-born, Nobel Prize-winning biologist has passed away
- He was jointly won the 2002 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for “discoveries concerning genetic regulation of organ development and programmed cell death”.