Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
UN World Pulses Day
- The WorldPulses Day is a day established by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) to recognize the importance of the legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas, peas and lupines among others) as a global food.
- February 10, 2019, was celebrated as the first World Pulses Day.
National Deworming Day: Children, adolescents to receive single dose of Albendazole
- The National Deworming Day (NDD) is being observed on 10TH February across the country. Children and adolescents in the age group of 1-19 years will be administered single dose of a safe medicine Albendazole in all states and Union Territories on the occasion.
- Organized by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, the objective of the day is to deworm children and adolescents to reduce the prevalence of parasitic worms in the intestine. It ensures that the worms are no longer a public health problem.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Ek Bharat Shreshth Bharat Campaign gets underway across country
- An 18 day long focused Ek Bharat Shreshth Bharat Campaign gets underway across the country. The campaign, being organised by the Information and Broadcasting Ministry, will continue till 28th of this month.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had mooted the idea of a cultural connect between different regions during the Rashtriya Ekta Divas held in 2015. The broad objectives of Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat include celebrating the Unity in Diversity of our nation and promoting the spirit of national integration through engagement between all states and union territories.
- During this period, they carry out a structured engagement with one another in the spheres of language, literature, cuisine, festivals, cultural events, and tourism.
- The paired states and union territories sign MoUs with each other, delineating a set of activities that they would carry out.An activity calendar for each pair is prepared through mutual consultation, paving the way for a year long process of mutual engagement. The current pairings will continue till June this year.
- After the creation of union territory of Ladakh, it has been paired along with Jammu and Kashmir with Tamil Nadu. Punjab has been paired with Andhra Pradesh, Uttarakhand with Karnataka, Himachal Pradesh with Kerala, Delhi with Sikkim, and Rajasthan with Assam.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Iran launches satellite, fails to put it into orbit
- Iran launched a satellite but failed to put it into orbit in a blow to its space programme. The attempted launch of the Zafar comes days before the 41st anniversary of the Islamic Revolution and crucial parliamentary elections in Iran on February 21.
- Telecommunications Minister Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi admitted soon after that the launch has failed. Iran also unveiled a new a short-range ballistic missile and its new generation of engines designed to put satellites into space.
Bangladesh: 5th Dhaka Art Summit inaugurated
- The fifth edition of the biennial art extravaganza of Bangladesh, Dhaka Art Summit was inaugurated by State Minister for Cultural Affairs of Bangladesh K M Khalid.
- Varied art-forms including live performance, photography and painting will be brought together during the festival which will continue upto 15th February.
More than 500 artists, sculptors, architects and art professionals from various countries are participating in the Summit.
- The Summit will also featuring live events, panel discussions and puppet shows among other things.
This year’s programmes also include a special exhibition on the life of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman to pay tribute to Bangabandhu on the occasion of his birth centenary. Dhaka Art Summit is the premier art festival of Bangladesh.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
RBI moots customer protection agency for digital payments sector
- With digital payments now a part of everyday life for a large number of Indians, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced that it will prepare the way for an agency that will look after the interests of digital payment system customers and their security.
- The rapid adoption of digital modes of payment for according to the central bank, the agency will be a self-regulatory organisation that will promote best practices in various aspects of the ecosystem, including customer protection, pricing and security. Wide spectrum of transactions has also led to a commensurate increase in the number of avenues available for exploitation by fraudsters.
- According to government data, digital payment frauds account for nearly half of all bank frauds in India. Finance ministry data shows that frauds related to ATM, debit cards, credit cards and internet banking transactions of over Rs 1 lakh have surged sharply over the past few years, going from 1,367 frauds in FY17 to 2,127 in FY18 and 1,477 frauds in FY19.
- With substantial growth in digital payments and maturity gained by entities in the payment ecosystem, it is desirable to have a Self-Regulatory Organisation (SRO) for orderly operations of the entities. The RBI will put in place a framework for establishing an SRO by April 2020 with a view to fostering best practices on security, customer protection and pricing. The SRO will serve as a two-way communication channel between the players and the regulator/supervisoran RBI statement
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Amazon to set up two data centres in Telangana with USD 1.6 billion investment
- In what is being seen as a massive investment by Amazon in Telangana, the tech giant has sought environmental clearance for the construction of two data centres at a cost of Rs 11,624 crore ($1.6 billion).The data centres are expected to come up at two locations on the outskirts of Hyderabad in Ranga Reddy district. More than 90 per cent of the investment would go towards the high-end computer and storage equipment that would be housed at these two data centres.
- They would help in developing an Amazon Web Services region in Telangana.While one data centre is proposed at Chandanvelly village in Shabad mandal, the other is proposed at Meerkhanpet village in Kandukur mandal, which is already part of the land parcel under Hyderabad Pharma City project of the State government.
- The proposals by the Amazon Data Services India Private Limited (ADSIPL) seeking environmental clearance for constructing the data centres have already been recommended by the State Expert Appraisal Committee (SEAC) of Telangana at its meeting held on January 31.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
CM Jagan Mohan Reddy opens Andhra’s first Disha police station at Rajamahendravaram
- Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy inaugurated the first Disha police station in the state at Rajamahendravaram in East Godavari district.
- Jagan also launched an app for women in distress to get immediate response from the police.
- The AP state government, after the alleged gang-rape and brutal killing of a veterinarian in neighbouring Telangana last year, came up with the Disha Act which envisages completion of investigation into heinous sexual assaults on women and children in seven days and trial in 14 working days, where there is adequate conclusive evidence, thereby reducing the total judgement time to 21 days.
- Fast track courts will also be set up in the 13 districts for speedy delivery of justice.
- The Jagan government has planned 18 exclusive Disha police stations — one each in 13 district headquarters and the other five in Police Commissionerate limits — and the first of them was inaugurated in Rajamahendravaram.
- Jagan launched the app and had first-hand experience of its functioning. Once a woman sends an SOS through the app, people at the call centre immediately alert the police vehicle near the victim or complainant’s location. The police personnel in the vehicle, who include a woman police constable, will reach the location through GPS tracking and provide the necessary help to the victim.
About Andhra Pradesh
- Capital– Amaravati, Vishakapatnam, Kurnool
- Governor– Biswabhusan Harichandan
- National Park– Sri Venkateswara National Park , Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
1000 Kudumbashree hotels to serve meals at Rs 25: Kerala budget
- Kerala government unveiled an initiative of setting up 1,000 ‘Kudumbashree’ hotels to provide subsidised Kerala meals at Rs 25 while presenting its budget for 2020-21.
- Kudumabshree has also entered into an agreement for manufacturing products such as umbrella, coconut products and curry powders on cluster basis with common name and selling it through the outlets of the Civil Supplies Corporation.
- Apart from this ₹6,000 crore has been allocated towards infra projects; among others.
- As per Kerala government’s Economic Survey for 2018-2019, state’s Gross Domestic Product pegged at 7.5% as against 7.3% in 2017-18.
- Capital– Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister– Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor- Arif Mohammad Khan
Haryana launches Rs 1500 crore Mukhyamantri Parivartan Yojna
- Haryana Chief Minister, Manohar Lal launched “Mukhyamantri Parivar Samridhi Yojna”.
- Under this scheme, annual financial assistance of Rs 6000 will be provided to those families in the State whose annual income is upto Rs 1.80 lakh and land holding is less than 5 acres so that premium of various welfare schemes of the Central Government, pension scheme and crop insurance could be paid automatically from the bank accounts of the needy families.
- The Chief Minister also transferred the amount under the scheme to five beneficiaries present on the occasion through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT).
- The amount would be transferred into the bank accounts of these families in two equal installments of Rs 2000 each, (total of Rs 4000) while the third installment of Rs 2000 would be transferred in the month of March.
- The premium of various welfare schemes of the government which are being given to the beneficiaries family out of the financial assistance of Rs 6000 included Pradhanmantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojna, Pradhanmantri Jeevan Suraksha Bima Yojna, Pradhan Mantri Kisan Mandhan Yojna, Pradhanmantri Shram Yogi Mandhan Yojna and Pradhanmantri Laghu Vyapari Mandhan Yojna and Pradhanmantri Fasal Bima Yojna. For remaining amount, the beneficiary could either opt for Provident Fund or get cash payment.
- Capital- Chandigarh
- Governor- Satyadev Narayan Arya
Other Schemes launched by Haryana
- Mukhyamantri Vyapari Samuhik Niji Durghatna Beema Yojana
- Mukhyamantri Vyapari Kshatipurti Beema Yojana
Mega industrial exhibition in Vadodara from February 15
- In a bid to promote ‘Made in India’ products, the Federation of Small Scale Industries (FSSI) will organise a mega industrial exhibition here in Gujarat from February 15.
- Over 10,000 industrial products will be showcased in more than 300 stalls at the sixth ‘Engiexpo 2020’.
- The exhibition will showcase various products, including weighing, welding and cutting tools, products related to construction work, electronic and solar items, and packaging material.
- It will provide business opportunities for industries in the information technology, finance, hardware, agriculture and automobile sectors.
- Several companies from Uzbekistan have also shown their interest in participating in the exhibition
UP govt to launch internship scheme for school college students
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath government will introduce an internship scheme for students of class 10 and 12 as well as those pursing graduation to brighten their employment prospects.
- A job fair organised by the Department of Labour and Employment Exchange at Gorakhpur University.
- Under the scheme, students will be linked to various technical institutes and industries.
- Each youth who will do internship for 6 months and one year will be given Rs 2,500 as honorarium every month.
- Of this, Rs 1,500 will be given by the central government and Rs 1,000 by the state government. After the completion of internship, the government will also help the youth in getting jobs and an HR cell will also be created.
Jashpur is Chhattisgarh’s first tobacco-free town
- Jashpur city, situated in north-east of Chhattisgarh capital Raipur, has been declared as the first tobacco (smoke) free town, achieved though widespread awareness campaign, strict compliance and enforcement of tobacco control regulations.
- A two-day extensive research and inspection were carried out by a survey team of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (Master of Public Health Course Co-ordination) on 22-23 January 2020. The team cross-examined the ground situation keeping in perspective the guidelines of Section 4 of the Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products Act, 2003 (COTPA) that prohibits smoking in public places.
- The directorate of health services in Chhattisgarh after going through the observation report submitted by the survey team had certified Jashpur town as first tobacco-free in the state.
- The measures undertaken by the district administration has been cited to be in compliance with the tobacco control Act.
Chhattisgarh to impose permanent ban on hookah bars
- The Chhattisgarh government has decided to impose a permanent ban on hookah bars across the state and will soon declare the license issued for running hookah centres “illegal”. Taking a decision the Bhupesh Baghel cabinet stated that the order on issuing ban will soon be taken by the urban administration department.
- In recent years the Chhattisgarh state has witnessed a substantial increase in the hookah bars coming up in different towns. According to the officials, over a thousand hookah centres are run merely on the basis of Gumasta license in the state.
- There were complaints on school students, children and youths, ignorant about the deleterious side effects, found hooked to the hookah bars, most of them operating illegally. The state government took cognisance and decided to ban it.
- The state government’s move is seen as an attempt to check the rising trend of hookah bars as also to discourage the use of tobacco among youngsters.
- The state government is likely to enact a law against illegal hookah bars to check the rapid flourishing of hookah parlours in the state. There is no specific law in Chattisgarh to monitor or prevent the functioning of hookah bars.
The state cabinet has also decided to close 49 liquor shops- a move the state government hints on gradual prohibition.
Tripura: Hornbill festival begins with aim to raise awareness for bird conservation
- The first-ever hornbill festival in Tripura has begun with an aim to raise awareness among people for bird conservation.
- Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb inaugurated the two-day festival at Barmura Eco park.
- Many tourists including foreigners will visit the park as a new conservation centre for hornbills is the major attraction.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Mumbai Girl Youngest In World To Climb South America’s Highest Peak
- Kaamya Karthikeyan, a class seven student of Navy Children School (NCS) in Mumbai, became the youngest girl in the world to summit Mt Aconcagua, the highest peak in South America.
- At 6962 metres, Mt. Aconcagua is the highest peak outside Asia.
- She has also summited Mt Mentok Kangri II.
- She started mountaineering at the age of 3 with basic treks in Lonavala. When she was 9 years old, she had completed several high-altitude treks in the Himalayan region. She is also the youngest mountaineer to summit Mt Everest. By 2021, she aims to complete “Explorers Grand Slam”
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
African Union 2020 Summit Commences
- The annual African Union Summit has kicked off in Addis Ababa. This 33rd Ordinary Summit, which commenced on 21st January, will run until the 10th of February.
- The summit is being held under the African Union’s theme for the year 2020 Silencing the Guns: Creating Conducive Conditions For Africa’s Development.
- Silencing the Guns is a commitment to achieve the Aspirations of Africa’s Agenda 2063, specifically Aspiration 4, which envisions a peaceful and secure Africa, thereby making peace a reality for African people.
- The Peace and Security Council of the Africa Union intervened with the Sudan’s Revolution and also helped to produce an agreement between Central African Republic and the rebels.
The 2020 summit has adopted 8 resolutions as follows
- Compromise with the United Nations over co-funding in peace operations
- To support elections in Ethiopia and to mediate events of disputes
- To deter leaders in Guinea to use Constitutional Amendments to hold on to power
- To help to calm Burkina Faso’s insurgency
- To push Somali Government towards regional compromise
- To press East African heads to support South Sudan peace process
- To support Sudan transition by supporting deal between civilian leaders and security forces.
The 23rd Edition of National Conference on e-Governance inaugurated in Mumbai
- The 23rdedition of the annual National Conference on e-Governance has been inaugurated by Minister for Environment, Tourism & Protocol, Government of Maharashtra, Shri Aaditya Thackeray at National Sports Club of India (NSCI) Worli, Mumbai.
- The two-day conference on e-governance has been organized by DARPG and MeitY in association with Department of Information & Technology, Government of Maharashtra this year.
- The theme of the conference was: India 2020: Digital Transformation.
- The Government needs to serve the citizens on line and not in-line (queue in front of Government offices) and hence the significance of a digital platform. With the growing change in scenario making positive impact in both Government and private sector, this conference encourages to improve delivery of public services by promoting the use of digital platforms. Health, Agriculture, Education and Land are the priority sectors identified for Public Digital Platforms. Also successful e-Governance solutions that use emerging technologies likeBlockchain, Quantum Computing, Artificial Intelligence are also being discussed.
- He also launched the ‘Blockchain Sandbox –Maharashtra’, which will be used for various applications to enhance efficiency in e-Governance. The main attraction ofBlockchain is the security offered by distributed ledger technologies, efficiency of internal system and reduced time and labour in execution of departmental tasks.
- Around 800 participants, that include Central Government and 17 states alongwith private participants from industry, have registered for the two-day conference.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Indian Army Major develops world’s first bulletproof helmet
- An Indian Army has developed the world’s first bulletproof helmet which withstands even an AK-47 bullet round from a distance of 10 meters. Earlier, Major Anoop Mishra had developed a bulletproof jacket against sniper bullets.
- Anoop Mishra is a part of the Indian Army’s College of Military Engineering and had got into the development of bulletproof jackets after he had received gunshots on his vintage bulletproof jacket.
- The Indian Army’s College of Military Engineering has also developed India’s first and world’s cheapest gunshot locator. The device can locate the exact location of the bullet from a distance of 400 meters which will help to locate and neutralize terrorist faster.
DRDO inks deal with Russian company for missiles propulsion systems
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) signed a technology development contract with a Russian company Rosoboron export at DefExpo2020.
- DRDO’s High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL) signed contract with Rosoboronexport for development of Advanced Pyrotechnic Ignition Systems.
- This will enable advancement in the field of energetic materials and pyrotechnic technology leading to the development of advanced ignition systems.
- HEMRL is the DRDO laboratory working in the development of spectrum of high energy materials required for missiles, rockets and guns.
- This technology development will facilitate design and development of the state of art solid rocket motors for upcoming products
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Bangladesh beat India to win maiden Under-19 World Cup
- Bangladesh beat India by three wickets to win maiden ICC U-19 World Cup cricket title by Duckworth-Lewis method last night in South Africa. In a low-scoring final, Bangladesh first restricted India to a meagre 177 in 47.2 overs and then did well enough to score a revised target of 170 in 42.1 overs.
- For India, Yashaswi Jaiswal scored 88 runs off 121 balls. Bangladeshi skipper Akbar Ali was declared the Player of the Match for his captaincy and match-winning unbeaten 43.
Haryana thrashes SAI to win 10th Hockey Senior Women National C’ship
- Haryana thrashed Sports Authority of India (SAI) 6-0 to win the 10th Hockey India Senior Women National Championship 2020 (A Division) title at
- Madhya Pradesh Hockey Academy beat Hockey Maharashtra 2-1 in the third-fourth place play-off match.
Ladakh Scouts Regimental Centre Red wins 1st Khelo India Ice Hockey tournament
- The Ladakh Scouts Regimental Centre (LSRC) Red won the first Men’s section Khelo India Ice Hockey tournament 2020.
- They defeated Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) team 3-2 in a nail biting thriller final match.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Padma Shri awardee Giriraj Kishore passes away
- Well-known Hindi novelist and Padma Shri awardee Giriraj Kishore passed away following a cardiac arrest.
- Giriraj Kishore was best known for his novel ”Pehla Girmitiya” that was based on Mahatma Gandhi”s stay in South Africa.
- He was awarded the Padma Shri by the President of India and was the recipient of the Sahitya Akademi award. He was also conferred the Vyas Samman in 2000, and an honorary Ph.D. by Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj University in 2002.
Veteran RSS pracharak P Parameswaran passes away
- Parameswaran, one of the senior-most ‘pracharaks‘ (Promoter) of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and former leader of the erstwhile Bharatiya Jana Sangh, passed away.
- Parameswaran had worked with leaders like Deendayal Upadhyaya, Atal Bihari Vajpayee and L K Advani.
- He was honoured with Padma Vibhushan, country’s 2nd-highest civilian award in 2018 and Padma Shri in 2004.
Robert Conrad, Two-Fisted TV Star of ‘Wild Wild West,’ passes away
- Robert Conrad, a television tough guy best known for his lead role in the mid-1960s series “The Wild Wild West,” passed away.
- He was also well served early on by his ability — at least by the not very rigorous standards of the late 1950s — to affect an ethnically ambiguous character.
Former Bengal power minister Sankar Sen passes away at 92
- Former West Bengal Power Minister and former Vice-Chancellor of Jadavpur University Sankar Sen died at a south Kolkata nursing home following old age problems, family sources.
- Sen (92), a noted electrical engineer who was credited with having largely resolved in the 1990s the problem of frequent load shedding in the state, left behind two daughters.
- Sen won the State Assembly polls from the Dum Dum constituency as a CPI-M candidate in 1991 and 1996. He was made the power minister in the fourth Left Font government of chief minister Jyoti Basu, at a time the government was finding it difficult to grapple with the problem of power shortage.
DAILY CA 8th FEB
- India-Central Asia business council launched
- More than 1.27 cr pads of Suvidha Sanitary Napkins sold through Jan Aushadhi Kendras
- Govt launched NCAP as a long-term national level strategy to tackle air pollution: Babul Supriyo
- SC appoints retired Kerala HC judge to prepare inventory of ornaments at Sabarimala temple
- US India’s preferred trade partner in journey to be $5 trn economy: Envoy
- LIC new biz premium crosses Rs 1.5L-cr-mark
- Income tax dept launches e-calculator to compare due tax under new, old regime
- RBI to conduct first repo operation on February 17 for Rs 25,000 crore
- WhatsApp gets NCPI nod to launch digital payments platform WhatsApp Pay, say reports
- Gehlot government to create separate identity card for transgender community in Rajasthan
- Jammu and Kashmir government to announce horticulture policy
- Telangana CM inaugurates JBS-MGBS corridor-II of Hyderabad Metro Rail
- Energy department sanctions Rs 740 crore
- Emami inks pact with Nirma group arm to sell cement biz for Rs 5,500 crore
- UP government signs 23 MoUs worth Rs 50,000 crore during DefExpo
- Britain appoints Karen Pierce as next ambassador to U.S.
- Philip Barton appointed Britain’s new High Commissioner to India
- Credit Suisse CEO Tidjane Thiam exits after spying scandal
- Sridhar Vembu, Kiran Majumdar Shaw, Keshav Murugesh among 17 shortlisted for EY award
- IIT Madras to join hands with AIIMS Mangalagiri for quality healthcare delivery
- BDL introduces new missile at DefExpo-2020
- Weightlifting: Chandrakant Mali creates 3-records in his men’s 109kg title victory
- Shooting: Ayushi Podder wins women’s 50 metres Rifle 3 Positions
- Veteran cricket journalist Raju Bharatan passes away
DAILY CA 9th AND 10TH FEB
- UN World Pulses Day-10TH february
- National Deworming Day: Children, adolescents to receive single dose of Albendazole
- Ek Bharat Shreshth Bharat Campaign gets underway across country
- Iran launches satellite, fails to put it into orbit
- Bangladesh: 5th Dhaka Art Summit inaugurated
- RBI moots customer protection agency for digital payments sector
- Amazon to set up two data centres in Telangana with USD 1.6 billion investment
- CM Jagan Mohan Reddy opens Andhra’s first Disha police station at Rajamahendravaram
- 1000 Kudumbashree hotels to serve meals at Rs 25 :Kerala budget
- Haryana launches Rs 1500 crore Mukhyamantri Parivartan Yojna
- Mega industrial exhibition in Vadodara from February 15
- UP govt to launch internship scheme for school college students
- Jashpur is Chhattisgarh’s first tobacco-free town
- Chhattisgarh to impose permanent ban on hookah bars
- Tripura: Hornbill festival begins with aim to raise awareness for bird conservation
- Mumbai Girl Youngest In World To Climb South America’s Highest Peak
- African Union 2020 Summit Commences
- The 23rd Edition of National Conference on e-Governance inaugurated in Mumbai
- Indian Army Major develops world’s first bulletproof helmet
- DRDO inks deal with Russian company for missiles propulsion systems
- Bangladesh beat India to win maiden Under-19 World Cup
- Haryana thrashes SAI to win 10th Hockey Senior Women National C’ship
- Ladakh Scouts Regimental Centre Red wins 1st Khelo India Ice Hockey tournament
- Padma Shri awardee Giriraj Kishore passes away
- Veteran RSS pracharak P Parameswaran passes away
- Robert Conrad, Two-Fisted TV Star of ‘Wild Wild West,’passes away
- Former Bengal power minister Sankar Sen passes away at 92