Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Central govt issues advisory to States/ UTs to implement vehicle registration system
- Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has issued an advisory to all States to implement the system of vehicle registration as per Rules notified under the Central Motor Vehicle Act 1988.
- The advisory was issued after it came to the notice of the Ministry that in some States, vehicles are not being registered in spite of vehicles having Valid Type Approval certificates.
- The Advisory states, that the VAHAN system provides a mechanism for the inventory of vehicles being uploaded by the vehicle manufacturers against valid type-approval certificates. It stated, unless and until there are reasons for disputing the specifications of vehicles supplied, the pre-inspection of a model of vehicle, already type-approved should not be resorted to as it leads to unnecessary delay and harassment.
- The Ministry has asked the Transport Departments of States and UTs to implement the system of registration of vehicles based on the production of type approval certificate and Form 22. Form 22 is a quality certificate for compliance with pollution standards, safety standards of components and roadworthiness.
NIFM, Faridabad renamed ‘Arun Jaitley National Institute of Financial Management’
- The Centre has decided to rename the National Institute of Financial Management (NIFM), Faridabad, as ‘Arun Jaitley National Institute of Financial Management’ (AJNIFM).
- NIFM, Faridabad was set up in 1993 as a registered society under the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance, with the mandate to train officers of various finance and accounts services recruited by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) through the Civil Services Examination, as also officers of the Indian Cost Accounts Service (ICoAS). The Union Finance Minister is the President of the NIFM society.
- The late Jaitley had played a stellar role during his career as the Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs from May 2014 to May 2019, said an official release. He oversaw the introduction of the GST regime and the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code. Under his stewardship, the Railway budget was merged with the general budget, the release further noted.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
US President Donald Trump to visit India on February 24-25
- United States President Donald Trump will be coming to India later this month on a two-day visit. This would be Trump’s maiden trip to India as the President of the United States.
- White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham stated in Washington that the President and First Lady Melania Trump will travel to New Delhi and Ahmedabad during the visit scheduled on 24th and 25th February.
- during a phone call over the weekend, President Trump and Prime Minister Narendra Modi have agreed that the trip would further strengthen the India-US strategic partnership and highlight the strong and enduring bonds between the American and Indian people.President Trump’s trip to India is significant in view of the ongoing bilateral trade conflicts and various other issues including maintaining international global order in Indo-Pacific.
- It stated that the department is expanding military-to-military cooperation and improving interoperability with India, including establishment of a new tri-service amphibious exercise TIGER TRIUMPH. Mr Trump’s predecessor Barack Obama had travelled to India twice, in 2010 and 2015.
First ‘Jerusalem-Mumbai Festival’ to be held in Mumbai on February 15
- The first ‘Jerusalem-Mumbai Festival’ will be held in the capital of Maharashtra to showcase the special links between the two cities and to promote ties between India and Israel.
- The two-day festival starting on February 15 will seek to promote artistic cooperation in the diverse fields of culture, such as culinary art, music and dance.
- In the first such collaborative cultural event for the Jerusalem municipality in an Asian city, Jerusalem-Mumbai Festival looks to showcase the special links between the two cities while demonstrating their unique cultural traditions.
- The festival creates a platform for future fruitful cooperation among artists, as well as in various potential fields, such as tourism, cinema, high-tech, the official said.
- The festival will take place on the lawns of the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya Museum.
- Prime minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
- Capital: Jerusalem
- Currency: Israeli new shekel
US proposes USD 1.5 billion for Indo-Pacific to ensure region remains ‘free and open’
- The Trump administration has proposed USD 5 billion in budgetary allocation for 2021 fiscal for the crucial Indo-Pacific region, which it said was part of its efforts to ensure that the region remains “free, open, and independent of malign Chinese influence”.
- “The future of the Indo-Pacific, which contains roughly half the world’s population and many of the fastest-growing economies, is critical to US security and long-term economic interests,” the White House said in its budgetary proposal for the financial year 2021, beginning October 1, 2020.
- “The Budget provides 5 billion for the Indo-Pacific, reflecting a strong Administration commitment to ensuring that the region remains free, open, and independent of malign Chinese influence.
- This funding supports democracy programs, strengthens security cooperation, improves economic governance and facilitates private sector-led economic growth.
- A total of USD 30 million is included in the budget for the global engagement centre dedicated to countering foreign state and non-state propaganda and disinformation from China.
- The budget also provides USD 0.8 billion for the International Development Finance Corporation (DFC) for private sector development internationally to support corporate growth in less-developed countries and to provide a transparent, high-quality alternative to “predatory Chinese international lending” in the Indo-Pacific and other strategic regions, it said.
- Capital: Washington, D.C.
- President: Donald Trump
- Currency: United States Dollar
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Lending from CRR buffer to get 5-year exemption: RBI
- The Reserve Bank of India has stated that the special lending window with Cash Reserve Ratio exemption will be open from 14th of February and incremental loans disbursed under this facility will have CRR exemption for the next five years.
- The central bank circular issued in Mumbai stated that the window will open for six months ending 31st of July this year, but the Net Demand and Time Liabilities (NDTL) will be calculated as of 31st of January.
- It asked banks to report the CRR exemption availed at the end of a fortnight under exemptions/others in the Section 42 return, under the provisions of the master circular on CRR and SLR issued on 1st of July, 2015.
- Headquarters location: Mumbai
- Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
GST collection for last 3-months amounted to over Rs 1 lakh cr each month
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has stated that GST collection all through the country for the last three months amounted to more than a lakh crore rupees each month.
- she told that no state was sidelined when it came to sharing of revenue from the tax. She stated arrears of share in GST including Tamil Nadu will be paid in two installments. Any issue with regard to GST is placed before the GST council for discussion.
- The Government has allocated two lakh 83 thousand crore rupees for the development of rural areas and agriculture by way of 16 salient points.
- She stated that the architectural museum of Adicha nallur mentioned in budget was done with the suggestion from Tamilnadu Government. Keezhadi, another architectural site has been developed further by the State Government.
- Goods and Services Tax is an indirect tax used in India on the supply of goods and services. It is a comprehensive, multistage, destination based tax: comprehensive because it has subsumed almost all the indirect taxes except a few state taxes.
- The tax came into effect from 1 July 2017 through the implementation of the One Hundred and First Amendment of the Constitution of India by the Indian government. The GST replaced existing multiple taxes levied by the central and state governments.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Realme PaySa partners NPCI, HDFC Bank
- Realme PaySa, the financial services app for smartphone brand Realme, has joined hand with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), an innovative solutions provider for retail payment systems, and the country’s largest private lender HDFC Bank to conduct UPI hackathon.
- These leading organisations will judge the most promising UPI solution in a finale to be held in Mumbai on May 11, 2020. The winner and the runner-up of the hackathon will have their innovative solutions implemented for Realme PaySa and win Rs 10 lakh and Rs 5 lakh respectively.
- The financial services provider will be offering mentoring and doubt-clearing Webinars and physical sessions in select cities for a period extending up to a month for all participants. Top selected finalists will also be entitled to a dedicated tech resource to help them hone their skills and come up with a polished and innovative solution.
- The National Payments Corporation of India is an umbrella organisation for operating retail payments and settlement systems in India.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: 2008
- Non-Exe Chairman :Biswamohan Mahapatra
- MD & CEO :Dilip Asbe
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Ministry of Civil Aviation Flags Off 1st Helicopter Service under UDAN in Uttarakhand
- Ministry of Civil Aviation(MoCA) operationalised the first-ever helicopter services from Dehradun’s Sahastradhara helipad to Gauchar, and Chinyalisaur under the Regional Connectivity Scheme – Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik (RCS-UDAN) of Government of India.
- The inauguration of the helicopter routes in the Uttarakhand region is in line with the objective of the Ministry of Civil Aviation to enhance the aerial connectivity of the hilly areas in the country.
- MoCA awarded the Sahastradhara-Gauchar-Chinyalisaur route to Heritage Aviation under the UDAN 2 bidding process. Heritage Aviation will operate twice daily helicopter services from Sahastradhara to Gauchar and Chinyalisaur. For the Heli services, Viability Gap Funding (VGF) is provided under UDAN to keep the fares affordable for the common people. The State Government of Uttarakhand is also providing additional incentives to make the scheme more attractive.
- The fare from route will be Rs 4,120 will be the fare per person from Sahastradhara to Gauchar route, and the fare from Sahastradhara to Chinyalisaur will be Rs 3,350 and the Sahastradhara-Gauchar-Chinyalisaur route become 260 operational route under UDAN connectivity scheme.
- And in Future Pawan Hans Limited (PHL) is going to conduct the Operational Helicopter Service for the route of Dehradun’s Jolly Grant Airport- New Tehri, Srinagar-Gauchar.
- Capital- Dehradun
- Governor- Baby Rani maurya
- CM-Trivendra Singh Rawat
- National Park -Jim Corbett NP, Gangotri NP, Nanda Devi NP, Rajaji NP
Tamil Nadu govt decides to declare Cauvery Delta Region as protected special agricultural zone
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi Palaniswamy has stated, the Cauvery Delta Region in the state will be declared a protected special agricultural
- He laid the foundation stone for what is touted as Asia’s largest livestock farm at Thalaivasal village near his hometown Salem .
- In his address, the Chief Minister stated he will talk to his legal team to bring a special law to make the Delta region a protected zone.
Recent news related to Tamil Nadu:
- Organ Donation Awards on the occasion of 10th National Organ Donation Day in a programme held at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi. Tamil Nadu bagged- Best State Award in cadaveric organ donation. The state won the award for the fifth consecutive year.
- ADB, India sign $451 million loan to strengthen Power Connectivity in Tamil Nadu
- Govt propose to set up new rocket launch pad near Kulasekarapattinam in Tamil Nadu
- ADB to give $451Mn for Chennai-Kanyakumari Industrial Corridor power links
Lt Governor of J&K to head reconstituted Science Technology and Innovation Council
- Lieutenant Governor G C Murmu will head 24 members reconstituted Jammu and Kashmir Science Technology and Innovation Council (STIC). Members of the council include five representatives from Jammu and Kashmir government, 10 from universities and research and development institutions and eight from the Science and Technology Department of the Central Government. Chief Secretary J&K B V R Subrahmanyam has been nominated as the chairman of the six-member executive committee of STIC.
- J&K STIC endeavors to harness the potential of science and technology as an instrument of socio-economic change and strives to ensure that efforts in science and technology are not only restricted to scientific laboratories and academic institutions but percolate to the grassroots, so that science, technology and innovation become part of everyday life.
- Through the operation of various schemes, the council conducts science popularization programmes like Children’s Science Congress and Science Talent Promotion Tests, confers awards to young scientists, and provides fellowships or assistance to scientists, sponsors research projects for the development of scientific temper and overall development of UT of J&K.
Mumbai to get India’s largest air quality monitoring network
- The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) will develop an air quality monitoring network across 90 locations in Mumbai. This will make it the largest network in India.
- The project is likely to be finished over the next five years. The ambitious project will be funded by the BMC and private players. BMC is planning to invest ₹5 crores to install 80 real-time air monitoring stations. These stations will give location-wise updates on the quality of air.
- While 10 mobile sensors (in Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport buses) will collect samples from different parts of the city to analyze the air quality.
- The plan is to lay the largest networking of air quality monitors overtaking Delhi, which has 38 monitors in present.
- Currently, Mumbai has 30 air quality monitoring stations. 15 stations come under the Maharashtra Pollution Control Board (MPCB), 10 under the System of Air Quality Weather Forecasting And Research (SAFAR), and five under BMC.
- The decision was made as Mumbai saw a rise in particulate matter concentration by 80 per cent from 2007 to 2018. PM10 (solid and liquid particles less than 10 microns suspended in the air) concentration was the highest in 20 years in 2018 at 162 microgrammes per cubic metre (µg/m3). The surge in pollutant levels was eight times the international standards.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
BBIN member nations deliberate on proposed MoU for implementation of Motor Vehicles Agreement
- Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, and Nepal (BBIN) deliberated upon a proposed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the implementation of Motor Vehicles Agreement (MVA) for the regulation of passengers, personal and cargo vehicular traffic among the four countries.
- The discussion in this regard was held during a meeting of the BBIN member nations in the national capital The meeting was held to discuss the passenger and cargo protocols that are to give effect to the MVA for the Regulation of Passenger, Personal and Cargo Vehicular Traffic among Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, and Nepal signed on June 15, 2015.
- The delegation recalled commitments made at the highest political level for implementation of the BBIN MVA and the importance of trade, economic cooperation, and people-to-people contact, through enhanced regional connectivity, including through facilitation of regional cross-border road transport, as per a joint statement released after the meeting.
- The Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal (BBIN) initiative is a sub regional architecture of countries in Eastern South Asia, a subregion of South Asia.
- BBIN meeting will be held by official representation of member states to formulate, implement & review of agreements in areas such as water resource management , connectivity of power, transport and infrastructure.
- Founded- 14 May 1977.
YSRC government signs MoUs with 11 institutions to help ryots
- In a bid to bring reforms in the agriculture sector, State government signed MoUs with 11 reputed institutes in the country as knowledge partners in the presence of Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy.
- Objective of the MoUs is to impart technology and knowledge transfer to farmers in the State. As per the agreements, the organisations will provide holistic technical assistance for the farmers to create a sustainable environment and increase their income.
- Institutions like Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), National Institute of Plant Health Management, MS Swaminathan Research Foundation, Central Fertiliser Quality and Training Institute, National Seed Research and Training Institute have been partnered with the State government.
- Describing it is a “revolutionary step” to empower the farmers, the Chief Minister said the knowledge partners would help in training those involved with Rythu Bharosa Centres, which will render assistance to farmers at the grassroots
- Pointing out that 50 per cent of the farmers in the State have less than 1.25 acres of agriculture land, he said as part of the MoUs, farmers will be trained in organic and natural farming. They will also be offered training in various agriculture domains.
- ICAR, National Institute of Plant Health Management, M S Swaminathan Research Foundation, Central Fertiliser Quality and Training Institute, National Seed Research and Training Institute
- Objective of the MoUs is to impart technology and knowledge transfer to farmers
- Organisations will provide holistic technical assistance for the farmers to create a sustainable environment and increase their income
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Prasar Bharati bids farewell to chairman A Surya Prakash
- India’s public service broadcaster Prasar Bharati chairman A Surya Prakash retired from his position, ending his two-term long journey that started in 2014. Prakash was bid farewell at the organisation’s 159th board meeting.
- Prakash was appointed as the chairman of Prasar Bharati for a second term in December 2017, after he had retired in October same year.
- Prakash, a former journalist, has previously served as chief of bureau at national daily The Indian Express, executive editor of The Pioneer, India editor of Asia Times and editor of Zee News. He has authored two books–What Ails Indian Parliament and The Emergency-Indian Democracy’s Darkest Hour.
About Prasar Bharati
- Founded- 1997
- Headquarters- New Delhi, India.
- Chief Executive Officer- Shashi Sekhar Vempati
HDFC Bank appoints Anjani Rathor as chief digital officer
- HDFC Bank has appointed Anjani Rathor as its new Group Head – Digital Banking. Rathor has been designated Chief Digital Officer (CDO), and will be responsible for taking the Bank’s digital transformation journey to the next level, the private sector lender state
- Anjani was previously with Bharti Airtel, where he spent 12 years and last served as the Chief Information Officer (CIO)
- CEO: Aditya Puri
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: August 1994, India
- Tagline : We understand your world.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Pullela Gopichand To Be Recognised By International Olympics Committee
- India’s chief national badminton coach Pullela Gopichand considered by the International Olympics Committee (IOC) for the Coaches Lifetime Achievement Awards.
- Gopichand, 46, received an honourable mention in the male category of the prestigious 2019 IOC’s coaches award in recognition of the role he played in the development of the game in India.
- Gopichand has shaped the careers of Saina Nehwal, PV Sindhu, Kidambi Srikanth, etc, helping them not only become world beaters but also ambassadors of Olympic sports.
- He was conferred with the Dronacharya Award in 2009 and the Padma Bhushan – India’s third highest civilian award – in 2014.
About International Olympic Committee:
- Headquarters- Lausanne, Switzerland
- President- Thomas Bach
- Director General(DG)- Christophe De Kepper
- Founded- 1894 in Paris, France.
OSCAR WINNERS 2020
- Joaquin Phoenix wins best actor for Joker, Renée Zellweger takes home best actress and Parasite wins best picture at 92nd Academy Awards Dolby Theatre, Los Angeles, California, United States.
||Renée Zellweger Judy
||Joaquin Phoenix Joker
||Bong Joon-ho Parasite
|Music (original song)
||“(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” from Rocketman
|Music (original score)
|International feature film
||South Korea, Parasite
|Makeup and hairstyling
|Best film editing
||Ford v Ferrari
||Roger Deakins, 1917
|Best sound mixing
|Best sound editing
||Ford v Ferrari
|Best supporting actress
||Laura Dern, Marriage Story
|Documentary short feature
||Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You’re a Girl)
|Best costume design
||Jacqueline Durran Little Women
|Best production design
||Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood
|Live-action short film
||The Neighbors’ Window
|Best adapted screenplay
||Taika Waititi, Jojo Rabbit
|Best original screenplay
||Bong Joon-ho Parasite
|Animated short film
|Animated feature film
||Toy Story 4
|Best supporting actor
||Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood
David Warner beats Steve Smith by one vote to Australian cricketer of the year award
- David Warner won the Australian cricketer of the year award beating teammate Steve Smith by one vote in their first season following the ball-tampering ban that brought their rollicking careers to a one-year halt.
- Dashing opener Warner won his third Allan Border Medal with 194 votes, with former Test captain Smith getting 193 votes and fast bowler Pat Cummins coming third with 185.
- Ellyse Perry claimed her second Belinda Clark Award at the Australian Cricket Awards .
- Then vice-captain and captain — Warner and Smith — were each suspended for a year by Cricket Australia and opener Cameron Bancroft was banned for nine months for their involvement in the ball tampering scandal during a Test match in Cape Town in March 2018.
- Warner had previously won the coveted individual prize in 2016 and 2017.
- He polled a total of 194 across the Test, ODI and T20I formats to finish ahead of former captain Smith and nine votes clear of Cummins.
Full list of the 2020 Australian Cricket Award winners:
- Male One Day International Player of the Year: Aaron Finch
- Female One Day International Player of the Year: Alyssa Healy
- Hall of Fame Induction: Sharon Tredrea Betty Wilson
- Young Cricketer of the Year: Tayla Vlaeminck Bradman
- Young Cricketer of the Year: Wes Agar Male Test Player of the Year: Marnus Labuschagne
- Female Domestic Player of the Year: Molly Strano
- Male Domestic Player of the Year: Shaun Marsh
- Hall of Fame Induction: Craig McDermott
- Female International Twenty20 Player of the Year: Alyssa Healy
- Male International Twenty20 Player of the Year: David Warner Belinda Clark Award: Ellyse Perry Allan Border Medal: David Warner.
South Indian Bank bags IBA awards
- South Indian Bank came out with flying colours at the Banking Technology Awards 2020 instituted by the Indian Banks’ Association. SIB delivered a stellar performance by winning the coveted awards in 6 categories.
- The awards were received on behalf of South Indian Bank by Raphael TJ, CGM and CIO; Sony A, JGM – Head of Digital Banking Department; and Jose Sebastian E, DGM – Head of IT Operations Deptartment, at the IBA’s 15th Annual Banking Technology Conference, Expo, And Awards held in
- The awards were given by Rajesh Gopinath, MD and CEO, Tata Consultancy Services, and Rajnish Kumar, Chairman, State Bank of India.
About South Indian bank:
- Headquarters: Thrissur
- CEO: V. G. Mathew
- Founded: 29 January 1929
- Tagline: Experience next generation banking
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
MP: National Water Conference to be held in Bhopal
- In Madhya Pradesh, a National Water Conference is going to be held in the capital Bhopal to solve water crisis and make the state a water-rich state.
- There was plenty of water in the state before due to rivers like Narmada, Chambal, Son, Betwa and Sindh but as a result of decline in groundwater during the last few years, water crisis has arisen in most parts of the state.
- ater conservation workers, environmentalists and subject experts from across the country will participate in the National Water Conference. The purpose of the conference is to finalize the guidelines for the Water Rights Act in Madhya Pradesh. A framework for better implementation of this act will also be made in the conference.
- Madhya Pradesh Government has announced to implement the Water Rights Act in the state. MP will be the first state in the country where this law will be implemented.
Fourth East Asia Summit (EAS) Conference on Maritime Security Cooperation
- During the 14th East Asia Summit held in Bangkok on 4 November 2019, Leaders emphasized the importance of the ASEAN Outlook as a guide for ASEAN’s engagement in the Asia-Pacific and Indian Ocean regions to contribute to the maintenance of peace, stability, freedom and prosperity as well as the Prime Minister of India highlighted global challenges, and made special mention of the need for a rules-based international order in the Indo-Pacific region.. The central maritime focus-areas of this proposal include security; ecology; resources; capacity building and resource sharing; disaster risk reduction and management; science, technology and academic cooperation; and trade, connectivity and transportation. In the forthcoming Fourth EAS conference on Maritime Security Cooperation, it is intended to set out these issues in order to establish a base for future dialogue on this initiative and to create platforms for such cooperation.
- Building upon the success of these three earlier Conferences, the Ministry of External Affairs of the Government of India, once again acting in concert with its knowledge-partners, namely, the National Maritime Foundation (NMF) and the Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS), will organise the Fourth International Conference on “Maritime Security Cooperation” in Chennai on 6 and 7 February 2020 for EAS participating countries.
- The Conference is expected to serve as a platform for free and open dialogue among all the EAS partners on various issues of maritime security cooperation, and to come up with useful suggestions on tackling challenges in the maritime domain in a cooperative manner,
- It is the Indo-Pacific’s premier forum for strategic dialogue.
- It has 18 members – the 10 ASEAN- Association of Southeast Asian Nations countries (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam) along with Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, the United States and Russia.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Iran shows ballistic missile Raad-500 from US, dedicates to Sulaimani
- Iran made the short-range ballistic missile Raad-500 amid heightened tensions with the US.
- The missile has a new generation engine to put the satellite into orbit. The name of this engine is Zuhair which is made of alloy. It is lighter than a steel engine built earlier, so it is easier for the missile to capture high speed.
- The Revolutionary Guards website stated that the Raad-500 missile is half the weight of the previously built Fateh-110 missile, but its firepower is 200 km more than that. The Fateh-110 missile was made public by Iran in 2002. The range of that missile is 300 km. It is a ground-to-ground ballistic missile.
- It has been dedicated to the former head of the organization, Major General Qasim Sulemani. Sulaimani was killed in a drone strike by the US in Baghdad on January 3.
- Capital– Tehran
- President– Hassan Rouhani
Atlas 5 blasts off with Solar Orbiter
- A United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket lifted from Cape Canaveral, boosting the European Space Agency’s $1.5 billion Solar Orbiter probe out of Earth’s gravitational grip toward a multi-year voyage around the sun that will give scientists their first glimpse of the star’s poles.
- The Solar Orbiter mission comes a year and a half after NASA’s Parker Solar Probe was launched, a spacecraft that periodically flies through the sun’s super-heated outer atmosphere, or corona, enduring extreme temperatures that rule out the use of sun-facing cameras.
- The first time they sent a satellite out to take images of the sun’s poles and in addition, getting the first ever data of the polar magnetic field.
- The Solar Orbiter mission cost roughly $1.5 billion, including the Atlas 5 rocket provided by NASA. The U.S. space agency spent another $70 million building one of the spacecraft’s instruments and other components, including a sensor.
Indian Army, pvt firm develop world’s cheapest gun shot locator
- ‘Parth’ gun shot locator device developed by the Army’s College of Military Engineering jointly with a private firm costs much cheaper than the imported ones.
- The device costs around Rs 3 lakhs, and if inducted, would replace a similar imported item which costs around Rs 65 lakhs. The device can locate the exact location of a bullet from a distance of 400m and will help to locate and neutralize terrorist faster.
- Major Anoop Mishra showcased the indigenous ‘Parth’ gun shot locator device at DefExpo 2020.
- Incidentally, Major Mishra, who had developed a bulletproof jacket for protection against sniper bullets, has developed a helmet which is claimed to be first such in the world that can stop an AK-47 bullet round from a distance of 10 meters.
- The officer is part of the Indian Army’s College of Military Engineering and had got into the development of bulletproof jackets after he had received gunshots on his vintage bulletproof jacket.
About Indian Army:
- Motto- “Service before Self”.
- Headquarters- New Delhi, India.
- Chief of the Army Staff (COAS)- General Manoj Mukund Naravane
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
India-UK joint military exercise from Feb 13-26 at Salisbury Plains
- The fifth edition of India-UK joint military exercise ‘Ajeya Warrior’ will be conducted at Salisbury Plains, United Kingdom from February 13 to 26.
- The exercise will comprise of 120 soldiers each from Indian and United Kingdom Army who would be sharing their experiences gained during conduct of various counter-insurgency and counter-terrorist operations in the past.
- The exercise is conducted alternatively in United Kingdom and India.
- The joint military exercise displays a bilateral willingness to work jointly and share operating procedures to deal with a situation in a specified operational setting. Exercise Ajeya Warrior will promote defence cooperation and enhance interoperability while sharing experiences between both the armies.
Recently held Military Exercise:
|Name of Exercise
||India and Kazakhstan
||India and Japan
||India and France
|2nd Edition of Samudra Shakti
||India and Indonesia
||Bay of Bengal
|Combat Exercise ‘Him Vijay’
||India and China
||India and Mangolia
|“Tiger Triumph” 2019
||India and the United States
||Visakhapatnam and Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh
US approves sale of Integrated Air Defense Weapon System to India
- The US has approved the sale of an Integrated Air Defense Weapon System to India for an estimated cost of USD 1.867 billion to modernise its armed forces and to expand its existing air defense architecture to counter threats posed by air attack.
- The Trump Administration has notified to the US Congress of its determination to sell India the Integrated Air Defense Weapon System (IADWS).
- The entire system is estimated to cost USD USD 1.867 billion, the State Department has told the Congress in a notification.
- This will contribute to India’s military goal to update its capability while further enhancing greater interoperability between India, the US, and other allies, it added.
- According to the notification, India had requested to the US to buy an IADWS.
- The request was for five AN/MPQ-64Fl Sentinel radar systems; one hundred eighteen AMRAAM AIM-120C-7/C-8 missiles; three AMRAAM Guidance Sections; four AMRAAM Control Sections; and one hundred thirty-four Stinger FIM-92L missiles.
- Also included are thirty-two M4A1 rifles; 40,32) M855 5.56mm cartridges; Fire Distribution Centers (FDC); Handheld Remote Terminals; Electrical Optical/Infrared (EO/IR) Sensor Systems; AMRAAM Non-Developmental Item-Airborne Instrumentation Units (NDIAIU); Multi-spectral Targeting System-Model A (MTS-A); and Canister Launchers (CN); High Mobility Launchers (HML).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Eoin Morgan outclasses Kane, Virat to win captain of the year award
- Eoin Morgan, who led England to their first World Cup title, won the captain of the year award for 2019 announced by
- In the 13th edition of the annual ESPNcricinfo Awards, the ODI batting performance of the year award went to Ben Stokes for his nerveless performance in the tied World Cup final. He made an unbeaten 84 in the regulation 50 overs and a further seven in the Super Over.
- Matt Henry, whose three-wicket spell in the World Cup semi-final knocked India out of the tournament and during which he was almost unplayable, won the award for the ODI Bowling performance of the year.
- In the Test batting category, Stokes’ epic rearguard in the Headingley Ashes Test lost out narrowly to Kusal Perera who made the landmark 153 not out against South Africa in Durban to take the title. Sri Lanka were 52 for 3 chasing a steep 304 to win, when Kusal came in to bat in the fourth innings. With 9 wickets down and 78 runs to chase, Perera played one of his greatest knocks to see them home.
- Jofra Archer, who was voted the debutant of the year, also starred in the World Cup, with three-wicket hauls in five of England’s first six games. He finished the tournament as their leading wicket-taker, and took that form into the Ashes series that followed, producing six-fours in two Tests and finishing with 22 wickets at an average of 20.07.
- Meg Lanning and Ellyse Perry of Australia won the women’s batting and bowling performances of the year awards, respectively.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHOR
Venkaiah Naidu unveils A Child of Destiny: An Autobiography by Prof. Ramakrishna Rao
- The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu released the book titled “A Child of Destiny: An Autobiography” written by Ramakrishna Rao, in Vishakhapatnam.
- Ramakrishna Rao was an Eminent Scholar, Author, Researcher, Scientist and Gandhian, He was born in coastal region in Vishakapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. The Government of India awarded him The Civilian Honour of Padma Shri in 2011.
DAILY CA 9th AND 10TH FEB
- UN World Pulses Day-10TH february
- National Deworming Day: Children, adolescents to receive single dose of Albendazole
- Ek Bharat Shreshth Bharat Campaign gets underway across country
- Iran launches satellite, fails to put it into orbit
- Bangladesh: 5th Dhaka Art Summit inaugurated
- RBI moots customer protection agency for digital payments sector
- Amazon to set up two data centres in Telangana with USD 1.6 billion investment
- CM Jagan Mohan Reddy opens Andhra’s first Disha police station at Rajamahendravaram
- 1000 Kudumbashree hotels to serve meals at Rs 25 :Kerala budget
- Haryana launches Rs 1500 crore Mukhyamantri Parivartan Yojna
- Mega industrial exhibition in Vadodara from February 15
- UP govt to launch internship scheme for school college students
- Jashpur is Chhattisgarh’s first tobacco-free town
- Chhattisgarh to impose permanent ban on hookah bars
- Tripura: Hornbill festival begins with aim to raise awareness for bird conservation
- Mumbai Girl Youngest In World To Climb South America’s Highest Peak
- African Union 2020 Summit Commences
- The 23rd Edition of National Conference on e-Governance inaugurated in Mumbai
- Indian Army Major develops world’s first bulletproof helmet
- DRDO inks deal with Russian company for missiles propulsion systems
- Bangladesh beat India to win maiden Under-19 World Cup
- Haryana thrashes SAI to win 10th Hockey Senior Women National C’ship
- Ladakh Scouts Regimental Centre Red wins 1st Khelo India Ice Hockey tournament
- Padma Shri awardee Giriraj Kishore passes away
- Veteran RSS pracharak P Parameswaran passes away
- Robert Conrad, Two-Fisted TV Star of ‘Wild Wild West,’passes away
- Former Bengal power minister Sankar Sen passes away at 92
DAILY CA 11TH FEB
- Central govt issues advisory to States/ UTs to implement vehicle registration system
- NIFM, Faridabad renamed ‘Arun Jaitley National Institute of Financial Management’
- US President Donald Trump to visit India on February 24-25
- First ‘Jerusalem-Mumbai Festival’ to be held in Mumbai on February 15
- US proposes USD 1.5 billion for Indo-Pacific to ensure region remains ‘free and open’
- Lending from CRR buffer to get 5-year exemption: RBI
- GST collection for last 3-months amounted to over Rs 1 lakh cr each month
- Realme PaySa partners NPCI, HDFC Bank
- Ministry of Civil Aviation Flags Off 1st Helicopter Service under UDAN in Uttarakhand
- Tamil Nadu govt decides to declare Cauvery Delta Region as protected special agricultural zone
- Lt Governor of J&K to head reconstituted Science Technology and Innovation Council
- Mumbai to get India’s largest air quality monitoring network
- BBIN member nations deliberate on proposed MoU for implementation of Motor Vehicles Agreement
- YSRC government signs MoUs with 11 institutions to help ryots
- Prasar Bharati bids farewell to chairman A Surya Prakash
- Indian Army, pvt firm develop world’s cheapest gun shot locator
- HDFC Bank appoints Anjani Rathor as chief digital officer
- Pullela Gopichand To Be Recognised By International Olympics Committee
- David Warner beats Steve Smith by one vote to Australian cricketer of the year award
- South Indian Bank bags IBA awards
- MP: National Water Conference to be held in Bhopal
- Fourth East Asia Summit (EAS) Conference on Maritime Security Cooperation
- Iran shows ballistic missile Raad-500 from US, dedicates to Sulaimani
- India-UK joint military exercise from Feb 13-26 at Salisbury Plains
- US approves sale of Integrated Air Defense Weapon System to India
- Eoin Morgan outclasses Kane, Virat to win captain of the year award
- Venkaiah Naidu unveils A Child of Destiny: An Autobiography by Ramakrishna Rao