Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
World Sleep day
- World Sleep Day is organised by the World Sleep Society every year on the Friday before Spring Vernal Equinox – which is March 13 this year.
- The day is dedicated to spreading awareness about all aspects of sleep including the importance of getting good sleep, sleep medicines and social aspects of sleep problems.
- Through this spread of information, the World Sleep Organisation aims to reduce the global burden of sleep disorders.
- Theme 2020 is ‘BetterSleep, Better Life, Better Planet’.
International Pi Day
- Pi Day is an annual celebration of the mathematical constant π (pi).
- Pi Day is observed on March 14 (3/14 in the month/day format) since 3, 1, and 4 are the first three significant digits of π.
- In 2009, the United States House of Representatives supported the designation of Pi Day.
The International Day of Action for Rivers
- International Day of Action for Rivers is observed every year on 14th March to raise voice to protect rivers and demand for improving the policies for Rivers.
- It is a day to educate one another about the threats facing our rivers and to find solutions.
- TheInternational Day of Action for Rivers 2020 theme is “Women, Water, and Climate Change”.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
HM Amit Shah addresses Flag-in ceremony of Ganga Aamantran Abhiyaan
- Home Minister Amit Shah has stated that it is not possible to write the history of Indian spirituality, knowledge, culture or economy without the Ganga. Addressing the Flag-in ceremony of Ganga Aamantran Abhiyaan in New Delhi
- Mr Shah stated, whether it is about languages, science, religious research, spirituality or values, Indian culture has given most to the entire world and its symbol is Ganga. He stated, no reverence for any other river in the world has been seen in public like the Ganga.
- Mr Shah stated, in 2014, the Namami Gange campaign was started. He stated, it is not just a campaign to build infrastructure or water management or waterways, but a campaign to create a sanskar (value) in the country that the Ganga is not polluted again and the cleanness and uninterruptedness of the holy river continues.
About Namami Gange:
- Namami Gange Programme’, is an Integrated Conservation Mission, approved as ‘Flagship Programme’ by the Union Government in June 2014 with budget outlay of Rs. 20,000 Crore to accomplish the twin objectives of effective abatement of pollution, conservation and rejuvenation of National River Ganga
Census India-2021 to be conducted in two phasesIC
- The Census India-2021 will be conducted in two phases. The first phase will begin from the 1st of next month and will continue until the 30th of September of this year.
- The second phase is Population Enumeration which will be conducted from 9th February to 28th February next year throughout the country simultaneously.
- Indian census is the largest single source of a range of statistical data on different characteristics of the people of the country.
- With a history of more than 130 years, this reliable and time-tested exercise results in the comprehensive collection of data relating to the people of India every 10 years.
- Census is the basis for reviewing the country’s progress in the past decade, monitoring the ongoing schemes of the government and plan for the future.
- The first census was conducted in India in 1872, but regular census started in 1881.At that time Viceroy of India was Lord Mayo
- This Will be the 16th Census of India.
Union Cabinet approves construction of 780 kilometer of green highways in four states
- Union Cabinet has approved a proposal for the construction of 780 kilometer of green highways at a cost of 7,660 crore rupees.
- Union Minister Prakash Javadekar stated the project pertains to rehabilitation and upgradation of various National Highways in four states, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh.
- Union Cabinet also approved reconstruction scheme for Yes Bank. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman stated SBI will invest 49 per cent equity in Yes Bank with other investors also being invited. She stated, the moratorium on withdrawals from Yes bank will be lifted within 3 days of notification of the reconstruction scheme.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has given its approval for introducing the Scheme for Remission of Duties and Taxes on Exported Products. Under it a mechanism would be created for reimbursement of taxes or duties or levies, at the central, state and local level, which are currently not being refunded under any other mechanism, but are incurred in the process of manufacture and distribution of exported products.
- Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal stated, the scheme will give a boost to the domestic industry and Indian exports providing a level playing field in the International market.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, also gave its approval to the proposal of Department of Fertilizers to remove anomalies in the Modified New Pricing Scheme -III for determination of fixed costs for urea units. Under it additional fixed cost of 350 rupees per Tonne will be given to 30 urea manufacturing units.
- Urea units which are more than 30 years old and are converted to gas will get special compensation of 150 rupees per tonne
About Prakash Javadekar
- Prakash Keshav Javadekar (born 30 January 1951) is an Indian politician. He is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and currently serving as the Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change and Minister of Information and Broadcasting , Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTER NATIONAL
Iran seeks financial assistance from IMF for the first time since 1962 to counter coronavirus pandemic
- For the first time since 1962, the Islamic Republic of Iran is seeking financial assistance from the International Monetary Fund.
- Iran’s Foreign Minister Javad Zarif announced that the Ministry had written a letter to IMF Chief Kristalina Georgieva seeking a loan to help contain the impact of the coronavirus pandemic in the country through IMF’s Rapid Financial Instrument.
- IMF’s KGeorgieva has stated that countries affected by #COVID19 will be supported via Rapid Financial Instrument. Central Bank requested access to this facility immediately.
- The efforts by Iran’s medical personnel have been “stymied by vast shortages caused by restrictions” on Iran’s access to medicine, equipment Zarif had further stated, referring to US sanctions on Iran.
- Iran’s Health Minister Abdolnasser Hemmati also took to Instagram to share a letter that he had written to IMF chief Kristalina Georgieva seeking financial assistance of “about $5 billion” from the fund.
- This is the first time since the Islamic Revolution that the country is seeking assistance from the IMF.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has infected over 10,000 people in Iran with the death toll rising to 429, according to media reports
- President: Hassan Rouhani
- Capital: Tehran
- Supreme leader: Ali Khamenei
- Currency: Iranian rial
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C.
- Managing Director :Kristalina Georgieva
- Chief Economist :Gita Gopinath
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
ICICI Bank, Kotak Mahindra, Axis join SBI for YES Bank stake
- The final reconstruction scheme for the crisis-ridden YES Bank got Cabinet nod . The rescue plan, as proposed by the RBI, envisages State Bank of India (SBI) picking up 49 per cent stake in the troubled private lender.
- Meanwhile, in separate filings with the bourses, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank and Kotak Mahindra Bank stated they would be investing in YES Bank. While ICICI Bank will pump in ₹1,000 crore by picking up 100 crore shares at ₹10 each, Axis Bank proposes to invest ₹600 crore (60 crore shares of ₹2 each at a premium of ₹8). Kotak Mahindra Bank will invest ₹500 crore by acquiring 50 crore equity shares at ₹10 per share. On its part, Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) will infuse ₹1,000 crore.
- The board of SBI, had approved investment of ₹7,250 crore in YES Bank. Already, LIC, a promoter of Axis Bank, owns 8.06 per cent in YES Bank.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman stated that the moratorium — which placed a Rs.50,000 withdrawal limit on YES Bank depositors — will be lifted on the third working day (at 1800 hrs) from the date of the notification of the approved scheme. “The final scheme will get notified soon,” she added.
- Within seven days, a new Board of YES Bank will be constituted and two nominees of SBI will be part of the reconstructed YES Bank as directors. The administrator will vacate office after seven days from the cessation of the moratorium and a new Board will be constituted.
- SBI’s investments will have a three-year lock-in for 26 per cent of the 49 per cent stake it will hold. For the other private investors, there will be a three-year lock-in, but for 75 per cent of their investments, she stated.
- YES Bank’s authorised capital will be raised from ₹1,100 crore to ₹6,200 crore to accommodate immediate and subsequent capital raise, she stated, adding that the details will be worked out soon.
RBI to infuse Rs. 4.05 lakh crore rupee liquidity
- To counterbalance possible domestic liquidity effects of the $2 billion sell-buy swap operation that it will conduct on March 16, 2020, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to provide rupee liquidity for seven days aggregating ₹25,000 crore to the financial system . This is in addition to the already announced provision of 14-day rupee liquidity aggregating ₹80 lakh crore.
- The rupee liquidity infusion will be via variable rate ‘reverse’ repo auctions. The RBI stated it is closely and continuously monitoring the rapidly evolving global situation and will take all necessary measures to ensure that money, debt and forex markets remain adequately liquid and stable, and continue to function normally.
- Simultaneously, the RBI stated it is closely and continuously monitoring the rapidly evolving global situation and spillovers arising from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- RBI to conduct sell/buy swap for $2 b to halt rupee’s fall, provide dollar liquidity
- The sell/buy swap, whereby a bank will buy US Dollars from the Reserve Bank and simultaneously agree to sell the same amount of US Dollars at the end of the swap period, will be conducted through the auction route in multiple tranches, RBI stated in a statement.
- The auctions will be multiple price based — successful bids will be accepted at their respective quoted premiums. The swap comes in the backdrop of mismatches in US dollar liquidity becoming accentuated across the world.
Recent news related to RBI:
- Minister of Rural Development Narendra Singh Tomar announced that more than 17 lakh Self Help Groups (SHGs) are to be developed by
- The Reserve Bank of India imposed a month-long moratorium. Also, the Apex Bank has imposed withdrawal restrictions of Rs 50,000 to the customers.
- The board of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) decided to sync the Financial year of the bank with the Fiscal Year. The Fiscal Year begins in April and ends in March and the Financial year is between July and June
- The Indian Institute of Technology, Palakkad is to set up a research centre in data science. The centre being set up at Kanjikode aims at providing a platform of research for artificial intelligence and Data Science
RBI cuts UCB exposure limits to group of connected borrowers; give one more year to meet enhanced PSL norms
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cut the prudential exposure limits for urban co-operative banks (UCBs) to a group of connected borrowers. It also gave these banks one more year to meet the enhanced priority sector lending (PSL) norms.
- The RBI stated henceforth, the prudential exposure limits for UCBs to a group of connected borrowers/parties will be 25 per cent (40 per cent), respectively, of their tier-I capital.
- The prudential exposure limits for single borrower/party have been retained at 15 per cent of UCBs tier-I capital. The December 2019 draft circular on “ Limits on Exposure to Single and Group Borrowers/Parties and Large Exposures and Revision in Priority Sector Lending Targets for UCBs” had proposed this exposure limit at 10 per cent.
- The revised exposure limits will apply to all types of fresh exposures taken by UCBs. The RBI stated UCBs have to bring down their existing exposures which are more than the revised limits to within the aforestated revised limits by March 31, 2023.
- However, where the existing exposure comprises only term loans and non-fund-based facilities, while no further exposure shall be taken on such borrowers, these facilities may be allowed to continue as per their respective repayment schedule / till maturity.
- UCBs shall have at least 50 per cent of their aggregate loans and advances comprising loans of not more than ₹25 lakh or 0.2 per cent of their Tier I capital, whichever is higher, subject to a maximum of Rs.1 crore, per borrower/party.
- UCBs have been given time up to March 31, 2024 to reach the PSL target of 75 per cent of loans against March 31, 2023 proposed in the draft circular.
- They are required to reach this PSL target in four phases — 45 per cent of loans by March-end 2021; 50 per cent of loans by March-end 2022; 60 per cent of loans by March-end 2023; and 75 per cent of loans by March-end 2024. Currently, the overall PSL target for UCBs is at 40 per cent of loans
About Urban cooperative banks
- The term Urban Co-operative Banks (UCBs), though not formally defined, refers to primary cooperative banks located in urban and semi-urban areas. These banks were traditionally centred around communities, localities work place groups. They essentially lent to small borrowers and businesses.
UBS cuts India GDP growth forecast to 5.1 per cent for FY21
- Swiss brokerage UBS sharply cut its 2020-21 GDP growth forecast for India to 1 per cent on fears around the coronavirus outbreak and also weak credit growth domestically. The brokerage also cut its FY20 growth estimate marginally to 4.8 per cent. The GDP growth is set to slip to a decadal low of 5 per cent for FY20 as per official estimates and hopes of a revival are being pinned on the next fiscal.
- The brokerage’s economist Tanvee Gupta Jain stated even though there are only over 50 positive coronavirus cases in India so far, the fear and uncertainty over its impact could worsen near-term consumer sentiment and hit domestic demand.s India GDP growth forecast to 1 per cent for FY21
- India’s real GDP growth to remain weak at 5.1 per cent YoY in FY21 (previously 5.6 per cent) compared with 4.8 per cent YoY (previously 4.9 per cent) in FY20, it stated, adding the growth rate will continue to be under potential in FY22, when it is expected to touch 6 per cent.
- CEO: Sergio Ermotti
- Headquarters: Zürich, Switzerland
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Meghalaya to invest Rs 450 crore for development of sports
- Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma has stated that his government will invest Rs 450 crore for development of sports infrastructure in the state.
- He stated the government has already taken the initiative to upgrade the PA Sangma stadium in Tura into an integrated sports complex. It will be a state of the art facility dedicated exclusively to
- He stated the government plans to develop football in the state and steps are being taken to create an international level football academy in Shillong to nurture the talents of young boys and girls to skill them professionally in the sport.
- Meghalaya government’s investment in sports infrastructure is also part of its plan to host the National Games 2022
Recent news about Meghalaya :
- SAMPRITI-IX: India-Bangladesh Joint Military Exercise to be held in Meghalaya
- Exercise Hand-in-Hand-2019: India-China Joint Training
- Centre bans Meghalaya-based insurgent group Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council
- India International Cherry Blossom Festival celebrated in Shillong
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
HAL inks pact with Blue Ray Aviation for supply of two Dornier Do-228 multi-role aircraft
- Blue Ray Aviation Pvt Limited has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Transport Aircraft Division, a division of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, for deployment of two HAL made Dornier Do-228 aircraft.
- Transport Aircraft Division of HAL based in Kanpur produces Dornier Do-228, a 19-seater multi-role utility aircraft for various applications, including commuter, reconnaissance, surveillance and utility operations.
- Blue Ray Aviation is a DGCA approved CAR 145 and Flight Training Organisation based in Ahmedabad, Gujarat and having operating bases at Mahasena and They are basically into the General Aviation activities with focus on pilot training, maintenance of aircraft and connecting cities through charters.
- The company evinced interest in offering maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) for HAL Do-228 aircraft.
- After focussing on defence sector for decades, HAL now wants to be a part of civil aviation sector. The signing of MoU will be a launch pad to support the Government efforts in enhancing regional connectivity through Dornier aircraft.
- In another important development, HAL was handed over letter of Intent for supply of four HAL Do-228 aircraft to TAPL, a company planning to operate flights under the UDAN Regional Connectivity Scheme
- Head Quarters- Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Chairman and Managing director- R Madhavan
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
DFS secretary Debasish Panda nominated on central board of RBI
- The Central Government has nominated Shri Debasish Panda, Secretary, Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance, Government of India, New Delhi as a Director on the Central Board of Reserve Bank of India.
- The nomination of Panda is effective from March 11, 2020 and until further orders,
- Governor- Shaktikanta Das
- Deputy Governors- BP Kanungo, MK Jain and Michael Patra
- Reserve Bank of India deputy governor NS Vishwanathanhas quit three months ahead of his retirement in June due to health reason
Sunil Mehta to be Non-Executive Chairman, Prashant Kumar to be MD & CEO of YES Bank
- The Government has constituted new board of directors for Yes Bank. It will be led by former Punjab National Bank Managing Director Sunil Mehta.
- According to the notification, issued within hours of Union Cabinet’s decision, the new board of director will have Mehta as Non-Executive Chairman while Prashant Kumar, former Chief Financial Officer and Deputy Managing Director of State Bank of India, will be Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director.
- Mahesh Krishnamurthy and Atul Bheda have been appointed as Non-Executive Director. The board will replace the administrator (Kumar) who is to vacate office within seven calendar days from the date of notification , all the board members will have a term of one year or until an alternate board is constituted.
Bill Gates steps down from Microsoft, Berkshire boards to focus on philanthropy
- Gates will also be stepping away from the board of Warren E. Buffet’s Berkshire
- Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates stepped down from the company’s Board of Directors to invest more time in philanthropy.
- This is perhaps one of the biggest board departures in the tech industry since the death of Gates’ long-time colleague and rival, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.
- He will also be stepping away from the board of Warren E. Buffet’s Berkshire Hathaway.
- The tech mogul will, however, continue to serve as Technology Advisor to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and other leaders in the company, Microsoft stated in an official statement.
- Media giant Buffet will be working alongside Gates as a co-trustee of Gates’ philanthropy venture, the Bill and Melinda Gates’foundation.
- The former Microsoft chief who had started the company with childhood friend Paul Allen in 1975 had transitioned out of a day-to-day role in the company to spend more time on his work at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in 2008 and had served as the board’s chairman until 2014.
- With Gates’ departure, Microsoft’s board will consist of 12 members including CEO Satya Nadella.
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and two other large charities pledged up to $125 million to help speed the development of treatments for the COVID-19 pandemic which has infected over 132,000 people worldwide according to the World Health Organization
About Microsoft :
- CEO: Satya Nadella
- Headquarters: Redmond, Washington, United States
- Founders: Bill Gates, Paul Allen
About Berkshire Hathaway
- CEO: Warren Buffett
- Headquarters: Omaha, Nebraska, United States
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Hyderabad boy Amgoth Tukaram scales highest Oz peak
- Amgoth Tukaram has scaled new heights. The 22-year-old from Hyderabad conquered Mt. Kosciuszko, the highest peak in Australia.
- Tukaram is the youngest mountaineer from India who has scaled five of the seven toughest and highest peaks in the world — Killimanjaro (19,308 ft) in Africa on July 4, 2018; Mt. Everest (29,029 ft) in Nepal on May 22, 2019; Mt. Elbrus (18,510 ft) in Russia on July 27, 2019; Mt. Aconcagua (22,837 ft) in South America on January 26, 2020 and Mt Kosciusko in Australia on March 10,2020.
- Indian mountaineer Bhawna Dehariya has successfully scaled Mount Kosciuszko 2,228 meters, the highest mountain peak in
- Telangana TeenMalavath Poorna Scaled Antarctica’s Highest Peak. Eighteen-year-old Poorna became the first and youngest tribal woman in the world to set foot on the six tallest mountain peaks across six continents.
- Kaamya Karthikeyan, a class seven student of Navy Children School (NCS) inMumbai,became the youngest girl in the world to summit Mt Aconcagua, the highest peak in South America.
India’s first culinary arts museum at WGSHA enters Limca Book of Records, founded by chef Vikas Khanna
- Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Management (WGSHA) of Manipal Academy of Higher Education entered the Limca Book of Records for establishing ‘India’s First Living Culinary Arts Museum’ at WGSHA.
- The process for WGSHA’s culinary museum to make an entry into the popular Limca Book of Records started almost six months back and after validation by LBR recently, has been listed in the book of records.
- Celebrity chef Vikas Khanna is the Founder and curator of India’s first living culinary arts museum at WGSHA. It was his idea which led to the establishment of this culinary museum.
- The Museum consists of historical as well as household items such as plates made by the Portuguese in India, an old seed sprinkler, an ancient Kashmiri tea brewer known as ‘samovar’, a 100-year-old ladle used to dole out food at temples and bowls dating to the Harappan era.
- The vessels from the Konkan, Udupi & Chettinad regions, apart from a large collection of rolling pins, utensils of all shapes and sizes, tea strainers of different types etc. are found in the museum.
About Limca Book of Records
- Limca Book of Records (LBR) is a catalogue of achievements made by Indians, at home and abroad in diverse fields of human endeavour.
- LBR is a celebration of exemplary exploits and recognizes accomplishments such as firsts, inventions, discoveries, honours, awards and the truly extraordinary
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
Abilities in disabilities ‘Divya Kala Shakti’ event in Chennai
- It was an evening filled with dance, music and some daredevil gymnastics, as children and youth with disabilities took the stage for ‘Divya Kala Shakti’ in Chennai, a cultural programme focussed on witnessing abilities in disabilities.
- Organised by the National Institute for Empowerment of Persons with Multiple Disabilities (NIEPMED), in collaboration with the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DIVYANGJAN) and the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, the cultural event brought together 98 children and youth with various disabilities, including visual and hearing impairment, locomotor disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and other intellectual disabilities.
- This was the first regional edition of the event and the participants were from Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Puducherry.
‘Wings India 2020’ aviation exhibition kicks off in Hyderabad
- The four-day civil aviation business exhibition and air show, Wings India 2020 started in
- The biennial event being organized by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) along with Ministry of Civil Aviation and Airports Authority of India will be on till March 15 at the Begumpet airport.
- The event will also host conferences between various company heads and a CEO’s forum.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Animal Protection Index 2020
- India has scored ‘C’ ranking in the Animal Protection Index 2020. Some other countries like Spain, New Zealand, France, and Mexico also attained ‘C’ ranking in the index.
- Animal Protection Index 2020 released by World Animal Protection highlighted that India is improving in the area of animal protection. The objective of the Animal Protection Index (API) is to showcase what and how countries across the world are treating animals.
- It also aims to highlight countries that are doing well for animal welfare. Also, if they fall short on animal welfare policies they can take necessary steps to improve. The Animal Protection Index 2020 ranks various countries from A (highest score) to G (lowest score) as per their policies and constituteional system.
- No country has gained A grade.
- Austria, Denmark, Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland, United Kingdom attained B ranking.
- Azerbaijan and Iran attained last position i.e., G ranking
About World Animal Protection
- Headquarters– London, United Kingdom
- CEO– Steve McIvor
Taylor Swift tops Google’s 2020 list of most-searched woman in music
- Singer Taylor Swift has been named as Google’s most-searched for woman in music of 2020.
- According to Google, Swift topped the list of searches among women in music, while tennis player Serena Williams was the most-searched for female athlete.
- Actress Awkwafina was the most searched-for woman in comedy, and novelist Toni Morrison was the most-searched for female author.
Alibaba’s Jack Ma Overtakes Reliance’s Mukesh Ambani As Asia’s Richest Man
- The fear of coronavirus outbreak, coupled with the collapse in oil prices and market breakdown has hurt Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani’s net worth. India’s richest man slipped to the second spot in the Asia rankings, after losing close to $5.8 Bn from his net worth
- According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Alibaba’s Jack Ma as Asia’s richest man. The list now shows the Alibaba founder with a $45.7 Bn fortune, almost $3.4 Bn more than Ambani’s latest net worth.
- The Bloomberg Billionaires Index further revealed the net worth of other Indian tycoons such as the founder and chairman of HCL Shiv Nadar ($14.7 Bn); Kotak Mahindra Bank MD Uday Kotak ($13.4 Bn); chairman and CEO of ArcelorMittal Lakshmi Mittal ($9.83 Bn); and founder and chairman of Bharti Enterprises Sunil Mittal ($8.39 Bn) among others.
- In the overall world’s ranking, Bill Gates Is World’s Richest Man Again, Ambani stood at 19th spot, falling from 13th spot last year, followed by Shiv Nadar (84), Uday Kotak (98), Lakshmi Mittal (144) and Sunil Mittal (181).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Jaydev Unadkat-led Saurashtra beat Bengal to clinch maiden Ranji Trophy title
- Saurashtra led by Jaydev Unadkat lifted their maiden Ranji Trophy beating Bengal on the basis of the first-innings lead at Rajkot
- Unadkat, who had single-handily taken Saurashtra into the final with a seven-wicket haul against Gujarat on the final day of their semifinal, rose to the occasion yet again to a historic victory.
- The left-arm pacer ended as the season’s leading wicket-taker with 67 scalps at a staggering average of 13.23, one short of an all-time record.
- In the second innings, all Saurashtra had to do was to bat before both captains decided to call off the game and shake hands.
- They eventually did that at tea time after Saurashtra sauntered 105 for four in 34 overs. With the win, Saurashtra ended their Ranji Trophy title drought while a fighting Bengal will have to wait longer for their first crown since the 1989-90 season.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Former Czech Olympic javelin champion Dana Zatopkova dies at 97
- Dana Zatopkova, the 1952 Olympic javelin champion and wife of four-time Olympic champion Emil Zatopek, died at the age of 97 , the Czech Olympic Committee stated.
- Besides the gold from the Helsinki Olympics, Zatopkova won the Olympic silver in Rome in 1960.In 1958, she set the world record of 55.73 metres at the age of 35. She became the European champion in 1954 and 1958.
DAILY CA 13TH MAR
- Crime Multi Agency Centre for sharing info on heinous crime launched
- Parliament passes Mineral Law (Amendment) Bill
- Nitin Gadkari requests Lok Sabha members to spread information about “Udyam Sakhi” portal
- Home Ministry constitutes two special committees to fasten CAPF works
- State Bank of India to buy shares worth 7,250 crore rupees of cash-strapped Yes Bank
- RBI announces US dollar sell/buy swap to provide liquidity to foreign exchange market
- SBI scraps minimum monthly balance requirement
- BSNL, SBI partner to launch UPI-based payment platform Bharat InstaPay
- Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance launches iSelect+ Term Plan
- Amul to help J&K dairies scale up their operations
- Asian Development Bank to give USD 200 million to companies manufacturing products to combat coronavirus
- India’s current account deficit narrows to $1.4 bn in December quarter
- World Bank to provide USD 80 mn to improve water management in HP
- GOKADDAL – World’s first Digital Solutions Exchange Cloud launched in India
- Karnataka government launches ‘Namaste over Handshake’ campaign to tackle spread of COVID-19
- Jewar airport gets international recognition for strategic infrastructure
- Mumbai Central station is about to get a new name Nana Shankarseth Terminus Station
- Maharashtra govt approves implementation of “happy hour” for autorickshaws
- UP govt launches schemes for skill development & employment generation for youths
- Assam govt to construct 33 stadiums in state under Uttran scheme
- CSIR-National Physical Laboratory develops Ink to Curb Fake Printing of Passports and Counterfeiting of Currency Notes
- IIT Bombay, DST, Intel India announce third edition of startup accelerator programme Plugin
- IDFC ropes in Amitabh Bachchan as the face of the brand
- Nita Ambani features in 10 most influential women in sports
- EIU’s Inclusive Internet Index 2020
- IIT Bombay makes glass substrates for 5G devices, consumer electronics
- Veteran Bengali Actor Santu Mukhopadhyay passes away
DAILY CA 14TH MAR
- World Sleep day- 13th March
- International Pi Day- 14th March
- The International Day of Action for Rivers-14th March
- HM Amit Shah addresses Flag-in ceremony of Ganga Aamantran Abhiyaan
- Census India-2021 to be conducted in two phasesIC
- Union Cabinet approves construction of 780 kilometer of green highways in four states
- Iran seeks financial assistance from IMF for the first time since 1962 to counter coronavirus pandemic
- ICICI Bank, Kotak Mahindra, Axis join SBI for YES Bank stake
- RBI to infuse ₹05 lakh crore rupee liquidity
- RBI cuts UCB exposure limits to group of connected borrowers; give one more year to meet enhanced PSL norms
- UBS cuts India GDP growth forecast to 1 per cent for FY21
- Meghalaya to invest Rs 450 crore for development of sports
- HAL inks pact with Blue Ray Aviation for supply of two Dornier Do-228 multi-role aircraft
- DFS secretary Debasish Panda nominated on central board of RBI
- Sunil Mehta to be Non-Executive Chairman, Prashant Kumar to be MD & CEO of YES Bank
- Bill Gates steps down from Microsoft, Berkshire boards to focus on philanthropy
- Hyderabad boy Amgoth Tukaram scales highest Oz peak
- India’s first culinary arts museum at WGSHA enters Limca Book of Records, founded by chef Vikas Khanna
- Abilities in disabilities ‘Divya Kala Shakti’ event in Chennai
- ‘Wings India 2020’ aviation exhibition kicks off in Hyderabad
- Animal Protection Index 2020
- Taylor Swift tops Google’s 2020 list of most-searched woman in music
- Alibaba’s Jack Ma Overtakes Reliance’s Mukesh Ambani As Asia’s Richest Man
- Jaydev Unadkat-led Saurashtra beat Bengal to clinch maiden Ranji Trophy title
- Former Czech Olympic javelin champion Dana Zatopkova dies at 97