Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Government approves inducting women as jawans in Army’s Military Police
- Defence Minister NirmalaSitharaman has approved induction of women as jawans in the Army’s Corps of Military Police. “
- The women will be inducted in graded manner to eventually comprise 20% of total Corps of Military Police.
- Their roles would include probing rape and molestation cases, assisting the Army wherever required, searching or frisking women, among other duties.
|Union Minister of Defence
|Member of RajyaSabha
|Chief of Indian Army
|Vice Chief of Indian Army
PM NarendraModi to inaugurate National Museum of Indian Cinema in Mumbai
- Prime Minister NarendraModiinaugurates the National Museum of Indian Cinema in Mumbai.
- The museum spread across two adjacent buildings will not only cater to the needs of film critics and enthusiasts but also enthral visitors through visuals, graphics, interactive exhibits and multimedia expositions about India’s century-long cinematic journey.
|Maharashtra Chief Minister
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Uttar Pradesh becomes 3rd state to approve 10% general category quota
- Uttar Pradesh government approved 10% reservation in jobs and educational institutions for the economically weaker sections in general category.
- Gujarat and Jharkhand are the two other states to incorporate the additional quota.
- The Constitution (124th Amendment) Bill, 2019 was passed by the Parliament on January 9 and was approved by President Ram NathKovind on January 12.
|Uttar Pradesh Capital
||Lucknow, Allahabad (Judiciary)
|Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
|Uttar Pradesh Governor
Bhopal to become India’s first city to have crematorium for cows
- India’s first crematorium for cows will soon be built in Bhopal.
- Bhopal Municipal Corporation is now looking for a piece of land for the construction of the crematorium.
- Moreover, for the safety of the animal, temporary cowsheds (gaushalas) will also be set up in villages, highways, panchayats and municipalities across the region.
|Madhya Pradesh Capital
||Bhopal, Jabalpur (Judiciary)
|Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
|Madhya Pradesh Governor
Uttar Pradesh cabinet renames Mughalsarai tehsil as DeendayalUpadhyay
- The Uttar Pradesh cabinet approved the proposal of renaming the Mughalsarai tehsil as PanditDeendayalUpadhyay, the co-founder and president of Bharatiya Jana Sangh.
- Many places in the state have witnessed change in names in the recent past under Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath-led Uttar Pradesh government.
- In August last year, the iconic Mughalsarai Railway station got officially renamed as PanditDeendayalUpadhyay Junction. On October 16 last year, Allahabad was formally rechristened to Prayagraj.
Gujarat government signs around 130 MoUs with investment commitments worth over Rs 56,000 crore in various sectors
- Gujarat government has signed around 130 MoUs with investment commitments worth over 56,000 crore rupees in various sectors on the first day of the three-day Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit.
- China-based Tsingshan group has committed to invest 21,000 crore rupees to set up a steel plant and a facility to manufacture car batteries.
- Besides this mega agreement, MoUs worth over 35,000 crore rupees were also signed during the opening day of the three-day business conclave.
|Gujarat Chief Minister
Jammu and Kashmir government to provide cattle to BPL families
- The Jammu and Kashmir government has decided to give away cattle received from the military farms to the families living below the poverty line.
- The decision was taken here at a meeting of defence representatives and officers of animal husbandry department, chaired by advisor to the Governor Khurshid Ahmed Ganai, regarding the handing over of cattle to state government after the closure of military farms.
- The military dairy farms at Nowshera, Udhampur and Jammu have a total of 1917 cattle heads of different types.
- The advisor directed officers of animal husbandry department to prepare a plan for the distribution process with special preference to SC/ST families.
|Jammu and Kashmir Capital
||Jammu (Winter), Kashmir (Summer)
|Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister
|Jammu and Kashmir Governor
||Satya Pal Malik
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
SoftBank to acquire 40% stake in FirstCry for $400mn
- Japanese conglomerate SoftBank is reportedly set to invest $400 million to acquire a 40% stake in Pune-based baby products startupFirstCry at a valuation of around $600-700 million.
- This comes after previous reports claimed that FirstCry may raise at least $150 million at an $800-900 million valuation from SoftBank.
- FirstCry was founded in 2010 by SupamMaheshwari and AmitavaSaha.
||Minato, Tokyo, Japan
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
China claims world’s 1st 5G remote surgery in test on animal
- A Chinese surgeon has performed the world’s first 5G remote surgery operating from about 50 km away.
- During the January 8 operation, he used robotic arms to remove the liver of a laboratory test animal.
- With a lag of just 0.1 seconds, the technology can be used to treat people in distant areas, the surgeon said.
Japan launches satellite for world’s 1st artificial meteor shower
- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency has launched Tokyo-based startup Star-ALE’s mini-satellite aimed to deliver the world’s first artificial meteor shower.
- The satellite carries 400 tiny balls, which the startup says will be enough for 20-30 events, that will glow as they rush down the atmosphere on being released.
- ALE plans to deliver its first show in Hiroshima in early 2020.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Ex-captain Sardar Singh named in Hockey India selection committee
- Former captain Sardar Singh has been included in a 13-member Hockey India selection committee.
- The team will be headed by BP Govinda, a member of the 1975 World Cup-winning team.
VineshPhogat becomes first Indian to be nominated for Laureus World Sports Award
- Star wrestler VineshPhogat became the first Indian to be nominated for the prestigious Laureus World Sports Award.
- Vinesh has been nominated in “Laureus World Sporting Comeback” category for the year 2019 and will be competing for the award with golf great Tiger Woods, Canadian snowboarder Mark McMorris, American alpine ski racer Lindsey Vonn, Japanese figure skater YuzuruManyu, and Dutch para-snowboarding star BibianMentel-Spee.
- Vinesh had a stellar 2018 in which she won gold at the 2018 Commonwealth Games, a silver in the 2018 Asian Championships in Bishkek and a gold at the Asian Games in Jakarta