Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
Zero Discrimination Day
- Zero Discrimination Dayis observed on March 1, aims to address the issue of discrimination faced by people across the world.
- Theday aims to promote equality before law throughout all member countries of the UN.
|Theme 2019||Act to change laws that Discriminate|
World Civil Defence Day
- World Civil Defence Day is celebrated every year on March 1
- Civil defence is an effort to protect the citizens of a state from military attacks and natural disasters
- International Civil Defence Organisation (ICDO) decided to celebrate this day in 1990
|Theme 2019||Children’s safety, our responsibility|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: CABINET APPROVAL
Cabinet approves 10% reservation for general category poor in J&K
- The Union Cabinet has approved the Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Amendment Order, 2019
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley stated that it will serve the purpose of application of relevant provision of the constitution as amended through the constitution (77th Amendment) act, 2019 for Jammu and Kashmir by issuing the constitution Amendment order.
- This will pave the way for giving the benefit of promotion in service to the SCs, STs and also extend the reservation of up to 10 per cent for the economically weaker section in educational institution and public employment in addition to the existing reservation in the
- The Cabinet approved Agra and Kanpur Metro Rail Projects.
- The Cabinet also approved the promulgation of an Ordinance to make amendments to the Aadhaar Act 2016, Prevention of Money Laundering Act 2005 and the Indian Telegraph Act 1885.
|Jammu & Kashmir Capital||Jammu & Srinagar|
|Jammu & Kashmir Chief Minister||President Rule|
|Jammu & Kashmir Governor||Satya Pal Malik|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Government may offer 2.5 lakh subsidy on electric cars
- The government has proposed a subsidy of up to 2.5 lakh on around 60,000 electric cars in India, whereas hybrids may get Rs. 20,000 over the next three years.
- The subsidy calculation will be done on the basis of the battery capacity of the respective vehicles, including electric two-wheelers and buses. The scheme will reportedly come into effect by April.
HRD ministry launched STARS scheme
- The Union Human Resource Minister Prakash Javadekar launched the STARS scheme on National Science Day.
- STARS is an acronym for Scheme for Translational and Advanced Research in Science to fund Science projects.
- The scheme will be implemented at a cost of 250 crores will be used for around 500 science projects.
- IISC will be the coordinator of the scheme
|Minister of Human Resource Development||Prakash Javadekar|
|Constituency||Madhya Pradesh, Rajya Sabha|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Assam government launched scheme for ex-militants
- Government launched a scheme to for making former militants explore self employment avenues.
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal ceremonially distributed sanction letters for disbursal of loan by nationalized banks along with government subsidy to surrendered cadres of different insurgent groups of the state under ‘Swabalamban’ scheme .
- The financial assistance is provided to promote self-employment and will benefit 508 surrendered cadres.
|Assam Chief Minister||Sarbananda Sonowal|
|Assam Governor||Jagdish Mukhi|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
DBS to operate as wholly-owned subsidiary in India from March 1
- The RBI approved merger of Singapore-based DBS Bank’s Indian unit with its wholly owned local subsidiary, DBS Bank India.
- The merger will be effective from March 1.
- The wholly-owned subsidiary model allows foreign lenders to be treated as a local bank, removing certain restrictions they face such as those on opening new branches.
|DBS Bank Tagline||Live more and bank less|
|DBS Bank CEO||Piyush Gupta|
RBI, Bank of Japan sign Bilateral Swap Arrangement
- Reserve Bank of India and Bank of Japan have signed a Bilateral Swap Arrangement (BSA).
- The BSA provides for India to access 75 billion US dollars whereas the earlier BSA had provided for 50 billion dollars.
- The financial cooperation would further enhance the strong economic ties between India and Japan
|RBI Governor||Shakthikanta Das|
|RBI Deputy Governors||B P Kanungo , Viral Acharya , N S Viswanathan , Mahesh Kumar Jain|
RBI forms task force to see overseas Rupee
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) task force would likely also suggest policy measures to strengthen the local markets, helping avoid wild swings in exchange rates for the rupee.
- The eight-member committee headed by UshaThorat – former deputy governor, AjitRanade – chief economist of Aditya Birla group, and SajjidChinoy – chief economist India, JPMorgan
- The committee will assess the causes behind the development of the offshore rupee market while studying the effects of the overseas market on the rupee exchange rate per dollar and liquidity in the domestic market.
To mark Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary Commemorative notes is to be released
- To celebrate the 150th birth anniversary year of Mahatma Gandhi, a Dubai-based numismatics company has launched a unique series of commemorative notes.
- The notes are designed by Dubai-based Indian artist, Akbar Saheb who is also the sole illustrator of Indian Prime Minister NarendraModi’s book, Mann Ki Baat. The illustrations on the note are based on interesting and famous incidents from Gandhi’s personal and political life.
- The limited-edition Zero Euro 12–notes commemorative series is being unveiled by UAE-based specialized numismatics company, Numisbing, with just 5000 notes of each design
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Goyal agrees to step down as Jet Airways chairman
- Jet Airways Founder Naresh Goyal has reportedly agreed to step down as the airline’s Chairman.
- On February 14, Jet Airways’ board had approved a Bank-Led Provisional Resolution Plan (BLPRP), whereby lenders would become the largest shareholders in the airline
- The cash-strapped airline has agreed to most of the conditions set by its second-largest shareholder Etihad for its revival.
- Etihad had agreed to invest in Jet Airways if Goyal stepped down from the board.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
CZPDC Bhopal and WZPDC Indore Honoured with Saubhagya Award
- TheCentral Zone Power Distribution Company (CZPDC), Bhopal and West Zone Power Distribution Company (WZPDC)Indore was conferred with the “Saubhagya Award” under Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana at the National Conference of Energy Ministers by the Union Minister of State for Energy, R.K. Singh.
- The award includes a cash prize of Rs 100 crore each.
|Union Minister of State for Energy||R.K.Singh|
PM confers Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prizes
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi conferred Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prizes for the years 2016, 2017 and 2018 in New Delhi.
- Several IITs combined won eight awards at the ceremony for the coveted Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology, in New Delhi. Close behind the IITs was the Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru (IISc), which won seven prizes at the ceremony.
- Eleven scientists were given the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for 2016. The awardees include Dr Rishikesh Narayan of Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru and Dr Amalendu Krishna of Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai.
- Among the ten scientists who got the prize for 2017 are Dr Deepak Gaur of Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi and Dr S Suresh Babu of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre.
- There were thirteen prize winners for 2018. They include Dr Amit Kumar of IIT, Delhi and Dr Nitin Saxena, IIT, Kanpur.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
Rising India Summit 2019 held in New Delhi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed News-18 Network Rising India Summit, held in New Delhi and laid out his vision for a ‘New India‘.
- The theme of the summit was,‘Beyond Politics: Defining National Priorities’.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
At Makran Cup One gold, five silver medals for India:
- National champion Deepak Singh was the lone Indian boxer to notch up gold while five others claimed silver medals in the Makran Cup in Chabahar, Iran.
- P Lalitha Prasad (52kg), Commonwealth Games silver-medal list Manish Kaushik (60kg), Duryodhan Singh Negi (69kg), Sanjeet (91kg) and Commonwealth Games silver-medallist Satish Kumar (91kg) they were finishing second on the podium.
- RohitTokas (64kg) and Manjeet Singh Panghal (75kg) settled down with bronze medal.
ISSF World Cup: Manu, Saurabh clinch 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team gold
- In shooting, the duo of Saurabh Chaudhary and Manu Bhaker claimed a gold medal for India in 10-metre air pistol mixed team event at the ISSF World Cup in New Delhi
- The Chinese duo of Ranxin Jiang and Bowen Zhang won silver.
- Bronze went to the Korean pair of Minjung Kim and Daehun Park.