Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Central government considering paying farmers cash instead of subsidies: Report
- India is considering a plan to transfer cash to farmers to ease their financial burden instead of offering subsidies.
- Central government is planning to combine all farm subsidies, including fertilizer costs, and instead pay farmers cash.
- The additional cost will be limited to 700 billion rupees ($9.8 billion) annually after a full roll-out of the program.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had budgeted 701 billion rupees for farm subsidies in the year ending March 31.
Army plans to buy over 3,000 anti-tank guided missiles from France
- The Indian Army is planning to purchase over 3,000 Milan 2T anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM) from France in a deal worth over ₹1,000 crore.
- The decision to procure Milan 2T ATGMs is a stopgap arrangement while the Army gets its own homegrown third-generation ATGM in its arsenal. Milan 2T has a range of over two kilometres.
- Indian Army has a requirement of around 70,000 anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM) of various types and around 850 launchers of different types even as it is looking for third-generation ATGMs with a longer range than that of its existing Milan-2T and Konkurs ATGMs.
- India had last year scrapped a programme to buy the Spike ATGM from Israel in view of the indigenous developments in this direction.
|France Currency||Euro, CFP Franc|
|France President||Emmanuel Macron|
|Chief of Indian Army||Bipin Rawat|
Vice Chief of Indian Army
India among the most trusted nations globally: Report
- India is among the most trusted nations globally when it comes to government, business, NGOs and media.
- The 2019 Edelman Trust Barometer report, which was released, ahead of the World Economic Forum meet in Davos, noted that the Global Trust Index witnessed a marginal increase of 3 points to 52.
- China topped the Trust Index among both the informed public and the general population segments.
- India was at the second place in the informed public category and third place in the general population category.
- The Index is the average per cent of trust in NGOs, business, government and media.
All-woman political party launched in Maharashtra
- An all-woman political party was launched in Mumbai under the banner of National Women’s Party (NWP).
- The party aims to field candidates in half of the state’s 48 Lok Sabha constituencies.
- The party has also been launched in Delhi and Karnataka.
- The first-ever women’s political party unveiled its agenda and stated they would demand 50 per cent reservation for women in elected bodies, including in Lok Sabha.
|Maharashtra Chief Minister||Devendra Fadnavis|
|Maharashtra Governor||C. Vidyasagar Rao|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Rajasthan government to issue 1Lakh power connections to farmers by June
- Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot has directed officials to issue one lakh electricity connections by June to farmers who have deposited the demand money.
- He also asked them to expedite the work on solar energy to provide households in remote areas with electricity.
- He further asked them to ensure no power cuts in domestic connections between 7am-11am, and 6pm-10pm.
|Rajasthan Chief Minister||Ashok Gehlot|
|Rajasthan Governor||Kalyan Singh|
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister launches nursery classes in government schools
- A scheme introducing nursery classes in State-run schools was launched by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami.
- The classes would be conducted jointly by the School Education Department and the Social Welfare Department in all 32 districts.
- The scheme, with Montesorri education as the basis, is expected to benefit about 52,900 children in 2,381 anganwadi centres located in State-run middle schools.
- The schools would be managed by headmasters of middle schools and would be under the administrative control of officials of the Integrated Child Development Scheme.
|Tamil Nadu Capital||Chennai|
|Tamil Nadu Chief Minister||Edappadi K. Palaniswami|
|Tamil Nadu Governor||Banwarilal Purohit|
Assam approves 10% quota for economically weaker sections of general class
- The Assam Cabinet has approved 10% quota for the economically weaker sections of the general category in government jobs and education.
- The meeting chaired by Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal also the approved the guidelines for disbursement of ₹5,000 each to five lakh farmers of the state under the Mukhya Mantri Krishi Sa Sajuli Yozana for purchase of farm tools and implements.
- The Cabinet approved a loan amount of ₹95 crore from NABARD.
- The loan amount will be utilised to construct and strengthen embankments, dykes and other infrastructure across the state.
- The Cabinet also approved incentives for government doctors, nurses and other healthcare workers under Ayushman Bharat and Atal Amrit Abhiyan.
|Assam Chief Minister||Sarbananda Sonowal|
|Assam Governor||Jagdish Mukhi|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
LIC completes 51% controlling acquisition in IDBI Bank
- The country’s largest life insurer LIC has completed acquisition of 51% stake in the IDBI bank, making it the lender’s majority shareholder.
- The deal had received approval from the Union Cabinet in August last year.
- It was completed through a combination of preferential allotment and open offer of equity.
- IDBI Bank has about 1.5 crore retail customers and about 18,000 employees.
|IDBI Bank Headquarters||Mumbai|
|IDBI Bank MD and CEO||Rakesh Sharma|
|IDBI Bank Tagline||Banking For All, “Aao Sochein Bada”.|
|LIC Chirman||Hemant Bhargav|
|LIC Tagline||Zindagi ke Saath bhi, zindagi ke baad bhi|
ICICI Bank launches premium savings account for men
- ICICI Bank has launched a new premium savings account for upwardly-mobile male customers, named ‘The ONE’. It is available in two variants – Magnum and Titanium.
- It offers the account holder with a range of benefits including the option of opting for health and term life insurance. It also waives the processing fees for home loans for account holders.
- When the customer opens the account, the bank provides an Amazon Gift Card on specified debit card spends, using which they can join Amazon Prime.
- The account holders of the Titanium variant will also recieve a complimentary one-year subscription of Zomato Gold.
|ICICI Bank Headquarters||Mumbai|
|ICICI Bank MD and CEO||Sandeep Bakhshi|
|ICICI Bank Tagline||Hum Hain Na!|
National Company Law Tribunal approves merger of Tata Teleservices with Bharti Airtel
- The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) has approved Bharti Airtel’s acquisition of Tata Teleservices’ (TTSL) mobility business.
- The merger, which is subject to the approval of Department of Telecommunications (DoT) now, will help Airtel to strengthen its 4G network and compete with Reliance Jio and come closer to number one player, Vodafone-Idea, in terms of market share.
- Airtel will get additional spectrum pool of 178.5 MHz in the 1800, 2100 and 850 MHz bands — all widely used for 4G — out of this merger.
|Bhart Airtel Headquarters||New Delhi|
|Bhart Airtel CEO||Gopal Vittal|
|Tata Teleservices’ Headquarters||Mumbai|
|Tata Teleservices’ CEO||Srinath Narasimhan|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS
World Economic Forum held in Davos
- The annual meet of World Economic Forum (WEF) begin in Davos.
- World leaders from across the globe will flock to the ski resort town on the Swiss Alps for five days to discuss what’s ailing the world amid fears of the global economy sleepwalking into a crisis.
- Those expected to attend include German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Swiss President Ueli Maurer, Japan’s Shinzo Abe, Italy’s Giuseppe Conte and Israel’s Benjamin Netanyahu among more than 30 heads of states/government, as also CEOs of global corporations, central bankers, economists, civil society leaders, media heads, celebrities and heads of international organisations like IMF, WTO, OECD and World Bank, among more than 3,000 participants.
- More than 100 CEOs from India are expected to participate in the meet. Nobel Laureate Kailash Satyarthi and filmmaker Karan Johar are also going to be a part of session which would be open for public.
|Theme||‘Globalization 4.0: Shaping a Global Architecture in the Age of the Fourth Industrial Revolution’|
|Switzerland President||Alain Berset|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Kohli became first player to win all three top ICC awards in single year
- Virat Kohli has become the first player to win all three major annual ICC awards in a single year for his performances in 2018.
- Kohli was named Men’s Test Player of the Year for the first time, while he also won Cricketer and ODI Player of Year awards.
- He was also named captain of Test and ODI teams of 2018.
|ICC Headquarters||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
|ICC Chairman||Shashank Manohar|
Former India hockey player Raghbir Bhola passes away
- Former India hockey player Raghbir Singh Bhola, a two-time Olympic medallist, has passed away
- Bholarepresented India in the 1956 Melbourne and 1960 Rome Olympics, winning a gold and silver medals respectively for the country.
- He successfully captained the Indian Air Force hockey and Services team from 1954-60 and won the Inter Services Hockey Championship three times and the National Hockey Championship on two occasions.
- In 2000, he was honoured with the Arjuna Award for his achievements in hockey.