Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
National Voters’ Day observed on January 25
- The 9th National Voters’ Day celebrated across the country on January 25 for enhanced participation of citizens in the electoral process.
- The National Awards for the Best Electoral Practices will be conferred on Officers for their outstanding performance in the conduct of elections.
- The National Voters’ Day is celebrated all over the country on January 25 every year since 2011 to mark the Foundation day of Election Commission of India, which was established on 25th January 1950.
- The main purpose of the celebration is to encourage, facilitate and maximize the enrollment, especially for the new voters.
|Theme 2019||No Voter to be Left Behind|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
10% quota in government jobs applicable from February
- Central government jobs and services which come up from February onwards will have to implement the 10% quota for economically weaker sections (EWS), the Union ministry of personnel, grievances and pensions has notified.
- An order passed by the ministry refers to an office memorandum of the social justice ministry, which mentions the Constitution (One Hundred and Third Amendment) Act 2019, that provides 10% reservation to the EWS category in jobs as well as educational institutions.
- Persons who are not covered under the existing scheme of reservations and whose family income is below Rs 8 lakh are identified as EWS for the benefit of reservation.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Saudi Arabia builds its 1st ballistic missile factory
- Saudi Arabia, which does not currently possess nuclear weapons, has built its first-known ballistic missile factory.
- Satellite images reviewed by the experts appeared to show a rocket-engine production and test facility. The factory is reportedly in the same location as the al-Watah missile base which first became public in 2013.
|Saudi Arabia Capital||Riyadh|
|Saudi Arabia Currency||Riyal|
|Saudi Arabia King||Salman of Saudi Arabia|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Deals worth ₹3 lakh crore signed at Tamil Nadu Global Investors Meet
- Tamil Nadu CM Edappadi K Palaniswami announced the state has signed agreements amounting to over ₹3 lakh crore during the second edition of the Global Investors Meet (GIM).
- Some of the biggest investors included Chennai Petroleum, Hyundai Motor India and MRF.
- MoUs worth ₹30,000 crore were signed between the government and nearly 12,000 small businesses.
|Tamil Nadu Capital||Chennai|
|Tamil Nadu Chief Minister||Edappadi K. Palaniswami|
|Tamil Nadu Governor||Banwarilal Purohit|
Goa Cabinet approves ₹2,000 fine for drinking in public
- The Goa Cabinet has approved a proposal to impose a fine of ₹2,000 on people who drink alcohol or cook in public and a fine of ₹10,000 if a group of people is doing so.
- Offenders who do not pay the fine will face up to three months’ imprisonment.
- The amendment is expected to be tabled during the Assembly session.
|Goa Chief Minister||ManoharParrikar|
MIB to extend support for organizing 2nd Jharkhand International Film Festival at Ranchi
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting will extend support for organizing second Jharkhand International Film Festival at Ranchi in Jharkhand to promote and showcase the Best of Indian cinema. The three-day Film Festival will be held from 1st of next month.
- The objective of promoting the Festival is to encourage states that have showcased potential of promoting cinema.
- The aim of the scheme is to promote good films reflecting the changes and challenges and opportunities of society and to provide an opportunity of exposure to regional films to new trends in cinema.
|Minister of Information and Broadcasting||Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore|
|Constituency||Jaipur Rural, Rajasthan|
Punjab government to set up development authority for Anandpur Sahib
- The development authority for Anandpur Sahib will be set up to execute the development plans in the wake of the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev in November this year.
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh made this announcement at Anandpur Sahib.
- The authority would be established on the pattern of Dera Baba Nanak Development Authority.
|Punjab Chief Minister||Amarinder Singh|
|Punjab Governor||V.P. Singh Badnore|
12th Jaipur literature festival begins
- 12th Jaipur literature festival, considered to be the Kumbh of Literature, held in Jaipur.
- Around 500 authors, literateurs and thinkers are participating in the five-day event.
- Writers from 17 languages are participating this time and the youngest author is just 10 years old.
- The festival is to host many well-known personalities including Prasoon Joshi, Javed Akthar, and many others.
|Rajasthan Chief Minister||Ashok Gehlot|
|Rajasthan Governor||Kalyan Singh|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
SBI Card and Etihad Guest tie-up to launch premium card for international travel
- SBI Card and Etihad Guest, the loyalty programme of Etihad Airways, have joined hands to launch a travel specific Visa credit card for members and Indian travellers.
- This is the first international co-brand partnership of SBI Card, the country’s second largest credit card issuer.
- The card will be available in two variants, Etihad Guest SBI Card and Etihad Guest SBI Premier Card, will bring an unmatched value proposition to Etihad Guest members and international travellers from India.
- It has been launched against the backdrop of increasing international travel in the country.
- Travel is now a key spend category for Indian consumers, with 33 per cent of overall card spends in the SBI Card portfolio made within the travel industry.
|State Bank of India Headquarters||Mumbai|
|State Bank of India Tagline||With you all the way, Pure Banking Nothing Else, The Nation’s banks on us.|
|State Bank of India MD and CEO||Rajnish Kumar|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Sultan Abdullah elected as new Malaysian king
- Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah was elected as Malaysia’s new king by the members of the country’s royal families.
- The 59-year-old was earlier appointed the Sultan of the Malaysian state of Pahang.
- He replaces Sultan Muhammad V of Kelantan, who stepped down earlier this month, making it the first abdication in Malaysia’s history.
|Malaysia Capital||Kuala Lambur|
|Malaysia King||Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah|
IndiGo appoints aviation veteran Ronojoy Dutta as new CEO
- India’s biggest airline IndiGo has named Ronojoy Dutta as its CEO for a period of five years.
- The 67-year-old takes over from Co-founder and interim CEO Rahul Bhatia, who was filling in after Aditya Ghosh’s departure last year.
- An IIT and Harvard alumnus, Dutta was with United Airlines for 17 years and served as its President between 1999 and 2002.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
DRDO successfully test-fires Barak 8 LRSAM missile
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully test-fired Barak 8 LRSAM (Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile) from naval warship INS Chennai off the coast of Odisha.
- The missile (directly) hit a low flying aerial target.
- The Barak 8 LRSAM missile defence system has been jointly developed by DRDO and Israel Aerospace Industries.
|DRDO Headquarters||New Delhi|
|DRDO Chairman||G. Satheesh Reddy|
ISRO launches student-made satellite Kalamsat-V2 into space
- ISRO’s rocket was mainly to put into orbit a 740-kg satellite named Microsat-R that will be used to take high-resolution photographs of the earth.
- This satellite will be used by the Indian Defence research team.
- The satellite was launched using the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) and was successfully placed into orbit.
- On board the PSLV was the world’s lightest satellite that was built by Indian students.
- This satellite weighs just 1.2Kgs and is named Kalamsat v2.
- The satellite cost the student team around Rs. 12 Lakhs, but ISRO launched it into orbit for free.
- The 1.2Kg Kalamsat v2 was prepared in 6 days, and was under development since the last 6 years.
- The 20+ team of students at Space Kidz India were headed by Srimathy Kesan.
|ISRO Director||Kailasavadivoo Sivan|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Botha announces immediate retirement from all forms of Cricket
- Former South Africa all-rounder Johan Botha has announced his immediate retirement from all forms of Cricket.
- Botha played for South Africa in five test matches, 78 one-day internationals and 40 T20 Internationals from 2005 to 2012.
- Botha captained the Proteas in 10 ODIs and took the team to the No. 1 ranking after they defeated Australia 4-1 in Australia in 2009.
|South Africa Capital||Cape Town, Pretoria, Bloemfontein|
|South Africa Currency||Rand|
|South Africa President||Cyril Ramaphosa|
Committee of Administrators of BCCI lifts suspensions on HardikPandya, KL Rahul
- Committee of Administrators of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has lifted the suspension on HardikPandya and KL Rahul.
- Both were suspended from the Indian team for their controversial remarks on women on a TV show.
- BCCI has also confirmed that Pandya will join the Indian team for the New Zealand series while Rahul will join the India ‘A’ Squad that is currently playing a series of one-day matches against England Lions in Thiruvananthapuram.
|BCCI President||C.K. Khanna|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Famous Hindi writer Krishna Sobti passes away
- Famous Hindi writer and essayist, Krishna Sobti passed away. She was 94.
- She had won the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1980 for her novel Zindaginama and was awarded the Jnanpith in 2017 for her contribution to Indian literature.