Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try the Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
New India-UK scheme to fund students from UK to visit India
- A new India-UK bilateral pilot scheme has been launched to support Britain’s universities to collaborate with Indian partners to send UK students to India during their studies.
- The “UKEIRI Mobility Programme: Study in India”, an initiative of Universities UK International (UUKI) and British Council India.
- It aims to generate up to 200 opportunities for undergraduate students at UK universities to visit India by March 2021.
- Priority for the programme to visit India during their courses will be given to students from traditionally underrepresented groups.
- The Study in India programme will support national and institutional-level objectives to increase the levels of outward student mobility from the UK to 13 per cent by 2020, as set out in UUKi’s “Go International: Stand Out” campaign.
- The programme will be funded by the UK and Indian governments as part of Phase 3 of the UK-India Education Research Initiative (UKEIRI) and delivered by the British Council, Universities UK International and EdCIL in India.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Railway’s first printing press heritage gallery opened
- Western Railway has opened the first of its kind printing press heritage gallery at Mahalaxmi in Mumbai. This unique heritage gallery was inaugurated by V P Pathak, member (Materials Management) of the Railway Board during his recent visit to Mumbai.
- Western Railway Mahalaxmi General Stores Depot (GSD) has become the first in Indian Railways to portray a heritage gallery of the printing and allied machines used in the Western Railway Printing Press.
Govt sets target for installation of Solar projects of 40,000 MW by 2022
- The government has set a target for the installation of Rooftop Solar projects of forty thousand MegaWatt by 2022 in the country.
- The projects include installation of solar panels on the rooftop of houses.
- An average it is estimated that 1.5 million units per MegaWatt per year are generated from solar rooftop plants.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
ADB sanctions about Rs 2000 Cr for power projects in Tripura
- Asian Development Bank has sanctioned 1,925 crore rupees project for upgradation of power generation and distribution in Tripura.
- The amount was recently sanctioned to the Tripura State Electricity Corporation Limited.
- The project has been sanctioned for upgrading capacity of 63 MW Rokhia Project to 120 MW at an estimated cost of over 699 crore and modernising Gumti Hydro Electric Project at an estimated cost of nearly 1225 crore rupees.
- Rokhia project is located at West Tripura district whereas Gumti project is in Gomati district.
|Asian Development Bank (ADB)|
SEBI fixes minimum staggered delivery period of 5 days for commodity futures
- Capital markets regulator SEBI fixed the minimum duration of the staggered delivery period at five working days for all commodity futures in order to bring uniformity in the timeline across exchanges.
- Staggered delivery period is the duration during which sellers or buyers having open position may submit an intention to give or take the delivery of the contract.
- At present, there is no uniformity in the length of staggered delivery period for commodity futures contracts across exchanges even for the same commodities.
- It clarified that the exchanges shall have the flexibility to set higher duration of staggered delivery period for a commodity futures contract after taking into account factors such as historical open interest, volume near expiry etc.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Global Ayurveda Summit 2019 to be held at Kochi, Kerala
- The Global Ayurveda Summit Kerala features four components: an international conference, exposition, Start-up contest and a focused business to business meeting platform and the exposition and business to business meetings will enable key players in the Ayurveda and related sectors to exhibit their products and services.
- The event will ensure the participation of all stakeholders to share their views and jointly take action towards the upliftment of Ayurveda in India and globally.
- Theme of Global Ayurveda Summit 2019: ‘Mainstreaming Ayurveda Startups, Innovation and Branding.’
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Mark Esper appointed as Pentagon chief
- The U.S. Senate confirmed former soldier Mark Esper as Secretary of Defence, filling America’s longest-ever Pentagon leadership vacuum as Washington faces mounting tensions with Iran.
- The 55-year old former Raytheon executive and secretary of the army takes over as permanent head of the Pentagon from Jim Mattis.
BS Yediyurappa takes over as Karnataka CM for fourth time
- For the fourth time in a political career spanning five decades, BookanakereSiddalingappaYediyurappa took oath as the Chief Minister of Karnataka.
- Governor VajubhaiVala administered the oath of office to him in a simple ceremony held at the Raj Bhavan’s Glass House. Yediyurappa took oath in the name of God.
Congress leader AdhirRanjanChowdhury appointed PAC Chairman
- The leader of the Congress party in LokSabha, AdhirRanjanChowdhury was appointed as the Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC).
- In the last term, the post was held by Congress leader MallikarjunKharge, who in the recently concluded elections lost from Gulbarga constituency in Karnataka to BJP’s UmeshJadhav.
- The PAC has 15 members from LokSabha and seven from RajyaSabha. The term of office of members of the committee does not exceed one year at a time.
Priti Patel takes charge as home secretary in Boris Johnson cabinet
- Priti Patel, an ardent Brexiteer who was among the most vocal critics of Theresa May’s Brexit strategy, took charge as Britain’s first Indian-origin home secretary as part of Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s top team.
- She replaces Pakistani-origin SajidJavid, who moves to the Treasury department as the first ethnic minority Chancellor of the Exchequer.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOUR
PriyaPriyadarshini Jain receives ‘Indian Woman of Influence Award’ at House of Lords
- Eminent fashionista, social entrepreneur and philanthropist PriyaPriyadarshini Jain has been felicitated with the prestigious ‘Indian Woman of Influence’ award at the House of Lords, the United Kingdom Parliament, London.
- “Indian Woman of Influence Awards” had awardees from various countries like Britain, India, USA, Spain, and Scotland. The award recognized the power of Indian women residing in different parts of the world. This award assures that women of Indian origin are the leaders in their respective fields in the countries they presently live.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
IIT Kharagpur team develops app CARE4U for elderly people
- In a move to help geriatric care, students of IIT Kharagpur have built an app which will inform the caregiver when the elderly person falls down with the exact location.
- CARE4U’ the android-based app will connect the caregiver to the elderly person. The app has been built by an interdisciplinary team of the second year B-Tech students of the institute.
- The app has a record of medical histories, allergies’ account, an SOS button, real time location tracking and so on.
India all set to launch first-ever space war exercise ‘IndSpaceEx’
- India is all set to launch first ever space war exercise months after success of Mission Shakti. Joint Space Doctrine can also be launched after space war exercise. This exercise will help India to prepare for future space wars. The entire program has been prepared according to the vision of Prime Minister NarendraModi.
- Ministry of Defence will organize exercise with all three forces together and draw up future plans of any such eventualities. As per a media report, this exercise has been named ‘IndSpaceEx’.
- After Mission Shakti India had become fourth country in the world after Russia, USA and China to have ASAT power.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
User-Friendly Interface Defence Production Dashboard Launched
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has unveiled a Dashboard of Department Defence Production (DDP) for effective monitoring of various initiatives and schemes taken up by the Ministry of Defence.
- Rajnath Singh launched Department of Defence Production Dashboard -http://ddpdashboard.gov.in for effective monitoring of various initiatives and schemes of the department.
- The dynamic online dashboard shows all key data of the nation’s defence manufacturing sector.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Byju’s replaces Oppo as Team India’s official sponsor: BCCI
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced that Bengaluru-based education and learning app Byju’s, which is owned by Think and Learn Private Limited, has replaced Oppo India as the official Team India sponsor.
- The deal period will begin from 5 September, 2019 until 31 March, 2022.
BCCI approves Indian Cricketers Association
- The BCCI has approved the Indian Cricketers Association (ICA), the body formed as per the board’s new constitution to look after the interest of former players.
- The ICA is not affiliated to Federation of International Cricketers’ Association (FICA) and is only open to former men and women cricketers, unlike the players’ associations in most countries.
- The functioning of ICA will be independent of BCCI’s functioning and the association will have to generate its own funds even though the board will provide some initial grants.
- Former India cricketers KapilDev, AjitAgarkar and ShanthaRangaswamy are the directors at ICA.
CaelebDressel Breaks Michael Phelps’ 100m Butterfly World Record
- American swimmer CaelebDressel set the new world record in the men’s 100 meter butterfly during the World Championships in Gwangju, South Korea.
- Dressel came in at 49.50 during the second semi-final in the event, breaking the old record of 49.82 set by Michael Phelps in August 2009.
- It’s the second world record once held by Phelps to be broken this week.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Veteran journalist, writer SrikantaSarma passes away
- IndragantiSrikanta Sarma a veteran journalist, writer and lyricist passed away. He was aged 75.
- Sarma has worked with the All India Radio and has worked in a Telugu magazine as the editor. He has written ‘Malavika‘ and ‘Aalapana‘ among others.