Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try the Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
World Hepatitis Day
- World Hepatitis Day is observed annually on 28 July to generate an opportunity to step up national and international efforts on hepatitis.
- This day make people aware about the hepatitis disease and its consequences in the life of the people suffering from it.
|Theme 2019||“Invest in eliminating hepatitis”|
World Nature Conservation Day
- World Nature Conservation Day is observed on 28 July every year to recognise that a healthy environment is the foundation for a stable and productive society and for the future generations. We must protect, conserve and sustainably manage our natural resources.
National Parent’s Day
- National Parents Day is observed on fourth Sunday in July and in 2019 it falls on 28 July. This day is celebrated to honours all the parents who play a vital role in the lives of children.
- Their unconditional love and sacrifice for their children can’t be measured.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
BRICS Foreign Ministers Meeting 2019 held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- BRICS Foreign Ministers Meet was held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- India was represented by Gen. (retd) VK Singh who is the Union Minister of State for Road Transport and Highways.
- The meeting focused on the importance of upholding and supporting the objectives of Financial Action Task Force (FATF) and intensifying cooperation to implement and improve its Standards on Combating Money Laundering and the Financing of Terrorism and Proliferation.
- The Ministers emphasized the importance to comply with and strengthen the Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production and Stockpiling of Bacteriological (Biological) and Toxin Weapons and on their Destruction (BTWC), including by adopting a Protocol to the Convention that provides for, inter alia, an efficient verification mechanism.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
GST rate on EVs cut from 12% to 5%; reduced rate effective from August 1
- 36th Goods & Service Tax (GST) Council Meeting was held in New Delhi Via Video Conference under the chairmanship of Union Finance & Corporate Affairs Minister Smt. NirmalaSitharaman.
- The GST Council made the following changes in the GST rate on supply of goods and services which will be effective from August 1, 2019.
- The GST rate on all Electric Vehicles (EVs) was reduced from 12% to 5%.
- The GST rate on charger or charging stations for EVs was reduced from 18% to 5%.
- Hiring of electric buses (of carrying capacity of more than 12 passengers) by local authorities was exempted from GST.
- The last date for filing of intimation in FORM GST CMP-02, for availing the option of payment of tax under notification No. 2/2019-Central Tax (Rate) dated 07.03.2019 (by exclusive supplier of services) was extended from July 31, 2019 to September 30, 2019.
- The last date for furnishing statement containing the details of the self-assessed tax in FORM GST CMP-08 for the quarter April, 2019 to June, 2019 (by taxpayers under composition scheme) was extended from July 31, 2019 to August 31, 2019.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
IBBI sets one-year timeline for liquidation process of insolvent companies
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) has changed the process of liquidation to make it time-bound. The new rules say that the process must be finished within one year of its commencment.
- The new regulations also say that a compromise between the stakeholders must happen within 90 days of the liquidation order.
- The amendment requires the financial creditors to contribute towards the liquidation costs, when the company does not have resources. This can be recovered with interest later.
- For these changes, the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (Insolvency Resolution Process for Corporate Persons) (Amendment) Regulations, 2019 and the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (Liquidation Process) (Amendment) Regulations, 2019 have been notified.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINMENTS
RAW officer V K Johri appointed as new BSF Director General
- K. Johri has been appointed as the next Director General (DG) of Border Security Force
- Johri, a 1984-batch Indian Police Service officer of the Madhya Pradesh cadre, is presently serving as the Special Secretary in the external intelligence agency RAW, under the Cabinet Secretariat.
- The order has been issued by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) that is headed by Prime Minister NarendraModi and has Home Minister Amit Shah as its member
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOUR
VidishaBaliyan Becomes First Indian To Win Miss Deaf World Pageant
- VidishaBaliyan, 21, a girl from Uttar Pradesh’s Muzaffarnagar city was just crowned Miss Deaf World 2019, held in Mbombela, South Africa.
- She became the first Indian to win this crown. Vidisha, who is a modelling student of Asian Academy of Film & Television.
Meryl Streep to Receive Tribute Actor Award at the Toronto Film Festival
- Meryl Streep will be the first recipient of an acting award bestowed as part of the Toronto International Film Festival.
- The festival’s organizers announced that Streep will receive the inaugural TIFF Tribute Actor Award during a Sept. 9 charity gala.
- Streep is the most nominated actor in the history of Oscar Award (21 times) and has won the Oscar three times.
SudarsanPattnaik wins People’s Choice Prize at Boston International Sand Art Championship
- Renowned sand artist SudarshanPattnaik has added another feather to his cap by bagging People’s Choice Prize at the Boston International Sand Art Championship.
- Pattnaik sculpted his sand art based on the global issue of plastic pollution with a message inscribed “Save our Ocean”, which fetched him the award.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
5th Dharma-Dhamma conference to be held in Rajgir
- The fifth international Dharma-Dhamma conference was inaugurated on by Union Minister of State KirenRijiju in the presence of Sri Lanka’s Home Minister GaminiJaiwickramaPerera, Bhutan’s Home and Culture Minister LyonpoSherubGyeltshen, senior BJP leader Ram Madhav and JunaAkhada’sAwadheshanandaGiriJiMaharaj.
- The main purpose of this conference is to address people about the terror, violence and global warming prevalent in the world.
- This two-day conference will address the subjects of Sat-Chit-Ananda and Nirvana which are the pivotal topics of Buddhism. This conference is being hosted by Rajgir for the second time.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
VP Venkaiah Naidu releases book titled ‘New-Age Technology and Industrial Revolution 4.0’
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu released titled ‘New-Age Technology and Industrial Revolution 4.0’ book written by RajyaSabha Member, NarendraJadhav. He congratulated him for giving the Book which is of great contemporary relevance.
- This book examines and elaborates on various dimensions of the so-called Industrial Revolution 4.0.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Verstappen wins German GP, Vettel second and Hamilton 11th
- Max Verstappen wins the German Grand Prix 2019. He is a Belgian-Dutch who drives for Red Bull.
- This is his second win in this season after Austria Grand Prix.
- Sebastian Vettel was on the second spot while DaniilKvyat was on third.
Mary Kom, Six Other Indians Clinch Gold Medal In 23rd President’s Cup
- MC Mary Kom, the six-time world champion, defeated Australia’s April Franks in the 23rd President’s Cup to clinch the gold medal in a one-sided 51kg category final in Labuan Bajo, Indonesia.
- The Indian boxers finished their campaign with nine medals, including seven gold and two silver, helping the contingent win the ‘Best Team’ award.
- The women boxers had a flawless record in the finals, winning all the four gold medals on offer, the men had mixed fortunes and had to settle for two silver along with three gold.
Ashish Kumar clinches gold as India grab eight medals at Thailand Open
- Asian Championships silver medallistAshish Kumar bagged his first international gold, even as Indian boxers finished their campaign with a rich haul of eight medals at Thailand Open International boxing tournament in Bangkok.
- India finished with a gold, four silver and three bronze.
- Silver: NikhatZareen (51kg), Deepak (49kg), Mohammed Hussamuddin (56kg), and BrijeshYadav (81kg).
- Bronze: Manju Rani (48kg), Ashish (69kg) and BhagyabatiKachari (75kg)
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Disney Legend Russi Taylor passes away
- Acclaimed voice actor and Disney Legend Russi Taylor passed away in Glendale, California. She was 75.
- Russi is best known as the official voice of Minnie Mouse. She first assumed the role more than 30 years ago and has given voice to Minnie in hundreds of Disney projects—from television, to theme park experiences, animated shorts, and theatrical films—no performance was too tough for Russi’s accomplished take on the divine Miss Minnie Mouse.
Former union minister S. Jaipal Reddy passes away
- Former union minister and senior Congress leader from Telangana, S. Jaipal Reddy passed away.
- The five-time member of LokSabha, four-time MLA and two-time RajyaSabha member reportedly died while undergoing treatment for pneumonia. He was aged 77.