Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Delhi’s IGI Airport gets India’s tallest ATC Tower
- The tallest ATC tower in the country which is expected to enhance safety and efficiency of air transport management services over the capital’s skies was inaugurated at the IGI Airport.
- Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri inaugurated the Delhi Air Traffic Service Complex, which is the tallest Air Traffic Control tower in India with a height of 102 metres.
- The new complex comprises of three buildings – the Aerodrome Control Tower, Area & Approach Control Services Building and the Administrative Block – constructed at the cost of approximately₹250 crore while the equipment cost₹100 crore.
- The commissioning of the new tower is expected to enhance the efficiency of air traffic management services at the IGIA which is the busiest airport in India.
- At a height of 102 meters, the tower enables air traffic controllers to have better visibility of all the three runways, apron area and taxiways.
India to contribute USD 22 mn to Global Fund for AIDS, TB, malaria
- India has announced a contribution of USD 22 million to the Global Fund for AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFTAM) for 2020-22 as part of its commitment towards eliminating these diseases.
- India shares a sustained partnership with the Global Fund since 2002, both as recipient and as a donor.
- An increase of 10 per cent over the amount contributed by us in the fifth cycle.
Tinsukia Junction becomes India’s 4000th railway station to get free public WiFi
- Tinsukia Junction in northeast region (Assam) has become the 4000th railway station in the country to have free public WiFi.
- RailWireWiFi will be available to any user who has a smartphone with a working mobile connection.
- Free WiFi is a pro-passenger initiative of the Ministry which in line the Prime Minister’s ‘Digital India’ programme.
|Ministry of Railways &Ministry of Commerce and Industry|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
‘One nation-one ration card’ scheme commences in Odisha capital
- Central Government’s ‘One nation-one ration card’ scheme was today implemented on a pilot basis in the areas under the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC).
- The scheme will be rolled out in other parts of the state in phases, said Food Supplies and Consumer Welfare Minister RanendraPratap Swain.
- The ‘One nation-one ration card’ scheme enables Food Security Act card holders to collect their ration from any PDS shop across the state.
- Beneficiaries need to link their ration cards with Aadhaar cards to avail the facility, a deadline for which has been extended by the State Government till September 15.
Nuakhai: The greatest harvesting festival of Odisha
- Nuakhai, as the name suggests that nua means new and khai means food. So, the festival of nuakhai is a festival to celebrate newly harvested food by the farmers.
- One day after the celebration of Ganesh Chaturthi it is celebrated especially in the Western part of Odisha with much pump and jubilation.
- People staying in distant lands come back to their native places, wear new clothes and offer prayers before the God and eat delicious foods prepared from the newly harvested crops.
|Odisha CM||Naveen Patnaik|
Nepal inaugurates educational institution built withIndia’s assistance
- Nepal’s Attorney General Agni Prasad Kharel and Ambassador of India to Nepal Manjeev Singh Puri jointly inaugurated a school building constucted with India’s assistance in Jhapa District
- The new building of Shree Schoolchaun Higher Secondary School has been built with Government of India’s grant of 35.70 million Nepali Rupees.
- The two story building comprises 25 classrooms, laboratory, library, multipurpose hall, rooms for principal, staff and accounts section and separate toilets for boys and girls on each floor.
- Shree Schoolchaun Higher Secondary School is an educational institution of repute in Jhapa district of Nepal.
|Nepal Currency||Nepalese rupee|
|Nepal President||Bidya Devi Bhandari|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Irdai sets up panel to revisit 3-yr old trade credit insurance guidelines
- Insurance regulator Irdai has decided to review its three-year old guidelines on trade credit insurance in line with the changing requirements of the market.
- Trade credit insurance policy provides coverage to supplier of goods and services against delay in payment or non-payments of trade credit.
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (Irdai) has set up a nine-member working group headed by New India Assurance CMD AtulSahai with an aim to review March 2016 guidelines.
- The panel, which has been asked to submit its report in three-months, would study the need and scope for changes in the current guidelines keeping with the times and requirements of various segments of market.
|IRDAI- Regulatory and Development Authority of India|
|Chairperson||Subhash Chandra Khuntia|
ESIC Signs Agreement With SBI For Payments To ESIC Beneficiaries on Real Time Basis
- Employees’ State Insurance Corporation has partnered with State Bank of India for direct transfer of benefits electronically into bank accounts of all stakeholders.
- SBI will provide e-payment services directly to bank accounts of all ESIC beneficiaries and payees without any manual intervention as an integrated and automated process.
- The bank would provide e-payment integration with the enterprise resource planning processes of ESIC through its cash management product e-payment technology platform.
- The e-payment integration would effect statutory benefit payments to ESIC beneficiaries as well as other payees on real time basis, reducing time lags and delays and at the same time, help eliminate mistakes and errors caused by repetitive and manual data entries.
|State Bank of India Headquarters||Mumbai|
|State Bank of India Tagline||The Banker to every Indian|
|State Bank of India Chairperson||Rajnish Kumar|
ICICI Bank deploys ‘robotic arms’ to count currency notes
- The robots are taking over one more function at the country’s second largest private lender. ICICI Bank announced the deployment of industrial ‘Robotic Arms’ to digitise operations at its currency chests.
- With this move it has become India’s first commercial bank – and among a few across the globe – to customise and deploy industrial robots to automate repetitive high volume steps in handling cash processing on high-end note sorting machines.
|ICICI Bank Headquarters||Mumbai|
|Tagline||Hum Hain Na!|
|MD & CEO||SandeepBakhshi|
GST Revenue collectionin August stands at Rs 98,202 crore
- GST collection in the month of August stood at 98,202 crore rupees.
- The total number of GSTR 3B Returns filed for the month of July up to 31st of August is around 76 lakh.
- The government has settled 23 thousand 165 crore rupees to CGST and 16 thousand 623 crore rupees to SGST from IGST as a regular settlement. The total revenue earned by the Central Government and the State Governments after regular settlement in the month of August 2019 is 40,898 crore rupees for CGST and 40 thousand 862 crores for the SGST.
- 27,955 crore rupees have been released to the states as GST compensation for the months of June and July this year.
Cabinet approves Rs 9,300 crore capital infusion in IDBI Bank
- The government has approved Rs. 9,300 crore fund infusion in IDBI Bankto help improve the bank’s capital base and turn it profitable
- Out of Rs 9,300 crore, the government will infuse Rs 4,557 crore, and Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) will invest Rs 4,743 crore.
- IDBI Bank’s gross bad loan ratio stood at 29.12% in the first quarter of the current fiscal year, the highest among all Indian banks
- The shareholding of the government was reduced to 46.46 per cent from 86 per cent while LIC stake in the bank increased to 51 per cent in January this year
|IDBI Bank MD & CEO||Rakesh Sharma|
|IDBI Bank Headquarters||Mumbai|
|IDBI Bank Tagline||AaoSocheinBada|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
A one day Joint India- New Development Bank (NDB)Workshop held in New Delhi
- Joint India- NDB workshop on Enhancing NDB’s engagement with the India private and public sector was held in New Delhi
- The workshop was co-organized by NDB and the Department of Economic Affairs (DEA) Ministry of Finance, Government of India.
- The NDB is the first Multilateral Development Bank established by developing countries and emerging economies — Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa
- India is one of the founding members, holding 20% stake in the Bank
|New Development Bank (NDB)|
|NDB President||K. V. Kamath|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
CEC Sunil Arora assumes charge as Chairman of Association of World Election Bodies
- Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora assumed Chairmanship of the Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB) for the term 2019-21.
- The decision and announcement to this effect was made at the fourth General Assembly of A-WEB underway here, being attended by as many as 120 delegates from 50 countries.
- He was handed over the AWEB Flag by the Representative of Outgoing Chair, Mr Ion MincuRadulescu from Romania.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHOR
“First They Erased Our Name: A Rohingya Speaks” to be released by Penguin Random House (India)
- A new book entitled “First They Erased Our Name: A Rohingya Speaks”penned by journalist Sophie Ansel(France) will be formally released by Penguin Random House (India) on September 9, 2019.
- The book documents the troubles of Rohingya community, through the eyes of a Rohingya, “Habiburahman”, who was born and raised in a small village in western Burma (now Myanmar), in 1979, grew up stateless with his people when their own country’s military leader ordered that Rohingya were not one among the 135 recognized ethnic groups that formed the 8 ‘national races’.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
15th Indo-US Joint Military Exercise YudhAbhyas 2019 to Be Held in Washington
- The Indo-US joint military training drill named Exercise YudhAbhyas – 2019 is scheduled to be conducted at Joint Base Lewis Mc Chord, Washington, USA from 05-18 September 2019.
- This will be the 15th edition of the joint exercise, hosted alternately between India and United States.
Iran unveils homegrown drone Kian with pinpoint accuracy
- Iranian Army unveiled a new homegrown jet-propelled drone, named KIAN, capable of carrying long-time surveillance missions and hitting the targets with high precision, Polygon reported İRNA.
- The drone was unveiled in a ceremony in the presence of Commander of Army Air Defense.
|Iran Currency||Iranian rial|
|Iran President||Hassan Rouhani|
ASEAN-US Maritime Exercise Begins in Thailand
- The U.S. Navy and maritime forces from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) will begin the first ASEAN-U.S. Maritime Exercise (AUMX) with opening ceremonies at Sattahip Naval Base, Thailand and ending in Singapore.
- AUMX includes eight warships and four aircraft from seven countries, and more than a thousand personnel representing all ten ASEAN member states and the United States.
- AUMX was first proposed at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Defense Ministers’ Meeting Plus (ADMM-Plus) in 2017 and confirmed during the 12th ADMM in October 2018.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Asia’s only 5th Generation – VR based simulator centre launched at Chennai
- Asia’s first 5th Generation – Virtual Reality based Advanced Driver Training Simulator Centre was launched at the Automobile Association of Southern India Centre (AASI), Chennai
- In the first 6 months, AASI will train 200 Ambulance drivers free of cost, under ‘Safe Drivers Campaign’
- The patented simulator was ideated, designed and developed by Chennai based Red Chariots Technologies Pvt Ltd and it took close to three years for a team of 12 engineers to develop the hardware and software, emulating the Indian driving standards and road conditions.
- Existing drivers can make use of this simulator to learn the advanced techniques of driving and implement it in their day to day driving style at a very nominal cost of Rs 100 for an 8-minute session
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
ISSF World Cup: Manu Bhaker-SaurabhChaudhary win gold as India finish on top in Rio
- India finished at the top of the ISSF World Cup Rifle/Pistol Championship in Rio De Janeiro held from August 26 to September 03, 2019.
- AbhishekVerma – 10 metre air pistol Men
- ElavenilValarivan – 10 metre air rifle Women
- Manu Bhaker and SaurabhChaudhary staged a remarkable comeback to claim the mixed 10m air pistol gold, ending India’s campaign on a rousing note in the World Cup in Rio de Janeiro.
- Representing the other Indian team in the same event, YashaswiniDeswal and AbhishekVerma won the silver as India picked up the maximum possible medals on the final day of the tournament.
- World number one in women’s 10m air rifle, ApurviChandela, had earlier partnered Deepak Kumar to win India their fourth gold on the concluding day of the event. The pair won the top medal in the mixed air rifle event.
- AnjumMoudgil and Divyansh Singh Panwar, representing India 2, who won the previous two World Cup editions of the same event, won bronze.
- India finished the tournament at the top of the medals tally with five gold, two silver and two bronze.
|International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF)|
|ISSF Headquarters||Munich, Germany|
|ISSF President||Vladimir Lisin|
VirdhawalKhade and Rujuta — The country’s fastest couple!
- At the 73rd Glenmark National senior aquatics championships 2019, held at PrakashTaranPushkarBhavan, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, Indian swimmer Rujuta became the fastest female swimmer of India winning the title in 50m freestyle whereas her husband VirdhawalKhade broke his own national record winning gold in the men’s 50m breaststroke event.
- The couple earned the title of becoming India’s fastest couple in swimming. Gold in the women’s 50m breaststroke was won by DivyaSatija, who also broke her own national record.
Steve Smith dethrones ViratKohli to become top batsmanin ICC Test rankings
- Steve Smith dethroned India captain ViratKohli to reclaim the No.1 spot in ICC Test rankings
- ViratKohli has now slipped to No.2 in the ICC rankings for Test batsmen with 903 points.
- Australia’s Pat Cummins continues to lead the bowlersrankings with 908 rating points.
- Jason Holder of the West Indies retained his top spot among the all-rounders with 472 rating points, followed by Ben Stokes (411) and Shakib Al Hasan (399).