Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
International Literacy Day
- International Literacy Day, celebrated annually on 8 September, is an opportunity for Governments, civil society and stakeholders to highlight improvements in world literacy rates, and reflect on the world’s remaining literacy challenges.
- The issue of literacy is a key component of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals and the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
|Theme 2019||Literacy and Multilingualism|
World Physical Therapy Day
- World Physical Therapy Day is observed on 8 September every year to provide an opportunity for physical therapists from all over the world to raise awareness about the important contribution of the profession and in improving the well being and health of the people.
World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD)
- World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD) is observed on 10 September every year to raise awareness to prevent the cases of suicide. This day is organised by the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP). And this day is co-sponsored by WHO.
- The theme of WSPD is Working Together to Prevent Suicide.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Govt constitutes task force to identify infrastructure projects worth Rs 100 lakh crore
- The Modi government has set up a task force to draw up plans for building infrastructure worth Rs 100 lakh crore ($1.4 trillion) over the next five years.
- To achieve the GDP of $5 trillion by 2024-25, India needs to spend about $1.4 trillion (Rs 100 lakh crore) over these years on infrastructure.
- The task force will be headed by Department of Economic Affairs (DEA) Secretary, AtanuChakraborty.
- The task force will submit its report on the pipeline for FY 2019-20 by October 31, 2019, and on the indicative pipeline for FY 2021-25 by December 31, 2019
Free LPG Ujjwala scheme achieves 8 crore target before schedule
- The government will achieve the target of giving 8 crore free cooking gas (LPG) connections to the poor nearly seven months ahead of schedule with Prime Minister NarendraModi set to handover the 8-croreth connection.
- PradhanMantriUjjwalaYojana (PMUY) was launched on May 1, 2016, with a target to give 5 crore connections to women members of poor households by March 2019. The target was later raised to 8 crore connections by March 2020.
- The scheme, together with the government’s push to replace polluting firewood in kitchens, has led to LPG coverage rising to about 95 per cent of the population from 55 per cent in May 2014.
- The Scheme aims to provide clean cooking fuel to poor households and replace the unhealthy conventional cooking fuels such as firewood, cowdung, etc. The use of LPG has its benefits on the health of women and children, environment and economic productivity of women.
- Top states in the implementation of UjjwalaYojana are: (1) Uttar Pradesh (1.46 crore), (2) West Bengal (88 lakh), (3) Bihar (85 lakh), (4) Madhya Pradesh (71 lakh) and (5) Rajasthan (63 lakh).
Project ‘BalBasera’ at AIIMS Rishikesh to be inaugurated
- A creche or ‘BalBasera’ built with the support of CPWD at AIIMS Rishikesh will be inaugurated on September 9.
- BalBasera, a project for the welfare of Children of Construction Workers deployed at the site will be inaugurated by Deepa Singh, President CPWD Officers’ Wives Association (OWA).
- It will accommodate about 35 children and shall be run by the CPWD OWA. The AIIMS Rishikesh Project is being executed by CPWD.
- It is providing monetary help to the families of CPWD employees in distress, donating funds for organisations engaged in the humanitarian causes, managing a large number of BalBaseras and organising health camps at construction sites, running a Vocational Training Centre, a Day Care Centre and a Pre nursery School in New Delhi.
RBI to launch mobile app for visually impaired to identify banknotes
- RBI to launch mobile app for visually impaired; it’ll help them identify banknotes
- Reserve Bank of India has selected Daffodil Software Pvt Ltd to develop a mobile phone based application for them
- Internet connection would not be required for its proposed mobile application
- The app will also generate “audio notification” intimating the currency note denomination to the user if image is captured correctly
- The proposed mobile app would be able to identify the denomination of notes of Mahatma Gandhi Series and Mahatma Gandhi (New) series by capturing the image of the notes placed in front of mobile camera
|RBI Governor||Shaktikant Das|
|RBI Deputy Governor||BP Kanungo, N S Vishwanathan, and Mahesh Kumar Jain|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
India’s first ‘water-grid’ in Maharashtra
- The country’s first-ever ‘water-grid’ costing Rs 3,50,000 crore will come in the parched Marathwada region of Maharashtra in the next five years as part of the JalJeevan Mission (JMM).
- The Marathwada region will benefit in a big way from this as it will increase water availability for the people. It will free women from the hassles of having to toil hard to fetch water.
- Prime Minister NarendraModi also inaugurated the country’s first greenfield industrial smart city, Auric City [Aurangabad Industrial City] at Shendra in Aurangabad. It is India’s first ‘Walk-to-Work’ Smart City. It is projected to attract around Rs 70,000 crore in investments on completion.
|Maharashtra Governor||Bhagat Singh Koshyari|
Visakhapatnam railway station sets up ‘fun zone’ for kids
- In a first of its kind in the Indian Railways, a paid gaming zone has been provided at Visakhapatnam railway station in Andhra Pradesh
- The facility was set up at the platform number 1 for public.
- It is an innovative initiative by the Waltair division of East Coast Railway (ECoR) under non-fare revenue for entertaining waiting passengers/kids
|Andhra Pradesh Capital||Amaravathi|
|Andhra Pradesh CM||Jagan Mohan Reddy|
|Andhra Pradesh Governor||BiswabhusanHarichandan|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
PiyushGoyal to attend crucial RCEP meet in Bangkok
- Commerce and Industry Minister PiyushGoyal will head to Bangkok to meet trade ministers from countries negotiating the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP).
- The RCEP is India’s most ambitious trade pact, currently under negotiation. Based on India’s existing free-trade agreement (FTA) with the 10-nation Asean bloc, the RCEP will include all the nations with which Asean has trade deals — New Zealand, Australia, China, India, Japan and South Korea.
- The meet, between September 8 and 10, is expected to see a push from Asean that has been adamant on deciding the key outline of the pact by 2019- end.
|Thailand Currency||Thai baht|
|Thailand Prime Minister||Prayut Chan-o-cha|
Union Minister DharmendraPradhan arrives in Dubai to participate in 8th Asian Ministerial Energy Round-table
- Union Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas and Steel DharmendraPradhanarrived Dubai for a three- day visit to the UAE. During the visit, the Minister is scheduled to participate in the Eighth Asian Ministerial Energy Round-table (AMER) at Abu Dhabi on 10th September.
- The 9th edition of Asian Ministerial Energy Roundtable will take place in India in 2021.
S Jaishankar to Visit Maldives for Indian Ocean Conference
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar will visit Maldives from September 3-4 to attend the fourth Indian Ocean Conference 2019.
- The Union minister, who is listed as one of the speakers at the event, will be in the company of Maldives’ President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, Prime Minister of Sri Lanka RanilWickremesinghe and the Foreign Ministers of Singapore, Maldives, Mauritius, Nepal and Bhutan.
- The theme of the fourth Indian Ocean Conference — IOC 2019 — is “Securing the Indian Ocean Region: Traditional and Non-Traditional Challenges”. The first edition of the conference was hosted in Singapore in 2016 followed by two successive editions in Sri Lanka and Vietnam.
|Maldives President||Ibrahim Mohamed Solih|
India to host 6th India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue
- India will host the 6th India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue in New Delhi.
- The dialogue will focus on collaboration between two countries on areas of infrastructure, energy, high-tech, resource conservation, pharmaceuticals an policy coordination.
- The three-day dialogue will be chaired by NITI Aayog vice chairman Rajiv Kumar and Chinese side will led by chairman, National Development and Reforms Commission (NDRC).
|China Currency||Renminbi, Yuan|
|China President||Xi Jinping|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
LataMangeshkar to be honoured with Daughter of the Nation title on 90th birthday
- The NarendraModi government has plans to honour legendary playback singer LataMangeshkar with the “Daughter of the Nation” title when she turns 90 on September 28.
- Mangeshkar will be conferred the title as a tribute to her contribution to Indian film music over seven decades.She represents the collective voice of the Indian nation.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Vijay Kumar Chopra elected as new PTI chairman, Vineet Jain as vice chairman
- Punjab Kesari Group of newspapers’ chief editor Vijay Kumar Chopra on Friday was unanimously elected Chairman of Press Trust of India (PTI)
- Managing director of Bennett, Coleman and Company Limited (BCCL) Vineet Jain was elected as PTI’s vice-chairman.
- The elections took place at a meeting of PTI’s Board of Directors following the news agency’s 71st annual general meeting
- Chopra succeeds former editor-in-chief of The Hindu N Ravi as PTI’s chairman.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHOR
Savarkar -Echoes From A Forgotten Past, 1883-1924
- Author VikramSampath has written a book named “Savarkar: Echoes from a Forgotten Past, 1883–1924”.
- The book is based on the life of freedom-fighter and Hindutva philosophy formulator VinayakDamodarSavarkar. Sampath has been lauded by PM Modi for his book.
Phoolproof: Indian flowers, their myths, traditions and usage
- A new book titled ‘Phoolproof: Indian flowers, their myths, traditions and usage’ has been penned by Jhelum Biswas Bose to acknowledge the importance of flowers in our lives.
- The book has been published by Penguin India and will hit stands on September 8.
- It contains the foreword written by actor Lisa Ray.
- Through the book, the authors has tried to teach us how to gainfully use flowers in living spaces, foods, and beauty and healing treatments.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Indo-Lanka maritime fleet exercise – SLINEX 2019
- Sri Lankan Navy is sending two ships to India to participate in the SLINEX 2019, the joint maritime naval exercise with the Indian Navy.
- The offshore patrol vessels, SLNS Sindurala and Suranimala left Trincomalee and are scheduled to arrive at the port of Visakhapatnam.
- The week-long exercise will be attended by 323 Sri Lankan navy personnel including the commanding flag officer of the naval fleet. The exercise features wide-ranging naval exercises including helicopter operations.
- The exercise signifies the desire of both countries to enhance co-operation and to further strengthen mutual trust and interoperability between the two navies.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Charles Leclerc wins Italian Grand Prix
- Monacan based Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) has won the Formula 1, Italian Grand Prix 2019. This is his second F1 win this season and came within a week of the first win.
- Earlier this week, Leclerc won the Belgian Grand Prix also.
- ValtteriBottas finished second, Lewis Hamilton third, Daniel Ricciardo fourth and NicoHülkenberg fifth.
Bianca Andreescu clinched US Open Women’s singles title
- Canadian teenager Bianca Andreescu defeated Serena Williams 6-3, 7-5 to grab the US Open 2019 women’s singles title.
- The 19-year-old Andreescu becomes the first Canadian singles player to win a Grand Slam event.
- Andreescu also jumps into the top 10 in the WTA rankings
- Serena Williams has lost each of her last four Grand Slam finals, all with a chance to tie Margaret Court’s record of 24 Grand Slam singles titles
Rafael Nadal beats Daniil Medvedev to win US Open men’s final
- Rafael Nadal beats Russia’s Daniil Medvedev 7-5, 6-3, 5-7, 4-6, 6-4 in the US Open final to capture his 19th Grand Slam title. It was also his fourth US Open title.
- World number two Nadal took the top prize of $3.85 million at Arthur Ashe Stadium and added to his US Open trophy haul from 2010, 2013 and 2017
India Red beat India Green to clinch Duleep Trophy title
- India Red beat India Green by an innings and 38 runs to clinch the Duleep Trophy title at Bengaluru
- India Red had scored 388 in their first innings. On the other hand, India Green compiled 231 runs in their first innings and 119 in their second innings.
- AbhimanyuEaswaran, who made a brilliant 153 for India Red, was named player of the match
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Veteran lawyer and former Union minister Ram Jethmalani passes away
- Noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani, one of India’s finest criminal lawyers, passed away at the age of 95 after suffering from prolonged illness.
- Jethmalani He was the highest paid lawyer in the Supreme Court of India. He became the Chairman of the Bar Council of India in 2010.
- He had served as Law Minister of India and Minister of Urban Development during the prime ministership of AtalBihari Vajpayee.
Legendary Pakistan leg spinner Abdul Qadir dies aged 63
- The legendary Pakistan leg spinner Abdul Qadir has died after a cardiac arrest.
- Qadir played 67 Tests from 1977 to 1990, taking 236 wickets including nine for 56 against England at Lahore in 1987. He also featured in 104 one-day internationals, claiming 132 victims.
- He was a key member of Pakistan’s team during the 1980s and became a mentor to the next generation of leg spinners such as Shane Warne and Mushtaq Ahmed.
/ 5. Reviews