Important Daily Current Affairs Updates – 22nd August 2017:
Dear Readers, Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
Myanmar’s Air Force commander-in-chief calls on Arun Jaitley
- Commander-in-Chief of Myanmar Air Force Gen. Khin Aung Myint today called on Defence Minister Arun Jaitley and deliberated on ways to deepen security ties between the two countries.
- Myint also held extensive talks with Chief of Air Staff BS Dhanoa on possible areas of cooperation between the air forces of India and Myanmar.
- Myint and Air Chief Marshal Dhanoa are also understood to have discussed the regional security scenario. Myanmar is one of India’s strategic neighbours and shares a 1,640-km-long border with a number of northeastern states, including militancy-hit Nagaland and Manipur.
Currency: Burmese kyat
President: Htin Kyaw
Union Government launches Digital Police under CCTNS project
- Rajnath Singh, the Union Home Minister, on 21 August 2017 launched the Digital Police Portal under the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network & Systems (CCTNS).
- While launching the system, Singh announced that the Union Ministry of Home Affairs will undertake steps to integrate the various organs of the Criminal Justice System such as the Police, Courts, Prisons, Prosecution, Forensic Laboratories, Finger Prints and Juvenile Homes with the CCTNS database.
- The minister went on to state that the Interoperable Criminal Justice System (ICJS) will be a useful resource for all stakeholders including the policy makers.
ICMR, Health Ministry ink MoU with IVI for vaccine R&D
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and Ministry of Health inked Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the International Vaccine Institute (IVI) to collaborate on vaccine research and development.
- The signing of the MoU is a continuation of India’s partnership with IVI to provide safe, effective and affordable vaccines for people around the world. With this partnership, India is committing an annual contribution of US $5,00,000 to IVI.
Angola gears up for historic vote as President Jose prepares to step down after 38 years
- Angola is gearing up for a historic vote tomorrow, as longtime President Jose Eduardo dos Santos prepares to step down after 38 years in power.
- For more than two-thirds of the population, he is the only leader they have ever known. And the vast majority of eligible voters have never seen a ballot without his name on it.
US will deepen its strategic partnership with India: Trump
President Donald Trump, in a prime-time televised address to the nation, laid out his South Asia policy saying a “critical part” of it was to further develop US’ strategic partnership with India. He ruled out a hasty withdrawal of its troops from Afghanistan and sought an enhanced role for India to bring peace in the war-torn country.
Country: United States of America
Currency: US Dollar
President: Donald Trump
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY NEWS:
Google launches Android 8.0 named ‘Oreo’
Google today announced ‘Oreo’ as the name for the latest version of the Android operating system, continuing the dessert-themed names. It brings features including notification dots on app icons, picture-in-picture mode, and an autofill tool to help quickly and securely enter passwords. Android Oreo 8.0 will start rolling out to Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones followed by Nexus devices.
Headquarters: Mountain View, California,
CEO: Sundar Pichai
Essar Oil completes $13 billion deal with Rosneft, Trafigura
Russia’s largest oil producer Rosneft on Monday said it has successfully closed the nearly $13 billion Essar Oil acquisition deal. Rosneft will get a 49.13% stake in Essar Oil and Trafigura-UCP consortium will get another 49.13% stake. The Essar Oil-Rosneft deal is the largest foreign direct investment into the country till date and also the largest outbound investment from Russia.
Organization: Essar Oil
CEO: Lalit Kumar Gupta
Infosys drops out of India’s top 10 most valued companies
Three days after Vishal Sikka’s resignation as Infosys CEO and MD, the company has slipped out of the list of top 10 companies by market capitalisation on BSE. Notably, in just two days of trading, Infosys has lost about ₹30,722 crore. State-owned oil producer ONGC has replaced Infosys to become the 10th most valuable company.
FIFA U-17 World Cup trophy displayed at India Gate
The FIFA Under-17 World Cup official winner’s trophy was recently displayed at the India Gate. The event will be India’s first official FIFA tournament. The trophy will be held for display at all six host cities of the World Cup, namely Kolkata, Kochi, Mumbai, New Delhi, Guwahati, and Goa. The tournament’s winner will lift the trophy on October 28.
FDI jumps 37% to 10.4 billion USD during April-June 2017
- Foreign direct investment, FDI, into the country grew by 37 per cent to 10(point)4 billion US Dollar during the first quarter of the current fiscal. According to the figures of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, DIPP, India had received around eight billion FDI US Dollar during the same period last year.
- The main sectors which attracted the highest foreign inflows include services, telecom, trading, computer hardware and software and automobile.
- Bulk of the FDI came in from Singapore, Mauritius, the Netherlands and Japan.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
NASA plans to extract oxygen from atmosphere on Mars
NASA is planning to send microbial life on its Mars 2020 rover mission, which would use Mars’ atmospheric carbon dioxide to produce oxygen. The mission, if successful, would make way for more affordable human missions to Mars where oxygen is needed for life support and rocket propulsion, said NASA. Notably, Mars’ atmosphere contains around 95.32% CO2 and only 0.13% oxygen.
Uber India appoints Vishpala Reddy as Chief People’s Officer
Uber India has appointed former American Express executive Vishpala Reddy as the Chief People’s Officer (CPO) for its India and South Asia operations. The company said Reddy will be responsible for strengthening leadership, and overseeing aspects of gender diversity and inclusion. Last month, Uber appointed Sanjay Gupta, former CMO of Urban Ladder, as Head of Marketing in India.
Shapath Bharadwaj wins bronze at Junior Shotgun World Cup
- Teenager Shapath Bharadwaj today won a bronze medal in the double trap event while Lakshay Sheoran and Manisha Keer combined to win a bronze in the mixed team trap competition at the ISSF Junior Shotgun World Cup in Porpetto, Italy.
- This was India’s first medal in the competition apart from the bronze won by Sheoran and Keer in the mixed team trap competition yesterday, which had the status of a test event.