IBPS Probationary Officer(PO) job profile: Institute of Banking Personnel selection conducts an exam every year to select eligible candidates for the role of probationary officer in public sector banks of India. IBPS PO 2020 Exam is conducted via online mode at various locations throughout the country.
IBPS has released the official notification on 4th August 2020 for the recruitment of 1417 vacancies of probationary officers. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the preliminary test for IBPS PO 2020 will be conducted in two stages. The first stage of the preliminary test was conducted on 3rd, 10th & 11th October 2020. For the second phase, the IBPS PO Prelims exam will be held on 5th and 6th January 2021 and the mains exam will be conducted on 4th February 2021.
Check below to have a deeper understanding of IBPS PO Job profile, duties, and responsibilities, promotion, probationary period, etc.
Below is the list of banks who have participated in this year’s IBPS PO recruitment process.
- Indian Bank
- Indian Overseas bank
- UCO Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Punjab & Sind Bank
- Bank of India
- Union Bank of India
- Punjab National Bank
- Bank of Maharashtra
- Central Bank of India
- Canara Bank
IBPS PO Joining Process: Initial Posting
- Candidates selected as probationary officers undergo an Induction Training program in Management Trainings Academies of the Bank.
- The training period is around 10-20 days depending on the bank.
- After the successful completion of induction training, a probationary officer can be posted anywhere in India.
- They are posted as Assistant Managers in different branches in the probationary period.
- As per the placement policy of particular banks, they are posted in specialized branches like treasury branches, microstate branches, etc.
Bank PO Probation Period (Duration)
- The probation period is for two years.
- The officer can learn the various aspects of the banking sector and its work during the probationary period.
- In certain banks, the probationary period is for only one year.
- In some banks, the probationary period is divided into phases. For Example, 1st phase is for 6 months, 2nd phase is for 6 months and the 3rd phase is for 1 year.
- During the probation period, the officers may undergo transfers and deputations.
- After the probation period, the officer gets his permanent posting as assistant manager.
IBPS PO Job Roles & Responsibilities
Check below the day-to-day responsibilities of an IBPS PO Officer:
- A Probationary Officer is responsible for various activities of the bank.
- They get to learn various work procedures of the bank.
- Probationary officers are trained in various streams such as marketing, finance, accounting, etc.
- Probationary officers always handle the customer and guide them in banking product usage and issuing cheques, demand drafts, etc.
- The probationary officer also handles any incompatibility in accounts and the rectification of undue charges.
Clerical Work- Supervision:
- A probationary officer supervises the clerk in managing cash, dealing with customers, and account opening.
- He/she also checks whether the clerk entered the details correctly during the transaction
Processing of Loan:
- The major responsibility of a probationary officer is providing loans to the customer.
- He/she does all the supervision and documentation work before providing a loan to the customer,
Above mentioned are the main job responsibilities of an IBPS PO Officer. Let us know in the comment if you need further help.
Also check: IBPS PO Eligibility Criteria 2020
Best of luck!