Dear Readers, Bank Exam Race for the Year 2018 is already started, To enrich your preparation here we have providing new series of Practice Questions on English language – Section. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS PO Prelims 2018 Exams can practice these questions daily and make your preparation effective.[WpProQuiz 3953]
Directions (1-5): Each sentence below has one or two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Below the sentence are five sets of words. Choose the set of words for each blank that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
1) More troubling is the fire-fighting measures announced so far to _____ the rupee; these hint that policymakers are ______ on Band-Aids instead of addressing the structural fault lines.
a) Provoke, confiding
b) Agitate, entrusting
c) Pacify, relying
d) Assuage, distrusting
e) Incite, reckoning
2) RBI should replace the Centre’s fiscal deficit with the _______ fiscal deficit in the table of baseline _______ in the biannual monetary policy report.
a) Consolidated, assumptions
b) Sundered, hypotheses
c) Deranged, premises
d) Fortified, inference
e) Reinforced, postulate
3) A similar regulatory ______ in other countries from where we source coal, such as Indonesia and Australia, meant that few private power producers could escape ______.
a) Ferment, intact
b) Churn, unscathed
c) Seethe, indiscrete
d) Convulse, impervious
e) Simmer, tended
4) We must not allow the current _______ to define the investment climate, and it is time for the policy makers to _______ a vision for the power sector post-insolvency.
- a) Boon, enunciate
- b) Indigence, bumble
- c) Distress, articulate
- d) Euphoria, utter
- e) Contentment, hinge
5) Albania ________ the ________ to focus on general Doing Business indicators, which assume that randomly following international best practices might do some good.
- a) Abjured, snares
- b) Eluded, decoys
- c) Refrained, repulsion
- d) Eschewed, temptation
- e) Renounced, enticements
Directions (6-10): Choose one of the words from the given options which makes sentence incorrect such that it changes the whole meaning of the sentence
6) The switch to electricity is a part of a broader a) policy agenda b) seen, for example, in the recent decision to electrify c) the entire d) railway broad-gauge network.
e) None of these
7) Albania’s capital has won European awards for its development a) of high-quality urban spaces and for solving mobility b) and environmental problems c) in innovative d) ways.
e) None of these
8) Considering that the present fleet a) of Indian EVs is incapable b) of traversing distances without running out of charge, a wide network of charging stations is imminent c) for attracting d) investment.
- e) None of these
9) Higher tariffs threaten a) to contribute b) to global inflationary pressures, partially reversing c) the disinflationary forces that had been unleashed d) by China’s emergence as the world’s factory
e) None of these
10) The combined a) effects of the bad loans crisis, the rise in global lending rates, and the ongoing b) sell-off have dealt c) a body blow to the financing and risk-taking ability d) of Indian companies.
e) None of these
1) Answer: c)
The meaning of “pacify” is “to soothe or calm down” and it is suitable for i blanks and the meaning of “relying” is “be dependent on” so it is appropriate for ii blank
2) Answer: a)
The meaning of “consolidated” is “combine into a single to make more effective” and it is suitable for i blanks and the meaning of “assumptions” is “a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen” so it is appropriate for ii blank
3) Answer: b)
The meaning of “churn” is “move or cause to move about vigorously” and it is suitable for i blanks and the meaning of “unscathed” is “without suffering any injury, damage” so it is appropriate for ii blank
4) Answer: c)
The meaning of “distress” is “extreme anxiety, sorrow, or pain” and it is suitable for i blanks and the meaning of “articulate” is “to pronounce something clearly” so it is appropriate for ii blank
5) Answer: d)
The meaning of “eschewed” is “to give up abandon” and it is suitable for i blanks and the meaning of “temptation” is “the desire to do something” so it is appropriate for ii blank
6) Answer: a)
C- afflict which means to oppress
7) Answer: d)
D- customary which means usual or normal
8) Answer: c)
C- avertible which means avoidable
9) Answer: d)
A- flatter which means to make someone pleased/glad
10) Answer: c)
B- intermittent which means irregular
Daily Practice Test Schedule | Good Luck
|Topic||Daily Publishing Time|
|Daily News Papers & Editorials||8.00 AM|
|Current Affairs Quiz||9.00 AM|
|Current Affairs Quiz (Hindi)||9.30 AM|
|IBPS PO Prelims – Reasoning||10.00 AM|
|IBPS PO Prelims – Quantitative Aptitude||11.00 PM|
|Vocabulary (Based on The Hindu)||12.00 PM|
|IBPS PO Prelims – English Language||1.00 PM|
|IBPS PO/Clerk – GK||3.00 PM|
|Daily Current Affairs Updates||5.00 PM|
|IBPS Clerk Prelims – Reasoning||6.00 PM|
|IBPS Clerk Prelims – Reasoning (Hindi)||6.30 PM|
|IBPS Clerk Prelims – Quantitative Aptitude||7.00 PM|
|IBPS Clerk Prelims – Quantitative Aptitude (Hindi)||7.30 PM|
|IBPS Clerk Prelims – English Language||8.00 PM|