Dear Readers, Here we have given the list of Important Weekly Current Affairs of 22nd to 31st August 2021. Candidates those who are preparing for Upcoming SBI Clerk 2021 and other competitive exams can make use of it.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
- World Sanskrit Day or Sanskrit Diwas is also known as Viswa Samskrita Dinam Observed on Aug 22
- The International Day Commemorating the Victims of Acts of Violence Based on Religion or Belief, observed on August 22
- August 23 is marked as the International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition.
- Union minister for information and broadcasting Anurag Thakur will kick off a series of activities to celebrate the ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’ starting from August 23 to Aug 29.
- World Water Week 2021 will take place 23-27 August under the theme “Building Resilience Faster”.
- Women’s Equality Day is celebrated in the United States on August 26 to commemorate the 1920 adoption of the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution
- Every year on 26 August, International Dog Day is celebrated across the world & to encourage people to adopt dogs, instead of buying them from pet stores or shops.
- National Sports Day Observed on Aug 29, every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of legendary hockey player Major Dhyan Chand.
- The International Day against Nuclear Tests is observed on August 29.
- The National Small Industry Day is celebrated on 30 August every year, to support and promote small Industries for their overall growth potential and opportunities received for their development in the year.
- The International Day of the Disappeared, on August 30 of each year, is a day created to draw attention to the fate of individuals imprisoned at places and under poor conditions unknown to their relatives and/or legal representatives.
- The International Day for People of African Descent will be celebrated for the first time on 31 August 2021.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL NEWS
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh flagged off from his residence here a fleet of five trauma care ambulances donated to the Army by a non-profit group for deployment in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will launch the National Monetization Pipeline (NMP) in New Delhi.
- The Ministry of Panchayati Raj is organizing a National Webinar, ‘Localization of Sustainable Development Goals and Role of Panchayats – Goal No. 2 – Zero Hunger’ on 23.08.2021.
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched an ambitious ‘Ubharte Sitaare Fund’ -USF for export-oriented firms and startups in a program at Lucknow.
- Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, the 75th year of Independence of India, MyGov under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India and UN Women have come together to jointly launch the Amrit Mahotsav Shri Shakti Innovation Challenge 2021 to encourage technology solutions developed by Women Entrepreneurs that facilitate Women’s Safety and Empowerment.
- NITI Aayog and World Resources Institute (WRI), India, jointly launched the ‘Forum for Decarburizing Transport’ in India as part of the NDC-Transport Initiative for Asia (NDC-TIA) project on 23August.
- India’s Evacuation Mission named as ‘Operation Devi Shakti’ to carrying out people from Afghanistan
- Union Education and Skill Development Minister, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan and Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Shri Virendra Kumar jointly launched the booklet on One-year New Education Policy (NEP) – 2020 Achievement
- The Jal Shakti Ministry started a 100-day campaign — Sujalam — as part of the ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’ (August 25) to create more ODF plus villages by undertaking wastewater management at the village level.
- The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology has launched the “Start-up Accelerators of MeitY for product Innovation, Development and growth (SAMRIDH)” programme.
- In March 2021, the Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) published the UAS Rules, 2021.
- The Central Government has approved to increase the family pension of bank employees to 30 per cent of last salary drawn.
- The Niti Aayog and the US-based tech giant Cisco launched the next phase of the Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP).
- Ministry of Education’s innovation cell, All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D) has jointly launched the MANTHAN 2021 hackathon, a unique national initiative to identify innovative concepts and technology solutions for addressing the security challenges of the 21st century faced by the intelligence agencies.
- Scheme for Capacity Building in Textile Sector (SAMARTH) was approved towards addressing the skill gap in textile sector and also to supplement the efforts of textile industry in providing gainful and sustainable employment to the youth.
- India has been elected to the Council of Administration (CA) at 27th Universal Postal Union (UPU) Congress in Abidjan.
- The Ministry of Textiles along with NIFT, Delhi and DesignSmith, launched the India Size project at Select City Mall, Saket.
- The Election Commission’s two-day Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation SVEEP Consultation Workshop ended.
- President of India Ram Nath Kovind stated that the values of Indian tradition and culture are contained in holy Ramayana and the human values implied in Ramayana will always be relevant for the world.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh visited the Army Sports Institute (ASI), Pune and renamed the Army Sports Institute stadium as “Neeraj Chopra Stadium” to honour Neeraj Chopra for winning the gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics.
- The government extended by a month the deadline for making payments under the direct tax dispute resolution scheme Vivad Se Vishwas till September 30.
- Govt launches “Bharat series (BH-series)” registration mark to facilitate seamless transfer of vehicles
- The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has officially recognised the News Broadcasters Federation”s (NBF) self-regulatory body.
- The Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) completed seven years and the Union Ministry of Finance stated that over 430 million accounts have been opened under the scheme as on August 18, 2021.
- Union minister of information and broadcasting, and youth affairs and sports, Anurag Thakur along with Union minister of tourism G Kishan Reddy inaugurated the e-Photo exhibition namely ‘Making of the Constitution” and Virtual Film Poster Exhibition ‘[email protected]’.
- As the Jallianwala Bagh massacre marked 102 years, Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated a renovated complex of Jallianwala Bagh Smarak to the nation through video conferencing.
- Making the National Pension System (NPS) more attractive for subscribers joining it after 65 years of age, the PFRDA has permitted them to allocate up to 50 per cent of the funds in equity, besides easing the exit norms.
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu will launch digital quiz contest called Amrit Mahotsav With Khadi in New Delhi.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL NEWS
- Former Deputy Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob was appointed as the new Prime Minister of Malaysia.
- World Bank launches New Cyber security Multi-Donor Trust Fund under the broader Digital Development Partnership (DDP).
- President of the UN Security Council & External affairs minister (EAM) of India, Jaishankar, slammed China for its terror stand.
- Swedish green steel venture HYBRIT, that it had made the ‘world’s first’ customer delivery of steel produced without using coal.
- The world’s largest and tallest observation wheel will open in the UAE on October 21;
- The Bangladesh Telecom Regulatory Commission (BTRC) has ordered the Department of Telecommunication (DoT) to ban internet games like PubG and Freefire.
- Dubai Courts announced the establishment of a specialised court, focused on combating money laundering, within the Court of First Instance and Court of Appeal.
- Pakistan received $2.75 billion from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) under a Special Drawing Rights (SDR) programme to support low-income countries hit by the corona virus.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE NEWS
- India’s highest altitude herbal park, located at the height of 11,000 feet near the Indo-China border in Uttarakhand’s Chamoli district, was launched.
- Assam will start rolling out benefits under the One Nation One Ration Card (ONORC) scheme.
- The Assam government has also announced COVID relief package where drivers and helpers of privately operated buses will get one-time relief of Rs 10,000.
- NTPC Limited has started operations at India’s largest floating solar PV project at its Simhadri thermal station in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- The Chief Minister of Haryana Shri Manohar Lal Khattar has announced to rename the Hisar Airport as Maharaja Agrasen International Airport.
- The Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation -GHMC has taken up a novel initiative to get rid of diseases like Malaria and Dengue, implementing ‘Every Sunday at 10 AM for 10 mnts” campaign.
- Maharashtra CM Uddhav Thackeray inaugurates Covid Care Centre for children at IT Park in Mumbai University’s Kalina campus
- In Madhya Pradesh, the State Government has launched a comprehensive Talent Search Campaign in the field of sports.
- Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh launched COVID-19 Affected Livelihood Support Scheme to provide assistance to those who had been severely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic in the State.
- Tiwa also known as Lalung is indigenous community inhabiting the states of Assam and Meghalaya and is also found in some parts of Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur.
- Ohmium International, a US-based renewableenergy start-up, has launched India’s first green hydrogen electrolyzer gigafactory at Bengaluru through its India subsidiary.
- Karnataka has become the first state in the country to officially implement the National Education Policy.
- Tourism Minister G Kishan Reddy inaugurated a mega-tourism event “Ladakh: New Start, New Goals” in Leh virtually from Delhi.
- President Ram Nath Kovind, who is currently in Uttar Pradesh as part of his four-day visit to the state, will travel to Gorakhpur, the third day of his tour.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the Army Sports Institute’s stadium in Pune named after Olympic gold medal winner Neeraj Chopra.
- A newly launched mobile digital movie theatre in Ladakh has made history as the highest theatre in the world.
- The Maharashtra government has launched a special mission for women from poor families who have lost their husbands to coronavirus infection which aims to provide a bunch of services under one roof.
- The first commercial batch of Covaxin was released from the new plant of Bharat Biotech at Ankleshwar in Gujarat’s Bharuch district by Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS NEWS
- India’s foreign exchange reserves decreased by USD 2.099 billion to stand at USD 619.365 billion
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) imposed a penalty of 200 crore on Maruti Suzuki India Limited (MSIL) for indulging in anti-competitive conduct.
- Infosys shares hit $100 billion m-cap, fourth Indian firm to reach milestone
- BharatPe has entered peer-to-peer (P2P) lending with its product ‘12% club’, which will allow consumers to not only earn 12 per cent interest on the funds they invest but also borrow at an interest rate of 12 per cent.
- Yahoo has shut down its news websites in India due to the new foreign direct investment rules that limit foreign ownership of digital content platforms in the country.
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) has banned Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Company from launching fixed maturity plan (FMP) schemes for six months.
- Amazon India introduced the launch of Karigar Mela in partnership with Tribes India, whereby the e-commerce platform will characteristic a devoted storefront for conventional tribal and native Indian handicrafts.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING NEWS
- Paytm and HDFC Bank announced a strategic partnership to deliver financial solutions across India.
- The Government of India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $500 million loan to expand the metro rail network in Bengaluru with construction of two new metro lines totaling 56 km in length.
- Honda Cars India Ltd (HCIL) has joined hands with Canara Bank to offer retail finance schemes to customers.
- PayPal is to allow users in the UK to buy, hold and sell crypto currencies through the payment platform for the first time.
- HDFC Bank has divested more than 2 per cent stake in Central Depository Services (India) Ltd (CDSL) in tranches during June-August this year, garnering nearly Rs 223 crore from the sale.
- Union finance and corporate affairs minister Nirmala Sitharaman reviewed the performance of 12 public sector banks in an annual review meeting held in Mumbai.
- The Reserve Bank of India has extended the scope of permitted devices for undertaking tokenised card transactions to include consumer devices such as laptops, desktops, wearables (wrist watches, bands, etc.), and Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
- The Reserve Bank extended the scheme for encouraging deployment of Point of Sale (PoS) infrastructure to street vendors covered under the PM SVANidhi programme in tier 1 and 2 centres.
- DBS Bank India Limited (DBIL), the wholly-owned subsidiary of DBS Bank of Singapore, is preparing to enter the country’s credit card market this year in a bid to grow the high-margin unsecured loan portfolio.
- Walmart-backed digital payments firm PhonePe’s subsidiary, PhonePe Account Aggregator Pvt Ltd, has got an in-principle approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to operate as an account aggregator.
- Karnataka Bank launched KBL FASTag for seamless movement of vehicles at toll plazas by facilitating automatic deduction of the toll amount.
- The Reserve Bank hiked the ceiling on remittances per transaction from India to Nepal to 2 lakh from Rs.50, 000, a move that will help facilitate retirement and pension-related payments to ex-servicemen settled in the neighbouring country.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has increased incentives for banks for the distribution of coins to the general public to Rs 65 per bag with effect from September 1.
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has introduced a new mobile application, ANANDA for its agents and intermediaries to facilitate the on boarding of prospective customers.
- RuPay has launched a strategic campaign titled #FollowPaymentDistancing to promote contactless payments, National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- Leading digital payments and financial services fintech PhonePe received an insurance broking license from Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
- IDBI Bank stated its board has okayed a proposal to divest its entire stake of over 19 per cent in ARCIL.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENT AND RESIGNATION NEWS
- The Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) re-appointed T M Bhasin as chairman of the Advisory Board for Banking and Financial Frauds (ABBFF), a panel constituted to examine bank frauds of over Rs 50 crore and recommend action.
- Senior BJP leader from Tamil Nadu La Ganesan was appointed as the new Governor of Manipur.
- Abhay Kumar Singh has been appointed as Joint Secretary within the Ministry of Cooperation, which was fashioned just lately with a goal to strengthen the cooperative motion within the nation.
- The Reserve Bank of India had appointed a committee headed by S. Vishwanathan to make suggestions on structure for the urban cooperative banks (UCBs)
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the re-appointment of Sandeep Bakhshi, MD & CEO, of ICICI Bank with effect from October 15, 2021, till October 3, 2023.
- The board of directors of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank approved the appointment of Carol Furtado as the officer on special duty (OSD).
- HSBC India stated the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the appointment of Hitendra Dave as the country head for three years, effective August 24.
- The Reserve Bank of India stated Ajay Kumar has been appointed as Executive Director (ED), who will look after the departments of currency management, foreign exchange, and premises.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has accepted the proposal of the Department of Financial Services (DFS) to extend the tenure of three managing directors and chief executive officers (MDs and CEOs) and ten executive directors (EDs) of public sector banks.
- Coal India subsidiary Central Coalfields Ltd stated its director technical Bhola Singh has been chosen because the chief of NCL. Singh, an IIT-Kharagpur alumnus, has been chosen because the chairman and managing director of Northern Coalfields Ltd.
- Arvind Kejriwal and Sonu Sood, in which Kejriwal, “Sonu Sood has agreed to become the brand ambassador of our ‘Desh Ke Mentors’ programme which will be launched soon.”
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Mansukh Mandaviya took over charge as the Chairperson of Stop TB Partnership Board.
- Neeraj Bansal, the former deputy chairman and chairman in-charge of Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT), has quit the Indian Revenue Service (IRS) to join as the chief executive officer of Dighi Port Ltd, a unit of Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ltd (APSEZ).
- Auto components industry body ACMA stated it has appointed SONA Comstar Chairman Sunjay J Kapur as its new President for a two-year term.
- Justice M.S. Ramachandra Rao, the most senior judge in the Telangana High Court, was appointed Acting Chief Justice to perform the duties of the Chief Justice.
- President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit, to discharge the functions of the Governor of Punjab, in addition to his own duties from the date he assumes charge of the office of the Governor of Punjab.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC), appointed Pramod Kumar Meherda, a 1997-batch IAS officer, Odisha cadre, as Managing Director (MD) in National Food Security Mission (NFSM) which comes underneath the Agriculture and Farmers Welfare division.
- Iran’s newly elected hard-line President Ebrahim Raisi chose Mohammad Eslami, a 64-year-old civil engineer who previously oversaw the country’s road network, to lead Iran’s civilian nuclear program and serve as one of several vice presidents.
- Nine new judges, including three women, would be administered oath of office as judges of the Supreme Court by Chief Justice of India (CJI) N V Ramana.
- The Centre informed the Supreme Court that it has constituted a committee which will be headed by Ashish Shiradhonkar, who is heading the e-courts project in National Informatics Centre, to develop a technological platform streamlining the appeal filing process related to direct and indirect taxation matters.
- Banking giant HSBC has appointed former SBI chairman Rajnish Kumar as a non-executive director for its Hong Kong-headquartered Asia unit.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : APPS & SERVICES
- The Geological Survey of India (GSI) has developed GSI Mobile App (Beta Version), To create more awareness about its activities among the public and make its presence felt digitally.
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL) has developed an AI-enabled chatbot, Urja, to provide its customers an interface for a seamless self-service experience and faster resolution of queries/issues.
- To address the grievances of the Kashmiri migrants, the government of Jammu and Kashmir, has launched an online grievance redressal portal.
- On Aug 23, 2021, The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for the Ministry of Science and Technology, Shri Jitendra Singh launched a new Geospatial Planning Portal under Bhuvan named “Yuktdhara”.
- On Aug 26, 2021, Minister for Labour and Employment, Shri Bhupender Yadav launched e-Shram Portal-National Database for Unorganised Workers.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : RANKING & INDEX
- On 17th August, 2021, Shanghai Ranking Consultancy released the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2021, Harvard bags 1st rank Globally & IISC Bangalore Top Institute in India
- One of India’s leading private life insurance companies, HDFC Life, released the latest findings of its Life Freedom Index (LFI) study.
- Copenhagen has been named the world’s safest city among 60 global cities, in Safe Cities Index 2021, released by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
- India has been ranked as the second-most sought-after manufacturing destination in Global Manufacturing Risk Index 2021.
- NITI Aayog, released the first edition of the North-Eastern Region District Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Index and Dashboard 2021–22 & East Sikkim with a score of 75.87 has topped the NER District SDG Index 2021-22 followed by Gomati, North Tripura (score 75.73) & West Tripura amongst 103 districts in the ranking.
- In the 2021 Global DeFi Adoption Index, India was ranked sixth in terms of DeFi adoption, with an index score of 59 by blockchain data platform Chainalysis.
- In Rabobank’s 2021 Global Top 20 Dairy Companies list, French-based dairy company Lactalis has topped as the world’s largest dairy company with a turnover of US $23.0 billion, Meanwhile, India’s Amul, Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) has ranked 18th in the list.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : ENVIRONMENT
- A team of marine biologists from the Central University of Punjab, Bathinda, has discovered a new species of marine green algae named Acetabularia jalakanyakae from Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- A new plant of the Brachystelma R.Br. The species has been found in Tumakuru, Karnataka and it has been named after the district.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : BOOKS & AUTHORS
- A New Book Titled Mission Domination: An Unfinished Quest authored by Boria Majumdar & Kushan Sarkar.
- The last book of author Subhadra Sen Gupta ‘Let’s Go Time Travelling Again’ was released.
- A New book titled ‘Address Book: A Publishing Memoir in the time of COVID’ by Ritu Menon.
- Indian Marathi-language writer Vishram Bedekar authored a book titled ‘Battlefield’.
- New Book Titled The Kapil Sharma Story, is authored by Ajitabha Bose.
- On Aug 26, 2021, Former Union Minister, Shri K J Alphons presented his book ‘Accelerating India: 7 Years of Modi Government’ to the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi.
- On Aug 25, 2021, A New Book Titled An Invitation to Die: A Colonel Acharya Mystery‘ authored by Tanushree Podder.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
- The winners of the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM) 2021 were announced, August 20, in a virtual award ceremony due to the novel coronavirus pandemic.
- Noted writer and poet Dr Yashodhara Mishra will be receiving Sahitya Akademi Award 2020 for her work in Odia.
- Author and noted critic Jack Foley, based in San Francisco, has been chosen for the first-ever K M Anthru International Literary Award instituted in the fond memory of the late K M Anthru who passed away last year.
- Karnataka government has selected Sri Basavaliga Pattaddevaru, senior seer of Bhalki Hiremath, for the prestigious Sri Basava International Award.
- Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman unveiled the fourth edition of the Public Sector Bank (PSB) Reforms Agenda ‘EASE 4.0’ for 2021-22 – tech-enabled, simplified, and collaborative banking.
- Indian men’s hockey team defender and drag-flicker Amit Rohidas has been awarded the prestigious Biju Patnaik Sports Award for outstanding performance in Sports & Games by the Odisha government.
- Commissioner of School Education Vadrevu Chinaveerabhadrudu and State School Games Secretary G Bhanumurthy have stated School of Sports Excellence awards will be presented to the institutions that fared well in sports in 2019-20 academic year.
- The Odisha Sangeet Natak Akademi under the Odia Language, Literature and Culture Department announced various awards for the year 2019 and 2020.
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), Ramagundam, has bagged the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) Energy Leader Award-2021.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT-M) has developed India’s first indigenous motorised wheelchair vehicle, NeoBolt, that can be used even on uneven terrains.
- The Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India in collaboration with BRICS countries is implementing SARS-CoV-2 NGS-BRICS consortium and multi centric programme to study the impact of severe COVID-19 conditions on TB patients.
- The National Institute of Animal Biotechnology (NIAB) Hyderabad and National Centre for Cell Science (NCCS), Pune, for upgradation as Central Drug Laboratories (CDLs).
- On Aug 24, 2021, Pakistan successfully test fired the indigenously developed guided multi-launch rocket system Fatah-1, capable of precisely delivering conventional warheads deep into enemy territory.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU’s AND AGREEMENTS
- The Assam government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with 38 microfinance institutions (MFI) and banks to give relief to poor women borrowers.
- Poonawalla Fincorp Limited (Formerly Magma Fincorp Limited), has signed an MoU with Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) to provide collateral-free term loans to ICSI members as well as its employees.
- In one of the major connectivity initiatives abroad, India will commence the Greater Male Connectivity Project (GMCP) — the largest-ever infrastructure project — in the Maldives.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
- On Aug 23, 2021, Indian government’s think-tank NITI Aayog, in collaboration with World Resources Institute (WRI), launched the Forum for Decarbonising Transport in India.
- On Aug 24, 2021, India’s National Security Advisor Ajit Doval hosted the 11th Meeting of the BRICS High Representatives Responsible for National Security through video conferencing.
- The Spices Board in association with the Embassy of India, Bangkok organized an International Buyer Seller Meet (IBSM) and a webinar.
- On Aug 26, 2021, The first-ever G20 ministerial conference on Women’s Empowerment, was held at Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy in a hybrid format & On behalf of India, The Union Minister of Women & Child Development, Smriti Irani addressed the meeting.
- On Aug 27, 2021, Union Minister for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Shri Narendra Singh Tomar chaired the 11th Meeting of BRICS Agriculture Ministers & Theme : “BRICS Partnership for Strengthening Agro Biodiversity for Food and Nutrition Security”.
- The Election Commission of India organized a two-day SVEEP (Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation) Consultation Workshop on August 25-26, 2021.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : DEFENCE NEWS
- Fifth edition of Indo- Kazakhstan Joint Training Exercise, KAZIND-21 will be conducted at Aisha Bibi in Kazakhstan, from August 30 to September 11.
- From August 9-14, 2021, The Indian Navy and Qatar Naval Force successfully conducted the second edition of the bilateral maritime exercise “Zair-Al-Bahr” in the Persian Gulf.
- Lockheed Martin has been awarded a 8 million US dollars, five-year contract from the Indian Air Force (IAF).
- On Aug 23, 2021, India carried out a naval exercise with the Philippines navy in the eastern parts of the South China Sea as the West Philippine Sea.
- Indian Naval Ships Shivalik and Kadmatt are participating in the annual Exercise MALABAR-21 from 26 – 29 August 2021 along with the US Navy (USN), Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF) and the Royal Australian Navy (RAN).
- The Indian Army has received the first batch of locally manufactured Multi-Mode Hand Grenades (MMHG) manufactured by Economic Explosives Limited (EEL) in the presence of Defence Minister Rajnath Singh in Nagpur.
- The India Pavilion at the International Military Technical Forum – ARMY 2021 has been organised in Moscow, Russia from August 22 to 28, 2021, at Patriot Expo, Kubinka Air Base and Alabino military training grounds.
- The militaries of China, Pakistan, Mongolia and Thailand will take part in a multinational peacekeeping exercise named “Shared Destiny-2021”.
- The third edition of the week-long annual exercise called ‘Gandiv’ launched by the National Security Guard (NSG) from August 22 to August 28.
- On Aug 28, 2021, Union defence minister Rajnath Singh commissioned the L&T built Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) ICGS Vigraha into the Indian coast guard.
- On Aug 26, 2021, Navies of India and Germany conducted a joint exercise in the Gulf of Aden.
- On Aug 27, 2021, Mahindra Defence Systems Limited (MDS) had bagged a contract worth ₹1,349.95 crore for manufacturing of Integrated Anti-Submarine Warfare Defence Suite (IADS) for modern warships of the Indian Navy.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
- Ace investor Rakesh Jhunjhunwala has picked 2,88,50,000 shares or59 percent minority stakes in Canara Bank via the qualified institutions placement (QIP).
CURRENT AFFAIRS : SPORTS NEWS
- The Karnataka government has drafted a high-level committee to select 75 promising athletes for the upcoming Paris Olympics 2024.
- 17-year-old Long jumper Shaili Singh won the silver medal at the U-20 World Athletics Championships in Nairobi with a 6.59 metre jump.
- Princepal Singh is the first Indian to be part of an NBA title-winning team.
- India’s Amit Khatri has won the silver medal in the men’s 10,000 m race walk at the World Athletics U20 Championships in
- On Aug 24, 2021, Indian shot-putter Tek Chand was the flag-bearer for the Indian contingents at the opening ceremony of Paralympics in Tokyo.
- On Aug 21,2021, All-India Chess Federation (AICF) and Chess Association of India announced they have joined hands to administer the sport in India.
- The 17-year old Indian Grandmaster Arjun Erigaisi II Terras de Trás-os-Montes Chess Open in Bragança Portugal.
- Indian Grandmaster SP Sethuraman won the Barcelona Open chess tournament title in Barcelona, Spain.
- Indian table tennis player Sathiyan Gnanasekaran beat Ukraine’s Yevhen Pryschchepain straight sets 11-9, 11-6, 11-6,14-12 to claim the men’s singles title at the ITTF Czech International Open in Olomouc in Czech Republic held from 21 to 25 aug 2021.
- Indian paralympic shooter Avani Lekhara won country’s first gold medal in shooting at the Tokyo Paralympics in the women’s 10m air rifle standing SH1 event.
- On Aug 29, 2021, In table tennis, 34-year-old Indian paddler Bhavinaben Patel clinched the silver medal at 2020 Paralympic Games at Tokyo in the women’s singles summit clash.
- On Aug 29, 2021, 23-year-old High jumper Nishad Kumar clinched a silver medal in the men’s high jump T46/47 event at the Tokyo Paralympics 2020.
- Red Bull’s Max Verstappen emerged as the winner of Belgian Grand Prix.
- On Aug 29, 2021,On the occasion of the second anniversary of the Fit India Movement, the Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Shri Anurag Singh Thakur launched the Fit India Mobile Application at Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium, New Delhi
- On Aug 30, 2021, Indian cricketer Stuart Binny announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- On Aug 30, 2021, India’s Sumit Antil won gold medal with a World Record throw of 68.55m in javelin throw F64 at 2020 Summer Paralympics.
- On Aug 30, 2021, India’s Devendra Jhajharia won Silver medal in the men’s javelin throw – F46 final event with a new World record throw of 68.55m.
- 24 year old, Indian discus thrower Yogesh Kathuniya clinched the silver medal with a throw of 44.38m in the Men’s Discus Throw Final (F56) at the Tokyo Paralympics.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : OBITUARIES
- On Aug 21, 2021, Former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Kalyan Singh passed away.
- Olympic footballer and former National coach Syed Shahid Hakim passed away.
- Former Indian football team captain and Olympian O Chandrasekharan Passed away.
- On Aug 25, 2021, Noted agricultural scientist and recipient of Padma Shri award, V. Nimbkar Passed away.
- Former England Test captain Ted Dexter passed away
- On Aug 27, 2021, Renowned Kerala chef and film producer Naushad, passed away.
- Renowned Indian classical musician and tabla player Pt Subhankar Banerjee Passes away.
- On Aug 29, 2021, Noted Bengali writer Buddhadeb Guha, passed away.
- On Aug 29, 2021, US television actor & winner of a record seven Emmy awards Ed Asner Passed away.
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (22nd to 31st August 2021)||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (15th to 21st August 2021)||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (08th to 14th August 2021)||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (01st to 07th August 2021)||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (22nd to 31st July 2021)||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (15th to 21st July 2021)
||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (08th to 14th July 2021)
||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (01st to 07th July 2021)
||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (22nd to 30th June 2021)
||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (15th to 21st June 2021)
||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (08th to 14th June 2021)
||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (01st to 07th June 2021)
||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (22nd to 31st May 2021)
||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (16th to 21st May 2021)
||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (08th to 15th May 2021)
||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (01st to 07th May 2021)
||Click Here to Download|
|Important Weekly Current Affairs Revision (22nd to 30th April 2021)
||Click Here to Download|