International Day Against Drug Abuse And Illicit Trafficking 2021: Every year June 26, is observed as International Day Against Drug Abuse And Illicit Trafficking 2021 to spread awareness about the impact and also the adverse effect that drugs cause in society. The use of drugs has been a serious issue worldwide as the youths are being involved and drug usage has been constantly increasing every year.
International Day against drug abuse and Illicit Trafficking is also known as ‘World Drug Day. The initiative to hold International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking was taken on 7 December 1987 via resolution 42/112 of the United Nations General Assembly. The International Day Against Drug Abuse And Illicit Trafficking 2021 Theme is given below.
International Day Against Drug Abuse And Illicit Trafficking 2021 Theme:
- “Share Drug Facts to Save Lives” is the theme of the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking this year.
- The focus this year is to curb the spread of misinformation on the topic and to encourage the exchange of facts related to drugs.
History of International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking
- Illicit drugs and their trafficking have a large health threat to humanity. The younger generation knows the facts that drugs are harmful to them but still, they intake drugs for enjoyment purposes.
- This enjoyment later converts into addiction and this may lead them to poor health, contraction of diseases through needle sharing, poor self-hygiene, psychological illness, death from overdose, etc.it ruins the people and society socially, physically, culturally, emotionally, and economically.
- Drug usage has extreme cultural and economic harm across the nations therefore it is necessary that the nations should take a serious step in stopping drug usage. Drug trafficking is an international illegal trade that involves the production, cultivation, dissemination, and sale of substances that are prohibited.
- The Northern trade routes and Balkan areas are the main drug trafficking areas that link Afghanistan to the massive market of other international drug markets in Eastern and Western Continents.
International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking 2021
- Many organizations and communities have been working to overcome this situation with a motto to protect the youth and to promote welfare to humankind.
- Drugs affect grey matter of the brain and nervous system which makes it difficult for them to give a proper response.
- On World Drug Day in 2020, the theme was ‘Better Knowledge for Better Care’ to have an understanding of the adverse effects of drugs on the person and society as well.
- Drugs can cause severe loss of appetite and weight, constipation, increased anxiety and irritability, and sleeplessness to people.
- The knowledge of effects caused by drugs would increase international cooperation to counteract the impact on health, governance, and security.
- June 26, 1988, was observed as the first International Day against drug abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
- This day gives an opportunity for Member Nations to reaffirm their support for UN Conventions that attempt to control the world’s drug supply.