Daily Current Affairs
Weekly Current Affairs
Daily Current Affairs Quiz
Important Current Affairs
Latest Current Affairs
Current Affairs Today 20th March 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
World Sparrow Day:
- World Sparrow Day is a day designated to raise awareness of the house sparrow and then other common birds to urban environments, and of threats to their populations, observed on 20 March.
|Theme||I LOVE SPARROW|
International Day Of Happiness:
- The United Nations has celebrated the International Day of Happiness (on 20th March) as a way to recognise the importance of happiness in the lives of people around the world.
- The theme for IDH 2018 is “Share Happiness” - focusing on the importance of relationships, kindness and helping each other.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
IRCTC – Ola joins to provide service in IRCTC App:
- With an aim to providing first-and-last-mile connectivity, railway PSU IRCTC announced a partnership with cab aggregator Ola, giving commuters an option book taxi on its app.
- The tie-up, a six-month pilot project, will give customers access to Ola booking services when they visit the IRCTC Rail Connect App and on its website. The Ola cab facility will provide all the services offered.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Uber self-driving car kills woman in US, tests suspended
- Cab-hailing startup Uber has stopped all self-driving car tests after a car in autonomous mode killed a woman who was crossing a street in the US state of Arizona.
- This is reportedly the first known death of a pedestrian struck by a self-driving car on a public road. An Uber spokesperson said the company is fully cooperating with authorities.
EU and UK agree to finish Brexit transition by Dec 2020:
- The UK has reached a legal agreement with the European Union (EU) to end the Brexit transition by December 31, 2020.
- The transitional period will begin from March 29, 2019. The agreement also gives EU citizens arriving in the UK during the transition the same rights and guarantees as those who arrive before Brexit.
|Prime Minister||Theresa May|
India hands over last diesel railway locomotive engine to Myanmar
- India today handed over the 18th and last diesel railway locomotive engine to Myanmar, thus executing a key project ahead of time as part of efforts to boost ties with the neighbor.
- These 18 locomotives are fitted with microprocessor control-based system, attaining a maximum speed of 100 km per hour and are customized for Myanmar Railways. The locos have been built by the Diesel Locomotive Works in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
BHEL Commissions 1st Unit Of Kishanganga Hydro Project In Jammu & Kashmir:
- BHEL has commissioned 1st unit of 110 MW of the Kishanganga hydroelectric project (HEP) of NHPC in Jammu and Kashmir. Located on the river Kishanganga, a tributary of the Jhelum in Bandipora district, all the three units of the 340 MW project will generate 1,350 million units (MU) of clean electricity annually.
- The other two units are also in advanced stages of commissioning. In J&K, Bhel has so far commissioned 31 Hydro sets with a cumulative capacity of 1,257 MW.
|J&K Capital||Jammu (Winter) Srinagar (Summer)|
|CM||Mehbooba Mufti Sayeed|
|Governor||Narinder Nath Vohra|
Centre approves to set up a plastic park in Deoghar district of Jharkhand:
- Centre has approved to set up a plastic park in Deoghar district of Jharkhand. The park is being set up at an estimated cost of 120 crore rupees and is spread over 150 acres of land.
- Briefing reporters in New Delhi, Chemical and Fertilisers Minister Ananth Kumar said, the park will provide six thousand direct employments and 30 thousand indirect employment for the people.
- He said Centre will also set up a plastic refining unit in the same area at the cost of 3.5 crore rupees.
Bihar Governor Satya Pal Malik given additional charge as Governor of Odisha:
- Bihar Governor Satya Pal Malik has been given additional charge as the Governor of Odisha. A communique issued by the President's Secretariat said Mr Malik will discharge the additional functions until regular arrangements are made.
- Dr SC Jamir, who is the present Odisha governor, is completing his tenure today.
|Governor||Satya Pal Malik|
Yoga training for primary school teachers in Sikkim:
- The Sikkim government is training primary school teachers in the state so that they can give lessons on basic yoga to students.
- According to an official release, Yoga was introduced in the curriculum in all government schools from the academic session 2016-17.
- More than 250 primary school teachers have been trained in the basics of yoga so far by 'Master Trainers'.
- The training was organized in a phased manner for all districts by the Directorate of Primary Education under the Human Resource Development Department in all the districts.
|CM||Pawan Kumar Chamling|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Axis Bank announces new representative office in Sharjah
- Axis Bank on Sunday opened a representative office in Sharjah, to better serve its customers in the emirate and to expand its retail offerings to customers in the neighboring northern emirates.
- Shri Vipul, consul general of India in Dubai, inaugurated the representative office, which is the third such Axis Bank office in the UAE after Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
- The new office will not only service the non-resident Indian (NRI) community in the emirate, but will also help effectively service customers in the other emirates of Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, Ras Al Khaimah, and Fujairah.
CURRENT AFFAIRS SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
1st National Workshop on POSHAN Abhiyan Held in New Delhi:
- The first National workshop on POSHAN Abhiyan involving all the states and union territories was held at Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra, New Delhi.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is organising the day-long workshop with participation from all the states/UTs.
- It is been organized to provide a complete orientation on the POSHAN Abhiyan, to explain the key components of the Abhiyaan and to provide handholding in using the software involved.
- The Ministry of WCD is also launching five e-ILA (e-Incremental Learning Approach) courses and two ECCE (Early Childhood Care and Education) software modules.
Third edition of National Conclave on Mines and Minerals to be held in Delhi:
- The third edition of National Conclave on Mines and Minerals will be held in New Delhi.
- Representatives of various state governments, mining industry, industry associations, financial and academic institutions will participate in the event.
- In a statement, the Ministry of Mines said, the conclave will provide an effective platform to showcase the recent policy initiatives of the government.
G-20 meeting in Argentina eclipsed by potential trade war
- Finance Ministers and central bankers from 20 leading industrial and developing countries are meeting in Argentina amid growing concerns over potential global trade war following US decision to slap import tariffs on steel and aluminum.
- G-20 officials are also discussing issues including infrastructure development and the technology behind cryptocurrencies during the two-day meeting that began in Buenos Aires yesterday.
- This is the first of five such meetings to be held before Argentina hosts the G20 Summit in November.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Indo-French naval exercise 'Varuna-18' Concluded in the Arabian Sea off the Goa coast:
- The navies of India and France are currently engaged in a joint bilateral exercise, "Varuna-18", in the Arabian Sea off the Goa coast, which commenced days after the leaders of the two countries decided to further deepen their maritime cooperation.
F-16 jet production unit in India
- The plan to set up an F-16 jet production unit in India will be an "exclusive" proposition that will help the country in achieving its operational needs as well as the 'Make in India' initiative, according to American aerospace and defence major Lockheed Martin.
- As India continues to shop around to add new fighter jets into its air force, Lockheed Martin has offered to relocate its entire production line to India.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
India And EU Signed Agreement On Sharing Earth Observation Data:
- India and the European Union (EU) have signed an agreement that will enable them to share earth observation data from each other’s satellites. The pact was inked in Bengaluru.
- The Copernicus programme provides a wide range of applications like climate change, land, ocean and atmosphere monitoring as well as support in forecasting, management and mitigation of natural disasters.
- Under this arrangement, Indian Space Research Organisation ISRO will share data from its earth observation satellites.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
World Happiness Report 2018: India ranks 133rd, Finland was happiest country, Burundi unhappiest:
- The World Happiness Report 2018 was also released recently that ranks 156 countries by their happiness levels, and 117 countries by the happiness of their immigrants.
- Finland was ranked as the happiest country in the list and Burundi in East Africa is the unhappiest place in the world.
- India ranks 133rd in the report after Pakistan (75th), China (86th) and Nepal (101st).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENT AND RESIGNATION
Atul M. Gotsurve Appointed Next Ambassador Of India To Republic Of Korea:
- Atul M. Gotsurve has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
- He is currently Director of the Ministry of External Affairs. He is the IFS officer of 2004 batch.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HNOURS
President Ram Nath Kovind to confer Padma awards :
- Noted music composer Illaiyaraja, litterateur P Parameswaran and 83 other prominent personalities will be conferred with the prestigious Padma awards of 2018 by President Ram Nath Kovind in New Delhi today.
- Among them 16 are posthumous awards.
NCAA Becomes World’s 1st Trusted Digital Repository:
- National Cultural Audiovisual Archives (NCAA) project of the Ministry of Culture, Government of India, implemented by Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) has been certified as the world’s first Trusted Digital Repository as per ISO standard, granted by Primary Trustworthy Digital Repository Authorisation Body Ltd. (PTAB), United Kingdom.
- The primary objective of the NCAA is to identify and preserve the cultural heritage of India available in audiovisual form through a process of digitization and making it accessible to the people.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Purva Barve Wins Women’s Singles U-19 Title At Israel Junior 2018:
- India’s Purva Barve has won the Women’s Singles (Under-19) title at the Israel Junior 2018 Badminton tournament held in Rishon LeZion, Israel.
- She has defeated the third-seeded and top-ranked Russian Anastasiia Pustinskaia in three sets. The title is her first in 2018 and third overall. Earlier she won the Israel Junior 2017, Italian Junior International 2017 apart from a bronze at the Russian Junior White Nights 2017.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITURIES
Veteran Hindi Poet Kedarnath Singh Passes Away:
- Renowned Hindi poet and critic Kedarnath Singh passed away at the age of 83. Prof. He was the former professor and chairperson of the Department of Hindi Language at the Centre for Indian Languages at Jawaharlal Nehru University.
- Singh was a recipient of the Jnanapeeth award in 2013. He won the Sahitya Akademi award in 1989 for his poetry collection Akaal Mein Saras.