This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Daily Current Affairs Quiz of 1st September 2020:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
PM Modi inaugurates college, administration buildings of Rani Lakshmi Bai Central Agricultural University in Jhansi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated college and administration buildings of the Rani Lakshmi Bai (RLB) Central Agricultural University in Uttar Pradesh’s Jhansi through video conferencing.
- The RLB Central Agriculture University is located in Jhansi and is a prominent institute in the Bundelkhand region.
- This would improve the education infrastructure and contribute to cutting edge research in agriculture as well as further farmer welfare.
Rs 601.12 crore annual action plan approved for PMKSY in J&K
- An amount of Rs 601,12 crore annual plan has been approved for Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) for the year 2020-21, an official spokesman stated .
- The Committee approved 601.12 crore annual action plan of PMKSY for the year 2020-21. The annual plan lays emphasis on various components under the schemes Per Drop More Crop (PDMC), Har Khet Ko Paani (HKKP), Integrated Watershed Management Plan (IWMP) and Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP).
- It was informed that as a result of previous interventions, area irrigated by bore wells, community WHT and farm ponds has increased by 6798 Ha, whereas, area under micro-irrigation- drip, sprinkler and rain guns, has gone up by 6766 Ha. These measures have increased crop production by 30 per cent, saved water by 70 per cent and benefitted 7,000 agro-dependent families, besides, reducing water runoff and recharging ground water reservoirs.
- In the current financial year, the Department has proposed bringing 12,000 Ha additional areas under irrigation and reducing the gap between ultimate irrigation potential and irrigation potential by converging 144 existing schemes.
- The State Level Sanctioning Committee also approved top up subsidy amounting to Rs. 10.26 crore including 55 per cent central assistance, as Micro Irrigation Fund from NABARD, which will provide financial assistance to farmers adopting micro irrigation techniques as a part of sustainable agricultural activities.
- Earlier, while chairing a meeting of State Level Executive Committee of National Livestock Mission (NLM), Chief Secretary approved Rs 32.24 crore action plan of centrally sponsored scheme for the year 2020-21. NLM is an umbrella scheme comprising sub-missions on livestock development, feed & fodder development and skill development, technology & extension.
DEA holds Sustainable Finance Collaborative consultation with UNDP
- Department of Economic Affairs (DEA), Ministry of Finance, Government of India, in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme India launched the Sustainable Finance Collaborative on 26th August 2020. The consultation was held on 26th, 27th and 28th August over virtual platform which brought forth thematic discussions around some key aspects of Sustainable Finance.
- The Collaborative saw a host of thematic discussions centred around the broad scope of Sustainable Finance architecture in India. It included dialogues on critical elements such as the barriers to deploying new and innovative financing such as impact investing, role of blended finance instruments, green finance instruments for sustainable development, need for taxonomy of environmentally sustainable activities, sustainability related disclosures by corporates, and preparing the financial sector for the risks posed by climate change and other environmental and social issues.
- Around 220 delegates representing different ministries and departments of Government of India, Indian financial sector regulators, Multilateral Development Banks, bilateral partner agencies, UN entities, financial institutions, impact and commercial investors, corporates, industry associations, Civil Society Organizations and academia participated in the dialogue.
- The Collaborative provided valuable insights and tangible recommendations that would be helpful in developing a Sustainable Finance framework/roadmap for India.
About United Nations Development Programme:
- Headquarters: New York, New York, United States
- Head: Achim Steiner
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
New e-market platform launched to bridge gap between Indian farmers and UAE food industry
- The UAE has launched Agriota, a new technology-driven agri-commodity trading and sourcing e-market platform that will bridge the gap between millions of rural farmers in India and the Gulf nation’s food industry.
- Launched by the Dubai’s free-zone Dubai Multi Commodities Centre (DMCC) and the government of Dubai’s authority on commodities trade and enterprise.
- The marketplace allows the farmers to bypass intermediaries, optimising the supply chain and ensuring traceability to create value for all stakeholders.
- The online marketplace also provides end-to-end traceability and transparency through last-mile verification and extension infrastructure in a blockchain environment.
- Initially, the platform will offer cereals, pulses, oil seeds, fruits, vegetables, spices and condiments.
- President: Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
- Capital: Abu Dhabi
- Currency: United Arab Emirates dirham
Israeli Airliner Completes First Direct Flight to Arab Emirates
- A chartered El Al airliner carrying Israeli and American diplomats landed in the United Arab Emirates, completing a symbolic first direct flight from Tel Aviv to Abu Dhabi.
- This would pave the way for formal diplomatic and commercial ties and might inspire other Arab nations to follow suit in normalizing relations with the Jewish state.
- Capital: Jerusalem
- Prime minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
- Currency: Israeli Shekel
India to receive development assistance loan worth Rs 3,500 Cr from Japan to fight COVID-19
- Japan has committed an official Development Assistance loan of 3 thousand 500 crore rupees for the COVID-19 Crisis Emergency Response Support. The Notes were exchanged between the Additional Secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs Dr C.S. Mohapatra and Ambassador of Japan to India Suzuki Satoshi for a Health sector programme loan to fight the COVID-19 crisis.
- Japan International Cooperation Agency, JICA is a governmental agency that coordinates Official Development Assistance for the Government of Japan.
- This programme loan aims to support India’s efforts in fighting COVID-19 and to prepare the health system to manage future epidemics and also to improve the resilience of India’s health systems against infectious diseases.
- This Grant-in-aid from the Government of Japan is for providing medical equipment to strengthen the public health and medical system in India. It will strengthen the health care facilities for managing critical and serious patients suffering from COVID-19 infection.
- Capital: Tokyo
- Currency: Japanese yen
Togo first in Africa to end sleeping sickness
- Togo has become the first country in Africa to eliminate human African Trypanosomiasis or sleeping sickness, a disease caused by parasites transmitted through infected tsetse flies. The World Health Organization (WHO) August 27, 2020 certified so, after the country applied for it in 2018.
- Sleeping sickness is currently found in 36 sub-Saharan African countries, according to the WHO. If untreated, it can become fatal.
- Togo did not report any cases in the past 10 years. The west African country managed to achieve this after more than two decades of sustained political commitment, surveillance and screening of cases, according to the WHO.
- The country’s public health officials started implementing control measures from 2000. In 2011, it established surveillance sites at hospitals in Mango and Tchamba cities, covering the main areas at risk from the disease.
- Five more countries — Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire and Ghana — have applied for WHO certification as well. Benin and Burkina Faso have not reported any sleeping sickness cases since 2001. Except for one case in 2013, Ghana did not report any more cases since 2001.
- WHO and its partners aim to eliminate the disease from all endemic countries by 2030. Eliminating sleeping sickness, however, will require a serious commitment of endemic countries, donors and integrating control and surveillance activities into their regular health systems, the WHO stated.
- Capital: Lome
- Currency: West African CFA franc
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
ICICI Bank launches virtual property exhibition
- Private sector lender ICICI Bank, launched a virtual property exhibition that digitally showcases real estate projects from key cities across the country.
- Called Home Utsav, the exhibition is available for everyone, including ICICI Bank’s customers, and those who are not customers of the bank.
- They can also avail exclusive offers such as attractive interest rates, special processing fees and digital sanction of loans on buying a property through this exhibition,” the lender stated in a statement, adding that its customers can get further benefits such as pre-approved and insta series of products.
About ICICI Bank:
- CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi
- Headquarters: Mumbai
GDP decline for full FY21 seen at around 10.9%, up from earlier estimate of 6.8%: SBI’s Ecowrap
- With first quarter (Q1) gross domestic product (GDP) contraction of 23.9 per cent revealing a deeper economic malaise, State Bank of India’s Economic Research Department has now estimated that the decline in FY21 growth will likely be in double-digits, around 10.9 per cent, against the previous estimate of 6.8 per cent.
- SBI’s Economic Research Department, in its report Ecowrap, emphasised that the contraction in Q1 (April-June) FY21 GDP due to the nation-wide lockdown imposed on March 25, 2020, in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, is much worse than market and its own estimates.
- As per Ecowrap, Q2 real GDP decline will be in the range of –12 per cent to –15 per cent, Q3: -5 per cent to –10 per cent and Q4: -2 per cent to -5 per cent.
- Ecowrap observed that the GDP contraction in Q1FY21 is India’s worst growth performance since the country started reporting quarterly GDP data in 1996. In the 2004-05 base, India’s lowest quarterly GDP growth was 1.66 per cent in Q3FY03.
- Till now, GDP growth data of 60 countries has been released. Apart from China and Vietnam all economies exhibited decline in growth. The average decline of 60 economies in April-June 2020 is 12.2 per cent, compared to 1.4 per cent decline in January-March 2020.
- exhibited a decline of 20.6 per cent in Q1 FY21, in comparison to 5.5 per cent growth in Q1 FY20.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
First newspaper for kids ‘The Young Minds’ launched in Assam
- Two Guwahati-based women entrepreneurs have launched a newspaper specifically designed for kids, to promote creative thinking among children and inculcate in them the habit to read and write.
- The newspaper named ‘The Young Minds’ is the brainchild of Neelam Sethia and Neha Bajaj, Assam news portal Gplus reported.
- The Young Minds, reportedly, will cater to kids of 4-14 years of age.
- This weekly newspaper will include content that will help engage children in activities such as games, puzzles, riddles, fun facts and news, vocabulary, science and maths experiments.
- It will also provide kids with a platform to get their arts and write-ups published and win prizes by participating in monthly contests.
- Capital: Dispur
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- Chief Minister: Sarbananda Sonowal (BJP)
Karnataka CM flags off RO-RO train service between Bengaluru and Solapur
- Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa flagged off Roll-On/Roll-Off (RO-RO) train between Bengaluru (Nelamangala) to Solapur (Maharashtra) through video conferencing. CM Yediyurappa flagged off the RO-RO train from Nelamagala station on the outskirts of Bengaluru at 9.15 am.
- Explaining about the RO-RO service, the South Western Railway (SWR) stated it will have open flat wagon on which trucks with goods are loaded. The driver and cleaner of the lorries sit in their vehicles. They are dropped at a particular point from which they drive off.
- The train will take 17 hours to reach its final destination which is at a distance of about 682 kms.As many as 42 trucks with goods can be carried at time in this train.
- The train will run via Dharmavaram, Guntakal, Raichur and Wadi to reach Bale near Solapur in Maharashtra.
- According to SWR, the RO-RO service reduces accidents on the road, improves safety, saves fuel, and foreign exchange. It ensures faster transport of essential goods, perishables, food items and smaller cargo, it stated.
- While it facilitates large-scale movement of goods and reduces pollution, the cost of transport is lesser than transport by road.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief minister: B. S. Yediyurappa
- Governor: Vajubhai Vala
51st IFFI to be held in Goa from Nov 20
- Fifty first International Film Festival of India IFFI will be held in Goa, from November 20th to 28th. This film festival being a hybrid film festival due to Covid 19, would screen films on official digital platform along with the theatrical screenings.
- Vice-chairman of the Entertainment Society of Goa, Subhash Faldesai informed that in a virtual meeting held last week, the IFFI steering committee decided to hold the festival in compliance with the Central government’s SOP.
- The segments that could be screened virtually and those which can be shown at auditoriums in Goa will be decided in this meeting. Phaldesai added that the possibility of giving online access to delegates for films rather than inviting them to the venue is worked out and it is likely to be finalised in the next meeting.
AP Govt to launch two schemes for pregnant women on September 1
- Andhra Padesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy will launch two new schemes for pregnant women.
- The schemes, YSR Sampoorna Poshana and YSR Sampoorna Poshana Plus, to be launched on September 1, 2020 aim at providing nutritious food for pregnant women and lactating mothers along with children.
- While YSR Sampoorna Poshana Plus is intended to supply nutritious food exclusively in 77 Tribal areas covering 8 ITDAs, 52 ICDS projects and 8,320 Anganwadi Centres, all the remaining urban and rural areas lying in plain lands will be covered under YSR Sampoorna Poshana.
- In order to address malnutrition and anemia among pregnant and lactating mothers and children aged between 6 months and 72 months, the State government has brought YSR Sampoorna Poshana Plus and YSR Sampoorna Poshana schemes to provide supplementary nutrition through Anganwadi centers.
- The State government will be spending 1,900 crore every year to supply nutritious food under this scheme.
- In order to monitor the effective implementation of YSR Sampoorna Poshana, Department of Women Development and Child Welfare has developed a comprehensive mobile application to assess the service delivery and satisfaction levels of the beneficiaries, according to a release.
About Andhra Pradesh:
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswabhusan Harichandan
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Vedanta ties up with SBI for long-term syndicated loan of Rs 10,000 cr
- Vedanta Ltd has tied up with State Bank of India for a long-term syndicated loan facility worth Rs 10,000 crore.
- Vedanta Ltd has tied up a long-term syndicated loan facility for Rs 10,000 crore with State Bank of India as facility agent and SBICAP Trustee Company Ltd as the security trustee with door to door tenor of seven years.
- State Bank of India has given a commitment of Rs 5,000 crore as a lender.
- Security is provided by way of pledge over the shares held by the company in Hindustan Zinc Ltd, representing 82 per cent of the paid-up share capital of HZL which will be released in a phased manner as per the terms of the facility.
- The company has also given a non-disposal undertaking in respect of its shareholding in HZL to the extent of 50.1 per cent of the paid-up share capital of HZL which shares are not pledged.
- Chairperson: Rajnish Kumar
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: 1 July 1955
About Vedanta Limited
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Sunil Duggal
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPS AND PORTALS
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance introduces customer service chatbot ‘LiGo’ on Google Assistant
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance has introduced its customer service chatbot ‘LiGo’ on ‘Google Assistant’.
- This would enable the Company’s policyholders to have their queries addressed by simple voice commands such as “Ok Google, I want to speak to ICICI Prudential Life LiGo” or “May I talk to ICICI Prudential Life LiGo”.
- There has been rapid adoption of AI-powered voice assistants by individuals owing to personalized, and immediate experiences being provided.
- Customers can instantly access information on their policies by activating ‘Google Assistant’ on their Android smartphones and speaking out their policy number or registered phone number. It is as simple as asking Google for directions or traffic.
About ICICI Prudential Life Insurance
- CEO: N. S. Kannan
- Headquarters: Mumbai
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
Reliance Industries to acquire Future Group’s retail business for Rs 24,713 crore
- Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries announced the acquisition of the retail, wholesale, logistics and warehousing businesses of Kishore Biyani’s Future Group for Rs 24,713 crore. The acquisition was done through the company’s subsidiary Reliance Retail Ventures.
- Reliance Retail will now have access to close to 1,800 outlets of Future Group’s Big Bazaar, Easyday, Central, and Foodhall stores, which are spread across 420 cities in India.
- The deal will help Reliance Retail accelerate and provide support to millions of small merchants in increasing their competitiveness and enhance their income during these challenging times.
- The Reliance Retail and Fashion Lifestyle Limited also proposes to invest about Rs 1,200 crore in the preferential issue of equity shares of Future Enterprises to acquire 6.09% of post-merger equity.
- Reliance Retail’s expansion came days after the Reliance Retail Ventures Limited acquired a majority stake in online pharmacy Netmeds for Rs 620 crore.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Kiara Advani Becomes New Brand Ambassador For Myntra
- Flipkart-owned fashion e-commerce brand Myntra has signed up with Bollywood actress Kiara Advani as its brand ambassador.
- Myntra is one of the largest fashion e-commerce stores in India and has partnered with fashion and lifestyle brands in the country such as Nike, Adidas, Puma, Levis, Wrangler, Arrow, Jealous 21, Diesel, CAT, Harley Davidson, Ferrari, Timberland, US Polo, FabIndia, Biba among others.
Lebanese diplomat Mustapha Adib named Prime Minister
- Lebanon’s leaders have designated the country’s ambassador to Germany, Mustapha Adib, as the new premier.
- Adib, who has been Beirut’s Berlin envoy since 2013, is affiliated with a small Sunni party headed by former Prime Minister Najib Mikati.
- Days after the blast, the government of Prime Minister Hassan Diab, a self-styled technocrat, stepped down.
ISL Side Chennaiyin FC Appoint Csaba Laszlo As Head Coach For 2020-21 Season
- Two-time Indian Super League (ISL) champions Chennaiyin FC announced the appointment of experienced Csaba Laszlo as their head coach for the 2020-21 season. It will be the 56-year-old Hungarian Laszlo’s first stint in Asia. He has more than two decades of coaching experience at club and international level.
- The Romania-born Laszlo had coaching stints in eight countries, including two national teams — Uganda and Lithuania. Laszlo replaced Owen Coyle, who took the team to the final in the 2019-20 ISL season.
- Laszlo also became head coach of Hungarian giants Ferencvaros and he won the 2005 Hungarian Coach of the Year award. He then assumed the role of Ugandan national team boss, whom he took from 167 to 97 in the FIFA world rankings.
Retired IAS Officer Utpal Kumar Singh Appointed Secretary In Lok Sabha
- Retired Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer Utpal Kumar Singh has been appointed as Secretary in Lok Sabha with effect from September 1. The appointment was approved by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla on August 28.
- According to the notification issued by Lok Sabha secretariat, Singh has been appointed Secretary on a contract. Singh, a 1986 batch IAS officer served as the chief secretary of Uttarakhand before retiring on July 31 this year.
- Utpal Kumar Singh, who hails from Jharkhand, has previously held various key positions in state and central ministries with departments ranging from Horticulture, Tourism, Home, Energy, Public Works Department (PWD). He has also been the Principal Secretary to the Chief Minister of Uttarkhand in the previous BJP government.
Hemant Khatri takes over as CMD of Hindustan Shipyard
- Cmde Hemant Khatri (Retd) assumed charge as the Chairman and Managing Director of state-owned defence shipbuilder, Hindustan Shipyard Ltd.
- Khatri was until recently the Director (Strategic Projects) in Hindustan Shipyard and was in-charge of the normal refit of INS Sindhuvir (EKM class submarine) that was successfully completed ahead of contractual timelines.
- He also spearheaded the refit of INS Astradharani, which was also completed ahead of schedule.
- Prior to taking over as Chairman and Managing Director of HSL, he was also Project Director of fleet solid support (FSS) programme and concluded an important contract for collaboration with a foreign yard earlier this year.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONORS
Hyderabad International Airport wins CII-GBC ‘National Energy Leader’ award
- The Hyderabad International Airport has won the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) – Godrej Green Business Centre (GBC) ‘National Energy Leader’ and ‘Excellent Energy Efficient Unit’ award.
- The GMR led Hyderabad International Airport was awarded at the 21st National Awards for ‘Excellence in Energy Management” organized by CII and GBC, during the 19th edition of ‘Energy Efficiency Summit”.
- The airport is also a Carbon Neutral Airport having Level 3 + “Neutrality” Accreditation from Airports Council International (ACI) under its Airport Carbon Accreditation (ACA) programme.
Srinagar based govt school teacher selected for National Teachers Award 2020
- Roohi Sultana, a Kashmir based teacher, who uses ‘play way method’ to teach her students has been selected for National Teachers Award 2020 which she dedicated to her students and education department.
- She completed her Masters in Urdu and Kashmiri languages, B.Ed (Bachelor of Education), and also three years degree course in calligraphy.
- The award will be given away by President Ram Nath Kovind on September 5 (Teacher’s Day). The award is given every year to provide public recognition to meritorious teachers working in primary, middle, and secondary schools.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
Dr. Harsh Vardhan invites stakeholders in country and abroad to participate in formulating STIP 2020
- Union Minister for Science and Technology, Harsh Vardhan invited stakeholders and the public at large in the country and abroad to participate in formulating an evidence-driven, inclusive Science Technology and Innovation Policy (STIP 2020).
- He stated that it would bring about technology indigenization to become self-reliant, mainstream traditional knowledge systems with conventional R&D, strengthen industry-academia, government interconnectedness and promote equity.
- Harsh Vardhan was speaking at the inauguration of ‘In Conversation With’ – a series of exclusive interactions with leaders from across the country on STIP 2020, which is being formulated. He also launched the STIP 2020 Page on MyGov Portal’ along with popularisation Quiz for school children in a virtual event.
NCPUL organises “World Urdu Conference” in New Delhi
- Union Education Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ virtually addressed the inaugural session of the two days World Urdu Conference organised by National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language ( NCPUL ) in New Delhi.
- The Education Minister also made an important announcement and stated that Urdu writers and literators will be honoured with awards and honours in the name of important personalities of Urdu like Amir Khusrow, Mirza Ghalib, Agha Hashar, Ram Babu Saxena and Daya Shankar Naseem to encourage Urdu writers for literary and creative services by the Urdu Council from next year..
- The other participants on account of the NCPUL, that is Tehseen Munawwar, Ajmal Saeed and Dr Kalimullah too conducted the session very competently and professionally. The academic in charge of the NCPUL, while thanking all the dignitaries and the participants, stated that Urdu is not only the of language of the heart but future.
17TH ASEAN-India Economic Ministers’ Consultations held
- Shri Piyush Goyal, Minister of Commerce and Industry & Railways and E. Tran Tuan Anh, Minister of Industry and Trade of Vietnam co-chaired the 17th ASEAN-India Economic Ministers Consultations held virtually on 29th August 2020.
- The meeting was attended by the Trade Ministers of all the 10 ASEAN countries Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
- The Ministers reaffirmed their commitment to take collective actions in mitigating the economic impact of the pandemic and resolved to ensure macroeconomic and financial stability and resilient supply chain connectivity, particularly the unimpeded flow of essential goods and medicines in the region, in compliance with the WTO rules.
- The Ministers’ discussion centred on the review of the ASEAN India Trade in Goods Agreement (AITIGA). The Ministers appreciated the growing trade ties and deepening economic engagement between two parties. The report of the ASEAN India Business Council (AIBC) was placed before the Ministers. The AIBC Report has recommended that the AITIGA be reviewed for mutual benefit.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Indian Railways develops remote-controlled medical trolley ‘MEDBOT’ to deliver food, medicines to COVID-19 patients
- Indian Railways has developed a remote-controlled medical trolley named ‘MEDBOT’ to help deliver food and medicines to COVID-19 patients.
- It is providing service in the Central Hospital of the Diesel Rail Engine Factory of Indian Railways.
About Indian Railways
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: V K Yadav
IIT Bombay students launch AI-based alternative to CamScanner: AIR Scanner
- IIT Bombay, launched AIR Scanner, a free-of-cost document-scanning mobile application.
- The AI (Artificial Intelligence) based Reading Assistant and Document Scanner app is developed by Rohit Kumar Chaudhary and Kavin Agrawal, both students of IIT Bombay.
- AIR Scanner app does not collect any information about the user and all the documents are stored in the phone’s local storage.
- The document scanned using a mobile camera will be saved in PDF format and will be stored in the device only.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Amul becomes first Indian dairy company to be in Rabobank’s Global Top 20 list; Nestle leads
- Amul, Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF), has become the first Indian dairy firm to make a place of 16th in the global top 20 list released by Rabobank, a Dutch multinational banking and financial services company.
- Switzerland’s Nestle topped the list with a turnover of US $22.1 billion, followed by France’s Lactalis with US $ 21 billion turnover. Amul has achieved an annual turnover of $5.5 billion.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
2020 Chess Olympiad: India, Russia declared joint winners after server malfunction
- India and Russia were declared joint winners of the 2020 Online Chess Olympiad after the final was marred by internet disconnection and server malfunction.
- This was the first time FIDE, the international chess federation, was holding the Olympiad in an online format, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- FIDE President Arkady Dvorkovich made a decision to give gold medals of FIDE Online #ChessOlympiad to both teams – India and Russia.
- Russia were initially declared winners after two Indian players — Nihal Sarin and Divya Deshmukh — lost out on time in the final after suffering a disconnection with the server.
- The first round of the final ended in a 3-3 draw with all the six games finishing in stalemate.
- Russia won the second round 4.5-1.5 with wins for Andrey Esipenko over Sarin and Polina Shuvalova over Deshmukh, leading to a controversy as the Indians claimed the losses were due to connection issues.
- The Indian squad at the Chess Olympiad 2020 included Vishwanathan Anand, Vidit Santosh Gujarati (captain), P. Harikrishna, Koneru Humpy, Dronavalli Harika, Bhakti Kulkarni, Nihal Sarin, Divya Deshmukh, R. Praggnanandha, Vantika Agrawal, R. Vaishali and Arvindh Chithambaram.
Arsenal defeat Liverpool on penalties in thrilling final to win FA Community Shield
- Arsenal defeated Liverpool on penalties to win the FA Community Shield at the Wembley Stadium in England.
- FA Community Shield is an annual football match played between the winners of the previous season’s Premier League winner and the previous season’s FA Cup winners.
- Liverpool had won the 2019-20 Premier League title while Arsenal had won the FA Cup after defeating Chelsea in the finals.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
K Shankar Bajpai, India’s former envoy to US, China and Pakistan, passes away
- Former diplomat Katyayani Shankar Bajpai passed away at the age of 92.
- Bajpai joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1952, and went on to become India’s ambassador to the United States, China, and Pakistan — three of the most important diplomatic postings for an Indian official.
- Bajpai also played a notable part in the integration of the kingdom of Sikkim into the Union of India — he was posted as India’s political officer there between 1970 and 1974.
Former President of India Bharat Ratna Pranab Mukherjee passes away
- Former President Pranab Mukherjee passed away after he developed a lung infection and also tested positive for COVID-19.
- He first became an MP, in the Rajya Sabha in 1969 on a Congress nomination.
- Mukherjee held many ministerial positions in the government of India, including Defence, Finance, and External Affairs before he was elected President of India in 2012.
Legendary cardio specialist Dr Sivaramakrishna Iyer Padmavati dies of Covid-19 at 103
- Pioneering cardiologist Dr Sivaramakrishna Iyer Padmavati, who had established the country’s first cardiac care unit at Delhi’s Govind Ballabh Pant hospital, passed away of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19). She was 103.
- Born in Myanmar,she fled to India after the Japanese invasion during World War II and became the country’s first woman cardiologist.
- Popularly referred to as the ‘Godmother of cardiology’.
DAILY CA 30TH AND 31ST AUG
- International Day of the Disappeared, observed on August 30 of each year
- Every year 30 August is observed as the National Small Industry Day
- Assam Cabinet setting up of skill university in Darrang
- Kerala to set up India’s first International Women’s Trade Centre
- UP Govt Launches ‘Major Dhyan Chand Vijaypath Yojana’ To Build Roads To 19 Int’l Players Houses
- CISF launches ‘Pension Corner’ app for its retired personnel
- World War 2 spy Noor Inayat Khan first Indian origin woman to get UK memorial plaque
- SBI bags three Brandon Hall Excellence Awards for ‘Nayi Disha’
- ‘Vattatha Uravakkayi Jalasamrudhi’ wins award for excellence at the National Water Innovation Summit
- India, France in talks for Mission Alpha-like equipment for Gaganyaan astronauts
- India withdraws from multilateral war game in Russia’s Kavkaz
- India 72nd on global list with average monthly wage of Rs 32,800
- Alexander Kristoff wins first stage of Tour de France
- Lewis Hamilton wins Belgian Grand Prix to secure 89th victory of career
- Para swimmer Satyendra Singh first Divyang sportsperson of country to get prestigious Adventure Award
- Deep Grace, Jayanti Behera get Biju Patnaik awards on National Sports Day
- Former India athletic coach Purushotham Rai passes away hours before receiving Dronacharya Award
DAILY CA 1ST SEP
- PM Modi inaugurates college, administration buildings of Rani Lakshmi Bai Central Agricultural University in Jhansi
- Rs 601.12 crore annual action plan approved for PMKSY in J&K
- DEA holds Sustainable Finance Collaborative consultation with UNDP
- New e-market platform launched to bridge gap between Indian farmers and UAE food industry
- Israeli Airliner Completes First Direct Flight to Arab Emirates
- India to receive development assistance loan worth Rs 3,500 Cr from Japan to fight COVID-19
- Togo first in Africa to end sleeping sickness
- ICICI Bank launches virtual property exhibition
- GDP decline for full FY21 seen at around 10.9%, up from earlier estimate of 6.8%: SBI’s Ecowrap
- First newspaper for kids ‘The Young Minds’ launched in Assam
- Karnataka CM flags off RO-RO train service between Bengaluru and Solapur
- 51st IFFI to be held in Goa from Nov:20
- AP Govt to launch two schemes for pregnant women on September 1
- Vedanta ties up with SBI for long-term syndicated loan of Rs 10,000 cr
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance introduces customer service chatbot ‘LiGo’ on Google Assistant
- Reliance Industries to acquire Future Group’s retail business for Rs 24,713 crore
- Kiara Advani Becomes New Brand Ambassador For Myntra
- Lebanese diplomat Mustapha Adib named Prime Minister
- ISL Side Chennaiyin FC Appoint Csaba Laszlo As Head Coach For 2020-21 Season
- Retired IAS Officer Utpal Kumar Singh Appointed Secretary In Lok Sabha
- Hemant Khatri takes over as CMD of Hindustan Shipyard
- Hyderabad International Airport wins CII-GBC ‘National Energy Leader’ award
- Srinagar based govt school teacher selected for National Teachers Award 2020
- Harsh Vardhan invites stakeholders in country and abroad to participate in formulating STIP 2020
- NCPUL organises “World Urdu Conference” in New Delhi
- 17TH ASEAN-India Economic Ministers’ Consultations held
- Indian Railways develops remote-controlled medical trolley ‘MEDBOT’ to deliver food, medicines to COVID-19 patients
- IIT Bombay students launch AI-based alternative to CamScanner: AIR Scanner
- Amul becomes first Indian dairy company to be in Rabobank’s Global Top 20 list; Nestle leads
- 2020 Chess Olympiad: India, Russia declared joint winners after server malfunction
- Arsenal defeat Liverpool on penalties in thrilling final to win FA Community Shield
- K Shankar Bajpai, India’s former envoy to US, China and Pakistan, passes away
- Former President of India Bharat Ratna Pranab Mukherjee passes away
- Legendary cardio specialist Dr Sivaramakrishna Iyer Padmavati dies of Covid-19 at 103