Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
World Population Day
- World Population Day is an annual event, observed on July 11 every year, which seeks to raise awareness of global population issues.
- The event was established by the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme in
- Putting the brakes on COVID19:How to safeguard the health and rights of women and girls now amid the pandemic is thetheme of this year’s World Population Day.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
MSDE launches ASEEM portal to help skilled people find livelihood opportunities
- The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) on Friday launched ‘Aatmanirbhar Skilled Employee Employer Mapping’ (ASEEM) portal to help skilled people find sustainable livelihood opportunities.
- The initiative aims to accelerate India’s journey towards recovery by mapping skilled workforce and connecting them with relevant livelihood opportunities in their local communities, especially in the post Covid era.
- The Artificial Intelligence-based ASEEM will provide employers a platform to assess the availability of skilled workforce and formulate their hiring plans. ASEEM refers to all the data, trends and analytics which describe the workforce market and will map demand of skilled workforce to supply.
- ASEEM also available as an APP, is developed and managed by NSDC in collaboration with Bengaluru-based company Betterplace specialising in blue collar employee management.
- Database of labour migrants in Indian states and overseas citizens who returned to India under the Vande Bharat Mission and filled SWADES Skill Card has been integrated with the ASEEM portal.
- Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship: Mahendra Nath Pandey
- Constituency: Uttar Pradesh
Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Facebook host webinar for sensitization of MPs on GOAL project
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs hosted a Webinar along with Facebook India in New Delhi for sensitization of Members of Parliament from Scheduled Tribe (ST) Constituencies on Going Online As Leaders (GOAL) Project.
- Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda, Minister of State for Tribal Affairs Renuka Singh Saruta, many Members of Parliament and senior officers from Tribal Affairs Ministry, MyGov and Facebook India participated in the Webinar.
- Mr Munda stated that Going Online As Leaders (GOAL) is a digital skilling and mentorship initiative that will engage renowned leaders and experts in their domains-from business, education, health, politics, arts and entrepreneurship among others, to personally mentor scheduled tribe youths across India through digital mechanisms.
- He stated, this programme will empower and enable scheduled tribe youths to become change makers of tomorrow. The initiative primarily targets at capacity building of youths living in tribal areas which will inspire, guide and encourage them to boost their confidence level and ignite higher aspirations among them.
- The core areas of mentorship programme are Digital Literacy, life Skills and Leadership and Entrepreneurship. He called upon tribal youths to use their Mobile phone as a tool to achieve their goals in life.
About Ministry of Tribal Affairs:
- Arjun Munda, Cabinet Minister
- Constituency: Khunti
- Renuka Singh Saruta, Minister of State
Shipping Ministry issues draft ‘Aids to Navigation Bill 2020’ for public consultation
- The Shipping Ministry has issued a draft of ‘Aids to Navigation Bill, 2020’ for suggestions from the stakeholders and public. Suggestions and opinions can be sent by 24th of July.
- The draft bill is proposed to replace the Lighthouse Act, 1927 to incorporate the best global practices, technological developments and India’s International obligations in the field of Aids to Marine Navigation.
- Shipping Minister Mansukh Mandaviya stated, this initiative is part of the proactive approach adopted by the Ministry by repealing colonial laws and replacing them with modern and contemporary needs of the maritime industry. He stated, the bill aims to regulate state-of-the-art technologies of marine navigation.
About Ministry of Shipping:
- Mansukh L. Mandaviya, Minister of State (Independent Charge)
- Constituency: Palitana
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
US approves $620 mn missile upgrade package for Taiwan
- The United States has approved a possible $620 million upgrade package for Patriot surface-to-air missiles to Taiwan.
- The United States, like most countries, has no official diplomatic ties with Taiwan but is bound by law to provide the democratic island with the means to defend itself.
- China, which claims the democratically-ruled island as its own territory, routinely denounces U.S. arms sales to Taiwan.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
IRDAI gives its nod to Insurance companies to launch corona Kavach Health Insurance Policies
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India, IRDAI, has allowed 30 general and health insurers to launch short-term ‘Corona Kavach’ health insurance policies. The policy will cover medical expenses occurred due to coronavirus disease.
- The insurance regulator stated that it has designed a standard Covid specific product addressing basic health insurance needs of insuring public with common policy wordings across the industry. The sum insured amount of the policy ranges between fifty thousand rupees to five lakh rupees.
- This policy can be availed by persons between the age of 18 to 65 years. People can avail the Corona Kavach policy for Self, spouse, parents, parents-in-law and dependent children up to 25 years of age.
- The IRDAI has stated that the policy will also provide for any co-morbid condition triggered due to Covid-19 during the period of hospitalization.
- The authority had issued clearance to 30 General and Health Insurance companies to market this Corona Kavach Policy.
- Following the IRDAI order, several insurers have already announced the launch of the ‘Corona Kavach’ policies for three -and-a-half months; six-and-a-half months; and nine-and-a-half months.
- Home care expenses benefit up to a period of 14 days will also be covered in the policy for those seeking treatment within the comfort of their own homes, on the advice of a medical practitioner.
- Founded: 1999
- Headquarters: Hyderabad
- Chairperson: Subhash Chandra Khuntia
HDFC ERGO Launches Corona Kavach Policy
- HDFC ERGO, the country’s third-largest non-life insurance provider in the private sector, announced the launch of ‘Corona Kavach’
- This new indemnity health policy will offer cover against medical expenses incurred due to hospitalization of individuals seeking treatment for COVID-19, on positive diagnosis for the virus in a government authorized diagnostic centre.
- In addition, the policy will also cover expenses incurred on the treatment of co-morbidity along with the treatment for COVID-19.
- The policy will also cover road ambulance expenses, in case the service is opted for the purpose of hospitalization due to COVID-19. Home Care Expenses benefit (up to a period of 14 days) will also be covered in the policy for those seeking treatment within the comfort of their own homes, on the advice of a medical practitioner.
- Additionally, expenses incurred for inpatient care treatment taken under Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy (AYUSH) systems of medicines will also be covered under the policy.
- Policyholders will also be liable for Hospital daily cash, which will be 5 per cent of sum insured per day for a maximum of up to 15 days, during a policy period.
- The Corona Kavach policy by HDFC ERGO will enable customers to experience superior customer service whereby they can reach out to the company through various digital platforms that are easily accessible.
About HDFC ERGO:
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Ritesh Kumar
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Global economy to contract by 5.2 pc in 2020: Report
- The global economy is likely to contract by 2 per cent in 2020 with the coronanvirus still spreading and the economic prospects of countries across the world looking muted, says a report.
- According to Dun and Bradstreet’s Country Risk and Global Outlook Report, that covered 132 countries, the wider global context remains sombre and the global economy will not reach pre-pandemic levels of activity again before 2022.
- D&B is currently forecasting that the global economy will contract by 5.2 per cent in 2020 – the biggest decline since the Second World War and a far stronger contraction than the 1.7 per cent recorded in 2009 during the global financial crisis, the report stated.
- Dun & Bradstreet’s Country Risk Indicator provides a comparative, cross-border assessment of the risk of doing business in a country. The risk indicator is divided into seven bands, ranging from DB1 to DB7, with DB1 being lowest risk. Each band is subdivided into quartiles (a-d), with ‘a’ representing slightly less risk than ‘b’ (and so on). Only the DB7 indicator is not divided into quartiles.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Maharashtra govt, SBI to set up stress fund for stuck slum rehabilitation projects
- The government of Maharashtra along with the State Bank of India is setting up a stress fund to restart stuck slum rehabilitation projects in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) and other urban areas of the state.
- The government will infuse Rs 700 crore to Rs 1,000 crore in this fund aimed at providing financial support to revive such projects.
- SBI will bring in a much larger amount and also be responsible for managing the fund. Slum Rehabilitation Authority will act as a certifying agency.
- Slum Rehabilitation Authority (SRA) is the nodal agency under the Housing Ministry to implement the slum redevelopment schemes.
- It has so far issued approvals to total 1,856 such projects aimed at providing over 5 lakh homes to slum dwellers. Around 540 projects of these have been completed, while 370 are stuck for various reasons including financial difficulties.
- The approvals of files will be scrutinized at 3 levels now compared to 6 levels earlier thereby reducing the timeline by 50% at all stages.
- The series of measures undertaken by SRA has also capped the rental amount structure, during the rehabilitation phase to Rs 12,000 and Rs 10,000 per month in the city and suburb zones respectively. While for the extended suburbs which come under the MMR region the government has capped rental structure to Rs 8000 per month.
- Capital– Mumbai
- Governor– Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- Chief minister– Uddhav Thackeray
- Chairperson: Rajnish Kumar
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: 1 July 1955
Haryana To Get Rs 1,500 Cr Central Aid For Crop Diversification, Ponds Rejuvenation
- Haryana is to get a financial aid of Rs 1,500 crore from the Centre to expand its crop diversification scheme and rejuvenate ponds in the state.
- The state will get Rs 500 crore from the Centre in recognition of the Manohar Lal Khattar-led government’s bid for water conservation through ‘Mera Pani Meri Virasat’ scheme and another sum of Rs 1,000 crore for rejuvenation of ponds and treating water
- The statement was issued after Chief Minister Khattar met Union Minister of Jal Shakti Gajendra Singh Shekhawat in New Delhi.
- Under the ‘Mera Pani Meri Virasat’ scheme, farmers are being encouraged to grow alternative crops other than paddy.
- Though the target area for the cultivation of alternative crops other than paddy was initially fixed to be one lakh hectares under the scheme, it is now being implemented in areas beyond the set target.
- Haryana will get a financial aid of Rs 500 crore from the central government for expansion of crop diversification. The Centre has also lauded Haryana’s efforts aimed at swiftly achieving the target of providing drinking water to all rural households by 2022 under the ambitious ‘Jal Jeevan Mission’.
- The Centre would give an aid of Rs 1,000 crore as a matching grant to Haryana for the restoration of ponds and treatment of water. Notably, a scheme for rejuvenation of 14,000 ponds is being implemented in the state in a phased manner.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Chief minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor: Satyadev Narayan Arya
Asia’s Largest Data Centre With 210MW Overall Capacity Inaugurated Near Mumbai
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray e-inaugurated Asia’s largest certified tier IV data centre near Mumbai. Located in Panvel, the Yotta NM1 data centre building, is the largest of its kind in India, as well as the second largest in the world.
- The private facility is owned by the Hiranandani Group, via its fully owned subsidiary, the Yotta Infrastructure Group. The Yotta data centre is aimed at catering for engineering and real estate businesses. Union minister Ravi Shankar Prasad was also present for the virtual inauguration.
- Located in the 600-acre Hiranandani Fortune City in Panvel, the Yotta NM1 is the first of five data centre buildings coming up at the Integrated Yotta Data Center Park, the Hiranandani Group stated in a statement. Once fully built, the group says that the Park will have an overall capacity of 30,000 racks and 210MW power.
- Yotta NM1 data centre building, the group stated that it sprawls across 8.2 lakh sq. ft, and features 7,200 racks, 50MW power capacity and four redundant self-owned fiber paths connecting the Centre to national highways.
- According to the Hiranandani Group, Yotta NM1 itself offers a highly scalable data centre infrastructure, capable of hosting global cloud, content and OTT operators, besides mission-critical applications of enterprises and governments.
- Capitals : Mumbai
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Flipkart signs MoU with Karnataka govt to Promote local art, craft and handlooms
- Homegrown e-commerce marketplace Flipkart has signed an MoU with Karnataka MSME and Mines department to promote the states arts, crafts and handloom sectors by bringing them on to e-commerce and providing market access.
- The partnership under the Flipkart Samarth programme will enable local artisans, weavers and craftsmen of Karnataka to showcase their hallmark products to a pan-India customer base.
- Both the Government of Karnataka and the Flipkart Group will focus on creating avenues to increase business and trade inclusion opportunities for these underserved segments of the society, thereby adding further thrust to Made in India efforts.
- The partnership will see renowned Karnataka based brands- Cauvery – Karnataka Handicrafts Development Corporation and Priyadarshini Handlooms, part of Karnataka Handlooms Development Corporation joining the Flipkart Samarth programme.
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO)– Kalyan Krishnamurthy
- Head Office– Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Chief Minister– B. S. Yediyurappa
- Governor– Vajubhai Rudabhai Vala
- Capital– Bengaluru
T-Hub partners with MeitY, Digital India for hardware start-ups
- T-Hub, a State government initiative for startups announced its partnership with the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and Digital India for hardware and IoT startups.
- T-Hub will lead Digital India’s Scale Up program for hardware and IoT startups across India.
- MeitY and Digital India’s aim is to provide scale up opportunities to the startups and make them ready in terms of product, investment and new market access.
- MeitY and Digital India have partnered with T-Hub based on its rich and successful experience of running various programs for key stakeholders, such as startups, corporates, government, investors and ecosystem enablers.
- This is to take the ecosystem to the next level so innovative startups can scale- up strategically. T-Hub brings its matured acceleration programme with access to customers, investors and specialized mentors.
About Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY)
- Cabinet Minister: Ravi Shankar Prasad
- Constituency: Patna, Bihar
- CEO– Ravi Narayan
- Headquarters– Hyderabad, Telangana
ADB, IEA Renew Pact To Collaborate On Energy Sector Sustainability And Resilience
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has renewed a memorandum of understanding with the International Energy Agency (IEA) to scale up collaboration and advance progress on sustainability with an increased focus on energy sector resilience in Asia and the Pacific.
- The energy sector is a key driver of growth and human development, especially during recovery from the impacts of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, stated ADB President Masatsugu Asakawa.
- Under the three-year agreement, the two organisations will share knowledge and best practice in energy sector data and analysis, on-the-ground engagement, capacity building, technology and innovation among other areas.
- This will help to overcome critical knowledge and experience gaps blocking the development of sustainable energy systems in ADB’s developing member countries and enhance IEA’s data collection and capacity building efforts in Asia and the Pacific.
- ADB first signed a three-year MoU with IEA in March 2017 to facilitate knowledge and analytical work to advance clean energy development in ADB’s developing member countries. As part of this, ADB worked with IEA to study power system flexibility in India to integrate more solar and wind energy in the grids.
- The renewal agreement was signed on the occasion of IEA’s Clean Energy Transitions Summit where Asakawa gave a speech at the plenary session to an audience of over 50 energy ministers and energy sector leaders.
- Last month, IEA Executive Director Fatih Birol delivered the keynote address at ADB’s 15th Asia Clean Energy Forum IEA is a knowledge partner of ADB’s leading annual energy forum.
About Asian Development Bank:
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
About International Energy Agency:
- Secretariat: Paris, France
- Executive Director: Fatih Birol
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Baushuan Ger is Taiwan’s new ambassador to India
- Taiwan has named senior diplomat Baushuan Ger as its new representative to India while his predecessor Tien Chung-kwang has been promoted to the post of deputy foreign minister.
- Tien, who served as Taiwan’s representative to India for more than seven years.
- Baushuan Ger is currently director general of the department of East Asian and Pacific Affairs in Taiwan’s foreign ministry and has served in the US and the UK.
- Capital: Taipei
- Currency: New Taiwan dollar
- President: Tsai Ing-wen
Gyanendro Ningombam named as Officiating President of Hockey India
- Hockey India Executive Board held an Emergent Executive Board meeting naming Manipur’s Gyanendro Ningombam as the Officiating President of Hockey India.
- This was following the resignation letter of Mohd Mushtaque Ahmad received by Hockey India on 7 July 2020 due to his personal and family commitments.
- Gyanendro Ningombam has served as the Editor of Meeyam, an evening daily newspaper in Manipur.
About Hockey India
- Headquarters– New Delhi, India
- Secretary General– Rajinder Singh
Indian-American to be acting head of US agriculture research organisation
- Prominent Indian-American scientist Dr Parag Chitnis has been appointed as the Acting Director of the prestigious National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), which drives all federally funded agricultural research in the US.
- Chitnis was named Associate Director for Programmes earlier this year and leads implementation of NIFA’s approximately $1.7 billion research projects.
- Dr Chitnis brings more than 31 years of scientific research and experience to the Director’s office, US Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue stated while announcing the name of Chitnis as NIFA’s Acting Director.
- Chitnis replaces Dr Scott Angle who accepted a position as Vice President of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Florida in Gainesville.
- Chitnis did his BSc in botany/plant breeding from the Konkan Agricultural University in Maharashtra and an MSc in genetics/biochemistry from New Delhi-based Indian Agricultural Research Institute. He did his PhD in biology from the University of California in Los Angeles.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONORS
Indian battalion wins UNIFIL environment award
- An Indian battalion stationed with the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) has won an environment award for a project that aims to decrease waste generation, reuse plastic, build green houses and compost pits.
- The Mission’s Sector West Headquarters and Irish-Polish Battalion (IRISHPOLBATT) won the award for 2nd place. The Sector West Infrastructure Management Centre (IMC) project aimed at turning food waste into compost and donating to the host communities.
- The IRISHPOLBATT project supported host communities by reducing environmental hazards within their area of responsibility.
- Other UNIFIL units that received awards and recognitions included French-led Force Commander’s Reserve, Indonesian Battalion, Republic of Korea Battalion and Italian Battalion.
- UNIFIL launched the “Annual Environment Awards” in December last year to recognise environmental achievements within the Mission’s area of operations.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
Prakash Javadekar Represents India at Fourth virtual Ministerial on Climate Action
- Union Environment Minister, Prakash Javadekar represented India at the fourth edition of the virtual Ministerial on Climate Action and stated, India has taken very significant steps for combating climate change and will continue its efforts in the future also.
- Javadekar called upon developed country parties, once again, to do their part as envisaged under UNFCCC and its Paris Agreement, for extending financial and technological support to developing countries.
- The promise of USD 1 trillion by 2020 has not been fulfilled so far, and I hope that in the remaining 5 months of 2020, the promised amount is mobilized and delivered, for further strengthening climate actions in developing countries,” stressed the Environment Minister.
- The fourth edition of the virtual Ministerial on Climate Action witnessed countries exchanging views on how countries are aligning economic recovery plans with the Paris Agreement and the critical enabling conditions to ensure continued climate action.
- The meeting was co-chaired by European Union, China and Canada to advance discussions on the full implementation of the Paris Agreement under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and to demonstrate continued political commitment to global climate action.
- Highlighting India’s efforts, the Environment Minister stated that India has achieved a reduction of 21 per cent in emission intensity of its GDP between 2005 and 2014, thereby achieving its pre-2020 voluntary target.
- Further, India’s renewable energy installed capacity has increased by 226 per cent in the last 5 years and stands more than 87 Gigawatt.
- The share of non-fossil sources in installed capacity of electricity generation increased from 30.5 per cent in March 2015 to 37.7 per cent in May 2020 and our Prime Minister has further announced the aspirational target of increasing our renewable energy capacity to 450 GW., pointed Javadekar.
- The fourth edition of the meeting was attended by Ministers and representatives of about 30 countries and was held virtually for the first time in view of the ongoing pandemic. The purpose was to ensure that progress is made on climate action
About Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change:
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Prakash Javadekar (Minister)
- Babul Supriyo (Minister of State)
Mukesh Ambani now is the fifth richest man in the world: Hurun
- Billionaire Mukesh Ambani has moved three notches up to become the fifth richest man in the world, a position he shares with Tesla founder Elon Musk and Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.
- Ambani’s rise from the eighth position last month was buoyant on a series of fund-raising by Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) for its wholly-owned subsidiary Jio Platforms.
- The RIL Chairman and Managing Director’s networth rose to $70 billion, much higher than that of Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett ($76 billion) and Google co-founder Sergey Brin ($69 billion), according to data collated by Hurun Research.
- Ambani’s networth, four months into the Covid-19 pandemic stood at $66 billion.
- On June 23, Ambani was the eighth richest man in the world, along with Google co-founder Sergey Brin, while the other Indian in the global rich list was ‘Vaccine King’ Cyrus Poonawalla at 57th position.
- According to Hurun Research, Mukesh Ambani, riding the digital wave, was expected to emerge as one of the five richest people in the world in the next two or three years.
- Since April 22, 2020, Jio Platforms (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ambani-controlled Reliance Industries Ltd) had raised a total of Rs 117,588.45 crore from global investors including Facebook, Silver Lake, Vista Equity Partners, General Atlantic, KKR, Mubadala, ADIA, TPG, L Catterton and Intel Capital.
- Amazon founder Jeff Bezos with a networth of $200 billion still tops the chart, followed by Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates ($110 billion), while French multi-national luxury goods conglomerate Louis Vuitton SE group head Bernard Arnault is third (($94 billion).
- Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg ($89 billion) in fourth position is the other billionaire in the list.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
IISc Designs Eye Gaze-Controlled Robotic Arm For Speech, Motor Impaired
- An Indian Institute of Science (IISc) research team has designed a robotic arm that can be manipulated by eye movement using a computer interface, to help people with Severe Speech and Motor Impairment (SSMI).
- This interface is non-invasive since it is through a webcam and a computer, unlike other eye gaze-tracking devices that use head-mounted systems.
- Eye gaze-controlled computer interfaces can help them perform various tasks on par with their non-disabled peers.
- One of the main applications of this eye gaze-controlled robotic arm is rehabilitation of young adults with SSMI, through tasks such as fabric printing.
- They usually require assistance in doing such tasks, as they can only do a small part of it by themselves.
- Using the robotic arm designed by the researchers, people with SSMI can use their eye gaze to perform mechanical tasks that can help them work on handicrafts independently
- The students with SSMI are able to use the robotic manipulator almost as well as their non-disabled counterparts, and the results were the same during repeated trials.
- This technology can also be used by younger individuals with SSMI, to move toys like cars.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Stokes becomes 2nd-fastest all-rounder to score 4000 runs, take 150 wickets
- England’s stand-in skipper Ben Stokes became the second-fastest all-rounder to reach the Test double of 4000 runs and 150 wickets.
- He achieved the feat during the third day of the first Test match between England and West Indies at the Ageas Bowl.
- With the dismissal of Alzarri Joseph, Stokes joined former England all-rounder Ian Botham and four other greats of the game in the club of 4000 Test runs and 150-plus wickets.
- He finished with the figures of 4-49 in his 14 overs including five maiden overs.
- The 29-year-old all-rounder reached the milestone in 64 games. Only former West Indies great Gary Sobers is ahead of him, who achieved the feat in 63 Tests.
- Apart from Sobers and Stokes, former South African cricketer Jacques Kallis, India’s Kapil Dev and ex-New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori are also on the list.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
England 1966 World Cup hero Jack Charlton dies at 85
- Jack Charlton, England’s football World Cup hero and Leeds United legend, has passed away at the age of 85.
- He had been suffering from a long-term illness. Older brother of Bobby Charlton, he was part of England’s World Cup-winning team of 1966.
- He played for Leeds United for 23 years and made a record 773 appearances.
- Charlton, who won 35 international caps, was part of the England side that won the World Cup in 1966 with a 4-2 victory over West Germany in the final.
- The 6ft 3in defender was famously pictured sinking to his knees at the final whistle before embracing his younger brother, Bobby.
DAILY CA 10th JUL
- Ministry of Culture to reprint 108 volumes of Mongolian Kanjur under NMM
- 18th meeting of high-level Group of Ministers on COVID-19 held in New Delhi
- PM Modi inaugurates Asia’s largest solar energy project in MP’s Rewa
- WHO to set up independent panel to review handling of COVID-19 pandemic
- Bangladesh govt launches ‘Digital Haat’ for sacrificial animals before Eid-Ul-Azha
- BSE partners with LIC Mutual Fund for BSE eKYC services
- Karur Vysya Bank partners with Tata Motors to offer car loans at attractive terms
- IRDAI forms panel on ‘Indian Pandemic Risk Pool’
- SEBI rejigs advisory committee on mutual funds
- NSE launches new gold standard for delivery
- Mastercard to invest Rs.250 cr to help Indian SMEs amid COVID-19 crisis
- Rajasthan launches campaign to ensure purity of milk, dairy products
- Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik launches eight web solutions for public services under 5T initiatives
- Himachal Pradesh: Nadaun Police Station ranked as one of best Police Stations of India
- Tripura: Wildlife researchers rediscover ‘Ypthima watsoni’ butterfly after 61 years
- Raksha Mantri inaugurates six new bridges in Jammu and Kashmir
- Tamil Nadu tops market borrowings among States so far, in 2020-21
- EESL signs pact with Noida Authority to install EV charging stations
- Crisil appoints Shyamala Gopinath as Additional Director
- Priyanka Chopra Chosen Ambassador for Toronto International Film Festival
- Vectus Group signs star couple Saif and Kareena as brand ambassadors
- Rahul Johri moves on as BCCI CEO
- Sachin Awasthi adds another feather to his cap Honored as the Top Publicist in Global Humanitarian Award 2020 in London
- India-EU summit to be held through video conference on July 15
- India ranks eighth for cancer preparedness among 10 Asia-Pacific countries: EIU
- Israeli scientists use waste in battle against virus
- IITH, NVIDIA to establish joint AI research centre
- Stephen King’s new book, If It Bleeds, to be out in July
- Top-ranked squash player Raneem El Welily ends her career
- Asia Cup Cricket tournament postponed till June 2021
- Ivory Coast’s Prime Minister Amadou Gon Coulibaly passes away
DAILY CA 11th JUL
- World Population Day- 11th july
- MSDE launches ASEEM portal to help skilled people find livelihood opportunities
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Facebook host webinar for sensitization of MPs on GOAL project
- Shipping Ministry issues draft ‘Aids to Navigation Bill 2020’ for public consultation
- US approves $620 mn missile upgrade package for Taiwan
- IRDAI gives its nod to Insurance companies to launch corona Kavach Health Insurance Policies
- HDFC ERGO Launches Corona Kavach Policy
- Global economy to contract by 5.2 pc in 2020: Report
- Maharashtra govt, SBI to set up stress fund for stuck slum rehabilitation projects
- Haryana To Get Rs 1,500 Cr Central Aid For Crop Diversification, Ponds Rejuvenation
- Asia’s Largest Data Centre With 210MW Overall Capacity Inaugurated Near Mumbai
- Flipkart signs MoU with Karnataka govt to Promote local art, craft and handlooms
- T-Hub partners with MeitY, Digital India for hardware start-ups
- ADB, IEA Renew Pact To Collaborate On Energy Sector Sustainability And Resilience
- Baushuan Ger is Taiwan’s new ambassador to India
- Gyanendro Ningombam named as Officiating President of Hockey India
- Indian-American to be acting head of US agriculture research organisation
- Indian battalion wins UNIFIL environment award
- Prakash Javadekar Represents India at Fourth virtual Ministerial on Climate Action
- Mukesh Ambani now is the fifth richest man in the world: Hurun
- IISc Designs Eye Gaze-Controlled Robotic Arm For Speech, Motor Impaired
- Stokes becomes 2nd-fastest all-rounder to score 4000 runs, take 150 wickets
- England 1966 World Cup hero Jack Charlton dies at 85