Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
National Simplicity Day
- National Simplicity Day is observed annually on 12 July to honour Henry David Thoreau who was an author, philosopher, historian, tax resister, abolitionist, development critic, surveyor, and leading transcendentalist.
- Basically, he was an advocate for living a life of simplicity.
- United Nationshas declared July 12, which is Malala Yousafzai’s birthday, as Malala Day in honour of the young activist.
- She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2014. The-then 17-year-old became the youngest recipient of the award.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
NITI Aayog Atal Innovation Mission Launches App Development Module For School Students
- The Atal Innovation Mission of Centre’s think-tank, NITI Aayog, has launched a free online app development course for school students across the country.
- Named, ‘ATL App Development Module’, the online course intends to make mobile application-developers of school students under Atal Tinkering Lab initiative of AIM.
- The online course will comprise six project-based learning modules and online mentoring sessions.
- The course has been jointly developed by NITI Aayog’s AIM and Indian startup,
About NITI Aayog
- Formed: 1 January 2015
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairperson: Narendra Modi
NTPC’s Singrauli Unit 1 emerges top-performing plant in Q1
- National Thermal Power Corporation, NTPC’s Singrauli Unit 1 has emerged as the top-performing unit in the country in the first quarter of the financial year, as per the data released by Central Electricity Authority. NTPC, Singrauli is the oldest Unit and a flagship power station of NTPC Limited. The first unit of the station started generating on 13th February, 1982 and continues to serve the country with exceptional performance.
- NTPC, Singrauli has an installed capacity of 2,000 Mega Watt with five units of 200 Mega Watt each and two units of 500 Mega Watt each. Three units of 200 Mega Watt have achieved Plant Load Factor PLF of 101.96 per cent, 101.85 per cent and 100.35 per cent in First Quarter of Financial Year 20-21 among the Coal-fired Units, in the country.
- With a total installed capacity of 62 thousand 110 Mega Watt, NTPC Group has 70 Power stations comprising of 24 Coal, seven combined cycle Gas or Liquid Fuel, one Hydro, 13 Renewables along with 25 Subsidiary and Joint Venture Power Stations.
NITI Aayog presents India’s second Voluntary National Review at UN, titled ‘Decade of Action: Taking SDGs From Global to Local’
- NITI Aayog presented India’s second Voluntary National Review (VNR) at United Nations High-level Political Forum (HLPF) on Sustainable Development, 2020.
- The HLPF is the foremost international platform for follow-up and review of progress on the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Dr Rajiv Kumar, Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog, presented the VNR.
- The India VNR 2020 report titled Decade of Action: Taking SDGs from Global to Local was released by Dr Rajiv Kumar, Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog, Dr V.K Paul, Member, NITI Aayog, Amitabh Kant, CEO, NITI Aayog, and Sanyukta Samaddar, Adviser (SDGs), NITI Aayog.
- At the HLPF this year, which is being hosted virtually in the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic, 47 Member States are set to present their VNRs between 10th-16th July 2020.
- The HLPF meets annually in July for eight days under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the UN. The VNRs presented by Member States at the HLPF are a critical component of the review of progress and implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs. The reviews are voluntary and state-led and are aimed at facilitating the sharing of experiences, including successes, challenges and lessons learned.
- The process of preparation of a country’s VNR provides a platform for partnerships, including through the participation of various relevant stakeholders. NITI Aayog prepared and presented India’s first VNR in 2017.
- India presented its VNR along with other second time presenters like Bangladesh, Georgia, Kenya, Morocco, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria and Uganda. The presentation also included a short film which encapsulated the processual aspects of the second VNR and captured some of India’s major progress areas on the SDGs.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
HSBC India rolls out digital payment products for retail customers
- HSBC India announced the launch of a comprehensive range of digital payment products for its retail customers.
- HSBC is now part of e-NACH (Electronic National Automated Clearing House), which will allow its customers to easily automate recurring payments with standing instructions for specific amounts, date and time of payment, without having to submit paper mandates, the lender stated.
- It has also launched real-time bill payments powered by Bharat Bill Payments system (BBPS) on its net banking and mobile application.
- The bank’s customers can now use their internet banking to pay directly at over 2 lakh merchant websites.
About HSBC India :
- CEO: Surendra Rosha
- Headquarters: Mumbai
Visa partners with Federal Bank for rolling out Visa Secure for e-commerce
- Visa, a global leader in payments technology, has entered into a partnership with Federal Bank to roll out Visa Secure to the bank’s cardholders.
- Visa Secure is a global authentication program that uses the latest standards of the EMV 3DS (3D Secure) protocol. Besides providing additional layers of authentication for issuers and merchants to combat online frauds, the upgraded technology provides a quicker and frictionless checkout experience to consumers.
- Merchants and issuers have started deployment of Visa Secure globally. Visa will continue to work with clients and partners in India to support EMV 3DS-based solutions, with a focus on delivering better payment experience, the payments technology company stated.
- Visa Secure enables smoother and more consistent user experiences across multiple payment channels, including mobile, web, in-app, and connected devices. It also allows merchants to better integrate the authentication process into the shopping experience, while providing cardholders with a fast, simple, secure and convenient authentication. The enhanced Visa Secure platform is enriched with additional transaction attributes that makes authentication seamless.
- CEO: Alfred F Kelly Jr
- Headquarters: San Francisco, California, United States
About Federal Bank
- Headquarters: Aluva
- CEO: Shyam Srinivasan
Income Tax Department launches tool for Banks to ascertain TDS applicability rates on cash withdrawals
- The Income Tax Department has facilitated a new functionality for Banks and Post offices through which they can ascertain the TDS applicability rates on cash withdrawals.
- Under it, the Banks and Post Offices can ascertain the TDS applicability rates on cash withdrawals of above 20 lakh rupees in case of a non-filer of the income-tax return and that of above one crore rupees in case of a filer of the income-tax return. Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) stated, so far, more than 53 thousand verification requests have been executed successfully on this facility.
- Explaining the details of this facility, CBDT stated that now the Bank and Post Office has to only enter the PAN of the person who is withdrawing cash for ascertaining the applicable rate of TDS. On entering PAN, a message will be instantly displayed on the departmental utility.
- It stated, TDS is deductible at the rate of 2 per cent if cash withdrawal exceeds one crore rupees if the person withdrawing cash is a filer of the income-tax return. It stated, TDS is deductible at the rate 2 per cent if cash withdrawal exceeds 20 lakh rupees and at the rate of 5 per cent if it exceeds one crore rupees in case the person is a non-filer of the income-tax return.
- CBDT stated that the data on cash withdrawal indicated that huge amount of cash is being withdrawn by the persons who have never filed income-tax returns. To ensure filing of return by these persons and to keep track on cash withdrawals by the non-filers, and to curb black money, the Finance Act, 2020 further amended Income-tax Act from 1st of this month to lower threshold of cash withdrawal to 20 lakh rupees for the applicability of this TDS for the non-filers. It also mandated TDS at the higher rate of 5 per cent on cash withdrawal exceeding one crore rupees by the non-filers.
About Income Tax Department:
- HQ: Delhi
- Pramod Chandra Modi, IRS :Chairman, Central Board of Direct Taxes
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Signature Global to invest Rs 225 cr in affordable housing project in Gurugram
- Realty firm Signature Global will invest Rs 225 crore over the next four years to develop a new affordable housing project in Gurugram, Haryana.
- The project, comprising 852 units, will be developed under the Haryana government’s affordable housing policy.
- In the last five years, the company has launched around 20 affordable housing projects in Gurugram, Sohna and Karnal (Haryana).
- It has also launched commercial projects, including a shopping mall, in Vaishali and Ghaziabad (Uttar Pradesh), comprising over 7.5 lakh square feet area.
- The government is promoting affordable housing in a big way by charging only 1 per cent GST and interest subvention under the Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS).
BSE, IIT Alumni Council ink pact for listing of start-ups
- The BSE has signed a memorandum of understanding with IIT Alumni Council to encourage listing of start-ups and develop ‘high investor depth’ in its start-ups platform.
- The alliance will ensure entity transparency, improvement in governance, market discovery of share price, provide liquidity for private equity investors and enable retail participation.
- IIT Alumni Council is the largest global body of alumni, students and faculty across all the 23 IITs with over 100 city chapters globally.
- Ravi Sharma, President, IIT Alumni Council, stated to enhance the efficiency of the listing process and increase access to investors pool for start-ups, the Council proposes to use artificial intelligence and other automation tools to reduce time, cost and efforts involved in the listing process.
- Further, associated and volunteer managed funds will be encouraged to underwrite, act as anchor investors and market makers for the IPOs, he added.
- The entry of big ticket investors like Mega Fund into the start-up listing space will lead to a paradigm change in the start-up ecosystem and its ability to access capital, stated Sharma.
- The alliance will help reduce listing time, complexity and cost for SMEs and start-ups by streamlining, automating and standardising the documentation processes. Besides, Category-I merchant banks will be empanelled to help automate the listing process to reduce time and cost of listing on the start-up platform of the exchange.
- Location: Mumbai, India
- Chairman: Just. Vikramajit Sen;
Indian GDP to contract 7.5 per cent if COVID vaccine is delayed, 4 per cent in base case: Report
- A longer wait for a vaccine against COVID-19 virus may lead to a contraction of up to 5 per cent in the Indian GDP in FY21, a foreign brokerage stated.
- Economists at Bank of America Securities also revised down their base case estimates on the real GDP within a week, and now expect it to contract by 4 per cent because of a drop in economic activity.
- It can be noted that multiple efforts to find a vaccine against the dreaded virus are on both globally as well domestically, but no timelines have been announced yet.
- Many analysts are expecting the Indian economy to contract by 5 per cent in FY21 as a result of the nationwide lockdowns, with some also estimating a contraction of up to 7.2 per cent in the GDP.
- India’s real GDP will likely contract by 7.5 per cent if the global economy has to wait for a vaccine discovery for a year, the BofA analysts stated, calling this as the “bear case”.
- In response, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will cut rates by another 2 percentage points in FY21, they stated.
- Citing movement on a proprietary indicator on economic activity, it said the indicator fell 20.6 per cent in May after the 29.7 per cent fall in April.
- Industrial production contracted by 34.7 per cent in May, atop April’s 57.6 per cent, it said, estimating the Q1 GDP to contract to 18 per cent.
- As a result, we now expect FY21 GDP to contract by another 1 per cent to 4 per cent, they said. The RBI is estimated to cut rates by 0.75 per cent more in the current fiscal as a base case, the Centre’s fiscal deficit will come at 6.85 per cent of GDP as against the budgeted 3.5 per cent and the overall fiscal deficit will be at 10.7 per cent, it stated.
Qualcomm picks 0.15 per cent stake in Jio for Rs 730 crore
- Qualcomm Ventures has picked up 0.15 per cent stake in Jio Platforms for Rs 730 crore, Reliance Industries stated. Qualcomm is the 12th investor in Jio Platforms in as many weeks.
- Qualcomm Ventures, the investment arm of Qualcomm Incorporated, an industry leader in wireless technologies, has committed to invest up to Rs 730 crore in Jio Platforms at an equity value of Rs 4.91 lakh crore and an enterprise value of Rs 5.16 lakh crore.
- “Qualcomm Ventures’ investment will translate into 0.15 per cent equity stake in Jio Platforms on a fully diluted basis,” the company stated.
About Qualcomm Ventures:
- Headquarters location: San Diego, California, United States
- James Shen: Managing director
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
MP govt begins ‘Mera Ghar Mera Vidyalaya’ scheme to facilitate students
- The Madhya Pradesh government has started Mera Ghar Mera Vidyalaya Scheme.
- Under the Mera Ghar-Mera Vidyalaya Scheme, children can now sit for classes in their homes. The scheme aims to provide students with a school-like atmosphere at home. After the launch of the scheme, several teachers and staffers of the schools were seen delivering books and study material to the children.
- Utensils would play the role of the school bell signalling the start and end of the classes. The children have been told to study from 10 am to 1 am and parents have been asked to not give them any household chores during that time. Between 4pm to 5 pm is dedicated for sports, while from 7pm to 8 pm, they have to listen to moral stories.
About Madhya Pradesh
- Chief minister: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- Capital: Bhopal
- Governor: Lalji Tandon
MP govt to run ‘Roko -Toko’ campaign for those who do not wear masks
- In Madhya Pradesh, the government will now run a Roko -Toko (रोको टोको) means stop and campaign for those who do not wear masks. As the Use of masks is mandatory in all public places in the state. Now selected voluntary organizations will provide masks to the people who do not wear masks in public places and will charge an amount of Rs 20 per mask from the concerned.
- In the guidelines issued by the state government, it has been stated that the collector will select voluntary organizations in the district for this work. The number of persons available ,credibility and efficiency of the organization will be taken into consideration while making the selection. Collectors will make available suitable places to these organizations for the distribution of masks. The selected organizations will be provided 100 masks created under ‘Jeevan Shakti Yojana’ on credit.
- On sale of the mask, the organizations will pay the concerned urban body at the rate of Rs 11 per mask. Meanwhile, the COVID-19 case count in Madhya Pradesh climbed to 17 thousand 632 with addition of 431 new cases in the last 24 hours. The death toll in the state has risen to 653. A total of 197 persons were discharged from hospitals yesterday taking the number of the recovered cases to 12 thousand 876.
Chhattisgarh organises India’s first e-Lok Adalat
- Amid the restricted judicial functioning owing to Covid-19 outbreak, an e-Lok Adalat is being held in Chhattisgarh to ensure the administration of justice continues where the virtual hearings are to be conducted through video conferencing.
- The e-Lok Adalat intended to swiftly settle pendent cases is cited as the first such attempt in the country.
- Over 3 thousand cases will be heard in more than 200 benches of various districts across the state including the high court in Bilaspur. There will be live streaming of an e-Lok Adalat to be inaugurated by the high court Chief Justice P R Ramchandra Menon”, stated Justice Prashant Kumar Mishra, executive chairman of the Chhattisgarh State Legal Services Authority
- In the wake of the financial crisis faced by the people and the lawyers owing to the coronavirus pandemic, the high court and Chhattisgarh State Legal Services Authority decided to organise e-Lok Adalat for resolving the pending cases.
- Cases related to money like settlements, accident claims, bouncing of cheques besides family disputes among others are usually resolved by Lok Adalat, Justice Mishra said.
- In case the parties and lawyers face difficulty in connecting through video-conferencing, they can present their cases even through WhatsApp video call, he stated and further added that if the first time experiment to hold e-lok Adalat emerges successful, it will be continued further.
- Capitals: Bilaspur, Raipur
- Chief minister: Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor: Anusuiya Uikey
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Rudrendra Tandon is India’s next envoy to Afghanistan, Vikram Doraiswami to move to Dhaka
- The government has decided to appoint Rudrendra Tandon as the new envoy to Afghanistan and Vikram Doraiswami as high commissioner to
- Tandon is currently the Indian envoy to ASEAN at Jakarta. He replaces Vinay Kumar who has performed admirably with the withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan after striking a deal with Taliban insurgents.
- Vikram Doraiswami, who is the Additional Secretary incharge of International Organisations and Summits at the foreign ministry, heads to bangladesh capital Dhaka, one of the closest allies of New Delhi.
- Doraiswami replaces Riva Ganguly Das, who is likely to take over as Secretary East at the external affairs ministry.
- Capital: Kabul
- Currency: Afghan afghani
- President: Ashraf Ghani
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Bangladeshi taka
- Prime Minister: Sheikh Hasina
Singapore PM Lee Hsien Loong returns to power
- Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has secured his ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) winning 83 of the 93 contested parliamentary seats in the general election held amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
- He held the office of Prime Minister since 2004 and winning the 2020 General Election retains his position.
- President- Halimah Yacob
- Prime Minister– Lee Hsien Loong
- Capital– Singapore
- Currency– Singapore Dollar
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONORS
Chhattisgarh’s CM Darpan Portal and mobile app get award by IT institution
- The Mukhyamantri Darpan and mobile App which contains the details of all the flagship schemes of the Chhattisgarh government including the ambitious ‘Suraji Gaon Yojna’ has been awarded “Elites Excellence Awards-2020” at the national level.
- The state of Chhattisgarh has been awarded this honour by the country’s prestigious IT institution Elites Technomedia under the ‘Digital India initiative’.
- This virtual conference was inaugurated by Union Minister Nitin Gadkari in New Delhi and Chhattisgarh was given an e-certificate on this occasion.
- Both the website and the mobile application have been developed by Chhattisgarh Infotech Promotion Society (CHiPS).
- The purpose of this website and mobile app is to directly monitor the flagship schemes of the Chhattisgarh government from the Chief Minister’s Secretariat and provide real-time information to the common citizens.
Arunachal Pradesh filmmaker Kezang D Thongdok bags Dada Saheb Phalke Award for documentary on honey hunting
- Kezang D Thongdok, an independent filmmaker, not only documented the process of honey hunting but has also bagged the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Award 2020 for the same.
- Thongdok’s short documentary ‘Chi Lupo’ artfully sketches the custom of honey hunting practised in the Shertukpen community wherein ‘Chi’ means honey and ‘Lupo’ means hunters.
- Presently, Thongdok is working on his new project, a documentary film titled ‘Khiksaba’, an unexplored festival of Shertukpen tribe.
India’s 2018 Tiger Census sets Guinness World Record for being largest camera trapping wildlife survey
- The All India Tiger Estimation 2018, released last year, has entered the Guinness World Record for being the world’s largest camera trap wildlife survey.
- The latest results of 2018 had shown that India now has an estimated 2,967 tigers out of which 2461 individual tigers have been photo captured, a whopping 83 per cent of the tiger population, highlighting the comprehensive nature of the survey.
- The quadrennial tiger estimation is steered by the National Tiger Conservation Authority with technical backstopping from the Wildlife Institute of India and implemented by State Forest Departments and partners.
- Camera traps (outdoor photographic devices fitted with motion sensors that start recording when an animal passes by) were placed in 26,838 locations across 141 different sites and surveyed an effective area of 121,337 square kilometres (46,848 square miles).
EPS honoured with Paul Harris Fellow recognition
- The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International having its headquarters at Chicago, has honoured Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami with Paul Harris Fellow recognition.
- The Paul Harris Fellow recognition is accorded to honour people who render efficient services in providing drinking water, sanitation, prevention of diseases, environment, world peace etc., to its people.
- Capital– Chennai
- Governor– Banwarilal Purohit
NTPC Limited wins prestigious CII-ITC Sustainability Award 2019
- National Thermal Power Corporation, NTPC Limited, a Central PSU under Ministry of Power has won the prestigious CII-ITC Sustainability Award 2019, under Outstanding Accomplishment in Corporate Excellence Category.
- The company has also received Commendation for Significant Achievement in the category of CSR. Power Ministry stated, NTPC always strives for sustainable development of its communities around the power stations. CII-ITC Sustainability Awards recognize and reward excellence in sustainability practices. It is considered to be the most credible platform for sustainability recognition in the country.
- NTPCs flagship CSR program Girl Empowerment Mission, a four weeks residential program has been institutionalized in the vicinity of its power stations for the benefit of school going girls to support in their overall development. NTPC has also initiated Contractors’ Labour Information Management System through which payment to contract labourers is paid on the last day of the month at project sites.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Gurdeep Singh (Chairman & MD)
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Elon Musk is the ‘best’ paid CEO, Apple CEO Tim Cook at 2nd spot
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk grabbed the top spot in the list of highest paid CEOs in US in 2019 while Apple CEO Tim Cook ranked second in the list created by Bloomberg.
- As per the Bloomberg Pay Index, Musk made $595.3 million in 2019 making him the highest paid CEO. Meanwhile, Tim Cook made $133.7 million in 2019 from Apple.
- While Alphabet chief Sundar Pichai took the eighth spot with $86.2 million in 2019, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella was at the ninth spot with a total compensation of $77.3 million.
- The highest paid women CEOs and executives in 2019 starts with Advanced Micro Devices CEO Lisa Su at the 19th spot with a total compensation of $55.8 million, followed by Safra Catz of Oracle at the 36th position with $43.4 million.
India 2nd- largest source of FDI for Britain
- India invested in 120 projects and created 5,429 new jobs in the UK to become the second-largest source of foreign direct investment (FDI) after the US in 2019, according to new UK government figures released.
- The Department for International Trade (DIT) inward investment statistics for 2019-2020 found India moving up from its previous third-largest spot, representing an overall 4% FDI increase for the UK on 2018-2019 with 1,852 new inward investment projects in the 2019/2020 financial year.
- The US remains the number one source of FDI for the UK followed by India, Germany, France and China and Hong Kong. Australia and New Zealand were responsible for 72 projects and the Nordic and Baltic region 134
- A foreign direct investment (FDI) is an investment made by a firm or individual in one country into business interests located in another country. Generally, FDI takes place when an investor establishes foreign business operations or acquires foreign business assets in a foreign company.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Ruskin Bond’s ‘A Song of India’, illustrated book out on July 20
- A new book by beloved writer Ruskin Bond – “A Song of India”, scheduled to hit the stands on July 20, will mark the 70th year of Bond’s literary career.
- Published by Puffin Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House India .
- In “A Song of India”, the fourth instalment in his memoir series after “Looking for the Rainbow” (2017), “Till the Clouds Roll By” (2017) and “Coming Round the Mountain” (2019).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
IIT-Delhi develops device to disinfect N-95 masks in 90 minutes
- The IIT-Delhi has developed an ozone-based decontamination device to reduce bio-medical waste and enable safe re-use of N-95 face masks.
- The device, called Chakr DeCoV, will help re-use a mask up to 10 times. It was launched via a video-conference by Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Ashwini Kumar Choubey.
- The mechanism was developed by an IIT start-up — Chakra Innovation — which has been approved by the Indian Medical Council of Research-National Institute of Virology (ICMR-NIV).
- The device can decontaminate an N-95 mask in 90 minutes, following which it can be re-used 10 times.
Odisha university innovates ultraviolet device for sanitisation
- The Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology (VSSUT) in Odisha has come up with a robot-assisted device that uses short-wave ultraviolet rays for sanitisation.
- The contactless device- Ultra Violet Robot-Assisted Sanitiser (UVRAS)-can be an effective tool in the war against Covid-19.
- The UVRAS emits ultraviolet light to disinfect enclosed areas like hospital rooms, doctors’ chambers, operation theatres, guest rooms, restaurants and meeting spaces.
- This device has a camera that gives a real-time video of the area where it will be deployed for sanitisation.
Loyal Textile Mills Limited launched the world’s first reusable PPE with Triple Viral Shield Technology
- Loyal Textile Mills Limited launched Viral Shield, a line of COVID-19 anti-viral, reusable Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), masks and protective fashion wear range.
The series has been launched in collaboration with Reliance Industries India and HeiQ from Switzerland. This PPE emerges as the world’s first reusable PPE that has passed the Viral Penetration Test, Synthetic Blood Penetration Test, and the SBPR Test.
- RElanTM FeelFresh (from Reliance Industries India) fibre used in manufacturing this fabric is inherently anti-microbial that inhibits any viral or bacterial growth. The fabric is then specially treated with “HeiQ Viroblock” the latest technology innovation from Switzerland, proven to have astounding anti-viral efficacy of 99.99 per cent against coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Lewis Hamilton takes dominant Styrian Grand Prix win after Ferraris collide
- Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton cruised to a comfortable victory in the Styrian Grand Prix.
- The world champion’s first victory of the year was founded on a stupendous performance in wet qualifying, in which he took pole by more than 1.2 seconds.
- Hamilton led from pole position, headed only at the pit-stops, as team-mate Valtteri Bottas overtook Red Bull’s Max Verstappen late on for second.
- Having been classified a disappointing P4 at last weekend’s Austrian Grand Prix, Hamilton was strong away from the start line, before spending the race managing the gap, first to Red Bull’s Verstappen then to Bottas, to secure his 85th Grand Prix win.
- Despite a stern defence from Verstappen, Bottas claimed second place from the Dutchman four laps from the end, last week’s Austrian Grand Prix winner limiting the damage in the drivers’ championship, which the Finn still heads.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Hawkins Cookers Chairman Brahm Vasudeva passes away
- Hawkins Cookers Chairman Brahm Vasudeva passed away at the age of 84.
- Vasudeva was appointed on the board of the company in 1968 as Vice Chairman and Managing Director and became the Wholetime Chairman and Managing Director in 1984.
- He was the Non-Executive Chairman and advisor to the company since 2006.
Cartoonist Avad Bin Hassan Jami passes away
- Renowned cartoonist Avad Bin Hassan Jami, popularly known as “Jami” passed away. He was 77.
- His cartoons regularly published in leading Gujarati daily newspapers and news magazines for more than two decades.
- Jami was a drawing teacher at Kendriya Vidyalaya, Jamnagar. He became a full time cartoonist after retirement.
Sarbjit actor Ranjan Sehgal passes away
- Actor Ranjan Sehgal, who predominantly featured in Punjabi TV shows, has passed away due to multiple organ failure. He was 36.
- The actor, who was also seen on episodes of Hindi crime shows like Crime Patrol and Saavdhan India.
Veteran Gujarati journalist, columnist, writer Nagindas Sanghvi passes away at 100
- Veteran Gujarati journalist, columnist, writer and political analyst Nagindas Sanghvi passed away in Surat. He was 100 and suffering from acute asthma. Mr. Sangvi was conferred Padma Shri award in the year 2019.
- He was in teaching at Bhavan’s College Andheri from 1951 to 1980. Later he moved to Ruparel College, Mahim and Mithibai College, Vile Parle for teaching political science. He had written many books on Mahatma Gandhi, Gujarat and other subjects.
DAILY CA 11th JUL
- World Population Day- 11th july
- MSDE launches ASEEM portal to help skilled people find livelihood opportunities
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Facebook host webinar for sensitization of MPs on GOAL project
- Shipping Ministry issues draft ‘Aids to Navigation Bill 2020’ for public consultation
- US approves $620 mn missile upgrade package for Taiwan
- IRDAI gives its nod to Insurance companies to launch corona Kavach Health Insurance Policies
- HDFC ERGO Launches Corona Kavach Policy
- Global economy to contract by 5.2 pc in 2020: Report
- Maharashtra govt, SBI to set up stress fund for stuck slum rehabilitation projects
- Haryana To Get Rs 1,500 Cr Central Aid For Crop Diversification, Ponds Rejuvenation
- Asia’s Largest Data Centre With 210MW Overall Capacity Inaugurated Near Mumbai
- Flipkart signs MoU with Karnataka govt to Promote local art, craft and handlooms
- T-Hub partners with MeitY, Digital India for hardware start-ups
- ADB, IEA Renew Pact To Collaborate On Energy Sector Sustainability And Resilience
- Baushuan Ger is Taiwan’s new ambassador to India
- Gyanendro Ningombam named as Officiating President of Hockey India
- Indian-American to be acting head of US agriculture research organisation
- Indian battalion wins UNIFIL environment award
- Prakash Javadekar Represents India at Fourth virtual Ministerial on Climate Action
- Mukesh Ambani now is the fifth richest man in the world: Hurun
- IISc Designs Eye Gaze-Controlled Robotic Arm For Speech, Motor Impaired
- Stokes becomes 2nd-fastest all-rounder to score 4000 runs, take 150 wickets
- England 1966 World Cup hero Jack Charlton dies at 85
DAILY CA 12th & 13th JUL
- National Simplicity Day- 12th july
- Malala Day- 12th july
- NITI Aayog Atal Innovation Mission Launches App Development Module For School Students
- NTPC’s Singrauli Unit 1 emerges top-performing plant in Q1
- NITI Aayog presents India’s second Voluntary National Review at UN, titled ‘Decade of Action: Taking SDGs From Global to Local’
- HSBC India rolls out digital payment products for retail customers
- Visa partners with Federal Bank for rolling out Visa Secure for e-commerce
- Income Tax Department launches tool for Banks to ascertain TDS applicability rates on cash withdrawals
- Signature Global to invest Rs 225 cr in affordable housing project in Gurugram
- BSE, IIT Alumni Council ink pact for listing of start-ups
- Indian GDP to contract 7.5 per cent if COVID vaccine is delayed, 4 per cent in base case: Report
- Qualcomm picks 0.15 per cent stake in Jio for Rs 730 crore
- MP govt begins ‘Mera Ghar Mera Vidyalaya’ scheme to facilitate students
- MP govt to run ‘Roko -Toko’ campaign for those who do not wear masks
- Chhattisgarh organises India’s first e-Lok Adalat
- Rudrendra Tandon is India’s next envoy to Afghanistan, Vikram Doraiswami to move to Dhaka
- Singapore PM Lee Hsien Loong returns to power
- Chhattisgarh’s CM Darpan Portal and mobile app get award by IT institution
- Arunachal Pradesh filmmaker Kezang D Thongdok bags Dada Saheb Phalke Award for documentary on honey hunting
- India’s 2018 Tiger Census sets Guinness World Record for being largest camera trapping wildlife survey
- EPS honoured with Paul Harris Fellow recognition
- NTPC Limited wins prestigious CII-ITC Sustainability Award 2019
- Elon Musk is the ‘best’ paid CEO, Apple CEO Tim Cook at 2nd spot
- India 2nd- largest source of FDI for Britain
- Ruskin Bond’s ‘A Song of India’, illustrated book out on July 20
- IIT-Delhi develops device to disinfect N-95 masks in 90 minutes
- Odisha university innovates ultraviolet device for sanitisation
- Loyal Textile Mills Limited launched the world’s first reusable PPE with Triple Viral Shield Technology
- Lewis Hamilton takes dominant Styrian Grand Prix win after Ferraris collide
- Hawkins Cookers Chairman Brahm Vasudeva passes away
- Cartoonist Avad Bin Hassan Jami passes away
- Sarbjit actor Ranjan Sehgal passes away
- Veteran Gujarati journalist, columnist, writer Nagindas Sanghvi passes away at 100