This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism
- UN established 21 August as the International Day of Remembrance of and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism in order to honor and support the victims and survivors of terrorism and to promote and protect the full enjoyment of their human rights and fundamental freedoms.
- An online high-level event entitled “Not Forgotten: Stories of Remembrance of Victims of Terrorism”, will be held with the participation of the United Nations Secretary-General, Mr. António Guterres, for victims to speak about remembrance on their own terms, reminding the audience that it is not only about bereavement, but also about acknowledging the experience of survivors.
World Senior Citizen’s Day
- The World Senior Citizen’s Day is celebrated on August 21 each year. The day is dedicated to increase awareness about the issues that affect older adults.
- The history of the World Senior Citizen’s Day dates back to 1988. Ronald Reagan, former president of the United States officially founded World Senior Citizen’s Day – a day dedicated to older adults and their issues.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Government has launched schemes for development of three Bulk Drug Parks and four Medical Device Parks across the country
- Department of Pharmaceuticals has taken several measures to create suitable environment for development of domestic capacity in the pharma sector.
- India’s Pharma Industry is an asset not just for India but for the entire world. It has played a leading role in reducing the cost of medicines especially for developing countries.’
- CII’s 12th MedTech Global Summit Charting the MedTech route to AtmaNirbhar Bharat inaugurated by Union Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers D.V. Sadananda Gowda.
- Government has launched schemes for development of three Bulk Drug Parks and four Medical Device Parks across the country. Apart from increasing Central assistance for development of common infrastructure facilities in the parks.
- Union Government will also extend Production Linked Incentive (PLI) to manufacturers of bulk drugs and medical devices in these parks.
- Union Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers: Shri. D.V. Sadananda Gowda
- Constituency: Bangalore North
Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh virtually releasing a book on Cancer edited by noted Oncologist Dr Ashok Vaid
- Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh, who is himself a known Diabetologist and medical professional, released a book on Cancer edited by noted Oncologist and Padma Shree recipient, Dr Ashok K. Vaid.
- Over the last two decades there had been a significant shift from communicable diseases to non-communicable diseases with an upsurge in disorders like Diabetes Mellitus, hypertension, Coronary Heart Disease and Cancer.
- The prevalence of Cancer has rapidly increased across the country and has begun to affect different organs. For example, while in Jammu & Kashmir, particularly in the Valley, Gastrointestinal and Lung Cancers are more prevalent, in the North Eastern Region Cancers of head and neck take the highest toll.
Dr Harsh Vardhan launches interactive first-of-its-kind video game ‘Corona Fighters’ to spread awareness
- Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan has launched an interactive first-of-its-kind game on COVID-19, the Corona Fighters. The Minister also launched two new videos urging adherence to key COVID Appropriate Behaviours.
- Harsh Vardhan stated that the game presents a new and extremely creative way to teach people the right tools and behaviours to fight the Covid-19 pandemic. He stated that the game was designed to influence the players’ actions in the real world, reminding them to take the right precautions and escape infection.
- The Minister also recollected his experience with the Polio Abhiyaan which was transformed into a social movement through people’s participation and support and contribution of many film industry professionals.
Arjun Munda virtually launches ‘TRIFOOD’ Project in Raigad, Jagdalpur
- Tribal Affairs Minister Arjun Munda virtually launched the tertiary processing centres under the ‘TRIFOOD’ project at Raigad in Maharashtra and Jagdalpur in Chhattisgarh. The TRIFOOD Project aims at enhancing the income of tribals through better utilization and value addition to the Minor Forest Produces (MFPs) collected by the tribal forest gatherers. ‘TRIFOOD’ project is being implemented by Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED).
- Under the project, two Minor Forest Produce (MFP) processing units will be set up. The unit at Raigad in Maharashtra will be used for value addition to traditional tribal drink mahua, amla, custard apple and jamun and will also produce mahua drink, amla juice, candy, jamun juice and custard apple pulp.
- The multi-commodity processing centre at Jagdalpur in Chhattisgarh, will be used for the processing of commodities like mahua, amla, honey, cashew, tamarind, ginger, garlic and other fruits and vegetables.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Senator Kamala Harris becomes first Indian American to accept Democratic Party nomination for Vice President post in US
- US Senator Kamala Harris has accepted her nomination for the US Vice Presidential candidate for Democratic Party. In her acceptance speech she stated that she was honoured to accept the nomination for Vice President of the United States.
- Taking the names of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor Kamala stated they have got to do the work to fulfill that promise of equal justice under law adding that none of us are free until all of us are free.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Vijaynagar, one of the remotest corners in Arunachal Pradesh, gets mobile connectivity
- Vijaynagar in Arunachal Pradesh, one of the remotest and eastern most part of the country, has been connected with mobile connectivity.
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited has installed a network tower which has become functional now.
- The 2G mobile service that Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited, BSNL launched in Vijaynagar area on first of August this month will be a boon for the people of this isolated place.
- The State Govt and the Indian Air Force have extended necessary help and other logistic support to the BSNL for transportation of the mobile & satellite equipment.
About Arunachal Pradesh
- Capital: Itanagar
- Chief minister: Pema Khandu
- Governor: B D Mishra
Jharkhand government launches new state emblem
- Jharkhand government launched a new state emblem, twenty years after the state was carved out of Bihar.
- The new logo is primarily in green and has the national emblem at the centre with “Satyameva Jayate” etched below. The Ashoka emblem, representing cooperative federalism, is enclosed in concentric circles depicting the state’s culture and its abundant natural resources.
- The logo represents and its rings represent the urge for development, art, culture, customs, traditions, values, religion, the lush greenery in the state and last but not the least the abundance of minerals in the state.
- Red colour used in the logo represents the strength of the state to struggle and pave its own way out of adversities.
- Palash flowers, also known as flame of the forest, reflecting the natural beauty of Jharkhand, are also included in the new emblem.
- Elephants, being the state animal, have been also been included and represent calmness. Labours and group dance, in the emblem, represent culture and the strength of social bonding.
- Capital: Ranchi
- Chief minister: Hemant Soren
- Governor: Draupadi Murmu
Chhattisgarh declared as cleanest state of country
- Chhattisgarh has been declared as the cleanest state of the country as per the Cleanliness Survey 2020 organized by Union Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry. Chhattisgarh has bagged 14 national awards in various categories. The state had taken many initiatives to achieve this success.
- In Chhattisgarh, 100% door to door garbage collection was ensured. All 166 municipal bodies are ensuring collection of waste from every household and 100% disposal of the same in SLRM center. Various innovative initiatives were taken by all urban bodies and citizens for cleanliness. Garbage collection vehicles and all Swachhta Didis, Safai Mitra were monitored online.
- Besides, plastic has been banned in all municipal bodies. 3R Principle- Residue, Reuse and Recycle was implemented in all the urban bodies through innovations such as Neki Ki Diwar, Bartan Bank, Home Composting. Waste pickers were given employment under the Mission Clean City Scheme.
- All the West Pickers were issued ration cards, Aadhaar cards, life insurance cover and other government benefits. Cleanliness app was created and the complaints received by the urban bodies on this App are being resolved within time frame.
- Capital: Raipur
- Chief Minister: Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor: Anusuiya Uikey
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Army general Assimi Goita declares himself in charge of Mali
- A colonel in Mali’s army Assimi Goita now in charge of the West African country
- Mali’s President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita resigned hours after soldiers seized him from his home as part of a coup following months of mass protests against alleged corruption and worsening security in the West African country.
- Capital: Bamako
- Currency: West African CFA franc
Equatorial Guinea reappoints Prime Minister Asue after government resignation
- Dakar Francisco Asue was reappointed as prime minister of Equatorial Guinea, after he and the government resigned last week after criticism from longstanding President Teodoro Obiang.
- Asue and his government tendered their resignation to Obiang, who said they had not done enough to help the country at a time of crisis.
- This is Asue’s third consecutive stint as premier since his first appointment in 2016.
About Equatorial Guinea
- Capital: Malabo
- Currency: Central African CFA franc
Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley Begins Second Term
- Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Keith Rowley is beginning his second term as the island’s leader.
- Prime Minister Rowley’s ruling People’s National Movement party won 22 seats, while the opposition Kamla Persad-Bissessar ruling United National Congress gained 19 seats.
About Republic of Trinidad and Tobago
- Capital: Port of Spain
- Currency: Trinidad and Tobago dollar
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING
Lakshmi Vilas Bank launches instant account opening facility
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB) has launched LVB DigiGo, a digital initiative to enable opening of savings account instantly. LVB’s new initiative will help people to avail the most required banking services instantly through the website.
- This can later be converted to a fully featured account, upon visiting the nearest LVB branch
- As a Lakshmi DigiGo customer, one can visit the nearest LVB Branch and convert his/her “Lakshmi DigiGo”, account to a fully-featured regular account of choice and avail cheque book, debit card and a host of other facilities.
About Lakshmi Vilas Bank:
- Headquarters: Chennai
- Tagline: The Changing Face Of Prosperity
- MD and CEO: Subramanian Sundar
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Apple becomes first U.S. Company to reach a $2 trillion market cap
- Apple hit a market cap of $2 trillion, doubling in valuation in just over two years to become the first publicly traded U.S. Company to reach the milestone.
- Apple first reached a $1 trillion market cap on Aug. 2, 2018.
- Recently, Apple passed the state oil giant Saudi Aramco to become the world’s most valuable publicly traded company.
- Also FutureBrand Index 2020 list is topped by
- CEO: Tim Cook
- Headquarters: Cupertino, California.
NPCI launches international unit to expand reach of UPI
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) launched its international arm– NPCI International Payments Ltd — to expand real-time payment system Unified Payments Interface (UPI) and card payment network RuPay in other countries.
- The primary focus of NIPL would be internationalization of RuPay and UPI, along with a few more offerings of NPCI.
- NIPL will be headed by Ritesh Shukla as Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- Headquarters location: Mumbai
- MD & CEO: Dilip Asbe
NRDC, NAL to establish incubation centre for start-ups in aerospace technologies
- The National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) and the National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL) will establish an innovation-cum-incubation centre with external private funding to promote startups in the emerging area of aerospace technologies, a statement stated.
- Under this programme startups in the area of aerospace engineering would be incubated, mentored and supported for product and prototype development and their validation.
- The NRDC is a PSU under the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research while the NAL is an institute under the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research.
- He also stated this partnership will help to create employment opportunities in the country.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
India, Israel sign cultural agreement to further boost people-to-people ties
- India and Israel signed a cultural agreement that outlines a three-year programme of cooperation to further strengthen their strategic bilateral relations today. It aims to promote greater people-to-people exchanges.
- The agreement states that it shall contribute to the development of their relations and to raising awareness, particularly among youth, of the history and culture of the people of both countries.
- The programme of cooperation between the two countries for the years 2020-23 is based on the cultural agreement signed between them on May 18, 1993, a little more than a year after they established full-fledged diplomatic relations.
- The major areas of cooperation identified to promote cultural ties include the exchange of culture and art experts, encouraging cooperation in the protection of cultural heritage and archaeology with the help of Israel Antiquities Authority (IIA) and Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) and organising literary fests and book fairs while promoting the translation of famous works in each other’s languages.
- It also includes student exchanges through scholarships, encouraging the participation of films and film-makers in each other’s international film festivals, devising youth exchange programmes and encouraging sports-related interaction among youth.
- Capital: Jerusalem
- Currency: Israeli Shekel
- Prime Minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
Ministry of Skill Development, Ministry of Shipping ink MoU for skill development in port & maritime sector
- A Memorandum of Understanding, MoU was signed between Ministry of Skill Development and Ministry of Shipping for skill development in port and maritime sector.
- The MoU is aimed at skilling, re-skilling and up-skilling manpower for the growing maritime industry and development of coastal community.
- This MoU will reinforce the commitment of Coastal Community Development under Sagar Mala programme of Ministry of Shipping and nurture the skilled manpower for the development of ports and maritime sector of India and globally.
AIM, NITI Aayog, Business Sweden collaborate to promote disruptive potential of Indian entrepreneurs
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog and Business Sweden on behalf of India Sweden Healthcare Innovation Centre are collaborating to promote the disruptive potential of Indian entrepreneurs.
- This will boost the vibrant start-up ecosystem across the country. A virtual Statement of Intent was signed between AIM and India-Sweden Healthcare Innovation Centre in New Delhi.
- Under AIM, various programmes or initiatives are being run such as Atal New India Challenge, Atal Incubation Centre, Atal Community Innovation Centers, Atal Tinkering Lab and Atal Research and Innovation for Small Enterprises.
- Through this collaboration, these initiatives are set to receive support by the means of conducting programmes, awareness campaigns, various activities and events that would promote the overall innovation grid of both the countries.
- India-Sweden Healthcare Innovation Centre is a collaboration between AIIMS Delhi, AIIMS Jodhpur and Business Sweden.
IIT Roorkee signs MoU with BIS to work on standardisation and conformity assessment activities
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee has inked a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) to carry out activities in the field of standardisation and conformity assessment.
- As part of the collaboration, both bodies will work on civil, electrical, mechanical, chemical, earthquake engineering, development and management of water resources and renewable energy projects, infrastructure development, medical biotechnology and nanotechnology, and biomaterials, among others.
- Students in various engineering disciplines will be able to explore the national and international standards through this collaboration, he added.
- The entities will participate in the standardisation activity through the technical committees of the Bureau, which will also extend financial aid to set up a chair in the field of standardisation and conformity assessment at IIT Roorkee, reported Business World.
L&T arm signs MoU with NTPC to build CO2-to-methanol demonstration plant
- L&T Hydrocarbon Engineering (LTHE), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Larsen & Toubro (L&T), has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with NTPC to build a CO2-to-methanol demonstration plant in an NTPC power station.
- LTHE will be the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) partner to build a plant that will comprise three sub-units, namely CO2 capture from Flue Gas, H2 production by electrolysis of water, and catalytic conversion of CO2 & H2 to methanol, the company stated.
- As per this MOU, LTHE and NTPC will further collaborate to accelerate the development and subsequently commercialise CO2 to methanol plants. In Q1 FY21, the hydrocarbon segment bagged orders worth 1,220 crore, a decline of 64 per cent year-on-year. The total order book of the segment stood at Rs.42,094 crore, with the international order book constituting 49 per cent of the total order book.
Andhra Pradesh inks pact with Reliance, Allana group for empowering women
- Andhra Pradesh government has signed MoUs with Reliance Retail, Jio and Allana group to collaborate in the YSR Cheyutha, a scheme for empowering women.
- The objective of partnerships is to provide more business opportunities for women.
- Reliance Retail will help women in running groceries retail shops and train them besides providing them provisions at competitive prices. Jio will provide a platform to connect the customer base with the women entrepreneurs.
- Allana group, which has expertise in food processing, will help in the dairy and animal husbandry. The State has already signed MoUs with Amul, HUL, Proctor & Gamble and ITC.
- YSR Cheyutha has been taken up to empower women and to provide a stable livelihood for the SC, ST, BC, minorities in the age group of 45 to 60 years.
- Under YSR Cheyutha scheme, 18,750 would be given per annum for four years aggregating to Rs.75,000 benefiting about 23 lakh women and this year Rs.4.300 crore was disbursed.
- YSR Asara, to be launched next month, will benefit 9 lakh women self-help groups and 6,700 crore will be disbursed.
- The two schemes will bring self-reliance among the women, and 11,000 crore would be spent for their economic empowerment and about one crore women will be benefited, according to a release.
About Andhra Pradesh:
- Capital: Amaravati, Hyderabad
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswabhusan Harichandan
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
UST Global wins PMI-Kerala award for ‘Adopt a School’ initiative
- Digital transformation solutions company UST Global has won the PMI-Kerala Community Project of the Year Award for 2020 for its ‘Adopt a School’ initiative under which the company adopts and supports government or government-aided schools in the rural and financially backward communities.
- The award from Project Management Institute Kerala (PMIK) recognises and honours significant initiatives undertaken by corporate bodies or organisations as part of corporate social responsibility (CSR) for the well-being of the community. UST Global’s CSR initiative was chosen for this award on the primary criteria of the project management principles applied in the effective and efficient execution of the project.
- The award is the highest recognition for the project management community in the State, a company spokesperson stated. Chief Values Officer, UST Global, the Adopt a School programme is fully planned, implemented and evaluated by UST Global employees as part of the company’s employee engagement framework called COLORS.
- The programme currently provides support to over 6,500 children of 30 government schools spread across Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi, and other towns. The CSR programme for the education vertical has so far supported over 20,000 students through a lifecycle approach of providing education to school children, higher education, professional education, skill development and employability of youth.
Global Gene Corp wins Roddenberry Prize for healthcare project
- An India and UK-headquartered genomics biotech company is among four worldwide projects awarded the $1-million 2020 Roddenberry Prize, designed to advance the vision of ‘Star Trek’ creator Gene Roddenberry to better humanity.
- The prize pivoted to engage organisations who demonstrated their agility and innovation on the frontlines of Covid-19.
- Global Gene Corp was recognised in the Science category for democratising healthcare through genomics by mapping and organising the world’s genomic diversity. In the process, the company, based out of Mumbai and Cambridge, was lauded for helping the world overcome the bias that 80 per cent of all existing genomic data come from people of European ancestry.
- Jamuar, an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) alumni, co-founded the firm with a strategic priority to map and organise the world’s genomic diversity.
- The other winners of the 2020 Roddenberry Prize include two US-based projects: Digital Green in the Environment category for its work in empowering smallholder farmers by harnessing the collective power of technology across India, Ethiopia and other parts of South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
India Tomorrow: Conversations with the Next Generation of Political Leaders by Professor Pradeep Chhibber and Harsh Shah
- The book titled “India Tomorrow: Conversations with the Next Generation of Political Leaders”.
- The book is written by American academicians Pradeep Chhibber and Harsh Shah and published by Oxford University Press (OUP).
- The book includes interviews of Politiciansbelow the age of 50 years only and released in August, 2020.
- It will include personalities of the likes of Rahul Gandhi, Smriti Zubin Irani, Varun Gandhi, Omar Abdullah and Akhilesh Yadav.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MERGER AND ACQUISITION
CCI approves Siemens’ acquisition of C&S Electric
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved proposed acquisition of C&S Electric Ltd by Siemens Ltd. The proposed combination envisages acquisition of 100 per cent of the share capital of C&S Electric Ltd (C&S) by Siemens Ltd (Siemens India).
- At the time of closing of the proposed combination, the scope of business of C&S shall include low-voltage (LV) switchgear components and panels, LV and medium voltage (MV) power busbars as well as protection and metering devices of C&S. Other businesses of C&S, such as MV switchgear and package sub-station, lighting, diesel generating sets, engineering, procurement and construction business and the “Etacom” busbars business will be retained by the existing promoters of C&S, an official release stated.
- Siemens India focuses on the areas of power generation and distribution, intelligent infrastructure for buildings and distributed energy systems, automation and digitalization in the process and manufacturing industries.
- It also supplies smart mobility solutions for rail and road transport and infrastructure solutions for Smart Cities.
- C&S manufactures a range of electrical switchgear, power protection and electrical distribution products. C&S also has an electrical contracting business which performs turnkey solutions for industrial and commercial electrification, sub-stations and power plants. In addition, C&S is also engaged in the design and execution of grid connected solar photo-voltaic power plants, the release added.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
First rockets produced by private sector successfully test fired
- The first ever rockets fully manufactured by the private sector have been successfully test fired by the army.
- The Pinaka rockets were tested at a firing range in Pokharan and achieved the desired results by accurately hitting targets.
- The rockets have been manufactured by the private sector after a technology transfer agreement with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- Six Pinaka rockets were test fired as part of the final developmental trials. The rockets have been manufactured by Economic Explosives Ltd (EEL) and are the first munition of its kind made by the private sector in India.
- As part of the Make in India drive and push for the private sector in defence manufacturing, the Pinaka technology was transferred five years ago, with a decision taken to split further orders evenly with OFB.
- The army has a large requirement for rockets of this class, which is pegged at over 1,000 units annually. The Pinaka is a home developed multi barrel rocket launcher system that is already in service with the Indian Army.
- An order for two additional Pinaka regiments has been under process since 2017, which will be made by L&T and Tata Aerospace and Defence for an estimated Rs 4,500 cr.
Iran unveils locally made ballistic and cruise missiles amid US tensions
- Iran inaugurated a surface-to-surface ballistic missile with a range of 1,400 km and a new cruise missile.
- The surface-to-surface missile, called martyr Qassem Soleimani, has a range of 1,400 km and the cruise missile, called martyr Abu Mahdi, has a range of over 1000 kilometers, Hatami stated.
- Soleimani, head of Iran’s elite Quds Force, and Iraqi militia commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis were killed in January in a U.S. strike on their convoy in Baghdad airport.
- Capital: Tehran
- Currency: Iranian rial
- President: Hassan Rouhani
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Digital Quality of Life Index 2020
- Digital Quality of Life (DQL) Index 2020has been released by SurfShark, an online privacy solutions provider.
- According to it,India ranks among the lowest in the world in terms of Internet quality.
- Denmark taking the leading position globally. India ranked 57th.
|Parameters||India’s Rank||Topped by|
|Time to work to afford the cheapest mobile internet (seconds)||5th|
|Time to work to afford the cheapest broadband internet (minutes)||49th|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
NASA observing ‘dent’ in magnetic field ‘It is splitting’
- NASA Researchers Track Slowly Splitting ‘Dent’ in Earth’s Magnetic Field
- A small but evolving dent in Earth’s magnetic field can cause big headaches for satellites.
- Earth’s magnetic field acts like a protective shield around the planet, repelling and trapping charged particles from the Sun. But over South America and the southern Atlantic Ocean, an unusually weak spot in the field – called the South Atlantic Anomaly, or SAA – allows these particles to dip closer to the surface than normal.
- Particle radiation in this region can knock out onboard computers and interfere with the data collection of satellites that pass through it – a key reason why NASA scientists want to track and study the anomaly.
- The South Atlantic Anomaly is also of interest to NASA’s Earth scientists who monitor the changes in magnetic field strength there, both for how such changes affect Earth’s atmosphere and as an indicator of what’s happening to Earth’s magnetic fields, deep inside the globe.
- Currently, the SAA creates no visible impacts on daily life on the surface. However, recent observations and forecasts show that the region is expanding westward and continuing to weaken in intensity. It is also splitting – recent data shows the anomaly’s valley, or region of minimum field strength, has split into two lobes, creating additional challenges for satellite missions.
- A host of NASA scientists in geomagnetic, geophysics, and heliophysics research groups observe and model the SAA, to monitor and predict future changes – and help prepare for future challenges to satellites and humans in space.
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- Administrator: Jim Bridenstine
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Former India international goalkeeper Bhaskar Maity passes away
- Former India international goalkeeper Bhaskar Maity, who suffered a brain stroke, passed away at the age of 67.
- The goalkeeper was an integral part of the Indian national team at the 1978 Asian Games wherein India was ousted from the semifinal group stage. He was also a member of the Indian team at the Agha Khan Cup and Dhaka Cup in 1977.
- As a coach, he worked as an assistant coach at Mumbai-based football clubs Mumbai FC and Mumbai Tigers.
DAILY CA 20th AUG
- World Mosquito Day- 20th august
- Sadbhavana Diwas- 20th august
- Indian Railways introduces drone-based surveillance system to protect railway assets
- Union Cabinet gives a go ahead to setting up of National Recruitment Agency, to benefit job seeking youth of the country
- UAE connects first Arab nuclear plant to power grid
- 41 lakh youth lost jobs in India due to COVID-19 impact, says ILO-ADB Report
- YES BANK launches digital `Loan against Securities` under the Loan in Seconds platform for instant loan disbursements
- IRDAI group recommends setting up loss prevention entity for non-life insurers
- RBI releases guidelines for forming self-regulatory organisation in payments
- Edelweiss Tokio Life partners with Element AI for AI transformation journey
- World Bank sees higher GDP fall in India than 3.2% it projected for FY21
- Tata Capital launches ‘Swift Insta Personal Loans’ on WhatsApp
- ”Dhanwantari Rath” to bring ayurveda at doorsteps of Delhi Police families
- Lokajat Yatra Begins In Uttarakhand
- Chandigarh administration launches new website
- MP govt to provide poor people Rs. one per kg wheat, rice, salt from Sept 1
- J&K govt publishes its work done under ‘Back to Village (B2V)’ programme
- Tata Steel launches FerroHaat App for sourcing steel scrap
- Google launches Kormo app in India to help people find jobs
- JCI & NSC inks MoU to provide certified good quality seeds to jute farmers in year 2021-22
- AIFF signs MoU with IPSO to conduct online scouting workshops in India
- Luis Abinader Sworn in as Dominican Leader
- Malian President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita Resigns After Soldiers Mutiny
- Kishor Rungta assumes charge as Chairman of Fertilisers Association of India
- Ganesh Vilas Lengare awarded Star 2020 Certificate by World Book of Records, London
- Dwijing Festival Wins 5 Awards At WOW Awards Asia – 2020
- LS Speaker Om Birla attends inaugural ceremony of 5th World Conference of Speakers of Parliament
- Indore in Madhya Pradesh declared as the cleanest city in national Swachh Survekshan 2020 awards
- SCTIMST & IIT Madras start-up set up portable hospital infrastructure for COVID -19
- Penguin announces Sudha Murthy’s next book ‘Grandparents’ Bag of Stories’
- Indian Coast Guard Launches 27-Meter-Long Interceptor Boat In Surat
- Veteran cricketer Gopalaswamy Kasturirangan passes away due to heart attack
- ‘Chariots of Fire’ star Ben Cross passes away
DAILY CA 21st AUG
- International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism observed on 21 August
- The World Senior Citizen’s Day is celebrated on August 21 each year
- Government has launched schemes for development of three Bulk Drug Parks and four Medical Device Parks across the country
- Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh virtually releasing a book on Cancer edited by noted Oncologist Dr Ashok Vaid
- Dr Harsh Vardhan launches interactive first-of-its-kind video game ‘Corona Fighters’ to spread awareness
- Arjun Munda virtually launches ‘TRIFOOD’ Project in Raigad, Jagdalpur
- Senator Kamala Harris becomes first Indian American to accept Democratic Party nomination for Vice President post in US
- Vijaynagar, one of the remotest corners in Arunachal Pradesh, gets mobile connectivity
- Jharkhand government launches new state emblem
- Chhattisgarh declared as cleanest state of country
- Army general Assimi Goita declares himself in charge of Mali
- Equatorial Guinea reappoints Prime Minister Asue after government resignation
- Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley Begins Second Term
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank launches instant account opening facility
- Apple becomes first U.S. Company to reach a $2 trillion market cap
- NPCI launches international unit to expand reach of UPI
- NRDC, NAL to establish incubation centre for start-ups in aerospace technologies
- India, Israel sign cultural agreement to further boost people-to-people ties
- Ministry of Skill Development, Ministry of Shipping ink MoU for skill development in port & maritime sector
- AIM, NITI Aayog, Business Sweden collaborate to promote disruptive potential of Indian entrepreneurs
- IIT Roorkee signs MoU with BIS to work on standardisation and conformity assessment activities
- L&T arm signs MoU with NTPC to build CO2-to-methanol demonstration plant
- Andhra Pradesh inks pact with Reliance, Allana group for empowering women
- UST Global wins PMI-Kerala award for ‘Adopt a School’ initiative
- Global Gene Corp wins Roddenberry Prize for healthcare project
- India Tomorrow: Conversations with the Next Generation of Political Leaders by Professor Pradeep Chhibber and Harsh Shah
- CCI approves Siemens’ acquisition of C&S Electric
- First rockets produced by private sector successfully test fired
- Iran unveils locally made ballistic and cruise missiles amid US tensions
- Digital Quality of Life Index 2020
- NASA observing ‘dent’ in magnetic field ‘It is splitting’
- Former India international goalkeeper Bhaskar Maity passes away