This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism (I/C) virtually launches “Life in Miniature” project
- Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism (I/C) Shri Prahlad Singh Patel virtually launched the “Life in Miniature” project, a collaboration between the National Museum, New Delhi, Ministry of Culture, and Google Arts & culture.
- On the Google Arts & Culture app, online viewers can experience the first Augmented Reality-powered art gallery designed with traditional Indian architecture, and explore a life-size virtual space where you can walk up to a selection of miniature paintings.
- The artworks showcased are presented along with five universal themes of the human relationship with nature, love, celebration, faith, and power.
- Users will be able to see famous miniature collections of the National Museum, like the Ramayana, Royal Saga, Pahari style paintings in never before seen ways and in extraordinary detail, in just a few clicks at co/LifeInMiniature.
- Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism (I/C): Shri Prahlad Singh Patel
- Constituency: Damoh, Madhya Pradesh
ECI Sets Up Panel To Examine Expenditure Limit For Candidates
- The Election Commission has constituted a two-member committee to examine the issues concerning expenditure limit for a candidate considering increase in number of electors and rise in Cost Inflation Index and other factors.
- Former Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer Harish Kumar, who was a Director General, Investigation, and the EC’s Secretary General and Director General, Expenditure, Umesh Sinha will be the committee members.
- The committee’s terms of reference are to assess the change in number of electors across the states or Union Territories and its bearing on expenditure, the change in Cost Inflation Index and its bearing on the pattern of expenditure incurred by the candidates in recent elections, and seeking views of the political parties and other stakeholders.
- Also examining other factors which may have bearings on expenditure and examine any other related issue, it has been asked to submit its report within 120 days of its constitution.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chief Election Commissioner of India: Sunil Arora
CBSE introduces facial recognition systems for accessing digital documents
- Using the state of the art Facial Recognition System, CBSE will enable students, to download their digital academic documents of class X and XII. This computer application matches human face from a digital image already stored in the database. The computer and the human interact to map the facial features. In a Similar way, a live image of the student will be matched with the photograph on the CBSE admit card already stored in repository, and once successful, the certificate will be emailed to the student.
- This application is now available on “Parniaam Manjusha” and Digi Locker at https://digilocker.gov.in/cbse-certificate.htmlfor all 2020 records.
- CBSE has already pushed 12 crores digital academic documents in Digi locker which can be opened by a student to access Mark sheets, Pass and Migration Certificates. The latest facility of Face Matching will immensely help foreign students and those who are unable to open Digi locker account for any reason such as Adhaar Card or wrong mobile numbers.
- Headquarters location: Delhi
- Chairperson: Manoj Ahuja, IAS
Dept of Posts to release stamp on 75th anniversary of United Nations
- Department of Posts will be releasing a stamp in the presence of External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar on the eve of 75th anniversary of the United Nations.
- External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Anurag Srivastava stated India attaches highest priority to the expansion of the UN Security Council so that it reflects contemporary realities of the world.
- He stated reformed multilateralism will be a key pillar of overall approach in the upcoming innings of India as a non permanent member.
About Indian post:
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Pradipta Kumar Bisoi , Secretary
- Arundhaty Ghosh, Director General
About United Nations:
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945
- Secretary general: António Guterres
MSME Minister Nitin Gadkari launches India’s first-ever high quality Khadi Fabric Footwear
- Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises- MSME, Nitin Gadkari launched India’s first-ever high quality Khadi Fabric Footwear, designed by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) through Video Conference.These footwear are made of Khadi fabric like Silk, Cotton and Wool.
- On the occasion, Mr Gadkari also launched the online sale of Khadi footwear through KVIC’s e-portalkhadiindia.gov.in.
- Mr Gadkari stated, such unique products has high potential of capturing the international market and at the same time, Khadi fabric footwear will create additional employment and higher income for artisans.
- Mr Gadkari also urged the KVIC to develop alternatives to leather accessories like ladies’ handbags, purses, wallet in handcrafted Khadi fabric that has a huge potential in foreign markets.
- He stated, by developing and marketing such products overseas, Khadi India can capture a market worth Rs. 5000 crore.
About Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises:
- Nitin Gadkari, Cabinet Minister
- Pratap Chandra Sarangi, Minister of State
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Global trade likely to fall by 7 to 9% in 2020: UNCTAD
- The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development has stated that the value of global trade is set to fall by seven to nine per cent in 2020 from the previous year.
- The report added that if the pandemic resurges in coming months, that could lead to a deteriorating environment for policy-makers and sudden increase in trade restrictive policies.
- Meanwhile, China’s exports rebounded strongly in the third quarter after falling in the early months of the pandemic and have posted year-on-year growth rates of nearly 10 per cent.
About United Nations Conference on Trade and Development:
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Head: Mukhisa Kituyi
UNDP and EIF partner to develop initiatives for implementation of SDGs and sustainable finance
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the European Investment Fund (EIF) are joining forces to develop joint initiatives for sustainable finance and the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- EIF and UNDP have also agreed to explore cooperation opportunities in fields of common interest: Sustainable Development Goals, risk management, socio-economic and environmental impact assessments, as well as design and delivery of financial instruments and asset management services to support inclusive, private sector-led, growth.
- This MoU falls into the wider UNDP partnership with EIB Group (composed of the European Investment Bank and the European Investment Fund), which is essential to help countries to access and leverage COVID-19 response financing and better prevent future crises. Both organizations aim to jointly address global challenges and share knowledge with each other in areas such as migration, climate change, and crisis response.
- Building on the European Investment Bank’s – UNDP Indicative Joint Action Plan and capitalizing on successful initial institutional collaboration, EIF would leverage UNDP’s socio-economic assessments and seek support from UNDP in the context of embedding the SDGs into the deployment of financial instruments. At the same time, UNDP seeks to benefit from EIF’s unique experience in the context of structuring, deploying, and managing financial instruments and the related risks.
About United Nations Development Programme:
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Head: Achim Steiner
India and US to hold two plus two Ministerial Dialogue on Oct 27
- External Affairs Ministry stated the third India-US 22 Ministerial Dialogue to be held on 27th October will entail a comprehensive discussion on cross-cutting bilateral issues of mutual interest. India will be hosting the Dialogue in New Delhi.
- The spokesperson stated, the two leaders will also be meeting NSA Ajit Doval and there will be a joint call on Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The spokesperson stated India and the US have comprehensive global strategic partnership which includes political, security, defence, economic, commercial, technology and people to people contact.
- The first two 22 Ministerial dialogues were held in New Delhi in September 2018 and in Washington DC in December 2019. The agenda for the third dialogue will cover all bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual interest.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
FDI in India rises to over 358 billion during 2014-20: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- The government has stated that total Foreign Direct Investment- FDI inflow grew by 55 per cent from 37 billion dollar in 2008 to 2014 to over 358 billion dollar in 2014 to 2020.
- Ministry of Commerce and Industry in a statement stated, FDI equity inflow also increased by 57 per cent from around 160 billion dollar during 2008-14 to over 252 billion dollar in 2014-2020.The Ministry stated, during April to August this year, total FDI inflow of 73 billion is received.
- It is the highest ever for first 5 months of a financial year and 13 per cent higher as compared to first five months of 2019-20.
- It stated, FDI is a major driver of economic growth and an important source of non-debt finance for the economic development of India. It has been the endeavor of the Government to put in place an enabling and investor friendly FDI policy.
About Foreign Direct Investment:
- A foreign direct investment (FDI) is an investment made by a firm or individual in one country into business interests located in another country. Generally, FDI takes place when an investor establishes foreign business operations or acquires foreign business assets in a foreign company.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Nippon Life Invests in World Bank Sustainable Development Bonds and Highlights Support for Nutrition
- The World Bank (International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, IBRD, Aaa/AAA) issued a 15-year AU$150 million Sustainable Development Bond, while for the first time, highlighting the importance of good nutrition to build human capital. Nippon Life Insurance Company was the sole investor in this transaction.
- World Bank bonds support the financing of sustainable development projects and programs in member countries across a range of sectors in line with its mission to end extreme poverty and promote shared prosperity.
- This includes US$4.9 billion in projects, of which US$1 billion are in IBRD countries, helping to improve nutrition. Good nutrition is key to unlocking human capital and improving economic growth as better nourished children achieve greater learning outcomes, better earnings in adulthood and are therefore more likely to escape from poverty when they grow up.
About Nippon Life Insurance company:
- CEO: Hiroshi Shimizu
- Headquarters: Osaka, Osaka, Japan
About World Bank:
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- President: David Malpass
ACKO Partners With Finserv MARKETS To Offer Car And Bike Insurance
- India’s first and fastest-growing wholly digital general insurance provider, ACKO has partnered with Finserv MARKETS, a leading fintech aggregator, for offering two and four-wheeler insurance policies.
- Customers can now buy ACKO Insurance for their car or bike on the Finserv MARKETS platform by providing basic details.
- In partnership with Finserv MARKETS, ACKO has made the insurance buying experience transparent, intuitive and effortless. ACKO offers value added services like hassle-free claims, zero paperwork, one-hour pick-up, 3-day assured claim servicing and 1-year repair warranty – in select cities.
- This is coupled with the option for instant cash settlements for low value claims, makes it extremely beneficial for customers.
- Finserv MARKETS has been launched by Bajaj Finserv Direct Limited, a subsidiary of Bajaj Finserv. It is a one-stop digital marketplace that helps consumers compare and choose from a wide range of financial products. It has partnered with leading financial providers in the Lending, Insurance, Investments and Payments space to provide 500+ financial and lifestyle products, all in one place.
About Acko General Insurance:
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Key people: Varun Dua
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
AP govt launches YSR Bima scheme
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched YSR Bima scheme.
- The scheme will benefit 1.41 crore families by providing insurance cover. The State government will be paying 510 crore every year as a premium for the scheme.
- All the families with white ration cards are eligible for this scheme and the village/ward volunteers shall visit the families and enroll the names of the primary householders.
- Under this scheme, insurance amount for accidental death and total permanent disability for people aged between 18-50 years is5 lakh and for those between 51-70 years Rs.3 lakh.
- Similarly, for natural death cases (18-50 years)2 lakh and for partial permanent disability in an accident case (18-70 years) Rs.1.5 lakh assistance will be provided.
- In addition to this, an immediate assistance of10,000 will be provided to the families.
About Andhra Pradesh
- Executive Capital: Vishakhapatnam, Legislative Capital: Amaravati, Judicial Capital: Kurnool
- Governor: Biswabhusan Harichandan
- Chief minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
Uttarakhand CM Rawat Launches Integrated Model Agricultural Village Scheme
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat inaugurated Integrated Model Agricultural Village scheme (Ekikrit Adarsh Krishi Gram Yojana) in the state in partnership with NABARD.
- Integrated Model Agricultural Village scheme is a concept which will prove to be a milestone in strengthening the economy of farmers and doubling their income.
- The limit for interest free loan given to farmers is being hiked to Rs 3 lakh from Rs 2 lakh.
- 10,000 people will be deployed to give impetus to water conservation efforts and reduce man-animal conflict which has become a deterrent for people wanting to take up agriculture as a means of livelihood..
- Capitals: Dehradun (Winter), Gairsain (Summer)
- Governor: Baby Rani Maurya
- Chief Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat
Tamil Nadu govt implements Smart Black Board scheme in 80,000 govt schools
- Tamil Nadu government is implementing the Smart Black Board scheme in 80,000 government schools to ensure better teaching environment.
- The Smart Black Board scheme envisages usage of audio visual teaching material that can be fed into the computer screens in classes using widely available pen drives.
- The Central Education Ministry’s Smart Class Room scheme is being implemented in 7500 schools in the state.
- The central government has also launched a similar scheme called as Operation Digital Board Scheme.
About Tamil Nadu
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
Assam CM lays foundation stone of Agar International Trade Centre at Dabidubi
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal laid the foundation stone of Assam Agar International Trade Centre at Dabidubi, Golaghat.
- The ambitious project is expected to provide an environment of investment in agarwood which aims at boosting Assam’s economy.
- The new trade centre would significantly help the farmers and entrepreneurs of Agar to sell their products.
- The Assam Agar International Trade Centre would be a step towards making a self reliant Assam. Reiterating the government’s commitment to double the farmer’s income in the State by 2022.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
SIFCO begins construction of integrated food processing units in Sikkim
- In a boost to organic farming and food production in Sikkim, IFFCO’s organic joint venture, Sikkim IFFCO Organics Ltd. or SIFCO, has initiated construction of two integrated food processing units at Rangpo, East Sikkim. The project would be completed by October 2021 at a cost of around 50 crore rupees.
- Establishment of integrated food processing units in Sikkim is aimed at providing a safer food supply chain to domestic and global consumers. The units would initially process ginger, turmeric, large cardamom and buckwheat, which are the major agricultural products of Sikkim with significant export potential. Sikkim IFFCO Organics would start trading fresh ginger through its agencies in Germany, Italy and other European countries. MoUs for marketing and distribution in North America and Europe have also been signed.
- All products will be 100 per cent organic certified. This is expected to promote sustainable agriculture and promote Green Himalayan Economy through Sikkim, which is already recognized as a 100 per cent organic state. Additionally, the project would contribute towards increasing farmers’ income as the produce will be directly procured from them.
- Capital: Gangtok
- Governor: Ganga Prasad
- Chief minister: Prem Singh Tamang
Maharashtra’s Women & Child welfare dept launches initiative to fulfill nutritional requirements of lactating mothers & children
- Maharashtra’s Women and Child welfare department has launched a new initiative to fulfill the nutritional requirements of lactating mothers and children in the state.
- Women and Child welfare minister Yashomati Thakur inaugurated the platform ‘ TARANG SUPOSHIT MAHARASHTRACHA’ which is based on the interactive voice response system. The platform is expected to create more awareness about the nutritional requirements of women and children in the state.
- Maharashtra stood first in the recently concluded Poshan Mah in the country and now the Women and Child development department is trying to interact directly with lactating mothers and the parents of the children to create awareness about their nutritional requirement with the help of technology. The digital platform Tarang Suposhit Maharashtracha is equipped with the facilities like a helpline, broadcast call, whatsapp chatbot etc.
- The number 8080809063 will give important guidance about the nutritional food, special care to pregnant women, lactating mothers and parents of the children.
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief minister: Uddhav Thackeray
Join General Awareness Crash course for IBPS RRB-IBPS PO/Clerk use code NASA to get 30% discount
CURRENT AFFAIRS: CABINET APPROVALS
PM Modi approves MoU for ICAI to help strengthen Papua New Guinea’s financial and audit knowledge base
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved a Memorandum of Understanding between the Institute of Chartered Accounts of India (ICAI) and the Certified Practising Accountants, Papua New Guinea (CPA PNG) to work together in capacity building and strengthening the Accounting, Financial and Audit Knowledge base in Papua New Guinea.
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) and Certified Practising Accountants Papua New Guinea (CPA PNG) will work together to hold and conduct technical events, seminars and conferences in PNG, establishing possible cooperation and collaboration in areas of Corporate Governance, technical research and advice, quality assurance, forensic accounting, Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and other subjects of mutual interest, share available unrestricted information concerning the accountancy profession in India and PNG and internationally when required, develop the modules for specific subjects for CPA, PNG Examination, to have students and faculty exchange programmes and to to offer short term professional courses in the domain of accounting, finance and audit in PNG.
- The Indian Chartered Accountants (CA) fraternity is helping the local business community and stakeholders on Financial Reporting matters and is held in high esteem. The proposed MoU is expected to consolidate the trust and help to build positive image for Indian Chartered Accountants in Papua New Guinea.ICAI has a strong membership of over 3000 members in Australasia-Oceania Region comprising its chapter in PNG.
About Indian Chartered Accountants (CA):
- President: Atul Kumar Gupta
- Head Quarters: New Delhi
Cabinet Gives Nod To MoU Signed Between India, Nigeria On Space Cooperation
- The Union Cabinet on October 21 gave a go-ahead to the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Nigeria on cooperation in space exploration for peaceful purposes. The Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the MoU that was signed between both the nations in August this year. The MoU was signed between India’s Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and Nigeria’s National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA).
- The MoU signed between India and Nigeria will enable cooperation in areas such as remote sensing of the earth, satellite communication and satellite-based navigation, space science end planetary exploration, use of spacecraft, launch vehicles, space systems and ground systems, and practical applications of space technology including geospatial tools and techniques.
- A Joint Working Group would be set-up keeping in line with the MoU and the members would include officials from ISRO’s Department of Space and NASRDA.
- President: Muhammadu Buhari
- Capital: Abuja
- Currency: Nigerian naira
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Indian diplomat Dr Neena Malhotra appointed as next Ambassador to Republic of San Marino
- Indian diplomat Dr Neena Malhotra has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of San Marino.
- According to an official statement issued by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Dr Malhotra, 1992-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, will have the residence in Rome.
- Presently, she is serving as the Ambassador of India to the Republic of Italy.
About San Marino
- Capital: San Marino
- Currency: Euro
- Continent: Europe
Ghanshyam Jha appointed Chairman of J&K Water Resources Regulatory Authority
- The Government of Jammu and Kashmir Union Territory has appointed Ghanshyam Jha as Chairperson of the Jammu and Kashmir Water Resources Regulatory Authority.
- Jha has formerly been the Chairman of Central Water Commission and Ganga Flood Control Committee.
- The appointment of Chairman shall take effect from the date he assumes the charge of the post in the Authority.
- “The Chairman of the Authority shall not hold any other office. The terms and conditions of the Chairman shall be governed by Government Order No. 528-PW(Hyd) of 2012 dated 17.12.2012. The Headquarters of the authority shall move along with Secretariat offices,” read the order.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Dr Jajini Varghese, Indian-origin oncoplastic surgeon honored Outstanding Young Person 2020
- Dr Jajini Varghese, a UK-based Indian-origin plastic surgeon, has been named an ‘Outstanding Young Person of the World 2020’ by a non-profit NGO for her “incredible” scientific contributions to diagnosing and treating breast cancer.
- The 39-year-old Consultant in Oncoplastic Breast Surgery at Royal Free Hospital and University College London is one of 10 nominations from the UK for the international award, which honours outstanding young people under the age of 40 every year from across 110 countries for extraordinary accomplishments in various fields.
- Varghese has been recognised in the “Medical Innovation” category for making it her personal mission to attempt to restore the lives of millions of women affected by breast cancer and will be presented with the award at a ceremony at the 2020 Junior Chamber International (JCI) World Congress in Yokohama, Japan, in early November “Cancer will not defeat.
- In the UK, she is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Plastic Surgery (FRCS) and a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS). She is also on the Board of Examiners for the MSc in Plastic Surgery at University College London (UCL).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Himachal Pradesh: Mandi district bags top position for implementation of PMGSY
- Himachal Pradesh’s Mandi district has bagged top position among 30 districts of the country in successful implementation of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY). Himachal Pradesh has also secured second position at the national level for construction of roads under PMGSY. Union Ministry of Rural Development has declared the list of top performing 30 districts in the country for implementing the PMGSY programme.
- Mandi district has received top position for constructing roads under PMGSY of maximum length in 2020-21. Six more districts of Himachal Pradesh have also secured position among top 30 best performing districts, which include Chamba, Shimla, Kangra, Una, Sirmour, Hamirpur and Solan.
- The state has also improved its performance under PMGSY programme by constructing 1104 Kilometres roads this year from April till date. PMGSY is a programme funded by the Union government to connect habitations having population of more than 250 in the state.
About Himachal Pradesh:
- Governor: Bandaru Dattatreya
- Capitals: Shimla (Summer), Dharamshala (Winter)
- Chief minister: Jai Ram Thakur
NTPC ranks first among Indian PSUs in Forbes’ ‘World’s Best Employer 2020’
- State-run power company NTPC stated it has featured on the top on the list of Indian PSUs under the ‘World’s Best Employer 2020’, published by Forbes.
- The recognition is testimony to NTPC’s commitment towards inculcating best in class practices that are thoughtfully designed and robustly executed, the company stated in a statement.
- The modules have helped thousands of workers from NTPC to grow and think beyond the professional sphere.
- NTPC has successfully innovated and introduced people practices in the domain of hiring; engagement; diversity and inclusion; rewards and recognition; and performance management.
- In the recent past, the company has initiated an ‘NTPC Series’ on success stories beyond official work, ‘Ambition, Growth, Success Beyond Work’, a series on the achievements of employees beyond their official assignments.
- Founded: 1975
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Indigenous stealth corvette INS Kavaratti commissioned into Navy
- Chief of Army Staff General M M Naravane commissioned the Anti-Submarine Warfare stealth corvette, INS Kavaratti, into the Indian Navy.
- INS Kavaratti is the last in the series of four Anti-Submarine Warfare Corvettes built for the Navy by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited (GRSE), Kolkata, a leading shipyard, under Project 28.
- INS Kavaratti and INS Kiltan are the first two major warships in the country to have the unique feature of superstructure made of Carbon Fiber Composite Material.
- Ships of this class have a displacement of 33,000 tonnes (as a comparison a Kalveri class submarine is 1,565 tonnes), with a span of 109m lengthwise and beam of 13.7m. Along with INS Kamorta, INS Kadmatt and INS Kiltan will form a major part of the Eastern Fleet of the Indian Navy.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Eminent economist Dr. Jayanta Madhab passes away at 91
- A renowned economist, Jayanta Madhab passed away at the age of 91.
- Served as the economic advisor (2003-2009) to the Government of Assam during the tenure of former Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi.
- He was also the founder chairman of NEDFi – North Eastern Development Finance Corporation Ltd (NEDFi). He played a very crucial role in the field of skill development in the state.
First woman IAF officer Wing Commander Vijayalakshmi Ramanan passes away at 96
- The first woman officer of the Indian Air Force (IAF), Wing Commander Vijayalakshmi Ramanan, passed away at the age of 96.
- She had pursued her MBBS from Madras Medical College in 1943. Awarded the best outgoing student in 1948, she went on to do her DGO and MD in obstetrics and gynaecology, and worked at Egmore Maternity Hospital, Chennai.
- Later, she joined the Army Medical Corps in 1955 on Short Service Commission and was seconded to the Air Force as the first lady commissioned officer as a gynaecologist.
Singer and actor Zero Babu passes away
- Playback singer, music director and actor K J Mohammed Babu, popularly known as ‘Zero’ Babu passed away. He was 80.
- Babu attained fame as Zero Babu after he belted out the song ‘Open Zero’ in a play by the late P J Antony. Babu was a recipient of the Sangeetha Nataka Akademi Award and had held numerous stage shows in Dubai, Singapore and Malaysia. Babu has also sung in nearly 90 films and various plays.
DAILY CA 22nd OCT
- Police Commemoration Day is observed every year on October 21
- Global Iodine Deficiency Disorders (IDD) Prevention Day or World Iodine Deficiency Day is observed every year on 21st October
- International Stuttering Awareness Day is observed annually on October 22.
- Surat now has India’ longest BRTS network
- Govt partners with FICCI for “Make-in-Odisha” 2020
- Meghalaya CM launches ‘micro ATM’ service in rural areas
- Sushil Kumar Singhal accredited as next High Commissioner of India to Solomon Islands
- IRDAI sets up panel to examine need for standard cyber liability insurance product
- Managing Director of TRIFED Pravir Krishna bags CEO of the year and visionary leadership award
- 18th meeting of SCO Prosecutors General held via videolink
- 6th India International Science Festival to be held in Virtual format from 22nd to 25th December, 2020
- IIT Kharagpur’s ‘COVIRAP’ – Novel Technology of COVID-19 Test Gets ICMR Certification
- DRDO successfully conducts final trial of Nag anti-tank guided missile in Pokhran range
- UP Emerges As The Top Destination For Domestic Tourists In 2019, Secures Third Position In Attracting Foreign Tourists
- India recorded highest air pollution exposure globally in 2019
- Sporting activities to resume in SAI training centres across country from 1st of Nov: Sports Ministry
- Telangana’s first Home Minister Nayini Narsimha Reddy passes away at 86
DAILY CA 23rd OCT
- Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism (I/C) virtually launches “Life in Miniature” project
- ECI Sets Up Panel To Examine Expenditure Limit For Candidates
- India and US to hold two plus two Ministerial Dialogue on Oct 27
- CBSE introduces facial recognition systems for accessing digital documents
- Dept of Posts to release stamp on 75th anniversary of United Nations
- MSME Minister Nitin Gadkari launches India’s first-ever high quality Khadi Fabric Footwear
- Global trade likely to fall by 7 to 9% in 2020: UNCTAD
- UNDP and EIF partner to develop initiatives for implementation of SDGs and sustainable finance
- FDI in India rises to over 358 billion during 2014-20: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- Nippon Life Invests in World Bank Sustainable Development Bonds and Highlights Support for Nutrition
- ACKO Partners With Finserv MARKETS To Offer Car And Bike Insurance
- AP govt launches YSR Bima scheme
- Uttarakhand CM Rawat Launches Integrated Model Agricultural Village Scheme
- Tamil Nadu govt implements Smart Black Board scheme in 80,000 govt schools
- Assam CM lays foundation stone of Agar International Trade Centre at Dabidubi
- SIFCO begins construction of integrated food processing units in Sikkim
- Maharashtra’s Women & Child welfare dept launches initiative to fulfill nutritional requirements of lactating mothers & children
- PM Modi approves MoU for ICAI to help strengthen Papua New Guinea’s financial and audit knowledge base
- Cabinet Gives Nod To MoU Signed Between India, Nigeria On Space Cooperation
- Indian diplomat Dr Neena Malhotra appointed as next Ambassador to Republic of San Marino
- Ghanshyam Jha appointed Chairman of J&K Water Resources Regulatory Authority
- Dr Jajini Varghese, Indian-origin oncoplastic surgeon honored Outstanding Young Person 2020
- Himachal Pradesh: Mandi district bags top position for implementation of PMGSY
- NTPC ranks first among Indian PSUs in Forbes’ ‘World’s Best Employer 2020’
- Indigenous stealth corvette INS Kavaratti commissioned into Navy
- Eminent economist Dr. Jayanta Madhab passes away at 91
- First woman IAF officer Wing Commander Vijayalakshmi Ramanan passes away at 96
- Singer and actor Zero Babu passes away