Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
Global Family Day
- It is celebrated every year on 1st of January as a day of peace and sharing.
- Its aim is to unite and spread message of peace by considering and promoting an idea that Earth is a one Global Family so as to make world a better place to live for everyone.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
28 UIDAI-run Aadhaar Seva Kendras operational across the country
- The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has opened 28 Aadhaar Seva Kendras (ASK) as part of its plan to open 114 stand-alone Aadhaar Enrolments & Update Centres across the country. These are in addition to about 38,000 Aadhaar enrolment centers run by Banks, Post Offices and State Governments.
- These ASKs which are open on all days of the week, have so far catered to over 3 Lakh residents of which a sizeable number are Divyang persons.
- These centres have a capacity to handle up to 1,000 enrolments and update requests per day and are operational from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. They are closed only on public holidays. UIDAI plans to set up 114 Aadhaar Seva Kendras in 53 cities across the country.
- While Aadhaar enrolment is free, a nominal charge of Rs.50 is payable for updating details like adding mobile number to Aadhaar, updating address, etc
PM to distribute Krishi Karman Awards and 3rd installment of Rs 2000 to 6 crore beneficiaries under PM KISAN
- The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will distribute Krishi Karman Awards and Commendation Awards to states at a public meeting in Tumkur Karnataka on 1.2020. He will also give away Agriculture Minister’s Krishi Karman Awards for Progressive Farmers.
- The event will also witness the release of the 3rd installment of PM Kisan (Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi) of Rs 2000 for the period December 2019-March 2020. This will benefit approximately 6 crore beneficiaries. Prime Minister will also hand over Certificates to beneficiaries under PM Kisan from 8 States/UTs.
- At the same event, Prime Minister will also handover the Keys of Deep Sea fishing Vessels and Fishing Vessel Transponders to select farmers of Tamil Nadu.
- He will also distribute Kisan Credit Cards (KCC) to select farmers of Karnataka
Government launches web portal to block stolen, lost mobile phones
- The government has launched a web portal, ‘Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR)’, to facilitate blocking and tracing of stolen,lost mobile phones in Delhi.
- The CEIR has been undertaken by the Department of Telecom (DoT) for addressing security, theft and other concerns including reprogramming of mobile handsets.
- The launch of the project in Delhi will facilitate – request for blocking of stolen or lost mobile phone by customers; blocking of such mobile phones across mobile networks; sharing of traceability data with the Police; and unblocking of recovered and found stolen or lost mobile phones.
PM Modi’s ‘Pariksha pe Charcha’ programme rescheduled on Jan 20
- Pariksha pe Charcha, the programme in which Prime Minister interacts with the cross section of Students and Teachers from India and abroad to beat exam stress has been rescheduled to 20th January this year.
- The programme was earlier scheduled for 16th of January.
- It has been rescheduled in view of festivals of Pongal, Makar Sankranti, Lohri, Onam across the country.
- Human Resource Development Ministry stated, a lot of excitement and enthusiasm is being seen among the students, teachers and parents to not only participate in the unique event but also to receive valuable tips from the Prime Minister.
EC launches Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System
- The Election Commission has launched a Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System to enable applicants to track the status of the applications.
- The Commission had amended the guidelines for registration last month.
- Under it, applicants, applying for the party registration from 1st of this month will be able to track the progress of applications and will get the status through SMS and e-mail.
- An association seeking registration has to submit an application to the Commission within a period of 30 days from the date of its formation.
About election commission of india:
- Jurisdiction: Government of India
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chief election commissioner: sunil arora
National Green Corps scheme revived in J&K
- The National Green Corps scheme, which was closed for over a decade, has been revived for Jammu and Kashmir. Due to the persistent efforts of J&K Pollution Control Board, PCB, the Environment Education, Awareness and Training scheme of Union Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change for National Green Corps (Eco-Clubs) has been revived.
- J&K PCB put efforts for the revival of the scheme in the State Nodal Agency (SNA) meet organized by MoEFCC at Kevadia in Gujarat.
- Accordingly, the Environment and Forests Ministry has approved the release of Grant-in-Aid of 60 crore rupees to J&K PCB.
- Under this scheme, the PCB would provide financial assistance to 3,742 Eco Clubs of registered schools in both the regions of the Union Territory along with 96 Eco Clubs of registered colleges, for which funds would soon be released via Direct Bank Transfer by the Board.
About J&K National park:
- Dachigam National Park
- Kazinag National Park
- Kishtwar National Park
- Salim Ali National Park
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Pacific Island nation Palau bans ‘reef-toxic’ sunscreen
- Palau’s pioneering ban on “reef-toxic” sunscreens takes effect on 1st jan 2020. The tiny Pacific island nation introduced strict environmental measures.
- Palau is renowned for its marine life and is regarded as one of the world’s best diving destinations. But, the government is concerned this poses an environmental cost.
- President Tommy Remengesau stated there was scientific evidence that chemicals found in most sunscreens were toxic to corals.
- From New Year’s day, any reef-toxic sunscreen imported or sold in Palau will be confiscated and the owner will be fined. Along with the ban, Palau’s much-touted marine sanctuary came into effect on January 1.
- This closes 80 per cent of its exclusive economic zone to fishing and other marine activities including mining and shark finning.
- It follows Palau’s establishment of the world’s first shark sanctuary in 2009.
- Capital: Ngerulmud
- Currency: US dollar
At 67,385, India records highest number of babies born globally on New Year’s Day: UNICEF
- Nearly 400,000 babies were born around the world on New Year’s Day with India recording the highest number of these births worldwide at 67,385, the UN children’s agency
- An estimated 392,078 babies were born around the world on New Year’s Day, according to UNICEF.
- Of this, an estimated 67,385 babies were born in India, the most globally. China comes in second with 46,299 births.
“The beginning of a new year and a new decade is an opportunity to reflect on our hopes and aspirations not only for our future, but the future of those who will come after us,” UNICEF Executive Director Henrietta Fore stated.
- Globally, over half of these births were estimated to have taken place in eight countries – India (67,385), China (46,299), Nigeria (26,039), Pakistan (16,787), Indonesia (13,020), United States of America (10,452), Democratic Republic of Congo (10,247) and Ethiopia (8,493).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
RBI launches mobile app for visually challenged to identify denomination of currency notes
- Reserve Bank of India, RBI has launched a mobile app, MANI, Mobile Aided Note Identifier, to help visually challenged people to identify denomination of currency notes.
- The app, which is available both on Android and iOS operating systems, was launched by RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das in Mumbai
- RBI stated that the visually challenged can identify the denomination of a note by using the application, which can also work offline once it is installed. Through the downloaded app, users can scan the notes using the camera. The audio output will give the result in Hindi and English.
GST collection rises to Rs 1.03 lakh crore in December for second time in a row
- For a second time in a row, the GST revenue collection remained above the Rs 1 lakh crore mark with December mop-up at Rs 1.03 lakh crore indicating a pick-up in consumption.
- GST collection in November stood at Rs 1,03,492 crore.Before that it was in July when the mop-up crossed the Rs 1 lakh crore mark at Rs 1.02 lakh crore. The GST collection stood at Rs 94,726 crore in December 2018.
- Of the gross Rs 1,03,184 crore last month, CGST is Rs 19,962 crore, SGST is Rs 26,792 crore, IGST is Rs 48,099 crore (including Rs 21,295 crore collected on imports) and Cess is Rs 8,331 crore (including Rs 847 crore collected on imports).
- The total revenue earned by the Centre and state governments after regular settlement in December 2019 is Rs 41,776 crore for CGST and Rs 42,158 crore for SGST. The government has set an ambitious Rs 1.1 lakh crore monthly GST target for the remaining part of the current fiscal and asked taxmen to step up efforts to achieve the goal.
- During December 2019, Arunachal Pradesh recorded more than two-fold jump in GST collection to Rs 58 crore from Rs 26 crore in the same month previous year. It was followed by Nagaland witnessing 88 per cent increase, Manipur 64 per cent and Mizoram 60 per cent.
- However, Union Territory Lakshadweep recorded 78 per cent decline in GST collection to Rs 1 crore and Jharkhand posted decline of 3 per cent at Rs 1,943 crore.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Flipkart partners with government’s DAY-NULM to empower MSMEs
- E-commerce giant, Flipkart has announced a tie-up with the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana — National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM) to train, support and provide market access to artisans, self-help groups (SHGs) and those who deal with raw, organic food production.
- The initiative is aimed to help small businesses explore wide markets through the Flipkart’s platform.
- Under the memorandum of understanding between Flipkart and the ministry, the e-commerce firm will collaborate with state missions under the DAY-NULM to establish the Flipkart Samarth program in 22 states in the country. It will provide time-bound incubation support to the sellers including cataloguing support, account management support and more.
- With deeper internet penetration and cheap data plans, e-commerce has become a vital tool of businesses in India and the market is pegged to grow to 200 billion in 2026 from 4.5 billion in 2018. With the government allowing 100 per cent FDI in B2B e-commerce and the online marketplace model, e-commerce firms in India have attracted a lot of global investments.
FSSAI launches ‘Verified Milk Vendor Scheme’ in Gujarat
- FSSAI to bring loose milk suppliers under the regulatory ambit
- In a first for India, the unorganised milk suppliers or vendors will now be brought under the monitoring through a verification programme.
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has launched ‘Verified Milk Vendors Scheme’ in Gujarat with an aim to cover milk producers and milk vendors under the regulation net.
- Under the new scheme, all the unorganised milk producers and vendors in Gujarat will be issued identity cards by taking their registration.
- Founded: August 2011
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Rita Teaotia(Chairperson)
- Parent agency: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
11-day long ‘Dhanu Jatra’ begins at Bargarh in western Odisha
- The famous 11-day long ‘Dhanu Jatra’, considered as the largest open-air theatre of the world begins at Bargarh in western Odisha.
- The Jatra is based on the mythological story of Lord Krishna and his demon uncle King Kansa. It is about the episode of Krishna and Balaram’s visit to Mathura to witness the Dhanu ceremony organized by their (maternal) uncle King Kansa.
- Dhanu Jatra is the annual drama-based open-air theatrical performance celebrated in and around Bargarh city is considered to be the world’s largest open-air theatrical festival that finds a mention in the Guinness Book of World Records.
- The annual festival came into being in 1947-48 to celebrate Indian’s Independence and to symbolize the victory of good over evil.
- Over 70 artists performed in the Dhanu Yatra at Mathura, another 45 artists played different roles at Gopapura during the festival. This apart, around 3,000 artists of 120 cultural troupes from across the state and from neighboring states will perform at the Raj Durbar, Nanda Durbar, and Rangamahal during the festival.
- The department of Culture of the Government of India has accorded National Festival status to Dhanu Jatra in November 2014.
Festivals celebrated in Odisha
- Rath Yatra, it is also called as Chariot Festival. This festival is generally held in months of June or July. Pilgrims from all over the world come to visit this festival which commences in the month of Jyestha on a full moon day.
- Konark Dance Festival is a five-day celebration starting from 1st December till 5th December. During these five days, renowned dancers from all over the country come to showcase their talent at the Konark Natya Mandap.
- In the Hindu month of Kartik (October – November), the city of Cuttack in Odisha celebrates a renowned festival known as Bali Jatra.
- Nuakhai is an annual harvest festival in Odisha, celebrated to welcome the season’s new rice. Celebrated a day after Ganesh Chaturthi.
- Capital: Bhubaneshwar
- CM: Naveen Patnaik
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
Entire Nagaland declared ‘disturbed’, AFSPA extended for six more months
- The Centre declared the whole of Nagaland as a “disturbed” area under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958, for a further period of six months.
- The area comprising whole of Nagaland is in such a disturbed condition that the use of armed forces in aid of civil power is necessary.
- In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 3 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (No. 28 of 1958).
- Nagaland has been under AFSPA for almost six decades now and it was not withdrawn even after a framework agreement was signed on August 3, 2015, by Naga insurgent group National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Isak Muivah) General Secretary Thuingaleng Muivah and government interlocutor R.N. Ravi in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- It also remains in force in Assam, most of Manipur, and three districts and areas falling under the jurisdiction of four police stations in Arunachal Pradesh.
The Ministry of Home Affairs had last time extended the operation AFSPA in Nagaland for another six months with effect from June 30 this year which ended on December 29.
- Capital: Kohima.
- Governor: Ravindra Narayana Ravi.
- Chief minister: Neiphiu Rio.
Odisha government launches e-certificate project
- The Odisha government has launched a unique “people-friendly” project to provide official documents such as income, residence and similar other certificates online without any fees.
- Without visiting government offices, people can now apply for these certificates online under the e-certificate project launched by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik for the Revenue and Disaster Management department as part of the 5T model of governance.
- The move aims at benefiting over 5 million applicants annually, revolutionising peoples life.
- Recruiting agencies and educational institutions have also been asked by the Revenue department to allow applicants to self-declare their caste and residence status. After provisional selection, applicants can be called upon to produce certificates for scrutiny.
- Patnaik also launched “Pauti”, an App to facilitate online payment of land revenue and people need not visit government offices for the purpose. They can download the application and make payment.
Khattar launches Atal Canteen in Karnal
- KarnaHaryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar inaugurated the state’s first Atal Kisan-Mazdoor canteens at the Karnal grain market.
- At this canteen, farmers and labourers coming to the mandi will get a Veg-thali comprising four chapatis, rice, dal and seasonal vegetable, all for Rs 10.
- The canteen will function from 11am-3pm everyday and for now, it has the capacity to serve 300 persons.
- Ten women from a self-help group (SHG) have been appointed to prepare the food.
- The canteens are named after former PM late Atal Bihari Vajpayee, but the government failed to launch it on his birthday on December 25.
- Karnal Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar unveiled a 14-foot statue of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee at the Atal Park.
- Khattar also inaugurated and laid the foundation stones of developmental projects worth Rs 14.8 crore. He also flagged off a “Save Earth- Bicycle Rally“from Sector 12.
Kerala Becomes First State To Pass Anti-CAA Resolution
- Kerala became the first state to pass a resolution against the Citizenship Amendment Act amid widespread protests across the country.
- Chief Ministers of several non-BJP ruled states including Bengal, Punjab, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Delhi, had previously voiced their opposition to the law.
- However, Kerala is now the first state to go down the legislature route to register its opposition.
10,000 cameras to be used in Gujarat Lion Census, 2020
- The Wildlife Institute of India (WII) is to conduct Asiatic Lion Census in May 2020. The Institute will use 10,000 cameras to conduct the census.
- In 2015, the WII counted 523 lions in Gujarat. It is expected that the numbers have risen phenomenally and the population must have crossed 1,000.
- The census is to adopt the technology of National Tiger Conservation Authority. The entire census area is to be divided in to 3-km grid.
- Officers will collect hair, nails, teeth, etc. The collection process is to be carried out using scientific methods laid out by NTCA.
Around 1,000 to 2,000 officers are to be employed. In the second phase, 10,000 cameras are to be used to capture the lions.
About Gujarat national parks:
- Blackbuck National Park, Velavadar
- Gir National Park
- Marine National Park, Gulf of Kutch
- Vansda National Park
AP: Sand delivery at doorstep from Jan 2
- The Andhra Pradesh Government is planning to introduce door delivery of sand in the New Year and as a pilot project it will first be taken up in Krishna district and then extended to other districts.
- The decision was taken at a review meeting chaired by Chief Minister Y.S Jaganmohan Reddy. It may be noted that sand scarcity hit the construction sector badly during the past few months.
- After a hue and cry from the opposition parties and the public, the State Government initiated the corrective measures and now the position has eased considerably.
- The chief minister had left instructions that GPS should be arranged for vehicles carrying sand and strict steps should be taken to check smuggling of sand to other states. The consumers should have no difficulty in getting sand and should be stocked in preparation for the next monsoon.
Recent news related to Andhra pradesh:
- South India’s earliest Sanskrit Inscription found in A.P.
- Andhra Pradesh launches ‘Nadu-Nedu’ programme
- ASI: Gottiporlu-a historic trade centre
- YSR Vahana Mitra scheme: launched in Andhra Pradesh
Kerala Travel Mart to support Green Cochin Mission
- Kerala Travel Mart (KTM) Society is set to implement the initiatives under the nascent Green Cochin Mission as its major policy programme to speed up the ongoing efforts to free Kerala’s top tourist city of waste.
- The Green Cochin Mission, which was inaugurated on December 20, enjoys the assistance of Kochi Corporation, district administration, Kerala Suchitwa Mission, Indian Medical Association, Childline India, Justice Brigade, Haritha Keralam, National Health Mission and Motor Vehicles Department besides educational institutes, NGOs and other private agencies.
- The Green Cochin Mission is aiming, among others, to rejuvenate the city’s canals and check encroachment so as to achieve its zero pollution of soil and water alongside greening Kochi. Its social media wing, too, is working full swing, while trying to rope in taxi and auto-rickshaw drivers besides roadside vendors.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
CRPF DG Bhatnagar retires; ITBP chief given addl charge
- ITBP Director General S S Deswal has been given the “additional” charge to head country’s largest paramilitary force CRPF as its serving DG, R R Bhatnagar.
- Bhatnagar, is retiring after heading the Central Reserve Police Force for over 2.5 years. He was appointed CRPF Director General (DG) in April, 2017.
- Deswal, will hold the CRPF charge.
- The CRPF is not only India’s but also the world’s largest paramilitary force with over 3.25 lakh personnel in its ranks and is categorised as the lead internal security, law and order maintenance and anti-Naxal operations conducting force of the country.
- It was raised as the Crown Representatives Police (CRP) in 1939 under the British and post Independence, named as CRPF in 1949.
- Motto– Service and Loyalty
- Formation– 27 July 1939
- It played an important role in wiping out terrorism, in which they made supreme sacrifices for internal security duties, including at the war theatres with China in October 1959 and with Pakistan at Sardar Post, Kutch in Gujarat in 1965. CRPF received 75 bravery medals are the highest for any force.
Umaro Cissoko Embalo wins Guinea-Bissau presidential election
- Guinea-Bissau opposition leader Umaro Cissoko Embalo, a former prime minister, won the presidential election with 53.55 percent of votes.
- His rival Domingos Simoes Pereira, head of the country’s ruling PAIGCparty, took 46.45 percent.
- Embalo is a reserve brigadier general who favours wearing a red-and-white Arab keffiyeh headdress.
- He was also a prime minister, he served under Vaz – between 2016 and 2018, before representing Madem, a party formed by PAIGC rebels.
- Capital: Bissau
- Currency: West African CFA franc
Vinod Kumar Yadav re-appointed as Chairman Railway Board for one year
- Vinod Kumar Yadav has been reappointed as Chairman Railway Board, in the rank of Ex-Officio Principal Secretary to Government of India.
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has approved his re-employment as Chairman, Railway Board for a period of one year w.e.f January 1, 2020.
Centre appoints Rohan Shah as Governor on ERIA Board
- Ministry of Commerce and Industry has appointed Rohan Shah, a practicing counsel at the Supreme Court, as India’s Representative and Governor on the board of Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (“ERIA”).
- The appointment is for a period of three years. The Board of ERIA meets once in every six months in Jakarta and then in Japan.
- Each of the 17 members of the ASEAN appoints a Governor to the ERIA board which usually includes Ministers, ex-Ministers and senior industry leaders. India’s previous nominees as Governor have included Ratan Tata, Rajiv Kumar (currently Vice-Chairman, NITI Aayog) and economist Ajit Ranade.
- Shah is a practicing counsel at the Supreme Court and in various High Courts specialising in tax, trade and other corporate issues. He had previously been associated with India’s WTO trade negotiations as an Industry Representative, including, with Arun Jaitley (the then Minister of Commerce) at Cancún in 2003.
- Formation– 3 June 2008
- Headquarters– Indonesia Jakarta
- It is an international organization formed by the Governments of the ASEAN(Association of Southeast Asian Nations) countries & leaders of 16 countries in the East Asian region focusing on research and policy formulation related to economic integration, cross border trade issues and closing development gaps in the ASEAN region.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Krish Srikkanth, Anjum Chopra to receive CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award
- Former India captain and member of the 1983 World Cup – winning team Krishnamachari Srikkanth will be the recipient of this year’s prestigious CK Nayudu Lifetime Award given by the BCCI.
- Former India women’s captain Anjum Chopra is the co-recipient of the lifetime achievement award for the year 2019.
- The BCCI Annual Award function will be held in Mumbai on January 12 ahead of the first ODI against Australia on January 14.
- The 42-year-old Anjum is considered to be one of India’s finest batswomen before Mithali Raj.
Sanjay Gupta of ”Jagran” to be honoured with Lokmanya Tilak journalism award
- Sanjay Gupta, the editor-in-chief of ”Jagran”, will be honoured with the ”Lokmanya Tilak National Journalism Award” for his contribution to the fieid of journalism.
- The award, instituted by the Kesari-Maratha Trust, will be conferred on Gupta in Pune, coinciding with the 139th Foundation Day of ”Kesari” — the newspaper started by Lokmanya Tilak.
- The award consists of Rs 1 lakh and a memento. Earlier, this award has been conferred upon well-known journalists and editors such as Vir Sanghvi, N. Ram, H. K. Dua, Vinod Metha and Siddharth Varadarajan.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
ISRO acquiring land in TN for its 2,300-acre second launch centre
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has earmarked 2,300 acres of land in Thoothukudi district, Tamil Nadu, to set up its second launch centre after the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota.
- The country’s premier space agency is in the process of acquiring the land for a yet-to-be-named new launch centre. ISRO chairman K Sivan stated that the new centre was part of ISRO’s capacity-building exercise.
- The new launch centre will be initially meant for missions involving launching small satellites and small satellite launch vehicles (SSLVs).
- To carry forward the industry production of space systems, ISRO incorporated New Space India Limited (NSIL) under the Department of Space and efforts in realising PSLVs from industry have already been initiated.
- Efforts are on to transfer manufacturing ISRO’s workhorse launcher, the polar satellite launch vehicle (PSLV), to the private industry and ISRO is looking at a total of five PSLV launchers is expected to be ready by
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
S Dhoni picked captain of ESPN Cricinfo’s ODI and T20 teams of past decade
- Former India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni was picked as captain of ESPN Cricinfo’s ODI and Twenty20 teams of the decade, while Virat Kohli was named the leader in Tests.
- The criteria, set by the 23-member panel, for selection was a minimum of 50 Tests or six active years in the traditional format while it was 75 ODIs and 100 T20s for the limited-overs teams.
- Kuldeep Yadav, and Yuzvendra Chahal, were the only other Indians to make the Test XI, which also featured England’s Alastair Cook and New Zealand’s Kane Williamson. Kohli scored 7202 runs in this period at an impressive average of 54.97 while Ashwin took 362 wickets at 25.36. Rohit Sharma with 7991 runs was also named in the ODI XI.
- Jasprit Bumrah found a place, alongside Kohli and Dhoni in the T20 XI, dominated by Caribbean players. As many as five West Indies players were named in the team, including Universe boss Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo, Sunil Narine, Kieron Pollard and Andre Russell.
- Former skipper Mithali Raj and fast bowler Jhulan Goswami were named in the same women’s team picked for both the ODIs and T20s. Australia’s inspirational cricketer, Meg Lanning was named the captain of the side.
ICC plans to scrap five-day Tests from 2023
- Cricket’s apex body, the International Cricket Council, plans to scrap five-day Tests from The ICC could make four-day Tests mandatory from 2023 as part of the World Test Championship, primarily to free up the crowded calendar.
- Tests have been played over five days through most of their 140-year history. England has backed the plan.
A spokesperson of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) stated, it could provide a sustainable solution to the complex scheduling needs and players’ workloads.
- Cricket Australia’s chief executive Kevin Roberts emphasised the need to seriously consider the matter. A four-day Test is not a new concept. The last such Test was played between England and Ireland earlier this year. South Africa and Zimbabwe too played one in 2017.
- Chairperson: Shashank Manohar
- CEO: Manu Sawhney
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Founded: 15 June 1909
- Membership: 104 members
Third Khelo India youth games to be held in Guwahati in Jan 2020
- The third Khelo India youth games will be held in Guwahati between 10th and 22nd of next month. Six thousand five hundred athletes from 37 teams will take part in the event.Cycling and lawn ball have been introduced as new disciplines in the games.
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal launched the torch relay of the competition in Guwahati. The torch will be carried to all district headquarters to elicit the cooperation of the people for the success of the Games.
- Mr Sonowal asked the people of Assam to create a fantastic environment for all the athletes who will be participating in the competitions.
- The opening ceremony of the third Khelo India Youth Games will take place at the Indira Gandhi Stadium in Guwahati on January 10 before the athletes take part in their respective events in full flow.
About khelo india youth games:
- Khelo India Youth Games, formerly Khelo India School Games, meaning Play India Youth Games, held annually in January or February, are the national level multidisciplinary grassroot games in India held for two categories, namely under-17 years school students and under-21 college students.
- First event: 2018 , location – new delhi
- 2019, location-Pune, Maharashtra
- 2020, location- Guwahati , Assam
- Occur every: Annual
- Purpose: Grassroot talent hunt
- Headquarters: New Delhi
Australia pacer Peter Siddle announces retirement from international cricket
- Australia paceman Peter Siddle has announced his retirement from international cricket at the age of 35 after taking 221 wickets in a distinguished 67-Test career.
- Siddle broke the news to his teammates at the Melbourne Cricket Ground after being released from the squad for the third and final test against New Zealand in Sydney.
- Siddle will continue to play domestic cricket for Victoria state and Twenty20 side Adelaide Strikers in the Big Bash League, along with English county cricket for Essex.
DAILY CA-31st DECEMBER
- Indian Railways introduces New Passenger friendly Information System at Anakapalle Station in Vijayawada Division
- Indian Railways to Launch Tejas Express on Ahmedabad-Mumbai Route
- CCTV in all railway stations and coaches by March 2022: Railway Board Chairman
- Date of linking Aadhaar and PAN extended till March 2020
- PM Modi to inaugurate Science Congress in Bengaluru
- Brazil fines Facebook$1.6 mn for improper sharing of user data
- The Netherlands drops ‘Holland‘ as a Nickname
- Sri Lankan govt says Batticaloa airport to be developed as an international airport
- First elephant colony in Madhya Pradesh
- Annual Flamingo Festival at Pulicat Lake
- Kerala startup mission to organise second Scalathon for start-ups
- RBI buys Rs.10,000 crore worth government securities via OMO
- MOSPI constitutes Standing Committee on Economic Statistics headed by Pronab Sen
- RBI proposes to tighten lending norms for UCBs
- Indian Bank to revise MCLR from January 3
- Grameena bank signs MoU on sustainable energy solutions
- Bipin Rawat appointed India’s first tri-services chief
- Ajit Pawar Takes Oath as Deputy CM of Maharashtra
- Ilaiyaraja selected for Harivarasanam award for 2020
- Noted writers Nemade, Gynanranjan get Akashdeep Sanman awards
- Astronaut Christina Koch sets new record for longest single space flight by a woman
- Venkaiah Naidu releases book on Arun Jaitley on his birth anniversary
- 100th Consecutively Successful Launch of Sounding Rocket RH-200 from TERLS
- The India state of forest report 2019
- Kerala tops SDG index; Bihar at last rank
- 49th border coordination conference between BSF, BGB in Delhi
- Cristiano Ronaldo bags best men’s player at Dubai Globe Soccer Awards
- Weightlifter Seema banned for four years for doping
- IOA withdraws boycott call for 2022 Commonwealth Games
DAILY CA-1st and 2nd January
- Global Family Day– 1st January
- 28 UIDAI-run Aadhaar Seva Kendras operational across the country
- PM to distribute Krishi Karman Awards and 3rd installment of Rs 2000 to 6 crore beneficiaries under PM KISAN
- Government launches web portal to block stolen, lost mobile phones
- PM Modi’s ‘Pariksha pe Charcha’ programme rescheduled on Jan 20
- EC launches Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System
- National Green Corps scheme revived in J&K
- Pacific Island nation Palau bans ‘reef-toxic’ sunscreen
- At 67,385, India records highest number of babies born globally on New Year’s Day: UNICEF
- RBI launches mobile app for visually challenged to identify denomination of currency notes
- GST collection rises to Rs 1.03 lakh crore in December for second time in a row
- Flipkart partners with government’s DAY-NULM to empower MSMEs
- FSSAI launches ‘Verified Milk Vendor Scheme’ in Gujarat
- 11-day long ‘Dhanu Jatra’ begins at Bargarh in western Odisha
- Entire Nagaland declared ‘disturbed‘, AFSPA extended for six more months
- Odisha government launches e-certificate project
- Khattar launches Atal Canteen in Karnal
- Kerala Becomes First State To Pass Anti-CAA Resolution
- 10,000 cameras to be used in Gujarat Lion Census, 2020
- AP:Sand delivery at doorstep from Jan 2
- Kerala Travel Mart to support Green Cochin Mission
- CRPF DG Bhatnagar retires; ITBP chief given additional charge
- Umaro Cissoko Embalo wins Guinea-Bissau presidential election
- Vinod Kumar Yadav re-appointed as Chairman Railway Board for one year
- Centre appoints Rohan Shah as Governor on ERIA Board
- Krish Srikkanth, Anjum Chopra to receive CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award
- Sanjay Gupta of ‘‘Jagran’‘ to be honoured with Lokmanya Tilak journalism award
- ISRO acquiring land in TN for its 2,300-acre second launch centre
- S Dhoni picked captain of ESPN Cricinfo’s ODI and T20 teams of past decade
- ICC plans to scrap five-day Tests from 2023
- Third Khelo India youthgames to be held in Guwahati in Jan 2020
- Australia pacer Peter Siddle announces retirement from international cricket